hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is Scottish football just too overpriced?

Well im a former season ticket holder or maybe 10 years and only now go to Easter Road occasionally. Apart from the fact that watching Hibs can be quite painful and downright depressing. I have limited disposable income these days and have to watch the cash. £20 category A games, £15 category B games, Kids between 6-15 no more than £10 and 5 and under for free?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Obsessed with the Hibees son of haggart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DuffyHFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well im a former season ticket holder or maybe 10 years and only now go to Easter Road occasionally. Apart from the fact that watching Hibs can be quite painful and downright depressing. I have limited disposable income these days and have to watch the cash. £20 category A games, £15 category B games, Kids between 6-15 no more than £10 and 5 and under for free?
    I htink that's what SPL football is worth, but unfortunately the clubs would go bust if that's what they charged

It is so over priced it is not true.

sounds ok,especially under 5s for free,hate it when the steward sometimes never let me in with my son from 1 to 5years then and made me pay 12 bucks especially as they don't really watch the game its just to get them into the hibs for when they get older,plus the season ticket price for kids in the east is terrible when it is considerably cheaper in the cowshed

Quote Originally Posted by son of haggart View Post
    I htink that's what SPL football is worth, but unfortunately the clubs would go bust if that's what they charged
    Some quicker than others
    This is how it feels

Simple answer YES..it's rarely value for money.

Don't get me started on the food prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Some quicker than others

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: StevenHibs
    Unfortunately Scottish football doesn't have a decent structure to it. Look at the German league, they were in a mess about 10-15 years ago, but they sorted themselves out. Now they charge like £50-£60 for a season ticket. Low prices generate high crowds, which generates clubs more money and so forth. We need to do something similar. Our game is dying, and the rebranding has not and will not help us. We need to get rid if your Doncasters/Regans.

Left by mutual consent!
    Yes

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenStar View Post
    Simple answer YES..it's rarely value for money.

Don't get me started on the food prices.
    How they can justify £2.40 for a bottle of coke is beyond me.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Testimonial Due
    Blog Entries
    If nobody buys it then the price will come down

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    How they can justify £2.40 for a bottle of coke is beyond me.
    I have stopped buying food and drink at games recently because it is just that a rip off.The food is often warm at best and often not that appetising

Left by mutual consent! SouthamptonHibs's Avatar
    £20 for Adults and £10 for kids and OAP's.
    19 games would mean season ticket £380 and £190 kids. (Maybe offer free entry to a couple of glamour home friendlies as an incentive)
    Those prices are within 90% of people budget.

The clubs should pay us to watch it half the time

Left by mutual consent! SouthamptonHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marleyhib View Post
    The clubs should pay us to watch it half the time
    10/10 agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_Hibs View Post
    Unfortunately Scottish football doesn't have a decent structure to it. Look at the German league, they were in a mess about 10-15 years ago, but they sorted themselves out. Now they charge like £50-£60 for a season ticket. Low prices generate high crowds, which generates clubs more money and so forth. We need to do something similar. Our game is dying, and the rebranding has not and will not help us. We need to get rid if your Doncasters/Regans.
    Germany has done many things which are to be admired and could be copied....... but the truth is that they have a top league of 18 clubs with a population of 80 million to draw support from and more than decent TV money .... we have neither of these and they are big factors in being able to drop prices. If Hibs were to charge £60 for a season ticket they would need to sell 30,000 of the bloomin' things.

I am not saying the prices are not steep, or even value for money a lot of the time, but with the season we have coming up dropping prices would be nuts.

The one thing we could do is find a way to persuade the TV folk to bin these lunch time kick offs ... I dont know about other clubs, but Hibs home crowds for these games are usually poor. Whats the point of TV money when 3 or 4 thousand is shaved off the crowd with the game being televised.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthamptonHibs View Post
    £20 for Adults and £10 for kids and OAP's.
    19 games would mean season ticket £380 and £190 kids. (Maybe offer free entry to a couple of glamour home friendlies as an incentive)
    Those prices are within 90% of people budget.
    For what it's worth, I paid £295 for my season ticket at the Reebok, which is the same price as was being charged for EPL games two years ago. I've often considered buying a Hibs season ticket even in the knowledge that I won't make every game, but £410 a pop is mental.

I must admit that in the past season or two, if I've had a choice of a Hibs home game at £22 or a Bolton away game at £22-£25 then I've generally gone for the latter (though I'll be at the Ross County game in a couple of weeks rather than Millwall away, albeit that's as much to do with train prices).

Left by mutual consent!
    Yep.

No its not overpriced however, players wages are over priced (esp. the guys that imitate footballers i.e. folk like Vine, Matt Docherty - ken he's left but it's an example) which drives the price the punter pays at the gate.

I think half the trouble is that we have to compete for players (and a viewing audience) with English clubs who have huge TV money. A lot of players aren't worth what they're paid but everything is inflated by the billion-pound rights deals. The German comparison doesn't work because the German market is just that: German. German kids don't support English teams.

When Celtic's best players are going to Norwich and Southampton you can see something is skewed.

Not true. Germany's potential audience is incomparable to Scotland's too

@hibs.net private member Gerard's Avatar
    It is a matter of opinion if any product of service is too expensive. The EPL teams get 10 of millions of money from media rights and tends to have a much bigger support for the clubs in it, compared to the SPL. If the players were to be paid less wages and if all the salaried staff were to also accept lesser wages, perhaps the ticket price would be reduced. The problem is that we would have only part time players and part time admin staff.
    G

@hibs.net private member cocopops1875's Avatar
    Who charges £50-60 fora season book in Germany ?
    Doing the 2013 Edinburgh half Marathon for McMillan it would be awesome if anyone fancies sponsoring me, http://www.justgiving.com/colin-smith1875 ,go on make a fat man run

£60 for a season ticket?

Which club charges that and is that for an adult?

That's about £3 a game!

Obsessed with the Hibees son of haggart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    £60 for a season ticket?

Which club charges that and is that for an adult?

That's about £3 a game!
    Last year - second column is cheapest adult season

http://www.theguardian.com/news/data...-league-europe

Bayern Munich 540 67 58 12
    Bayer Leverkusen 450 133 63 10
    Borussia Dortrmund 823 303 50 13
    Frankfurt 635 267 40 9
    Freiburg 590 307 50 8
    Mainz 516 155 34 10
    Schalke 735 303 43 12
    Monchenglad-bach 511 274 37 13
    Stuttgart 607 145 60 12
    Hamburg 603 230 78 11
    Hannover 278 75 43 11
    Werder Bremen 498 141 50 6
    Fortuna Dusseldorf 574 212 38 10

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    The current standard isn't even worth 15 quid for a ticket. 15 quid for the pleasure of scooping your own eyes out with a spoon. (Spoon not included, unless you pay for hospitality!)

The Germans have got it right. I'm not suggesting clubs here should start selling season tickets as low as £60, but theres no reason why we can't have a similar system in place, that will still see prices drop, even if it's not a dramatic drop.

@hibs.net private member
    Scottish football is caught between a rock and a hard place on pricing - we want to see good teams on the park but are competing in the same markets for players as English clubs who have the luxury of not relying so heavily on the pundits through the turnstiles as they can fall back on silly money received from television deals.

Therefore Scottish clubs have to charge a fair whack on the gate or they will not be able to compete in the transfer market - punters will then get even more sick at the level of football on display and then the problem gets worse!

So - no I don't think we pay over the odds for the priviledge of watching a game (that said, for games televised at midday on Sunday etc they're pushing it asking for £28!)

Prices for half time food etc are another matter - I feel at Hibs in particular we frighten families and punters in general away with the OTT prices asked for crap food.

@hibs.net private member cocopops1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by son of haggart View Post
    Last year - second column is cheapest adult season

http://www.theguardian.com/news/data...-league-europe

Bayern Munich 540 67 58 12
    Bayer Leverkusen 450 133 63 10
    Borussia Dortrmund 823 303 50 13
    Frankfurt 635 267 40 9
    Freiburg 590 307 50 8
    Mainz 516 155 34 10
    Schalke 735 303 43 12
    Monchenglad-bach 511 274 37 13
    Stuttgart 607 145 60 12
    Hamburg 603 230 78 11
    Hannover 278 75 43 11
    Werder Bremen 498 141 50 6
    Fortuna Dusseldorf 574 212 38 10
    So are they Adult season tickets ? The £67 ones ? And if they are how many are available at that price ?, Don't get me wrong the German's do well by the fans (we went to see 1860 Munich 2 years ago)cheap seats were 12euros, programme was 2euro, beer was reasonable and the food was fantastic (maybe the same price as Easter road but for a real pizza that tasted amazing) plus your ticket covered the train travel from town to ground and back again, But it's a myth that it's way cheaper than other leagues
    Doing the 2013 Edinburgh half Marathon for McMillan it would be awesome if anyone fancies sponsoring me, http://www.justgiving.com/colin-smith1875 ,go on make a fat man run

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    Scottish football is caught between a rock and a hard place on pricing - we want to see good teams on the park but are competing in the same markets for players as English clubs who have the luxury of not relying so heavily on the pundits through the turnstiles as they can fall back on silly money received from television deals.

Therefore Scottish clubs have to charge a fair whack on the gate or they will not be able to compete in the transfer market - punters will then get even more sick at the level of football on display and then the problem gets worse!

So - no I don't think we pay over the odds for the priviledge of watching a game (that said, for games televised at midday on Sunday etc they're pushing it asking for £28!)

Prices for half time food etc are another matter - I feel at Hibs in particular we frighten families and punters in general away with the OTT prices asked for crap food.
    Don't disagree but if the price of the food is a major factor why not just eat before going into the ground or take small snacks in to the ground? It's only a couple of hours.

Agree with your other point though, I think its not value for money but it costs what it needs to cost in order for us to compete with English clubs for players.
    The only thing I would day though is that I don't see why category a games have to be more expensive, I realise there's higher policing costs etc but surely the fact there'll be a bigger crowd anyway should cover that. I've got a season ticket but if I never I certainly wouldn't have been paying £28 for a game that's on the tele.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSimplyHibs View Post
    No its not overpriced however, players wages are over priced (esp. the guys that imitate footballers i.e. folk like Vine, Matt Docherty - ken he's left but it's an example) which drives the price the punter pays at the gate.
    Good and valid point.