hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: James Collins

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic

James Collins

Really hope I'm wrong In saying this as I do like his work rate but as a footballer he is starting to remind me of Colin Nish. I feel like he could play all night and not score. What does everyone else think? Again really hope I'm proved wrong and he starts rattling them in but as thing stands he's not good enough and we need better

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    Cant seem to trap a ball. Numerous times it comes to him and he cant control it.

Agree lots of running but its either running deep for it or in the channels but sadly no where that takes him near goal.

How many chances did he get tonight? One half chance?

I like Collins. I think with the right service, he'll score.

Not his greatest game tonight but I do like him and think he will come good. He's just turned 23 and plays with a lot more maturity in his game. I think half the battle is that he's the main striker and spends too much time doing lots of work outside the box down the flanks so he's never going to score lots like that.

Personally I'm not going to let tonight cloud my judgment too much as I think most of the team were poor, we just need to stick with them and see where it takes us.

Would really like to see him up top with a better strike partner, no slate on Cummings or Heff but I feel like James has to do a lot of their running and work at times. Say a Kenny miller who runs about daft and works his socks of.

btw I get the Nish comment as he spent a fair bit of tonight on his erchie which reminded me of CN aswell
    Last edited by SMAXXA; 10-01-2014 at 10:15 PM.

I think he's a decent player but I don't think he's a natural goalscorer, which is what we're badly needing.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Billychaotic182 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really hope I'm wrong In saying this as I do like his work rate but as a footballer he is starting to remind me of Colin Nish. I feel like he could play all night and not score. What does everyone else think? Again really hope I'm proved wrong and he starts rattling them in but as thing stands he's not good enough and we need better
    I'm as yet unconvinced by him but then again I felt exactly the same way about GOC in his first few games.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by Wotherspiniesta View Post
    How many chances did he get tonight? One half chance?

I like Collins. I think with the right service, he'll score.
    With you 100% and can't believe he's starting to be made a scapegoat. This guy gives everything for the jersey. He gets knocked all over the place, and I bet you not many defenders enjoy playing against him. He has scored goals in his career, he's still young. If he's given service, and is given a bit of coaching on his in box positioning, he will be a big player for us.

Funny old game. Collins was rightly praised on Sunday and appears to be scapegoat tonite. I like him, grafts like a Trojan and I believe with decent service will score loads

Sent from my iphone

Work rate is excellent but that's 4 goals in about 20 games. We need to start seing more attacking threat from him.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    With you 100% and can't believe he's starting to be made a scapegoat. This guy gives everything for the jersey. He gets knocked all over the place, and I bet you not many defenders enjoy playing against him. He has scored goals in his career, he's still young. If he's given service, and is given a bit of coaching on his in box positioning, he will be a big player for us.
    By no means was I trying to make him scapegoat. Just feel like he can't score. He plays with his back to goal and doesn't turn he he gets it. Just expect better considering how poor the league is at the moment.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Posted on another thread, I think he is honking and not just on tonight's performance. I realise it's all about opinions but someone who is saying he is a good player please tell me what his attributes are ? I think he is slow, has poor control, wins nothing in the air and his finishing is woeful.

Not the worst player but for money we paid I'd expect better

Testimonial Due
    A poor mans Kenny Miller. Loads of hard work but not enough goals. I do like Collins though and it helps that one of his few goals was against the gorgie tramps.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
    Not the worst player but for money we paid I'd expect better
    You're right in a sense because 200k to hibs is a decent amount, but down south that would almost be seen as a free transfer so I wouldn't judge him based on a price tag.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    He's a workhorse. And if Terry can find someone with a bit more creativity and a natural goal scorer to partner Collins then I think the goals will come.

I actually cannot remember Collins having too many clear cut chances that he has totally sclaffed.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    He's a workhorse. And if Terry can find someone with a bit more creativity and a natural goal scorer to partner Collins then I think the goals will come.

I actually cannot remember Collins having too many clear cut chances that he has totally sclaffed.
    He had one bad miss hit tonight but I get what your saying. I just feel he is too much like nish. Don't know if that's just me though

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post

I've been defending the boy all season and thought he was mom on Sunday but he's definitely not a great finisher - 2 obvious chances; 1 v Aberdeen at ER when Langfield slipped and in injury time in the derby.

He works hard and chases but he doesn't look like a goal scoring threat.

He has scored more than Heffernan though and in only a few more games?

He's got a lot to work on.
    Last edited by Danderhall Hibs; 10-01-2014 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Posted on another thread, I think he is honking and not just on tonight's performance. I realise it's all about opinions but someone who is saying he is a good player please tell me what his attributes are ? I think he is slow, has poor control, wins nothing in the air and his finishing is woeful.
    Disagree with all of that, barring perhaps his control, which could do with some work. Like you say, it's all about opinions, but I think he's developing into a handful for defenders, he's a lot fitter than he was at the start of the season. He's deceptively quick and against Hearts, I've never seen a Hibs forward win that many fouls in one game. Agree with the poster who mentioned about Kenny Miller being a good partner for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Wotherspiniesta View Post
    Disagree with all of that, barring perhaps his control, which could do with some work. Like you say, it's all about opinions, but I think he's developing into a handful for defenders, he's a lot fitter than he was at the start of the season. He's deceptively quick and against Hearts, I've never seen a Hibs forward win that many fouls in one game. Agree with the poster who mentioned about Kenny Miller being a good partner for him.
    Fair enough. I'd like to see Kenny Miller at ER too, whether it is to partner Collins or not. I will never criticise Collins for effort, but re my other points for his size he wins nothing in the air and so far his finishing is terrible. I know it wasn't £200,000 we spent on him, but we did spend money and as it stands imo it is looking like money wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Billychaotic182 View Post
    Trust your own judgement its clear as day .others latter in thread say he only had one chance but in other games he has missed several chances before he has scored.He doesn't look comfortable and isn't a natural finisher in early parts of game he harries opposition well and helps us pin opposition in own half like first twenty minutes tonight but very little comes from it his goals ratio for games played is not what we need as Heff isn't getting any younger so need to be planning for next season and two strikers as handling is now out frame with Cummings and Harris ahead of him.but neither ready to play week in week out and be able to win us games We are conceding many so two goals a game could see us winning more than we loose

Works hard, decent at holding the ball up and not bad at bringing other players into the game.

His reactive finishing is good too, (partick and hearts goals) but he just isn't an out and out goalscorer.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    In his comments before the match Terry stated he's looking to develop the partnership between Collins and Heff. Collins works for the team as he showed when he made the time to draw the defender away for Lewis to score his goal.
    Defence solid, a revitalised midfield creativity up next combined with getting the shooting boots out up top....
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

James Collins will turn good. I see a player in him somewhere every week and believe it's only a matter of time before we have a player that can hold up play, see a pass and score a poachers goal. Stick in James.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by HibeeN View Post
    Some stats that people might find interesting:

Billy McKay had scored 13 goals in 74 appearances for Northampton Town (League 2) before signing for ICT. In his first season with the club, he only managed 3 goals in 22 appearances. He has a (league) career total of 53 goals in 153 appearances (a goal every 2.88 games)

James Collins had scored 15 goals in 45 appearances for Swindon Town (League 1) before signing for Hibs. He has thus far scored 4 goals in 19 appearances. He has a (league) career total of 47 goals in 147 appearances (a goal every 3.12 games)

Now I know that the past only counts for so much, and there's no guarantee that James Collins will emulate the success of Billy McKay, but I think there's enough proof to dismiss claims that "he's not a natural goalscorer" and that he runs about and offers little else. He's already shown that he can score goals at a level that probably isn't too different from the Scottish Premiership. He is only 23 and has already shown signs that there is a player in him - all that's missing is the sort of prolific form that people were wanting to see in a replacement for Leigh Griffiths. I think it's naive and unfair to expect Collins to be banging them in straight away - our league isn't always the easiest to adjust to, and players like Claros, Roberston and indeed McKay are testament to that. I really think that given the time and service, he'll be a really good quality player for us. I don't expect to happen right away - if we're still having this discussion next season then maybe I'll need to re-evaluate my opinion of him but right now I think he has the potential to be a success for Hibs.
    Superb post mate

Billy McKay had scored 13 goals in 74 appearances for Northampton Town (League 2) before signing for ICT. In his first season with the club, he only managed 3 goals in 22 appearances. He has a (league) career total of 53 goals in 153 appearances (2.88 goals per game)

James Collins had scored 15 goals in 45 appearances for Swindon Town (League 1) before signing for Hibs. He has thus far scored 4 goals in 19 appearances. He has a (league) career total of 47 goals in 147 appearances (3.12 goals per game)

Now I know that the past only counts for so much, and there's no guarantee that James Collins will emulate the success of Billy McKay, but I think there's enough proof to dismiss claims that "he's not a natural goalscorer" and that he runs about and offers little else. He's already shown that he can score goals at a level that probably isn't too different from the Scottish Premiership. He is only 23 and has already shown signs that there is a player in him - all that's missing is the sort of prolific form that people were wanting to see in a replacement for Leigh Griffiths. I think it's naive and unfair to expect Collins to be banging them in straight away - our league isn't always the easiest to adjust to, and players like Claros, Roberston and indeed McKay are testament to that. I really think that given the time and service, he'll be a really good quality player for us. I don't expect to happen right away - if we're still having this discussion next season then maybe I'll need to re-evaluate my opinion of him but right now I think he has the potential to be a success for Hibs.
    Good post, tho I think you meant to say games per goal, not even Ronaldo and Messi score 2.88 goals per game !

My issues with Collins however are not just his finishing, I really hope to be proved wrong but I just don't feel he is decent footballer.

Still not convinced about him even though he has looked better under Butcher than Fenlon. Not even sure what kind of striker he is? Target man? Runner in the channels? Needs to add more goals anyway

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Good post, tho I think you meant to say games per goal, not even Ronaldo and Messi score 2.88 goals per game !

My issues with Collins however are not just his finishing, I really hope to be proved wrong but I just don't feel he is decent footballer.
    Agree with all you say on him. Great work rate, and might improve as he gets older but we need better just now if we want to be beating teams more regularly.

@hibs.net private member Willis1875's Avatar
    Good workrate but still no idea what the guys preferred foot is,he barely shoots

Testimonial Due
    Remind me how many SPL goals Nish scored?

Billy McKay had scored 13 goals in 74 appearances for Northampton Town (League 2) before signing for ICT. In his first season with the club, he only managed 3 goals in 22 appearances. He has a (league) career total of 53 goals in 153 appearances (a goal every 2.88 games)

James Collins had scored 15 goals in 45 appearances for Swindon Town (League 1) before signing for Hibs. He has thus far scored 4 goals in 19 appearances. He has a (league) career total of 47 goals in 147 appearances (a goal every 3.12 games)

This is how it feels