hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Observations

Observations

Heff isn't anywhere near sharp enough to start

mcgiverns marking from set pieces is woeful

we sit far to deep In the closing stages of games, seen it at UTD and again tonight

not going over the top as we are a work I'm progress however these are a couple of things that I have taken from the last couple of games, McGivern aside as he been guilty of this over the whole season

All in my opinion of course
    Last edited by SMAXXA; 10-01-2014 at 09:20 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    One corner and only a very rare shot at goal.

Disappointing is my verdict.

Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Heff isn't anywhere near sharp enough to start mcgiverns marking from set pieces is woeful we sit far to deep I'm the closing stages of games, seen it at UTD and again tonight not going over the top as we are a work I'm progress however these are a couple of things that I have taken from the last couple of games, McGivern aside as he been guilty of this over the whole season All in my opinion of course
    Spot on re McGivern at times it looked like he was ball watching.

Quality,creativity and pace is missing in the final 3rd and is an absolute must in this transfer window.

Heff looked like he was running in lead lined divers boots the nite.

Fingers crossed Terry and the gang can address these issues

we sit far to deep I'm the closing stages of games, seen it at UTD and again tonight

not going over the top as we are a work I'm progress however these are a couple of things that I have taken from the last couple of games, McGivern aside as he been guilty of this over the whole season

Spot on re McGivern. Motherwells goal at Fir Park, the lad McKays sitter in recent derby, Reynolds tonight, he always seems to lose his man.

Thought he was excellent in first 6 months at Hibs but has been poor for some time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Spot on re McGivern. Motherwells goal at Fir Park, the lad McKays sitter in recent derby, Reynolds tonight, he always seems to lose his man.

Thought he was excellent in first 6 months at Hibs but has been poor for some time now.
    Totally agree and was also behind his man when the young Hearts player brought out a great save from Williams in the first half ..

we sit far to deep I'm the closing stages of games, seen it at UTD and again tonight

100% agree on McGivern. I think he's been poor all season.

I still think the wide areas are an issue. Cairney and Stevenson have done well at times but long term I'm not sure they are the answer in wide positions.

The front two need to be better. Agree, Heff looks a bit off the pace. Collins seems to lack composure and isn't threatening enough.

On a positive note, another excellent performance from Paul Hanlon.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    100% agree on McGivern. I think he's been poor all season.

I still think true wide areas are an issue. Cairney and Stevenson have done well at times but long term I'm not sure they are the answer in wide positions.

The front two need to be better. Agree, Heff looks a bit off the pace. Collins seems to lack composure and isn't threatening enough.

On a positive note, another excellent performance from Paul Hanlon.
    Totally agree with you on Hanlon I think he has been magnificent for the most part this season. Felt he should have done better for the UTD goals but will let that go given his derby performance and other games, take a bow son you deserve it.

also felt we lost the middle of the park tonight when Robo went off. Possibly this resulted in our decision to play so deep, we invite teams onto us and feel we should be more attacking and give them something to think about in the later stages in games. Probably no coincidence we don't do this given we are so lacking up top. We have a striker who's not match fit and another who runs his balls off all game and is blowing last 10 which is fair enough given the work the lad does.

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Looks like we train with a different ball. So many passes bounced of chests, knees or feet where they should be brought under control.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Watched the match with a Sunderland fan on the telly, he's not seen Hibs for ages and was impressed with Ryan McGivern, thought he was our MOM. I disagreed, shows how a total neutral watching can have a different prospective.

I have concerns about the two in centre midfield.

Cairney as well. Needs to do better with and without the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post
    Watched the match with a Sunderland fan on the telly, he's not seen Hibs for ages and was impressed with Ryan McGivern, thought he was our MOM. I disagreed, shows how a total neutral watching can have a different prospective.
    Was he pished ?

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Mcgivern was fine imo, they had about 14 corners and I can think of one half chance, it wasn't even that actually, abd even then thought he was fouled.

Something that struck me tonight was how bad cairneys first touch is, was always bobbling about all over the place.

@hibs.net private member NorthNorfolkHFC's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: walton83

we sit far to deep In the closing stages of games, seen it at UTD and again tonight

Terry has done wonders but we have been shown up for an average middle of the road SPL team. Absolutely no criticism of our team, just realism.

This group of players will not go down (under Terry) but we are not going to do anything exemplary.

We need some new players and once we have them we may see a change in tactics but we are probably overachieving as it is.
    "Putting a damp spoon back in the bowl is the tea-drinking equivalent of sharing a needle!"

Butcher out smaxxa in ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    I have concerns about the two in centre midfield.
    Agree. Think they are a bit similar. We really need someone to show a bit more composure on the ball at times. I know we have been going back to front at times and playing of second balls but there are still plenty times where the ball is at their feet, you only need to look at the number of times hey gave it away tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post
    I thought McGivern was alright tonight as well.
    We were shot shy tonight which is really what cost us the points.
    Last edited by marinello59; 10-01-2014 at 09:53 PM.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member allmodcons's Avatar
    1 defeat (in what is it 8 games?) away to a form team and, according to this thread, we need a new left back a whole new midfield 4 and 2 new forwards.

Friday night is comedy night on hibs.net

First Team Breakthrough Badabing's Avatar
    Watched it on telly and I thought the main problems were Robertson and Craig. Similar to the second half against the **** we need somebody in the centre of midfield who can exercise some control of the game. It pains me to say it but I think our best option in that regard is KT.

Quote Originally Posted by leggeto View Post
    Butcher out smaxxa in ;-)
    Director of Football, where do I sign up

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by allmodcons View Post
    1 defeat (in what is it 8 games?) away to a form team and, according to this thread, we need a new left back a whole new midfield 4 and 2 new forwards.

I think, AMC, that this will be the first time we have ever been in complete agreement?

Disappointing but not depressing is my verdict. Things just didn't work for us tonight. First twenty we were fine but once they got control of the midfield, we struggled. Cairney very poor,as was the Heff who looked knackered from the off.

Onwards and upwards though
    This is how it feels

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SWYD1875
    How come our subs didn't warm up during half time?

Collins has the balance of a new born fawn.

Good performance from the defence (minus McGivern), Nelson in particular. Was resigned to a 0 - 0 draw then Uncle Fester pops up with a screamer

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    I think, AMC, that this will be the first time we have ever been in complete agreement?
    I think you might be right ODS!

Quote Originally Posted by allmodcons View Post

Quite.funny really isnt it,according to the bbc we had more shots on target than aberdeen yet we are shot shy ???

We aint gonna change over night be we have come.a long way in the last few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE1875 View Post
    How come our subs didn't warm up during half time?

Collins has the balance of a new born fawn.

Good performance from the defence (minus McGivern), Nelson in particular. Was resigned to a 0 - 0 draw then Uncle Fester pops up with a screamer
    They never do, must be a TB changes but I noticed it against UTD

Quote Originally Posted by weonlywon6-2 View Post
    Quite.funny really isnt it,according to the bbc we had more shots on target than aberdeen yet we are shot shy ???

We aint gonna change over night be we have come.a long way in the last few weeks.
    A poor game where we were undone by a cracking strike.

Thought the back 4 were solid. Hanlon strolled through the game. Forster and McGivern are not full backs IMO, and we should be looking to bring players in who are moreatural in that position. That's not to say they haven't done ok. Thought we lost a bit in the middle of the park when Robertson went off and Robson started to put his foot on the ball. As for the front two in Heffernan and Collins, there were too many hopeful balls played over the top which isn't their strength IMO.

First Team Regular Heedersnvolleys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RIP Bestie View Post
    Thought the back 4 were solid. Hanlon strolled through the game. Forster and McGivern are not full backs IMO, and we should be looking to bring players in who are moreatural in that position. That's not to say they haven't done ok. Thought we lost a bit in the middle of the park when Robertson went off and Robson started to put his foot on the ball. As for the front two in Heffernan and Collins, there were too many hopeful balls played over the top which isn't their strength IMO.
    Yip my thoughts as well, Robertson kept at there midfield all night not giving them a minutes peace, he goes off and they have a bit more time to pick there passes. I think tonight showed that TB wants us to play the same way home and away which commendable but I just felt in a game like tonight we could have done with someone like KT so we kept the ball for longer periods.

Disappointing to lose tonight. Although Aberdeen looked the better team I thought we competed well.

Main plusses for me were that we continue to really look like a team as opposed to a group of individuals; we defended well and restricted the sheep to very few opportunities; we tried to play and win the ball as far up the pitch as possible (apart from late on); we moved the ball quickly and always looked like we wanted to get forward and win the game.

I agree with comments re Paul Hanlon. He looks increasingly like a really accomplished defender to me. I also like Forster a lot and, although I'd prefer him in beside Hanlon, I've been impressed with his attitude and performances at right back. I think that McGivern is struggling at the moment and we could do with another option there. I'd love to see Callum Booth return and show that the defensive side of his game has improved.

It was good to see Harris return and I always think that Sam Stanton looks like a player when I see him. He didn't do that much tonight but he's certainly got ability and is comfortable on the ball. He seems to me to have grown quite a bit. Anyone else think that? Maybe Terry just needs to find out where to play him to get the best out of him?

Robertson and Craig are good players and I'm happy to see Terry build a team with them in it.

Overall - it's clear we've moved forward a significant amount and I think we'll continue to improve. Playing against a good side tonight highlighted our problems going forward - there was very little threat from our wide areas (although I thought Stevenson's and Cairney's general play was okay) and Collins and Heffernan couldn't hold the ball up enough or offer enough of a goal threat.
    Last edited by GreenOnions; 10-01-2014 at 11:04 PM.