hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: What is worse?

What is worse?

Sending racist tweets or assaulting a policeman. Both actions that I would never ever condone, but relatively speaking which is the greater crime.

The reason why I ask is that a person who sent racist tweets to two ex-Rangers players has been jailed for six months, whilst a football player receives a non-custodial sentence (130 hrs of non-paid work) for assaulting two policemen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-25653860

The players - who have since left Rangers - had stated that they were "intimidated" and "shocked" by the tweets.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-25653862

St. Mirren midfielder, Paul McGowan, admitted kicking the two officers on the body in Airdrie and at Coatbridge police station. One of the attacks being a repeated assault on on officer.

Discuss?

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Whilst I think the punishment are totally wrong.

The difference in the two cases are - McGowan admitted his assault - The tweeter claimed 'it wisnae me'

I think things would've been worse if McGowan had denied it - IMO he should be in HMP.

The way the law works is punishment is more severe if you deny guilt when in turn found guilty.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Discuss?
    Other things being equal - which in the real world they never are - physical violence is worse than political/moral violence. Sticks and stones etc innit?

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    Whilst I think the punishment are totally wrong.

The difference in the two cases are - McGowan admitted his assault - The tweeter claimed 'it wisnae me'

I think things would've been worse if McGowan had denied it - IMO he should be in HMP.

The way the law works is punishment is more severe if you deny guilt when in turn found guilty.
    Well you can't deny something that you can't deny...

First Team Breakthrough littleplum's Avatar
    I personally would have liked to have seen alternatives to custodial sentences in both cases although I (and I daresay others who have been subject to it) am glad that racist abuse is being taken seriously by the police, PFs and courts.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Sending racist tweets or assaulting a policeman. Both actions that I would never ever condone, but relatively speaking which is the greater crime.

The reason why I ask is that a person who sent racist tweets to two ex-Rangers players has been jailed for six months, whilst a football player receives a non-custodial sentence (130 hrs of non-paid work) for assaulting two policemen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-25653860

The players - who have since left Rangers - had stated that they were "intimidated" and "shocked" by the tweets.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-25653862

St. Mirren midfielder, Paul McGowan, admitted kicking the two officers on the body in Airdrie and at Coatbridge police station. One of the attacks being a repeated assault on on officer.

Discuss?
    Assaults on Police officers are no more serious than assaults on members of the public in the eyes of the law.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    130 ***** hours of unpaid work for assaulting not one...but two people, AND after previous assault
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 08-01-2014 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    130 ***** hours of unpaid work for assaulting not one...but two people, AND after previous assault ******* result that is eh incredible
    Agreed but I wonder who his brief is !

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weststandwanab View Post
    Agreed but I wonder who his brief is !

never heard of him, Mark Lutton, McGowan maybe needs to get a grip on his drinking habits

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Anyone remember the story of Newcastle fan Barry Rogerson?

Punched a police HORSE, admitted it in court and got jailed for 12 months and given a six year football banning order...
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

First Team Regular HIBEES 4 LIFE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Assaults on Police officers are no more serious than assaults on members of the public in the eyes of the law.
    It is actually, assaulting a police office is a desperate crime and more serious according to scot's law

He's a lucky boy

I suppose the judge in each case has based the sentences on the information available to them.

Personally I think the courts and their out of touch judges are the weak point in the system. I'd have jailed them both.
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Custodial sestances are a joke - what about that family that imprisoned, physically and mentally abused and treated him as a slave that vulnerable guy reported,this week they left him a "broken man" most one got iirc was 6 years which as we know will be reduced down. Disgusting.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I suppose the judge in each case has based the sentences on the information available to them.

Personally I think the courts and their out of touch judges are the weak point in the system. I'd have jailed them both.
    What about the defendants? ;)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Story So Far... View Post
    Anyone remember the story of Newcastle fan Barry Rogerson?

Punched a police HORSE, admitted it in court and got jailed for 12 months and given a six year football banning order...
    aka Conan the barbarian :-]

Didn't the sheriff say McGowan wasn't at risk of reoffending? Yet he was up for reoffending.Good job he didn't throw in a few sectarian insults.Nowadays you can't insult anyone but you can lamp a couple of cops(not for the first time)and get away with it.