hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar

Being a gay footballer in Germany... What about Scotland?

http://m.scotsman.com/sport/football...-gay-1-3260831

Sad but true that the abuse would likely rain down from the stands or would it?

I hope I'm not alone in saying I wouldn't mind if Hibs had a player past, present or future who was/is gay I hope society has moved on and it's just the tabloids that make a big deal...

Had to laugh about Lahm being "dogged" about having a male friend in Cologne ;)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    One day, this will not be a story

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://m.scotsman.com/sport/football...-gay-1-3260831

Sad but true that the abuse would likely rain down from the stands or would it?

I hope I'm not alone in saying I wouldn't mind if Hibs had a player past, present or future who was/is gay I hope society has moved on and it's just the tabloids that make a big deal...

Had to laugh about Lahm being "dogged" about having a male friend in Cologne ;)
    Errrr "all the hibees are gay" "paul hartley is gaaaaay". Some people are still brain dead. So i wouldnt hold yer breath.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post

First Team Breakthrough
    Black, white, purple, green, blue, gay, straight, asexual, bisexual, trisexual, one leg, two legs, male, female, dog, cat. Score a goal for my beloved Hibernian and I will love you all the same

Quote Originally Posted by Marty-Hibee View Post
    Black, white, purple, green, blue, gay, straight, asexual, bisexual, trisexual, one leg, two legs, male, female, dog, cat. Score a goal for my beloved Hibernian and I will love you all the same
    But you'd draw the line at a Jambo ;)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012

Coaching Staff
    Football is an enironment where you are more than likely to be picked on for something if we can wind people up.

I don't think it really reflects what people think or would accept and the media tend to keep telling peoplke what problems there are in football as if they are different from society itself. Thgere again I wouldn't shout abuse at people doing other jobs but I will at the football so there is some justification.

My opinion is that any gay player here would get a bit of light hearted stick both from colleagues and fans and it would pass pretty quickly. I don't think anyone would really care other than providing something we know about that could help put a player off! Much in the same way as being ugly, fat or a Jambo.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Football is an enironment where you are more than likely to be picked on for something if we can wind people up.

I don't think it really reflects what people think or would accept and the media tend to keep telling peoplke what problems there are in football as if they are different from society itself. Thgere again I wouldn't shout abuse at people doing other jobs but I will at the football so there is some justification.

My opinion is that any gay player here would get a bit of light hearted stick both from colleagues and fans and it would pass pretty quickly. I don't think anyone would really care other than providing something we know about that could help put a player off! Much in the same way as being ugly, fat or a Jambo.
    No chance! Have you seen what society has to offer these days from some so called football supporters.

If every gay player openly came out during their career, instead of after, the problem would be solved almost instantly. You'd look pretty stupid chanting anti-gay slogans at the opposition when some of your own players are gay.

I'd agree about football fans and their prehistoric attitudes though. You only have to look at our own forum where one guy has his location as 'Jock'land.

First Team Breakthrough Richibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    No chance! Have you seen what society has to offer these days from some so called football supporters.
    Agree - "we" still go on about fat Joe Harper, ugly Davie Dodds etc.....

Remember big Justin fashanu the jambos have short memories when calling us all gay,so what,I think he scored against us too

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HOUSEkid
    I personally know a Scottish professional player who is gay and is playing. It is sad state of affairs that he can't 'come out' and be himself.

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    If every gay player openly came out during their career, instead of after, the problem would be solved almost instantly. You'd look pretty stupid chanting anti-gay slogans at the opposition when some of your own players are gay.
    This is correct. If some sort of scenario could be created where hundreds came out at the same time, it would be fine. But whilst there are 3 or 4 known gay players in the world, who is going to make themselves number 5?

Already less 'shocking' than it would have been even 5 years ago.

In the last couple of years I can think off a boxer, a rugby player, 3 footballers and a diver who have made their sexuality public. They obviously feel comfortable enough to do so now.

The world is changing and the dinosaurs will have to get used to it.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I personally know a Scottish professional player who is gay and is playing. It is sad state of affairs that he can't 'come out' and be himself.
    Why can't he?

Agreed.
    But would you talk about light hearted racism being acceptable just because it's the football? I doubt it so why should homophobic remarks, light hearted or otherwise, be any more acceptable?
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Don't see why this is news.

It's no-one's business what you get up to in your private life and it doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Exactly, why its constantly shoved to the forefront on here is beyond me.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    Don't see why this is news.

It's no-one's business what you get up to in your private life and it doesn't interest me in the slightest.
    It's news (good news) as it will hopefully lead to more tolerance, players feeling far more confident they can express their sexuality and not face abuse, and perhaps encourage, enhance and promote greater respect and decency in the game and more importantly on the terraces and beyond.

For me it is a good news story and very courageous of the lad - well done to him for being out and proud a high profile player coming out may give others the confidence to in the future, hence it's stories like this that are needed in my opinion.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gringotodd
    I don't see why anyone should have to "come out". People don't come out and announce they're left handed, it's just part of who you are. The fact people need to "come out" just adds to the "being different" thing. Maybe one day it won't matter so much people need to, I suppose.

I think people asking why this is news are missing the point a bit.

One of the biggest challenges facing a gay person is telling those close to them off their sexuality. Many people have been forced to live double lives or keep a huge secret for nothing more than being attracted to someone of the same sex.

A few high profile names coming out might just help or encourage someone else to do likewise.

It's not about shouting it from the rooftops or making a big scene, it's about being able to be open about a huge part of their life in the same way hetrosexuals are.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Agreed.
    But would you talk about light hearted racism being acceptable just because it's the football? I doubt it so why should homophobic remarks, light hearted or otherwise, be any more acceptable?
    I agree with you. Though I'm sure some of our recent managers and players would agree that the casual racism is still alive and well. Some racism doesn't appear to be as big an issue as others though. Some of it might be acceptable to those involved though. Scottish , Irish, Welsh , Scouse banter would still be expected in a dressing room I'd imagine.

I'd personally stick a bit of banter amongst blokes about being gay in with that as opposed to proper abuse of black or Asian players. I'd doubt there would be serious mistreatment these days thankfully.

Not sure that makes much sense but there you go.

I agree with you. Though I'm sure some of our recent managers and players would agree that the casual racism is still alive and well. Some racism doesn't appear to be as big an issue as others though. Some of it might be acceptable to those involved though. Scottish , Irish, Welsh , Scouse banter would still be expected in a dressing room I'd imagine.

I'd personally stick a bit of banter amongst blokes about being gay in with that as opposed to proper abuse of black or Asian players. I'd doubt there would be serious mistreatment these days thankfully.

Not sure that makes much sense but there you go.
    It makes no sense at all frankly.So abusing a gay player isn't 'proper abuse'. Pathetic.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Exactly, why its constantly shoved to the forefront on here is beyond me.
    Sorry didn't realise there was a quota so hadn't checked - if you'll look back I don't think I've been guilty of that

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    I wrote a few words a while back about Justin Fashanu. Justin had a pretty torrid time here in Nottingham at both clubs.

There are some pretty good insights into the man in the comments people have added, including a biographer and also someone who knew him. Worth a read.

Justin Fashanu

FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

@hibs.net private member
    Someone's sexuality should not be a news story. It's sad the football does not seem to accept everyone for who they are not their sexuality.

Shouldn't be a story now tbh.

Promising Youngster Blocks Biloxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Why can't he?
    because Big Jim Goodwin has a reputation to uphold!

@hibs.net private member R'Albin's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Razza96
    It's the fact the 'High Quality' newspapers feel the need to make a big deal over people 'coming out'. I haven't ever really cared about Thomas Hitzlthingy, why does it need reported that he's gay?