hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HOMFC - Relegation Number 4 In My Lifetime

Now, knowing that HOMFC is a Big Club whose only concern is with conquering Europe and winning the Champions league, and that relegation concerns are the preoccupation of diddy and lesser clubs,
    I am slightly disturbed when I look at the league table. I appear to be hallucinating again, because there, right at the very bottom, beneath all the diddy and lesser teams, including our very own beloved Hibs, sits the aforementioned HOMFC.
    Now, I know I'm getting on a bit and the old memory can play tricks, but I'm sure that I was similarly disturbed and concerned with, like I say, the Big Club -known as HOMFC, on 3 other occasions in my lifetime.
    Then, as now, they appeared to occupy a relegation slot, but even worse, they went on to be relegated.
    For a few years it was a regular and upsetting experience. I had to pinch and tell myself that the Big Club -HOMFC, do not get relegated, and that any perceived time in the 2nd tier was but a continuation of that hallucination.
    Anyhow, this 4th episode has a similar feel to it - an ominous feeling of impending relegation.
    But, I'm sure that with a period of rest, I will be able to see that it was just another hallucination and not an actual 4th relegation in my lifetime.
    Last edited by hihohibby; 07-01-2014 at 06:04 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

iv never seen those manky swines get relegated so im quite lookin forward to seein them sink

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by PacoLuna View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    iv never seen those manky swines get relegated so im quite lookin forward to seein them sink
    Sadly it's a bit of a anti-climax - they hide. Nobody at work/home/pub etc seems to support them - it's almost as if they didn't previously exist as all prior knowledge of them is resolutely denied/dis-avowed. It's a 'Big Team' thing.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
    Sadly it's a bit of a anti-climax - they hide. Nobody at work/home/pub etc seems to support them - it's almost as if they didn't previously exist as all prior knowledge of them is resolutely denied/dis-avowed. It's a 'Big Team' thing.
    Indeed. I don't know where they've all disappeared to at my work.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    I work less than 2 metre's from a yam & he's no spoke to me this year
    AM LOVING IT !

Quote Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
    Experienced similar. When things are not going so good I don't hear a peep out of them and they are quick to change the subject whenever hearts are mentioned although sure enough, if they are achieving success they all come crawling out from the woodwork giving it the big un "big team" pish.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    They've disappeared through here as well. Rentokil must have been going round spraying them en-masse!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by NumberSeven View Post
    Experienced similar. When things are not going so good I don't hear a peep out of them and they are quick to change the subject whenever hearts are mentioned although sure enough, if they are achieving success they all come crawling out from the woodwork giving it the big un "big team" pish.
    I was trying so hard to get a rise out of two of them this morning, one pretended to be busy the other kept trying to subtly change the subject onto anything else.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    'Tis the Jambo way. Some I knew even denied they had an interest in them when they were crap which worked in my favour as I'd call them part time supporters if they tried to mention anything when they were going better.

Like their last relegation, they won't be coming straight back up either. Crowds could dwindle as disillusionment creeps in and before you know it they're stuck in that league.

Absolutely crazy their decision to take the hit this season knowing Rangers will in all probability be playing in the same league as them next season...

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hihohibby View Post
    Now, knowing that HOMFC is a Big Club whose only concern is with conquering Europe and winning the Champions league, and that relegation concerns are the preoccupation of diddy and lesser clubs,
    I am slightly disturbed when I look at the league table. I appear to be hallucinating again, because there, right at the very bottom, beneath all the diddy and lesser teams, including our very own beloved Hibs, sits the aforementioned HOMFC.
    Now, I know I'm getting on a bit and the old memory can play tricks, but I'm sure that I was similarly disturbed and concerned with, like I say, the Big Club -known as HOMFC, on 3 other occasions in my lifetime.
    Then, as now, they appeared to occupy a relegation slot, but even worse, they went on to be relegated.
    For a few years it was a regular and upsetting experience. I had to pinch and tell myself that the Big Club -HOMFC, do not get relegated, and that any perceived time in the 2nd tier is but a continuation of that hallucination.
    Anyhow, this 4th episode has a similar feel to it - an ominous feeling of impending relegation.
    But, I'm sure that with a period of rest, I will be able to consign this latest episode of confusion down to another hallucination and not an actual 4th relegation in my lifetime.
    yes i remember the yo-yo years, they didnt even come up as champs they were always runners up. we have been down twice but came back each time as champions

How many cups and leagues did they win over that period?

A useful stat to know when they go on about special relationships and all that :-)

It is amazing how few people admitted to supporting Hearts in the late 70's/early 80's. I'm not even sure where they suddenly appeared from, around 84/85 or so.

I remember vividly going to a Scottish Cup replay at ER against Dundee United around 1981/2 and Hearts were at home the same evening in a First Division match. We had 14,000 people at our game and they had 1,500. Looking forward to more of the same.

[QUOTE=Danderhall Hibs;3862129]Indeed. I don't know where they've all disappeared to at my work.[/QUO

Interesting !!
    I have a friend , of long standing , an apparently intelligent man who got himself a degree thro' Open Uni aged 55 and is now retired .
    Fervent Jambo he bombarded me with " funnies" after the " 1-5" debacle and I just kept stoom !
    Sent him a couple of jokes and a couple of cartoons re their problems and he has written saying he doesn't want anything more to do with
    me !!!!!
    I wrote back explaining it was just " banter " and to chill out
    " No way : it's kicking a man when he is down and its not funny , have deleted your email address , F Off "
    So that's that

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
    And I'm not sure about the universe.
    Albert Einstein

Comes to mind.

I seem to recall they liked it so much down there that they stayed for an extra season.

I very much doubt if any of them under the age of 40 will have much stomach for the fight. A lot of them only know Hearts during the financial doping times.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hihohibby View Post
    For a few years it was a regular and upsetting experience. I had to pinch and tell myself that the Big Club -HOMFC, do not get relegated, and that any perceived time in the 2nd tier was but a continuation of that hallucination.
    But, I'm sure that with a period of rest, I will be able to see that it was just another hallucination and not an actual 4th relegation in my lifetime.
    Hearts have not been relegated 3 times. They have been relegated twice. But on one occasion, they failed to achieve promotion from the 1st division (I know, stop s******ing). So they have spent 3 seasons outside of the top flight. It will very soon be 4.

Left by mutual consent! SouthamptonHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by judas View Post
    Hearts have not been relegated 3 times. They have been relegated twice. But on one occasion, they failed to achieve promotion from the 1st division (I know, stop s******ing). So they have spent 3 seasons outside of the top flight. It will very soon be 4.
    On the Hearts website it advises they were relegated 3 times in five years, they then spent two seasons in first division, before coming up as runners up.
    I believe this will be the fourth hail hail

In total they spent 4 seasons out the Prem league. In 8 consecutive season there wasn't a league derby for 5 of the seasons. 1 due to our relegation and 4 due to Hearts being out the Prem league.

Happy days
    Last edited by SouthamptonHibs; 07-01-2014 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by judas View Post
    Nope, relegated 3 times.
    1981 - makes for hilarious reading

They failed to come back up in 1982 as they were beaten by Champions Motherwell at Tynecastle on the last day of the season and their fans sat on the Terraces and called Wallace Mercer lots of unpleasant names.

Within the next few weeks they'll be able to say they have another bigger statistic over Hibs.
    4 demotions to our 3 (1933, 1980, 1998)
    Last edited by AndyM_1875; 07-01-2014 at 07:36 PM.

Left by mutual consent! SouthamptonHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyM_1875 View Post
    Nope, relegated 3 times.

They failed to come back up in 1982 as they were beaten by Champions Motherwell at Tynecastle on the last day of the season and their fans sat on the Terraces and called Wallace Mercer lots of unpleasant names.

Within the next few weeks they'll be able to say they have another bigger statistic over Hibs.

Happy days looking forward to there fourth relegation hail hail

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Presumably they'll describe themselves as having a special relationship with relegation.
    ​#PERSEVERED

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post
    Presumably they'll describe themselves as having a special relationship with relegation.
    Pah! Just wait till I say that to my mate. He's a Cowdenbeath fan. ;-)

A generation of Hertz fans have known nothing but relative success since Mercer rode on to the scene. Oh how these folk are in for a shock. Bring it on.

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    Remember being at Swynie and singing, "We'll meet again" after they were relegated, sometimes it's good to be an old codger.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM_1875 View Post
    Nope, relegated 3 times.

Remember them going down in 81 as we were coming up and taking 2 years to come back, but didn't realise they had been relegated twice just prior to this.

Testimonial Due
    Blog Entries
    I remember attending a relegation celebration in a pub in bread street one of these times - good night from what I remember

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish View Post
    Remember being at Swynie and singing, "We'll meet again" after they were relegated, sometimes it's good to be an old codger.
    yes remember that as well, only difference now is there is more hatred now or was it like that back then but i never really noticed it as much. probably thats when the over spending started about mcdonald and jardine time and the hatred started to creep in. i had some good pals back then who were jambos but not sure if i would be pals with them today going by the way things have changed.

i can remember them being the yoyo team and coming through gorgie on supporters bus singing your going down again

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    Remember them going down in 81 as we were coming up and taking 2 years to come back, but didn't realise they had been relegated twice just prior to this.
    Oh aye, they were the original yo yo club.

Strangely enough we always found some excuse to play them at least once a year when we were in different divisions. Perhaps we'll continue that, I dunno.

did we not play them in a compitition a lot with berwick and meadowbank

Quote Originally Posted by alley balley0-7 View Post
    did we not play them in a compitition a lot with berwick and meadowbank
    Yes, played full strength sides in the East of Scotland Shield.

But also Played them for other things too like the Tom Hart Cup.