hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craig's Penalty

@hibs.net private member mutley's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: mutley074

Craig's Penalty

Firstly, I only half saw it at the game as I could barely look in case he missed/saved. And then after jumping about like a lunatic with the rest of the East, watching all the highlights, in retrospect, I don't think it was a great one, not a lot of pace and had the keeper went the right way I reckon he would have saved it.
    (Compared to sparky's penalties from last season where he nearly burst the net, well in the game at Ayr he did!)
    Ok maybe there was a bit of psychology used to send the keeper the wrong way, I just thought it was a bit risky.
    Back on a plus note, you got to love it when risks pay off

2. Log in to remove the advert

I agree, the only way to take a spot kick is to blast it near the top corner ie' John Robertson Style. ⚽️

I think it was clever – you can see he watches the keeper the whole time. The Hearts goalie is already diving to his right by the time Craig strikes the ball.

MacDonald went early, Craig fooled him. Easy finish.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: FleshCabbage
    He said that he waited for the keeper to move before slotting it into the other corner

Testimonial Due
    After watching the highlights I thought he done well. He watched MacDonald move early and just knocked it in.

First Team Breakthrough Leighonel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mutley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Firstly, I only half saw it at the game as I could barely look in case he missed/saved. And then after jumping about like a lunatic with the rest of the East, watching all the highlights, in retrospect, I don't think it was a great one, not a lot of pace and had the keeper went the right way I reckon he would have saved it.
    (Compared to sparky's penalties from last season where he nearly burst the net, well in the game at Ayr he did!)
    Ok maybe there was a bit of psychology used to send the keeper the wrong way, I just thought it was a bit risky.
    I thought it was perfect ;-). Seriously though, when you watch the replay it shows he didnt even look at the ball till the last second, he tricked mcdonald with the eye contact allowing criag just to roll it in.

Any penalty that goes in is a good penalty.

First Team Breakthrough WWFTWTG's Avatar
    Great composure and showed his class

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Waited for the keeper to committ and just rolled it other side. Goal every time if you can hold your nerve. Remember Mendieta as being the king of this - his pens would just trundle over the line but were always too far from the goalkeeper.
    Last edited by Baader; 03-01-2014 at 01:04 PM.

Don't care if it was a great pen or not lol it got the back of the net and that's all that matters :D!! GGTTH

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by sambajustice View Post
    Any penalty that goes in is a good penalty.
    Oh I agree with that 100%, maybe I just like to see them blast past the keeper.

Knew exactly what he was doing, let McDonald dive and rolled it the other side. Easy as you like

First Team Breakthrough machibby's Avatar
    Think you should look at the penalty again, for me it's as cool a penalty finish as you will see. Sends the keeper the wrong way early and slots it into the other side, according to Collins he does it every day at training.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    On a night where hard shots weren't bursting the net, I think he made the correct decision.

There's something more classy about a calm penalty.

You started a thread to complain about a penalty that we scored and that won us the match?

Fair enough...

Doesnt matter if it was clever, good or bad it went in and we won thats all that matters!

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage East View Post
    You started a thread to complain about a penalty that we scored and that won us the match?

Fair enough...
    I know! Weird one eh?

Left by mutual consent!
    He's a good penalty taker. Sure he scored a good few for St Johnstone (including a couple v us I think) and, not that I am an expert on every penalty St Johnstone had between 2008 and 2013, I don't recall him missing one for them.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage East View Post

Fair enough...
    I wasn't complaining, just thought it was a bit risky

Craig's Penalty

As soon as he connected with the ball, he was away celebrating basically.

Knew exactly what he was doing, fantastic under pressure.

I feared he'd blast it (high and wide),

well done cool captain craig !

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    Craig was the coolest person in ER. Class in action.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Given the circumstances and pressure, I thought the penalty was a thing of beauty.

Puts the keeper the wrong way and just filled it into the net. Perfect.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Gamer IDs

Maybe I was just panicking that it was going to be missed. I think TB said in his interview that it was only our second of the season? That, and I suppose I just remember sparky always blasted them.

First Team Breakthrough
    It was a good penalty, positionally not the best. But he watched Macdonald the whole run up. Macdonald moved first, as soon as Craig saw him dive one way, he just put it the other side

First Team Breakthrough machibby's Avatar
    Just listened to Craig's interview on the hibs site, states he thought about smashing it in then after having to wait decided take it as he normally does and wait until the keeper moves - class penalty

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMrP

Cool

Watching the video on this thread at my work with the earphones in and all i wanted to do was celebrate when it went it lol but if you watch the video closely it looks like Williams is doing cartwheels outside the area :):)

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    I was a well taken penalty as he waited for the keeper to move. It takes a bit of cool and the skill to be bale to change which way you place it at the last minute. However as a tactic it fails if the keeper decides not to dive, as you then have the task of slotting it right in the corner or he will be able to stop it. But then again blasting it is risky too as it's harder to ensure you don't whoop one over the bar.

Mathew Le Tisser scored 47 of the 48 penalties he took in his career and his tactic was to side foot it firmly to the keepers left, but to keep and eye on the keeper and if he went early he had the ability to change his mind late and whip it into the other corner - that's not my conclusion that's direct from MLT in this Youtube video. Pretty much what Craig did..so I would say it was an excellent penalty.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcDonald View Post
    It was a good penalty, positionally not the best. But he watched Macdonald the whole run up. Macdonald moved first, as soon as Craig saw him dive one way, he just put it the other side
    positionally it was perfect. You say it was good then not the best. It didnt have to be in the bottom corner as like you said MacDonald was already diving the other way. It was an excellent penalty, fooled keeper all ends up and rolled in away from him.
    Last edited by Jdawg; 03-01-2014 at 01:42 PM.