hibs.net Messageboard

Testimonial Due one day maybe...'s Avatar

No nonsense Nelson

As the title says, guy is an old fashioned defender... Brave as they come, awesome tonight IMO..

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Yup, he's been solid for us.

Our worst spell if the season was when we was out injured.

He doesn't do anything fancy but gets stuck right in and I think Hanlon plays so much better with him alongside.

@hibs.net private member Benny Brazil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by one day maybe... View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As the title says, guy is an old fashioned defender... Brave as they come, awesome tonight IMO..
    Aye - except at the Hertz goal when he sold himself too easily
    But do agree he is brave and no-nonsense just what we need in defence

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Agree that he's been great for us but for me the real superstar of the last few games has been Paul Hanlon.

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar
    Big guy puts everything on the line. He's limited with the ball at his feet but he knows it so passes it to our better footballing defenders.

Hanlon was fantastic tonight. Different player than has been in previous derbys. Jordon Forster was absolute class as well. Brilliant runs down the line and brilliant crosses.
    ​​
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016 - The Immortals

@hibs.net private member Scooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    Agree that he's been great for us but for me the real superstar of the last few games has been Paul Hanlon.
    Agreed pails been fantastic

No nonsense yes but we need better and someone who can use the ball better, if Forster is not the new RB, then he should be the starting CB for us next season.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GodisaHibee
    Both he and Hanlon were outstanding tonight. Totally solid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    Hes fantastic when dealing with anything through the air, and will stick himself in front of anything (although he was partially to blame for the goal along with Collins and Robertson). Both he and McGivern annoy me with their distribution though, far too many aimless punts (under no pressure) that just concede possession when theres no need to do so.

Personally I think Hanlon is by far our best defender, hes much more cultured and Id much rather see Nelson trying to get the ball to him than hoofing it forward!

Nelson does the simple stuff that allows Hanlon to concentrate on his own game, making them a very good combination.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

I thought he was a bit ropey first half, and came onto a game in the second. On the other hand, Hanlon was immense tonight and my man of the match.

When the freak caught him in the face early doors, Nelson might have kept a low profile had he been a lesser man but none of it! The big fella might not be polished but he shone tonight and his partnership with Hanlon gets better game by game
    This is how it feels

Him and Hanlon solid again, Butcher has made us so much better

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post

Thought Hanlon strolled the game, his positioning has improved, he seems to have found some upper body strength and bulk, bit more vocal too.

looks like butcher and malpas haven't just been working with Forster, actually thought Forster, Nelson and Hanlon played very well, mcgivern was not so, thought he was lacking in a lot of positional play, and gave walker too much room when he switched wings.

Hanlon has been immense last few games - completely transformed - with Nelson looking solid. TB & MM have worked miracles with those two.

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Hanlon has been immense last few games - completely transformed - with Nelson looking solid. TB & MM have worked miracles with those two.
    He has indeed and I think we shouldn't underestimate the effect of playing alongside Nelson has had on Paul. MN is a hugely experienced defender and talks his way through every game, helping those around him
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by green.and.white View Post
    Him and Hanlon solid again, Butcher has made us so much better
    Tbf to Fenlon we were playing well when these two were together and his injury against Celtic was IMO why we lost the cup tie (Nelson would never have attempted that clearance in the way McPake did).
    I am absolutely delighted we've got big Tel but I can remember Pat's input too

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    I agree Kaff. Don't think we would have lost that quarter final if Nelson was playing. Not 'McPake bashing' as far too much of that went on, however he clearly wasn't fit. Don't think we would have lost a goal that night if MN had been playing tbh

That good I thought he was not on the pitch,back to front solid and playing as a unit,hunger and drive,Players bust a gut for the 12th man at the game and fans dove them forward,GGTTH

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    I think that's the best CB pairing we have had since Hogg & Jones. Both Nelson and Hanlon have been excellent in recent and tonight showed what a great CB partnership they have built.

Very underrated and has been a rock for us since he signed, brilliant to have a very decent defence for a change and all play their part....hmm McGivern still needs to up his game to the level of the other 3 though