hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Names of the ends of the ground

Growing up in the 70/80s I recall the famous five stand being called the cow shed and the away end called the Dunbar end but while talking with a friend today he suggested I was slavering I'm hoping someone will confirm he was indeed the slaver

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by gillie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Growing up in the 70/80s I recall the famous five stand being called the cow shed and the away end called the Dunbar end but while talking with a friend today he suggested I was slavering I'm hoping someone will confirm he was indeed the slaver
    Correct

South stand/away stand was indeed known as the Dunbar end, I grew up knowing it as that

Dunbars lemonade factory was at the South end of the ground, hence 'The Dunbar end'

Quote Originally Posted by mim View Post
    Dunbars lemonade factory was at the South end of the ground, hence 'The Dunbar end'
    Yes that's what I was saying to him,I assumed this was widely known
    Thanks guys

I'm now wondering if the ends of the grounds have been known by any other names prior to this

@hibs.net private member wazoo1875's Avatar
    I'm now wondering if the ends of the grounds have been known by any other names prior to this
    The coo shed is/was also known by some as the cave
    Never one to laugh at others misfortune but today could only have been improved by rangers getting horsed and God pissing down a meteor shower of fifty pound notes on Edinburgh

Copyright BadMartini Wed 27th Jan 2010

Quote Originally Posted by wazoo1875 View Post
    The coo shed is/was also. known by some as the cave
    For Any particular reason?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: stevenl049 PSN ID: stevenl049
    Not sure if this was just the name my old man had for it but he always referred to the East Stand as the terracing.

Johnnyboy still likes to refer to our ground as The Meadows.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Johnnyboy still likes to refer to our ground as The Meadows.
    Indeed and that's only cos there was nae grass in the Coogate for a kickaround
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member wazoo1875's Avatar
    For Any particular reason?
    I think it was when they put the roof on, it sort of resembled one!
    Never one to laugh at others misfortune but today could only have been improved by rangers getting horsed and God pissing down a meteor shower of fifty pound notes on Edinburgh

Copyright BadMartini Wed 27th Jan 2010

Way way back when I first went in 1940 some referred to the north end as the "Cemetery End " but it never was used regularly by punters .
    When they put the roof on it became " The Cow Shed " although as some said it was also called the " Cave" because of it resembling such an area !! It never really caught on either .
    South end has as long as I have attended been known as "The Dunbar(s) End " and the East side as " The Terracing ".

Don't forget Playing " down the slope " !!
    Happy days indeed : with a wonderful atmosphere the likes of which we will never know again ( sadly)

Quote Originally Posted by stevenhibs View Post
    Not sure if this was just the name my old man had for it but he always referred to the East Stand as the terracing.
    My dad and uncle both still refer to the east stand as the terracing

Cow shed was great,they would open the gates and let fans in if it started raining,always had a great wee atmosphere in it

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    It was the McLeod St end and the Dunbar end when I started going.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolm-bogie View Post
    It was the McLeod St end and the Dunbar end when I started going.
    Surely that was at another ground in the city ?

@hibs.net private member
    Can still remember being at a game just prior to the cow shed being built and seeing several big holes had been dug in the terracing steps. We were all saying "no, it cannae be for pillars" - this was in the era of cantilever stands. How wrong we were?!?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    When I first started going to ER The old Main Syand was just "The Stand".

The wee bit of standing terrace in front of it was "The Enclosure".

The terrace opposite the Stand was simply "The Terrace", "The Terracing", or "The Main Terrace/Terracing".

The South end of the ground was "The Dunbar End" from the Dunbar's fizzy drinks factory that stood just behind that end. (I used to love their Red Kola, btw.)

And the North end was "The Albion Road End", for reasons that are fairly obvious.

There was a weird concrete erection at the Albion Road End, called either "The Cowshed" or "The Cave". This was where the really diehard Hibbies gathered (the view btw was dreadful, since the pillars supporting the roof were about two feet square - it looked like a Nazi U-boat pen that had got stranded when the tide went out - but I can remember great high jinks in there whenever a group of away fans tried to move in under the roof.)

That, as far as I can remember, was the way things were around 1965, though I'm happy to be better informed by any other auld codger with a few more marbles than I have left.

The pitch sloped downwards towards the Albion Road End - the Dunbar End goals were 8 feet higher that the ones at the Albion Road End, and Hibs always played up the slope first half if they won the toss. Down the slope second half we were terrifying (to the opposition) - the momentum would build and build and then the guys in the Stand would start a chant of "Gerrintaethum" and stamp their feet in unison - Da-dum Da-DAH, Da-dum Da-DAH - and the old TIN shed would resonate like a huge drum and the guys on the terraces would join in clapping their hands and the clouds of cigarette smoke and the smell of liniment would waft round the ground under the floodlights on their high pylons ...

... and I think I'm gonnae cry.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE.

:tbgwa::tbgwa::tbgwa::tbgwa::tbgwa:

Great memories Doddie. The other thing I remember around this time of year was the smell of cigar smoke in the main stand. It never seemed to be at any other time apart from Christmas and New Year.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post

The terrace opposite the Stand was simply "The Terrace", "The Terracing", or "The Main Terrace/Terracing".

The South end of the ground was "The Dunbar End" from the Dunbar's fizzy drinks factory that stood just behind that end. (I used to love their Red Kola, btw.)

And the North end was "The Albion Road End", for reasons that are fairly obvious.

There was a weird concrete erection at the Albion Road End, called either "The Cowshed" or "The Cave". This was where the really diehard Hibbies gathered (the view btw was dreadful, since the pillars supporting the roof were about two feet sq uare - it looked like a Nazi U-boat pen that had got stranded when the tide went out - but I can remember great high jinks in there whenever a group of away fans tried to move in under the roof.)

That, as far as I can remember, was the way things were around 1965, though I'm happy to be better informed by any other auld codger with a few more marbles than I have left.

The pitch sloped downwards towards the Albion Road End - the Dunbar End goals were 8 feet higher that the ones at the Albion Road End, and Hibs always played up the slope first half if they won the toss. Down the slope second half we were terrifying (to the opposition) - the momentum would build and build and then the guys in the Stand would start a chant of "Gerrintaethum" and stamp their feet in unison - Da-dum Da-DAH, Da-dum Da-DAH - and the old TIN shed would resonate like a huge drum and the guys on the terraces would join in clapping their hands and the clouds of cigarette smoke and the smell of liniment would waft round the ground under the floodlights on their high pylons ...

image.jpg

Posted this before, part of the old factory is still there
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadesLongThrow View Post
    Great memories Doddie. The other thing I remember around this time of year was the smell of cigar smoke in the main stand. It never seemed to be at any other time apart from Christmas and New Year.

Oh my yes. Everybody seemed to get cigars for Christmas. Wills' Panatellas in individual aluminium tubes IIRC.

Or the wee Dutch ones in the flat tins.

First Team Regular Billy McKirdy's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: N?A Wii Code: N?A

There was a weird concrete erection at the Albion Road End, called either "The Cowshed" or "The Cave". This was where the really diehard Hibbies gathered (the view btw was dreadful, since the pillars supporting the roof were about two feet square

Ah! The cooshed :-)
    Remember on the concrete roof supports, someone bizzarly painted the word "plug" on the beam?
    Now being a 10 year old who read comics like The Beano at the time, I always imagined Plug from The Bash Street Kids doing that for a laugh. A bit random I know but I always thought that whenever I saw it :-D

There was a weird concrete erection at the Albion Road End, called either "The Cowshed" or "The Cave". This was where the really diehard Hibbies gathered (the view btw was dreadful, since the pillars supporting the roof were about two feet square - it looked like a Nazi U-boat pen that had got stranded when the tide went out - but I can remember great high jinks in there whenever a group of away fans tried to move in under the roof.)

Aye. Beautiful memories.

As I once almost said to Linda Lusardi.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiethedog View Post
    Surely that was at another ground in the city ?
    Sorry, old age! I meant Albion Road!!!

@hibs.net private member andy1875's Avatar
    I recall one game that was going to be potentially called off due to the cow shed roof being ripped off with high winds.

The game went ahead anyway and I'm positive it was against Rangers (losing 4-3). I might be wrong.

My first memory of going to Easter road was the very chant getintaethum and for some reason a vision after the game had finished of mist visible in the floodlights blowing down the slope across in front of the advert for the pink news that perched up on the main stand, standing in the east stand to this day I still sometimes get that flashback,

First Team Breakthrough hibby67's Avatar
    THE DUNBAR END

THE COOSHEAD

The Old Coo Shed wi the uncomfiest wooden benches ever, had a season ticket in there as a wee boy before moving over to the terracing.

The pie hut was up the back, if I remember correctly then I kind of remember it being moved doon to the bottom right.

Remember walking back up from the Pie Hut wi ma Kit Kat and being blootered by a stray shot, I'm sure it was captured on Sportscene, I'll need to dig oot the VHS tapes to find it.

There was a scoreboard on the roof of the Coo Shed, until the high winds blew it doon and I'm sure they had to shut it for a while cause it became unsafe.

Quote Originally Posted by hibby67 View Post
    THE DUNBAR END

THE COOSHEAD

You use to get a great view of Arthur's seat behind the Dunbar end