hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Becoming a hibee

Hi folks. First came on here ages ago and this is my first post I think. I am a Celtic fan, but have always had a soft spot for Hibs. I have followed Celtic for thirty years but I am absolutely fed up by everything about the club to be honest. From the support to the boardroom. I have been thinking about pledging my support to hibs for some time. Maybe getting to a few games this season then investing in a season ticket next season. Are there any supporters busses leave from Perth or Dundee area?

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough Jonny1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Jonny1875
    Quote Originally Posted by PAUL67 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hi folks. First came on here ages ago and this is my first post I think. I am a Celtic fan, but have always had a soft spot for Hibs. I have followed Celtic for thirty years but I am absolutely fed up by everything about the club to be honest. From the support to the boardroom. I have been thinking about pledging my support to hibs for some time. Maybe getting to a few games this season then investing in a season ticket next season. Are there any supporters busses leave from Perth or Dundee area?
    You cant just switch the team you support...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny1875 View Post
    you can..people changes houses / cars / jobs / countries they live in / partners.....why not teams?

First Team Breakthrough Jonny1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Jonny1875
    Quote Originally Posted by down-the-slope View Post
    you can..people changes houses / cars / jobs / countries they live in / partners.....why not teams?
    Its just wrong, its not right to switch teams in my opinion.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: torto7062
    Welcome to the Original Green and White Family.

Years ago I used to travel from Perth
    to games with the Perth Paul Kano's.

I'm sure they still travel together.

Pits Pantomime Season. oh yes you can

Support your local team if you have to change

Quote Originally Posted by Torto7062 View Post
    Welcome to the Original Green and White Family.

Years ago I used to travel from Perth
    to games with the Perth Paul Kano's.

I'm sure they still travel together.
    cheers mate. will check that out

First Team Breakthrough littleplum's Avatar
    When's the cut-off? I didn't really start supporting Hibs til I was about 12. Prior to that I would have described myself as a Celtic fan. Don't tell me I have to go back!

Left by mutual consent!
    Not if you're seeing the light and moving the right way.

was going to ask how hibees would react to me, after a lot of thought and soul searching, supporting hibs. Obvious mixed haha. My local teams would be st Johnstone or the Dundee clubs. I don't like them. I like hibs

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    was going to ask how hibees would react to me, after a lot of thought and soul searching, supporting hibs. Obvious mixed haha. My local teams would be st Johnstone or the Dundee clubs. I don't like them. I like hibs
    So support a local junior club or the likes?

Why would you elect to support Hibs? Please, for the love of goodness, don't cite any special relationships or kinsmanship between the clubs...
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Story So Far... View Post
    So support a local junior club or the likes?

Why would you elect to support Hibs? Please, for the love of goodness, don't cite any special relationships or kinsmanship between the clubs...
    Wonder if your attitude would be the same if it was sticky that posted the thread.

Welcome. If it was good enough for Pat Nevin to switch sides, then it's good enough for you

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar

well done seeing the light, better get used to not winning much though

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Desperate Dan View Post
    Wonder if your attitude would be the same if it was sticky that posted the thread.
    I think it's a legitimate question - why Hibs?

Like you, I don't believe you 'can't' switch sides (I of all people would be a hypocrite to decry such a notion) but if you're giving up your team for whatever reason, I think you need to find a good reason to follow another team.

We need all the support we can get any other Defectors out there

People aren't born with a religion, a political affiliation, or a football team. It's a result of your environment, your family and friends, where you live, and many other factors. That it's taken someone a while to navigate all these factors and find their true club doesn't matter- he's found it and we should welcome that.

Obviously if it were the other way round then he'd be a clueless, fickle, treacherous *******.

Like you, I don't believe you 'can't' switch sides (I of all people would be a hypocrite to decry such a notion) but if you're giving up your team for whatever reason, I think you need to find a good reason to follow another team.
    I don't believe you can, not if you really support a particular team.

There is no way I could support a team other than Hibs, even if I stopped going to see them for some reason.

Everyone welcome- But, It's a tough life being a Hibs fan *warning*

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by HibeeN View Post
    Why though? Maybe he's not interested in junior football and wants to watch an SPFL team? (Though some might argue the junior football is more appealing at the moment!)

I don't see a problem with it. People change a lot over the course of their lives, and there might be many reasons that they no longer identify with their club any more. It's unusual, but not inherently wrong.
    I don't see a problem with it either. I've done it myself, having grown up as a Livingston fan but grew rapidly fed up of all the financial misgivings and constant off the field politics/drama.

Quote Originally Posted by HibeeN View Post
    I had a friend who was a Rangers fan but always had a soft spot for Hibs, which seemed strange. But now he's a Hibs fan.

As for reason why he wants to support Hibs, I don't think that's anybody's business but his own. If its kinsmanship, history or just liking the same colour, it shouldn't make any difference to us, and it doesn't mean that the feeling of kinsmanship has to be mutual.
    You're right that it's nobody's business but I'm curious as to why. If he's fed up following Celtc playing in the same competitions and against the same teams as Hibs on a weekly basis, surely diversity is what he's after.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    I don't believe you can, not if you really support a particular team.

There is no way I could support a team other than Hibs, even if I stopped going to see them for some reason.
    Guess it depends on the circumstances. I dare say a lot of fans who have followed clubs mired in a degree of controversy or problems might rediscover their allegiances.

I know a lot of people who grew up supporting one half of the Old Firm but grew rapidly disillusioned with the nonsense associated and elected to follow their local clubs instead, passionately backing them even when they came up against The Rangers or Celtc in cup games and the likes.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Ask Pat Nevin about that.

You and about 20,OOO others going by the last crowd at parkhead. Tell the truth now Paul, you are the leader of the Green brigade and have just had your erse booted by Liewell.

Left by mutual consent!

Maybe he likes green, maybe he's realised he'd like green even better without the baggage that goes with the other lot. Be good if we could get back a lot of the fans stolen by the OF (particularly the bus loads of fans from Edinburgh). All welcome as far as I'm concerned as long as all the other stuff is left behind.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Desperate Dan View Post
    Maybe he likes green, maybe he's realised he'd like green even better without the baggage that goes with the other lot. Be good if we could get back a lot of the fans stolen by the OF (particularly fans from Edinburgh). All welcome as far as I'm concerned as long as all the other stuff is left behind.
    As per my other post a wee bit further up, I don't disagree at all.

Welcome aboard mate. Personally I think you're signing up for Hibs at just the right time. By the way if you can't switch teams how come so many people do?

It's nothing to do with kinsmanship haha. I think a lot of Celtic fans have a soft spot for hubs but I know that feeling is definitely not reciprocated. I am scottish of Irish descent. I always liked the fact that hibs were scottish of Irish descent but without all the political nonsense. They are comfortable enough with their roots and history that they don't have to sing political songs to prove it. I have fond memories of school holidays spent in Edinburgh with an aunt and uncle. She was a jambo, he was a hibee and I liked the football, the colours etc. Been to see them at tannadice a few times when I was younger but was brought up supporting Celtic and have become mire and more disillusioned with what the club have become, where they are heading, still hearing ira chants in 21st century. Haha I can handle not winning so much. I like hibs, I'm not really into junior football.I want to watch a team who who offer a variety of emotions and where it's all about the football.

It's nothing to do with kinsmanship haha. I think a lot of Celtic fans have a soft spot for hubs but I know that feeling is definitely not reciprocated. I am scottish of Irish descent. I always liked the fact that hibs were scottish of Irish descent but without all the political nonsense. They are comfortable enough with their roots and history that they don't have to sing political songs to prove it. I have fond memories of school holidays spent in Edinburgh with an aunt and uncle. She was a jambo, he was a hibee and I liked the football, the colours etc. Been to see them at tannadice a few times when I was younger but was brought up supporting Celtic and have become mire and more disillusioned with what the club have become, where they are heading, still hearing ira chants in 21st century. Haha I can handle not winning so much. I like hibs, I'm not really into junior football.I want to watch a team who who offer a variety of emotions and where it's all about the football.
    Excellent. Meet everyone behind the Famous 5 Stand on Saturday for your initiation paddling.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    It's nothing to do with kinsmanship haha. I think a lot of Celtic fans have a soft spot for hubs .