hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Paul McGowan looking at jail time

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-25403705

Pleaded guilty to assaulting 2 police officers, looking a decent spell in the slammer I'd imagine.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    I have a friend "not me honest" who has a good few police assaults and never been jailed, a harsh fine id imagine. Maybe sum c.s that will prob b a good laugh in airdrie :/ lol

First Team Breakthrough
    would hope he does get jail time, not that I dislike the chap but he's got previous and they were only doing their jobs...assualt should carry a custodial in my slightly harsh world
    Last edited by Platinum Scotty; 16-12-2013 at 01:14 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Pleaded guilty to assaulting 2 police officers, looking a decent spell in the slammer I'd imagine.
    Ironic that one of them is a Sgt Tony Fitzpatrick!

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar

Notice one of the cops is called Tony Fitzpatrick......

He's done it before and is charged with 'repeatedly' kicking. Has to be jail sentence.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Got to be said the last two or 3 times I have seen him play Hibs he does seem to have a ridiculously short fuse and his reaction is sometimes completely disproportionate for the most innocuous of incidents.

Hope he gets off with it,polis take to many liberties in my experience

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leggeto View Post
    Ridiculous comment.

Why,remember the polis can be heavy handed when they want
    Last edited by leggeto; 16-12-2013 at 01:36 PM.

Testimonial Due
    Sounds like a right prick

What a stupid comment.

The Police employ thousands of people in the UK so it stands to reason there will be a few jumped up Hitlers and erseholes. There's also plenty who do a good job in difficult circumstances.

I can't think of many good reasons for repeatedly kicking someone whilst they are on the ground. It's the behaviour of a coward and a bully. I hope they throw the book at him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    What a stupid comment.

The Police employ thousands of people in the UK so it stands to reason there will be a few jumped up Hitlers and erseholes. There's also plenty who do a good job in difficult circumstances.

I can't think of many good reasons for repeatedly kicking someone whilst they are on the ground. It's the behaviour of a coward and a bully. I hope they throw the book at him.
    Well said mate, totally agree with all that.

Why,remember the polis can be heavy handed when they want
    Yes, coppers have been known to overstep the mark and instigate skirmishes, just as civilians do. Any Hibs fan who has endured 'policing' at Parkhead/Ibrox should be able to testify to that.

Has looked their best player last couple of times we've played them IMO. Creative. But clearly not the brightest lad.

@hibs.net private member
    Jail should only be used to protect the public, better to fine him and get him to take kids football training. As a nation we jail to many people

What a stupid comment.

you don't know he was kicking someone on the ground but if he was then fair enough hope he does get done,but innocent untill proven guilty for me

What a stupid comment.

Totally agree, but who's to say one of those "jumped up Hitlers and erseholes" didn't find an easy target in Paul McGowan, with his "previous" and provoked a response? If PMcG was the "ersehole" fair enough, if the police were provoking a response, it is never going to be proved.

GGTTH

you don't know he was kicking someone on the ground but if he was then fair enough hope he does get done,but innocent untill proven guilty for me
    I think by pleading guilty, he probably has, or has no "independant witness" to support him.

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    He has pleaded guilty.

What more proof would you need?

Dearie me

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs07p View Post
    Totally agree, but who's to say one of those "jumped up Hitlers and erseholes" didn't find an easy target in Paul McGowan, with his "previous" and provoked a response? If PMcG was the "ersehole" fair enough, if the police were provoking a response, it is never going to be proved.

GGTTH
    Is he famous enough that a Policeman would recognise him and know about his previous conviction to target him?

I could walk past the guy in the street and not have a clue who he was.

Given that according to reports the assault took place when the Police were trying to arrest him it suggests he was being a bit of a pest.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Really.

So it's ok for them to be kicked and punched. Get a grip

If be very surprised if he was jailed as there was not serious injury but do expect some sort of large fine and some sort community payback order.
    Last edited by Aldo; 16-12-2013 at 02:32 PM.

Is he famous enough that a Policeman would recognise him and know about his previous conviction to target him?

I could walk past the guy in the street and not have a clue who he was.

Given that according to reports the assault took place when the Police were trying to arrest him it suggests he was being a bit of a pest.
    Who's saying he's famous? It could have been the same PC that arrested him before.? What was he getting arrested for, and was he guilty of that offence? Or was it easier to "prove" police assault with no independent witness? Who knows, but by your own admission, there are probably mini hitlers and erseholes employed amongst the many PC's who do a great job in difficult circumstances.

GGTTH

Why did he even do it? Seems a mental situation to get in when you're booting a police officer on the ground

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs07p View Post
    Who's saying he's famous? It could have been the same PC that arrested him before.? What was he getting arrested for, and was he guilty of that offence? Or was it easier to "prove" police assault with no independent witness? Who knows, but by your own admission, there are probably mini hitlers and erseholes employed amongst the many PC's who do a great job in difficult circumstances.

GGTTH
    are you suggesting he was the innocent party, picked on by policemen who as luck would have it were the last folks to see him "innocently" assulting someone and as there is a history of police overstepping the mark on a minor percentage of occasions it was fair game for him to "defend" himself by kicking repeatedly two policemen - thereafter to prove he was the innocent party to then declare himself guilty to save the tax payer money?

Left by mutual consent!

'McGowan started his career with Celtic, where he made his debut in 2007'

Cue banners proclaiming 'Innocent/Framed' etc at 'Darkheid'

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum Scotty View Post
    are you suggesting he was the innocent party, picked on by policemen who as luck would have it were the last folks to see him "innocently" assulting someone and as there is a history of police overstepping the mark on a minor percentage of occasions it was fair game for him to "defend" himself by kicking repeatedly two policemen - thereafter to prove he was the innocent party to then declare himself guilty to save the tax payer money?
    That's a bit of a mouthful, but not suggesting he was innocent of anything. Some police have the tendency to pick on or provoke individuals, and yes, they often are the last people to see him do whatever may take their fancy, innocent or not. The percentage of police overstepping the mark, can not be proved one way or another, as IMO any misdemeanors they may commit are in the presence of their colleagues. I believe, according to the report, he only repeatedly kicked one PC, neither here nor there though. He must have caught them off guard though to repeatedly kick a PC in the presence of so many colleagues, without hitting the deck in one rapid movement. To declare himself guilty is probably better than going to trial, when probably the only witnesses present were PC's.

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
    'McGowan started his career with Celtic, where he made his debut in 2007'

Cue banners proclaiming 'Innocent/Framed' etc at 'Darkheid'
    I mentioned McGowan to a yam workmate as a decent #10, he responded with a sneeer and said he gets booed at Tinpotcastle because of his celtc connections. Whether theres a sectarian element to that I can only guess...

First Team Breakthrough LioNeilMessi's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: soakingdisk795
    Not good for St Mirren, do we have anyone we can loan to them in January so they stay out of reach of the yams?