hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Uefa chief wants sin-bin over yellow cards

European football chief Michel Platini has called for yellow cards to be replaced by a sin-bin.
    "I would make it like rugby, punishing the offender with 10 or 15 minutes out of the game," he said in an interview with Spanish sports daily newspaper AS.
    "It is an idea. Now it needs to mature and see if it really is good for the game. It is a proposal to be explored."

So, what do we think then?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: yekim evol
    No.

Great idea, will cut out all the needless stupid yellow cards you see in the game, players will think twice before they put in a silly challenge or mouth off to the ref.

No. Just mistiming a challenge on the edge of the box, lose a free-kick and normally a yellow. For that player to then miss 15 minutes is rubbish. Don't even like egg chasing so keep our own rules imo.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Meeko View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    European football chief Michel Platini has called for yellow cards to be replaced by a sin-bin.
    "I would make it like rugby, punishing the offender with 10 or 15 minutes out of the game," he said in an interview with Spanish sports daily newspaper AS.
    "It is an idea. Now it needs to mature and see if it really is good for the game. It is a proposal to be explored."

Imagine giving this power to Thomson in a Derby. What happens with 10-15 mins left in a game...? Defenders allow the Yams to waltz through them?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I think it's a great idea, it means the team that the offence was committed against gets the benefit of the punishment.

@hibs.net private member StevieT's Avatar
    No way. I hope he can explain how a referee who is on his / her own (no assistants or fourth official) can keep track of who is in the sin bin and how long they gave been there.

Testimonial Due
    If its not broken, don't try to fix it

and what would happen in a derby game where you get 4 or 5 players booked. Doe sth egame get abandoned if they are all off at the same time?

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    There's a disparity between Rugby and Football in terms of infringements that attract a yellow card. Does this mean suspensions would still be dished out too or would they be done away with?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

First Team Breakthrough Leighonel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Meeko View Post

Not a good idea for football. Not much of a rugby fan but from what ive seen there arent as many cards given out in rugby. The amount of yellows in some games could result in teams goung down to 8 or 9 men.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Think of the power that'd give the like of yam cheat ******* Thomson.

No chance.

@hibs.net private member BonnieFitbaTeam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leighonel View Post
    Not a good idea for football. Not much of a rugby fan but from what ive seen there arent as many cards given out in rugby. The amount of yellows in some games could result in teams goung down to 8 or 9 men.
    8 or 9 ? It would be 8 or 9 a side most weeks. Some games could end up 6 a side, or farcically 10 against 6 (for example). There are far too many yellow card offences for this to work.

Yet another attempt to remove tackling from the game ?
    At Easter Road They Play.....

Blog Entries
    I think you could modify it to ensure that that player was out of the game - subbing him for 15mins maybe?

I like the idea of being punished in the game in which the offence occurred.

Nightmare for grassroots refs though

A power play like in ice hockey,sounds like great fun

@hibs.net private member MartinfaePorty's Avatar
    Surely it couldn't be fair that the offence Cairney received his first yellow for should be punished in the same way as the assualt on Harris that has put him out for months?

I've been advocating a sin-bin for years, but only for offences that fall somewhere between a yellow and a red card. By this I mean where a sending off might be deemed too harsh e.g. handball on the line, continuous minor transgressions or for those ones where we all say 'it could have either been a red or a yellow'. At least if the ref makes a mistake, it won't have as much an affect on the game and if they should have been sent off, well at least they were off the pitch for a while.

I guess one issue would be what happens if the incident occurs in the last few minutes of a game? Carrying it over to the next game would help another team (although this happens with red cards now), so suppose they might have to get more disciplinary points added than someone who completed their sin bin time. Any rugger / ice hockey fans out there know what happens in those sports?

@hibs.net private member Juice-Terry's Avatar
    Not broken. No need to fix. Reeks of another Platini attempt to make his (*****y) mark on the game. Euro 2016 anyone?

I doubt Platini spends much time watching Scottish football but until there's a general level of competence among refs this would be a nightmare.

There are already too many red card decisions which are incorrect, the yellows tend to go unnoticed but if they became potentially game changing then they would be put under scrutiny and all hell would break loose.

Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    No. Just mistiming a challenge on the edge of the box, lose a free-kick and normally a yellow. For that player to then miss 15 minutes is rubbish. Don't even like egg chasing so keep our own rules imo.
    I like the idea. 10mins would be good. it would cut out cynical challenges, ryan Stevenson and I dare say the Italians would not like it

Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    I like the idea. 10mins would be good. it would cut out cynical challenges, ryan Stevenson and I dare say the Italians would not like it

Nope, their games would turn into 5 a side.

Rugby is very different to football. Ref's in Rugby aren't anywhere near as football refs. How many yellow cards get fired out compared to football yellows. If we done this then we wouldn't be booking players for silly fouls but more serious ones. Reds would then occur if it's a shocking challenge leg breaker or you fight.

Quote Originally Posted by leggeto View Post
    A power play like in ice hockey,sounds like great fun
    This would be better in my view. 10 minutes if far too long.

I would say 3 or 4 minutes. Player goes to warm up behind goal etc and comes back on.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    I like this idea but would change it slightly, funily enough we were talking about it on Monday at work.

I think if you recieve 2 bookable offences in a game then a 15 min sin bin is a fair punishment. only time a player should be off is for a straight red offence. so although the desicions were wrong r.e cairney, it would seem more fair to punish him for 15 min as apposed to a red card imo

First Team Breakthrough
    No.

No need for it.

My main objection is the inconsistancy in the game. Evey week we see players getting booked, when an oposition player who does the same thing does not get booked. If refs can't get that right week in - week out, there is no way could a sin bin be a fair system. One team in each game will always get an advantage, rightly or wrongly.

The punishment of a yellow card and a free kick is fine.
    Last edited by NGP; 05-12-2013 at 01:29 PM.

Missing one point I think

You are taking away the right to appeal. No point in appealing if you have already been reduced to 10 men and the other team have scored.

May not be a lot of yellows and reds overturned but there are some.

In my opinion it would not improve the game one bit. 2 yellows and the player is already off and if one yellow is not enough to send someone off why should it suddenly be enough now, even if for 10-15 minutes?

Keep off the wine Platini, or take up rugby!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    I like this idea but would change it slightly, funily enough we were talking about it on Monday at work.

I think if you recieve 2 bookable offences in a game then a 15 min sin bin is a fair punishment. only time a player should be off is for a straight red offence. so although the desicions were wrong r.e cairney, it would seem more fair to punish him for 15 min as apposed to a red card imo
    But this leaves it up to the referees discretion and open to abuse.

Rugby has a sin-bin system but at the highest levels they also have video referees who watch the game and report incidents.

It should never be brought near football.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SanFranHibs View Post
    You are taking away the right to appeal. No point in appealing if you have already been reduced to 10 men and the other team have scored.

May not be a lot of yellows and reds overturned but there are some.

In my opinion it would not improve the game one bit. 2 yellows and the player is already off and if one yellow is not enough to send someone off why should it suddenly be enough now, even if for 10-15 minutes?

Keep off the wine Platini, or take up rugby!
    As far as I'm aware there's no appeal for a yellow card, so none are ever overturned. At least with 10mins in the sin bin your not going to miss future games for a refereeing error.

Good point

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    As far as I'm aware there's no appeal for a yellow card, so none are ever overturned. At least with 10mins in the sin bin your not going to miss future games for a refereeing error.
    but 2 yellows make a red. Can't they be appealed? Or is it only straight reds?

Frankly i think the idea of power play like hockey is not a good comparison. 11 v 10 for several miniutes is nothing like being short handed at ice hockey. Also, players might be more inclined to commit fouls if they know the penalty is a couple of minutes in the sin bin.

what exactly is Platini trying to fix?

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Stupid idea. Would leave us even further at the mercy of incompetent referees who hand out bookings like Coco the Clown does sweeties anyway...

And what if there's a mass brawl? Going to have 4 v 5 on the pitch for a time? Leave it be!

First Team Breakthrough
    Would make it a lot easier for Thomson to cheat us. Imagine Hugh Dallas was around if this was implemented. Anyone playing rangers would finish the game with no players.