Aidan Smith: Riordan and O’Connor’s roles at Hibs

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    The wee dig at Vine at the end is a bit silly IMO

@hibs.net private member Tricla's Avatar
    That's an awful piece.

I'd take him more seriously if he hadn't supported the filth for a year for the sake of a few quid.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricla View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's an awful piece.
    I didn't think it was that bad ....... or that good to be honest.

Vine comment was wholly unnecessary too
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    Maybe, but it's true

A good read but nothing being said that hasn't already been discussed on here

Quote Originally Posted by Tricla View Post
    That's an awful piece.
    Awful, no... pointless yes unfortunately it hammers home some truths about two wasted talents which we and everyone else with an interest in Scottish football know all about

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    We are persevering with Vine - he'll be one of the first to get punted.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    I'd take him more seriously if he hadn't supported the filth for a year for the sake of a few quid.
    Amen to that.

No sure about anyone else but personally I'm sick of hearing and reading about these 2. They are grown men who have ****d up their football careers as it stands, tuff. They were legends in a lot of people's eyes and I appreciate what they did but its done.....gone...they won't be back. When will the press and some fans just stop and let it go.

I thought Heartfelt was quite funny and certainly don't hold it against him. This piece was ok, nothing special and be written many times before. The dig at Vine was cheap and unnecessary.

Two young me that we're badly advised, got too big headed and were easily led astray.

Would we we all love to see their heads right and fully fit doing a job for hibs? be surprised if many wouldn't tbh. Do they have the maturity, level headedness, desire? I know one thing, as much as I am not a O'Connor or Riordan fan (not for football but lifestyles), I would take any one of them hanging in and around the box for us just now. Saying that, would take anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    when I saw the name on the heading, initially my thoughts were, who gives a ... what he says. On reading, I think, fair play . a lot of it is true. most Hibs fans will regret the early demise of these 2 guys, who were revered at times with Hibs fans. I'd still like to see a cameo role for Deeks btw

Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    when I saw the name on the heading, initially my thoughts were, who gives a ... what he says. On reading, I think, fair play . a lot of it is true. most Hibs fans will regret the early demise of these 2 guys, who were revered at times with Hibs fans. I'd still like to see a cameo role for Deeks btw
    I'm sure there must be a walk on part in Eastenders or Corrie.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    So many short sentences. It's really annoying.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: FleshCabbage
    Aidan Smith is a talentless nobody that can't write for toffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Eyed Hibs View Post
    I thought Heartfelt was quite funny and certainly don't hold it against him. This piece was ok, nothing special and be written many times before. The dig at Vine was cheap and unnecessary.
    I bought it but never read it.

I also know some of the 'characters' in the book and they hate Hibs.

I genuinely don't know how he managed it. Well, I do...money.

I think Kenny Miller - mentioned in the article - has scored more career goals than O' Connor & Riordan put together.

@hibs.net private member
    I bought it but never read it.

I also know some of the 'characters' in the book and they hate Hibs.

I genuinely don't know how he managed it. Well, I do...money.
    But that's surely the whole point....that it's a difficult thing to do......I'm not sure "Barcafelt" would be quite as difficult a year to write....I'm sure he did it for some money...it's his job after all. Equally, I'm sure he did it as he knew it would be an interesting dilemma. it was a decent book, not outstanding, but had some highs in it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    But that's surely the whole point....that it's a difficult thing to do......I'm not sure "Barcafelt" would be quite as difficult a year to write....I'm sure he did it for some money...it's his job after all. Equally, I'm sure he did it as he knew it would be an interesting dilemma. it was a decent book, not outstanding, but had some highs in it.
    I haven't read it but the fact that he could do it voluntarily on a whim tells me he's not the sort that would make the dilemma at all interesting. It's like "Fever Pitch": the whole premise is that it's the diary of a diehard whereas in fact it's the story of a pretty wet gloryhunter who spends half the book listening to their results on the radio. Limp.

Quote Originally Posted by ****pile View Post
    I'm sure there must be a walk on part in Eastenders or Corrie.
    couldnae be corrie, the accent would give him away, likesay and eastenders, Phil would have something to say about him trying to muscle in.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple & Green View Post
    I think Kenny Miller - mentioned in the article - has scored more career goals than O' Connor & Riordan put together.

Not quite....but pretty close.

KM has 197 goals plus 18 for Scotland and 2 for the U21's. DR has 117 career goals and GOC has 104 plus 4 at international level. So its KM at 217 with GOC/DR at 225. KM has played 661 matches compared to DR 327 and GOC 363 for combined total of 690.

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser1962 View Post
    Not quite....but pretty close.

KM has 197 goals plus 18 for Scotland and 2 for the U21's. DR has 117 career goals and GOC has 104 plus 4 at international level. So its KM at 217 with GOC/DR at 225. KM has played 661 matches compared to DR 327 and GOC 363 for combined total of 690.
    I think the really telling statistic there is the one indicating that Miller has played almost as many games as the two of them put together. That's at once impressive but nevertheless something of a shame.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

Ach, quite a boring read with nothing original or thought provoking.

Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    No sure about anyone else but personally I'm sick of hearing and reading about these 2. They are grown men who have ****d up their football careers as it stands, tuff. They were legends in a lot of people's eyes and I appreciate what they did but its done.....gone...they won't be back. When will the press and some fans just stop and let it go.
    Tend to agree Nostalgia always fills as space when there are periods like now when we don't have a striker scoring .However the fact is they were two players with undoubted talent who didn't realise their full potential.The in itself is a tragic waste but they both made choices and are now paying the price If youngers players can learn from there mistakes then so be it But while I have great memories that's all they are now .Time to make some new ones.

Not much of a story if he is trying to make an impact somewhere

True about Vine though

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    One things for sure Aiden Smith is no investigative journalist.

There is a whole chapter unwritten about the way that management allowed young Hibs players the freedom to conduct an unprofessional lifestyle and associate with the Edinburgh club scene. Some players like Scotty, Kevin and Steven Whittaker left Edinburgh and joined clubs where that sort of conduct was not tolerated by their employers. In the case of Scotty this freed him of some dodgy characters who were hanging around like a bad smell. He has buckled down and become an excellent role model for club and country.

From about 2002, Hibs supporting families suffered a decade worth of embarassment with stories about Hibs players or former Hibs players in trouble for one thing or another. Club management were way too remote from their staff and soft on discipline as a result. In the case of Deek and Garry they were then invited back for another time at the club bringing their baggage back with them. Hopefully lessons have been learned by the board that we need staff that conduct themselves with dignity on and off the park and give of their time to the supporters and the local community.

All that said I'm really glad we saw Derek and Garry in their heyday as young guns. Some fantastic games and memories.

First Team Regular GREEN WARLORD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    Could you imagine Deeks wearing a bright red jock strap and singing 'Word Up'

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gogs43 View Post

There is a whole chapter unwritten about the way that management allowed young Hibs players the freedom to conduct an unprofessional lifestyle and associate with the Edinburgh club scene. Some players like Scotty, Kevin and Steven Whittaker left Edinburgh and joined clubs where that sort of conduct was not tolerated by their employers. In the case of Scotty this freed him of some dodgy characters who were hanging around like a bad smell. He has buckled down and become an excellent role model for club and country.

From about 2002, Hibs supporting families suffered a decade worth of embarassment with stories about Hibs players or former Hibs players in trouble for one thing or another. Club management were way too remote from their staff and soft on discipline as a result. In the case of Deek and Garry they were then invited back for another time at the club bringing their baggage back with them. Hopefully lessons have been learned by the board that we need staff that conduct themselves with dignity on and off the park and give of their time to the supporters and the local community.

All that said I'm really glad we saw Derek and Garry in their heyday as young guns. Some fantastic games and memories.

So you are saying that the bad culture at Hibs started with the golden genaration from 2002.?

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gogs43 View Post

A decade worth of embarrassment? Come on.

Our youth development has probably been the envy of most Scottish clubs, if not all of them. The fact that our Gaz appears to have a coke habit and Riordan's career won't finish the way it started probably doesn't amount to a decade of embarrassment for most Hibs supporting families.