hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pet Peeves III

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you read the Highway Code it states that you should not pass any vehicle on the left hand side unless they are signaling right. So you should in fact wait in the queue of traffic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    So, if you two sticklers were in the inside lane of a three-lane Mway such as the M8 in Glasgow and you were going to exit at the next sliproad one hundred yards ahead, you would take care not to be travelling faster than anyone in the middle lane (who would not be signalling to turn right)? I dinna hink so!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    So, if you two sticklers were in the inside lane of a three-lane Mway such as the M8 in Glasgow and you were going to exit at the next sliproad one hundred yards ahead, you would take care not to be travelling faster than anyone in the middle lane (who would not be signalling to turn right)? I dinna hink so!
    I can't think of any right turn slip roads on the M8. They're all left turn. If you had a right turn one then by definition you'd be in the overtaking lane anyway?

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Highway code rule 268 allows the left hand lane to pass slower moving right hand lanes.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Twa Cairpets View Post
    Just came off a call with a biz-talk muppet.

He used the following:

"When we take a helicopter view rather than considering the granularity we can understand the strategic implications".

I understand the meaning entirely, but was cringing at the pomposity of the phrase.
    Thing is the more time you spend in such environs the more you speak like that when in them. Never used helicopter although I will admit to using granular once this week! ;-)

To help me avoid becoming a biz-talk muppet (like that phrase and will be using it to describe an particular proponent of said offence in my world from now on) how do you suggest he should have constructed his sentence?

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by SiMar View Post
    Thing is the more time you spend in such environs the more you speak like that when in them. Never used helicopter although I will admit to using granular once this week! ;-)

To help me avoid becoming a biz-talk muppet (like that phrase and will be using it to describe an particular proponent of said offence in my world from now on) how do you suggest he should have constructed his sentence?

That's some blue sky thinking right there. We should horizon scan for alternatives and really drill down from the top level.

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Highway code rule 268 allows the left hand lane to pass slower moving right hand lanes.
    So does it not make complete sense that a cyclist be allowed to pass a motorist on his right even though the motorist is not signalling to turn right?

Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post
    I can't think of any right turn slip roads on the M8. They're all left turn. If you had a right turn one then by definition you'd be in the overtaking lane anyway?
    I was meaning exiting left from the inside lane, and in doing so passing traffic on the right, as often happens at busy periods. But for info there are right-exits on the M8 (eg at Junction 18 Charing Cross when heading west).

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    I was meaning exiting left from the inside lane, and in doing so passing traffic on the right, as often happens at busy periods. But for info there are right-exits on the M8 (eg at Junction 18 Charing Cross when heading west).
    Mr Pedantic might say "Charing Cross on A8 not M8".
    Please check rules for classification of 'motorway'.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Not sure what you're meaning here. This is more than anyone could want to know about Junction 18 and surrounds and all the indications - photaes and text - are M8.
    Wot makes you say A8?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SiMar View Post

"Don't get tied up in the detail, we need to look at this strategically". Using "strategic" as opposed to "operational" is not biz-speak.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    A8 becomes the M8 at Baillieston, does it not?
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Mr Pedantic would appear to be wrong
    M8 changes to A8 at Newhouse then changes back to M8 (I think) at Baillieston.
    (According to this link)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S-O6H6lgfA

Pet peeve - pedantic posters who are proved to be full of bullshoot
    Last edited by snooky; 22-11-2013 at 08:44 PM.

Helicopter view helps when drilling down to the granularity.

Helicopter view helps when drilling down to the granularity.
    Are you trying to turn this into a Rotory Club meeting?

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Folk waiting to turning right at a roundabout but not leaving room for folk to turn left. Seriously Does my head in
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by brian6-2 View Post
    Agree with the old people thing, think they should only be allowed out at certain times.

people who genuinley believe google is spying on them.

people wishing thier 1 year old bairn a happy birthday on facebook, does your 1 year old bairn have a facebook? can your 1 year old bairn read?

people who post a status on facebook asking for the number for the local doctors surgery.

people who sit on the outside seat on a busy bus and leave the window seat either empty or for thier bag. Does your bag pay 50 sheets a month for a bus pass? has your bag paid for a ticket?

smelly people on buses.

foreign people in airports, nae manners whatsoever.

people who live in this country but have zero interest in learning the language.

people who brand you racist for having an opinion like the one above.

people who post a completely pointless post on facebook every year after they have lost a loved one.

i have so many and could go on and on, im getting old haha
    People like you.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    So does it not make complete sense that a cyclist be allowed to pass a motorist on his right even though the motorist is not signalling to turn right?
    Perhaps I'm missing your point, but a cyclist CAN pass a motorist, be it on the motorists right or the motorists left,,,

Coaching Staff
    Charity wrist bracelet wearers.

That's not charity, it's literally a superficial fad of wearing it on your sleeve.
    Last edited by steakbake; 23-11-2013 at 01:06 AM.

Charity wrist bracelet wearers.

That's not charity, it's literally a superficial fad of wearing it on your sleeve.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH2o5Rxc6F0
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Perhaps I'm missing your point, but a cyclist CAN pass a motorist, be it on the motorists right or the motorists left,,,
    Being claimed that motorists must be signalling right for cyclists to pass on the left:

If you read the Highway Code it states that you should not pass any vehicle on the left hand side unless they are signaling right. So you should in fact wait in the queue of traffic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post

Being claimed that motorists must be signalling right for cyclists to pass on the left:
    I am an avid cyclist (with a road bike) and would never pass a vehicle on the left even if it was indicating to turn right. I was knocked off my bike doing this by a driver who decided to change their mind and pulled away without looking to their inside.

The road was wide enough for another vehicle to pass but the driver had positioned the vehicle that badly that no one could pass.

I was level with the front nearside wheel when it struck me, causing me to go arse over tit with the bike still attached to me. The driver got out and gave me dogs abuse, (as I lay on road) not bothering to ask how I was. Gravel rash, skint arms and legs grazes and bleeding and a knacked bike.

Other drivers that stopped helped me yet this other driver phoned the police and told then I had undertaken at a junction. Thankfully other drivers and pedestrians waited and backed me up. Took months to get claim sorted for my bike. Still got scars to this day.

Fwiw (my opinion) a cyclist should wait in stationary traffic (except in cycle lane) and only if a vehicle is turning right pass it on its nearside.... But as above it has it's dangers.
    Last edited by Aldo; 23-11-2013 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    I am an avid cyclist (with a road bike) and would never pass a vehicle on the left even if it was indicating to turn right. I was knocked off my bike doing this by a driver who decided to change their mind and pulled away without looking to their inside.

The road was wide enough for another vehicle to pass but the driver had positioned the vehicle that badly that no one could pass.

I was level with the front nearside wheel when it struck me, causing me to go arse over tit with the bike still attached to me. The driver got out and gave me dogs abuse, (as I lay on road) not bothering to ask how I was. Gravel rash, skint arms and legs grazes and bleeding and a knacked bike.

Other drivers that stopped helped me yet this other driver phoned the police and told then I had undertaken at a junction. Thankfully other drivers and pedestrians waited and backed me up. Took months to get claim sorted for my bike. Still got scars to this day.

Fwiw (my opinion) a cyclist should wait in stationary traffic (except in cycle lane) and only if a vehicle is turning right pass it on its nearside.... But as above it has it's dangers.
    Shirley your experience doesn't so much indicate that passing on the left is dangerous, but that drivers who don't know what they're doing are dangerous?

But anyway, there are also dangers for cyclists in waiting behind stationary vehicles. For example, breathing (hyperventilating in many cases, since cycling is strenuous). Being directly behind a vehicle, rather than at its left hand side, is prime position for inhaling all the crap they chuck oot their exhausts before it disperses into the general airspace. (When I'm cycling, I only ever wait directly behind electric vehicles. )

Junction 15 has a right hand slip off east and on west. Charing Cross, J18 I think, has an right hand off west and on east.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069862

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069862 268 Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.
    However we have to remember one thing - the Highway Code is Advisory and is not the law!

Shirley your experience doesn't so much indicate that passing on the left is dangerous, but that drivers who don't know what they're doing are dangerous? But anyway, there are also dangers for cyclists in waiting behind stationary vehicles. For example, breathing (hyperventilating in many cases, since cycling is strenuous). Being directly behind a vehicle, rather than at its left hand side, is prime position for inhaling all the crap they chuck oot their exhausts before it disperses into the general airspace. (When I'm cycling, I only ever wait directly behind electric vehicles. )
    Ha ha Like the last bit

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069862

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.
    Cyclists who overtake cars on the left in traffic are breaking that rule because they are sharing the left-hand lane with those cars. It would be the same as a car overtaking by driving with two wheels on the road and two wheels on the pavement to the left-hand side of the lane of traffic. Unless there is a specific cyclist lane on the bit of road they should be moving with the traffic in the lane rather than trying to squeeze past it on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by MyJo View Post
    Cyclists who overtake cars on the left in traffic are breaking that rule because they are sharing the left-hand lane with those cars. It would be the same as a car overtaking by driving with two wheels on the road and two wheels on the pavement to the left-hand side of the lane of traffic. Unless there is a specific cyclist lane on the bit of road they should be moving with the traffic in the lane rather than trying to squeeze past it on the left.
    This bit is motorway for driving.

Quote Originally Posted by MyJo View Post
    Yip. The problem you have is some cyclist want to do what the hell they want then moan and whinge about drivers when they cut them up... Usually for undertaking.

When I'm out cycling I see myself as a small car and abide by the rules of the road... However whilst the majority of drivers take heed of cyclists there is a minority who ignore them... This is when it becomes dangerous.

First Team Breakthrough bandylegs_jLeighton's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: dmcattack
    As previously mentioned, people parking in the child/parent spaces when they don't have a kid.

I was pointing this out to my other half on our way into Tesco's when we saw two cars pull into these spaces without any kids in sight.

On the way back out a boy racer car came whizzing into the child/parent space nearest the shop. Completely out of character, I pointed at it and in a raised voice said 'NAE KID!'.

As soon as the words left my mouth I realised it sounded like I had just shouted 'NAKED!' and saw this young bemused blonde girl just looking out at me from behind her tinted glass.

You probably had to be there...