hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member hibees 7062's Avatar

Rowan Vine was on 36k a week

NortholtRanger QPR fan

• I live in Basingstoke and one of Rowan's friends is in my powerleague team (5 a side football team)

He's good friends with Rowan Vine (Who is from Basingstoke) and told me that Rowan was on 36k a week at QPR, no reason not to believe this guy. He said it's because when he signed he had a massive bonus clause when QPR got promotion

I didn't want to say anything while he was under contract as it's not right but that's what his friend said

MattyRangers

Don't doubt that for a minute mate. He was bigging up being on 23k a wk when we were in CCC and , as u say, would have had a big old promotion bonus wacked in his contract. In all honesty can't blame him for sitting it out n being paid. If I could be paid 36k a wk to train abit with the ressies n do naff all with my wkends I wouldn't be complaining. Stupid of the club to give out such a contract

Winalot
    36k per week !! Never, half it and you may be close to the actual amount..

Even half that

2. Log in to remove the advert

Birmingham once paid £2.5m which rose to £3m for him. There must have been in a player in there, but certainly not anymore from what we have seen anyway!

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Does it really matter what he was on before. All these snide digs at the guy are not helping.

Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Birmingham once paid £2.5m which rose to £3m for him. There must have been in a player in there, but certainly not anymore from what we have seen anyway!
    Under aw that hair

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Does it really matter what he was on before. All these snide digs at the guy are not helping.
    From me ? Beg to differ

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    This. I hope folks won't get their knickers in a twist when TB gets on with picking the team based on merit. No excuses. Believe in better.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibees 7062 View Post
    From me ? Beg to differ
    Not really directed at you, but what response were you expecting from your op.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Just shows the crazy money down south. If someone like Riordan had been English and starting his career in League 1 instead of the SPL he'd have been signed for £10M earning megabucks. If Vine went for around £2.5 it would not be a ridiculous price...

Not really directed at you, but what response were you expecting from your op.
    Not that type , just found it amazing we had a player on such ridiculous wages . He wont be the only one in the squad

@hibs.net private member
    I think I've seen glimpses of a player there but he has not applied himself nearly enough for me - he needs to be working his tits off to prove himself to us as he's had a very mediocre start to his career at Hibs. Hopefully Butcher can tease that out of him as an icon of his own country who holds work ethic in high regard

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    One of my mates is a big QPR supporter so I`ve always been getting his moans and groans about whats going on at Loftus Road. The money that was getting thrown about there a couple of years ago for a spell was utterly grotesque, and everything that was wrong with modern English football.

I think it will be interesting to see if Terry Butcher can spark Rowan Vine`s Hibs career into life. It has been disappointing so far but a new manager and coach could just see him produce the goods that attracted Pat Fenlon`s interest in the first place.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    One of my mates is a big QPR supporter so I`ve always been getting his moans and groans about whats going on at Loftus Road. The money that was getting thrown about there a couple of years ago for a spell was utterly grotesque, and everything that was wrong with modern English football.

I think it will be interesting to see if Terry Butcher can spark Rowan Vine`s Hibs career into life. It has been disappointing so far but a new manager and coach could just see him produce the goods that attracted Pat Fenlon`s interest in the first place.
    Lets hope so. And if he was earning anything like that at QPR, good luck to him.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Jeez. How the michty have fallen. From 36K per week to not being able to afford razor blades. Poor Laddie.

And well worth every penny!

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    He's actually not half as bad as people make out. Needs a goal, and when it eventually comes along and we actually see abit of confidence installed in him, I think a number of people are actually going to be pretty surprised.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by California-Hibs View Post
    He's actually not half as bad as people make out. Needs a goal, and when it eventually comes along and we actually see abit of confidence installed in him, I think a number of people are actually going to be pretty surprised.

I tell you what I feel sorry for him he is a footballer with ability. He is good with his distribution from out wide and has the ability to be a decent player which has been seen throughout the teams he has played for

He gets unfair criticism it should be he up front before Collins every time in my book I'm yet to see what Collins offers

I don't think he's nearly as bad as people make out either. For a big guy who's not very quick he has quite neat feet. May be he'll be a new Ally Mcleod. Ally was a bit slow to get going with Hibs but once he found his feet he was outstanding...

What?

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    He will never even hit double figures in his career at hibs. But riordan on the other hand. .

@hibs.net private member
    Whatever ability he has is being limited by his lack of confidence. I feel a little sorry for him because his lack of confidence is hiding whatever ability he has. The end result is that I see a scared, limited player and I have no idea how good he could be.

Testimonial Due
    Whilst on the subject of wage thieves:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...eo-130000-week

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    Quote Originally Posted by cocteautwin View Post
    Whilst on the subject of wage thieves:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...eo-130000-week
    Why does that make him a wage thief? I agree its an obscene amount of money, but not uncommon for that level of football (a Champions League winning manager!) and especially for a club like Chelsea. Abramovich couldnt wait to sack him, so Di Matteo is entitled to every bit of compensation he is owed in my eyes.

As for Vine, that is quite a lot of money based on what Ive seen so far, but he did have a fairly good reputation during his QPR days. Im not sure how common that wage would have been for a Championship player back then though (obviously its become more common as the money invested in English football has began to move down the leagues)?

There must be a player in there if clubs have splashed out that amount of coin on him. In fairness I've saw a few glimpses I do stress the word glimpses.

Maybe if he's made all that cash, he's not really that driven to recapture his old form or fitness, who knows!

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by California-Hibs View Post
    He looked lively in spells at home against Malmö and "scored" a cracker which was unfortunately offside but thems the breaks. Clean slate although dredging up bygone days will surely help. Jesus wept. If we as a support cannot move forward how the hell do we expect the players?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Left by mutual consent! Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Lets be honest, if you were on 36k a week and now on 2k a week would u bother trying :-))

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nailrod View Post
    I don't think he's nearly as bad as people make out either. For a big guy who's not very quick he has quite neat feet. May be he'll be a new Ally Mcleod. Ally was a bit slow to get going with Hibs but once he found his feet he was outstanding...

What?
    Ah but Ally could play and one of the most two footed players ever to grace ER. Once saw him take a free kick about 22 yards from goal. Bang - Goal. Straight into right hand side. Ref ordered it retaken so Ally just put it into the opposite side. Genius. Also met him a few times and was a really nice guy and good company.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fife-Hibee View Post
    Lets be honest, if you were on 36k a week and now on 2k a week would u bother trying :-))
    If he doesn't try, he's on his way to Sunday amateurs and £0 per week.

Mind you, blowing oot yer erse can make it look like you're trying in Sunday amateurs.

I'm willing to give every player another chance now that Big Terry is in place, Vine included. There's very few players in that squad who, based on their history, shouldn't be able to step it up.

I reckon that a few of them - Collins, Vine, Heffernan, Craig and more - have been hamstrung in doing their jobs by the way we were set up to play by the previous regime.

Quote Originally Posted by Fife-Hibee View Post
    If I couldn't be bothered trying i'd retire.

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    I'm willing to give every player another chance now that Big Terry is in place, Vine included. There's very few players in that squad who, based on their history, shouldn't be able to step it up.

I reckon that a few of them - Collins, Vine, Heffernan, Craig and more - have been hamstrung in doing their jobs by the way we were set up to play by the previous regime.
    100%

johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!
    He signed a 4.5 year deal with QPR at a time when they had just been taken over by some of the richest people in the world. Fair play to him and his agent. Hope he managed to save some cash.