hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar

Stand up and be counted 2

I wonder if its time for this again, a new start for everyone, fans team and management?

I remember when Mowbray came in at the start of SUABC 1, the fans did their part and the team responded.

Different team i suppose, and a different manager but the sentiments the same. A clean slate for everyone, and a chance for us all to try as one to make this great club challenge again.

What do you think?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    I think SUABC1 started when Williamson was in charge, though I may be wrong.

Could work again, either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think SUABC1 started when Williamson was in charge, though I may be wrong.

Could work again, either way.
    Christ time fly's, if it started with Williamson it really took off with Mowbray imo.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    While I think SUABC was a good initiative, what will be far more effective in increasing crowds is:

1. Win games.
    2. Play good football.

No doubt SUABC was a positive influence the first time round, but the main reasons for the big crowds in the Mowbray era were the results and the football. Not all the results, obviously, but enough.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Anything is a worth a try that make a positive impact. If it doesn't work, try something else. Experiment with initiatives that might improve attendances, morale and performances.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    What sort of thing did it involve the first time round?

I was only about 15 at the time and all I can really remember about it is the SUABC t-shirts

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I wonder if its time for this again, a new start for everyone, fans team and management?

I remember when Mowbray came in at the start of SUABC 1, the fans did their part and the team responded.

Different team i suppose, and a different manager but the sentiments the same. A clean slate for everyone, and a chance for us all to try as one to make this great club challenge again.

What do you think?
    Yesssssssssssss. Maybe I could hand out this bag of Stand Up And Be Counted metal badges I've had in a drawer for yonks
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Yesssssssssssss. Maybe I could hand out this bag of Stand Up And Be Counted metal badges I've had in a drawer for yonks
    Just keep them and throw them at the players once the mood turns again.

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    The main thing is to get some positivity about the place again. Give all the players a clean slate and judge them on what they do under Butcher as im pretty confident any players that arent giving their all or arent living up to expectations will get nowhere near the team with him in charge.

Things got quite ugly between the fans and the team at the end of Fenlons reign and that needs a line drawn under it.

Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    Why do you think I've had them for so long?
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by MyJo View Post
    The main thing is to get some positivity about the place again. Give all the players a clean slate and judge them on what they do under Butcher as im pretty confident any players that arent giving their all or arent living up to expectations will get nowhere near the team with him in charge.

Things got quite ugly between the fans and the team at the end of Fenlons reign and that needs a line drawn under it.
    This. 100%
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member

What do you think?
    I think a lot of us have continued to stand up and be counted even of late…

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I think a lot of us have continued to stand up and be counted even of late…
    I knew there would be one.

Problem is that over the past few years people have stopped coming to ER on a regular basis ( me included) and found something else to do on a Saturday afternoon
    The big question is how to persuade these same people to start coming back .
    Personally I don't think that a few good results will make a great difference to our attendances - it will take time
    A good few people I know said why fork out X pounds to watch rubbish and have drifted away and are watching rugby /doing things with the family etc
    As in any part of the entertainment business once you l;ose fans it is difficult to get them back .
    I will not return regularly on the basis of a couple of wins - it has happened so often before

Good luck to TB - hopefully he will " deliver "

The only thing that will encourage those 'lost' fans to come back is a SUSTAINED improvement in results and performance. And by sustained I don't mean the first 6 weeks of Butcher's reign-I mean a steady, noticeable improvement between now and the end of the season, which then continues from the start of next season.
    It has to become fun again going to E.R. instead of something to be endured (or avoided).

*I've not stopped going.... But mostly that was just down to sheer bloody mindedness rather than über fan credentials
    Last edited by brianmc; 12-11-2013 at 09:15 PM.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Build it and they will come.FACT.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    The only thing that will encourage those 'lost' fans to come back is a SUSTAINED improvement in results and performance. And by sustained I don't mean the first 6 weeks of Butcher's reign-I mean a steady, noticeable improvement between now and the end of the season, which then continues from the start of next season.
    It has to become fun again going to E.R. instead of something to be endured (or avoided).

That's it for me
    As I said earlier there have been so many " false dawns" in the past few years

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    While i agree with the sentiment, I've kept going, god knows how, but the fans however many have been going have been the only constant in what has been a pretty awful last 6 years or so

this time i feel its the clubs turn to get the fans back, Butcher is a great start, but continual improvement on the playing front will also play a huge part

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdships View Post
    Problem is that over the past few years people have stopped coming to ER on a regular basis ( me included) and found something else to do on a Saturday afternoon
    The big question is how to persuade these same people to start coming back .
    Personally I don't think that a few good results will make a great difference to our attendances - it will take time
    A good few people I know said why fork out X pounds to watch rubbish and have drifted away and are watching rugby /doing things with the family etc
    As in any part of the entertainment business once you l;ose fans it is difficult to get them back .
    I will not return regularly on the basis of a couple of wins - it has happened so often before

Good luck to TB - hopefully he will " deliver "
    I'm not so sure your right about that, I think a few good results with good performances to go with them will entice lots of fans back. If you look at the malmo game and the cup game you see that the fans have not completely abandoned the team. I know these were only one off matches but imo there's plenty fans just looking for a sign that things are getting better, hopefully butcher is the man to make that happen.

Left by mutual consent!
    [QUOTE=brianmc;3806661]The only thing that will encourage those 'lost' fans to come back is a SUSTAINED improvement in results and performance. And by sustained I don't mean the first 6 weeks of Butcher's reign-I mean a steady, noticeable improvement between now and the end of the season, which then continues from the start of next season.

*I've not stopped going.... But mostly that was just down to sheer bloody mindedness rather than über fan credentials[/QUOm
    Meet up with members of my family and my pals, share Hibs stories and have a few pints. The game was the worst part of the day. However TB talks a good game and i have faith in him to deliver. He is the right man at the right time and i can be onwards and upwards for us. We need to get the crowds back and perhaps the board should give lappsed fans an incentive to return. Next home game entry as low as £5/£1 with a half season form given out. As a st holder i would not bother one jot about this deal, in fact i would wecome it as it would help OUR club

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post

The original SUABC was just after the Hibs support had told Rod & co to stuff their move to Straiton with Hearts. They said we could stay put but needed an average 11K to be sustainable at ER. Under the turgid Blob, the response was pretty lukewarm and I think SUABC had been quietly dropped by the time Tony arrived with his virtuous circle.

What do you think?
    Don't often agree with you BH but I think you're spot on here. Would be great to see some old faces back at Easter Road with a chance to put the negativity regarding Hibs and Scottish Football in general into perspective. We all want the same thing for Hibs so this could be an opportunity to really get behind the new manager and the club and drive us on to better things.

Coaching Staff
    It's a fair point though.

Are we just suggesting we stand and be counted when it's easy to do so?

@hibs.net private member

If you want to , just get back watching them regularly , why make a special initiative of it?…. turn up, get behind the team and have the football banter with your mates… the more the merrier..

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    It's a fair point though.

Are we just suggesting we stand and be counted when it's easy to do so?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    If you want to , just get back watching them regularly , why make a special initiative of it?…. turn up, get behind the team and have the football banter with your mates… the more the merrier..
    Nobody has said go when its easy, its about everyone having a clean slate. There's been a huge division between the club and a lot of its support. Me personally and i only speak for myself, i feel as distanced from the club as i have ever felt.

There is no bond i feel at this moment in time, other than i used to go and watch Hibs. I would imagine those who have stopped going feel similar, or indeed other feeling, but it was only a suggestion.

The reason i mentioned having a special initiative, was BECAUSE of how folk have felt, and stopped. Perhaps i'm wrong, and the club dont need more folk through the door, or need to try and entice folk back?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Nobody has said go when its easy, its about everyone having a clean slate. There's been a huge division between the club and a lot of its support. Me personally and i only speak for myself, i feel as distanced from the club as i have ever felt.

There is no bond i feel at this moment in time, other than i used to go and watch Hibs. I would imagine those who have stopped going feel similar, or indeed other feeling, but it was only a suggestion.

The reason i mentioned having a special initiative, was BECAUSE of how folk have felt, and stopped. Perhaps i'm wrong, and the club dont need more folk through the door, or need to try and entice folk back?
    I think you're onto something. The idea of a clean slate is a good one, the fans have made their disappointment clear and its been heard. The club has made a big move by bringing in TB and his team.

It's time for a fresh start for everyone - even the underperforming players (you know who I mean). Lets support and encourage the team - TB won't need telling who's pulling their weight and who needs to be emptied.

Less than a year ago we were almost top of the league with an excellent home record and the atmosphere inside ER was the most positive it had been for many years . Injuries came along and results suffered though another good cup run and good away performances like those at Tannadice or Kilmarnock ( cup and league ) helped keep positive feel among support . Anything to improve support ( in numbers and atmosphere ) for team is worthwhile but I can`t see why anyone would suddenly want to back the team now more than 3 weeks ago after the Celtic match and the low crowd against ICT would suggest that general apathy towards Scottish football and the economic situation are still so strong that it`ll take much more than a managerial change to boost regular crowds ( I say regular crowds because after a month without a home game and with press coverage Butcher attracts I would expect a high crowd at next home match ) . So another campaign to boost support ? Is there not a marketing team that`s supposed to be doing that all the time ?

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I think we will see a bumper travelling crowd in Paisley for Terry Butcher`s first match in charge, but the key really will be the need to win the following weeks Scottish Cup tie in Dingwall. A combination of a Scottish Cup dream still alive, beating a bogey team in a bogey ground and Terry Butchers first match in charge at Easter Road should see a marked improvement in the numbers coming along.

Campaigns and incentives will never be as effective as Hibs fans leaving Easter Road really enjoying their afternoons football and looking forward to the next game.

Coaching Staff

It shouldn't revolve around liking managers or style of play. You support the team thick and thin or you don't. Why now? Why not when the team needed support earlier in the season?