hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

Is this Hibs' set up at corners? Interesting stuff from Pat Nevin

2. Log in to remove the advert

very interesting...does he do a class on 'how to take throw ins'?...if so, it should be made compulsory viewing at east mains

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: n/A
    We should employ this man in some capacity. Would love to see him helping out.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    "Break with pace" - a stumbling point at present...

i dont over-analyse but from memory I think we do tend to keep folks on the post ?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    As posted earlier I look forward to his how to take throw in's

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

i dont over-analyse but from memory I think we do tend to keep folks on the post ?
    I'd say we've been weak at set pieces in the past so it's not a bad idea to do so. We're not completely defensive though, I remember someone coming to Easter Road recently and having their entire team in the box during set pieces.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

50 seconds...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gyrd...dL5HkD7mwHgEII

I believe we don't. Atleast that's how we lost last week.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    We've been atrocious at throw ins since as far back as mixu. As far back as I can remember paying attention to throw-ins Hibs have been poor from them. And it still continues. It is unbelievable.
    How to have a throw in in the attacking third of your opponents half and lose a goal. Watch Hibs.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Motherwell of course scored against us from a corner at the weekend. There were no players on the posts and no player in the "First man" position either. Everyone was either marking a player (badly in McGivern case) or standing doing nothing. Tom Taiwo was particularly at fault for this as he was stood inside the box 10 yards from anyone else doing absolutely nothing. I've watched that goal about 20 times since watching the Pat Nevin tutorial and it is a brilliant example of how NOT to defend a corner…completely avoidable with a bit of organisation and professionalism.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Ah had watched the game on the Bt sport ap but lost connection around the time of the goal only to return to find us 1-0 down. Hadn't seen that - poor.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    Motherwell of course scored against us from a corner at the weekend. There were no players on the posts and no player in the "First man" position either. Everyone was either marking a player (badly in McGivern case) or standing doing nothing. Tom Taiwo was particularly at fault for this as he was stood inside the box 10 yards from anyone else doing absolutely nothing. I've watched that goal about 20 times since watching the Pat Nevin tutorial and it is a brilliant example of how NOT to defend a corner…completely avoidable with a bit of organisation and professionalism.
    Exactly..very very poor defending and looked like nobody knew what to do, a cheap goal to lose !!!

One thing Fenlon really sorted out to be fair, McManus' goal was the first set peice i can remember the team conceding from for a long time.

That Mcmanus goal was an absolute shocker. No one on the posts and people just standing about clueless, hard to take losing a game like that :(

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    Looking at the replays, you had Lewis Stevenson and Scott Robertson marking 1 player near the front post. It could be argued that, using Pat Nevin's examples, Lewis Stevenson would take the 1st man position and backtrack into the front post area. If you look at the highlights above, the replay from around 1:10 into the video, and again from the angle at 1:24, I think you could see where Hibs could have employed something akin to the tactics suggested. Obviously, as you point out, Hibs either didn't do this intentionally, or did it very badly as it result in the goal. Hopefully something that can be worked on with the new Management team in place.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Taking the Motherwell example, obviously this strategy doesn't work if you don't do the 'other bit', i.e., marking players properly. The idea is to have more players available in to mark attackers and cover space. If your defenders are just going to let people run off them, then the best strategy would be the literal opposite: put everyone on the line.

The move away from having a player on each post grew out of statistical analysis - clubs' data guys found that although you will lose some avoidable goals by not having a player on the post, you prevent more goals overall by having extra bodies further out. Originally it was moving the player from the near post out to the corner of the six-yard box.

The idea of that guy then dropping back onto the post if the ball goes over his head is an interesting one, not something I'd noticed.