hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What we need is an arse kicker.

We have a good squad of decent players that are seriously under performing, including some proven SPL players that have performed reasonably well for other SPL teams.
    We seem to be a free meal ticket to a decent wage and mediocre mid table acceptability.
    We need a hardman that won't accept any crap.

Nope, I can't think of anyone either..........

2. Log in to remove the advert

I've always hard that threatening your staff brings the best out of them.

Collins tried that, didn't work.

I'd settle for a decent manager myself.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    If you want the best out of your players you need to get inside their heads, find out what makes them tick and then motivate them.

Mowbray was the best at this by a mile and the players loved him. He got poor players to be average, average players to be good and good players to be excellent.

I'd be amazed if he even considered us.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: StevenHibs
    I'd say bring in someone like Di Canio, but it would be John Collins all over again We need someone who knows the game, knows how the basics work. Someone with a european background?

I think whoever takes over has a good squad to work with. They don't need hairdryered to perform, just deployed so that they can fulfill their potential. A screamer is not needed.

Aside from the unfortunate fact that there is a lot of managers out there without jobs, I genuinely think there will be a lot of attraction in the Hibs job because of the potential that the squad has. I think we might be pleasantly surprised by some of the folk that put their CVs forward.
    Last edited by Glory Lurker; 01-11-2013 at 09:19 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by madabouthibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We have a good squad of decent players that are seriously under performing, including some proven SPL players that have performed reasonably well for other SPL teams.
    We seem to be a free meal ticket to a decent wage and mediocre mid table acceptability.
    We need a hardman that won't accept any crap.

Nope, I can't think of anyone either..........
    I'd hope the new incumbent has more in his locker than the ability to swing a size 12 at the playing staff.
    Besides, didn't we have one in Yogi?!?

First Team Breakthrough
    Think the days of these types of managers are fading. The unrest at Sunderland under Di Canio shows the bad atmosphere that can possibly arise from having this sort of manager. The manager has to get to know his players and build a strong rapport with them. Ultimately if the players don't get along with the manager you're not going to see the best possible results on the park (ie the end of Collins' tenure).

Going are the days when hothead bosses with god complexes stamp their little authorities on whoever they feel like.
    Do we want Hibs players to be treated like this?

First Team Regular gorgie greens's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibbystew7
    sure everyone would love a Alex Ferguson manager,think Yogi kicked ***** when he was here,id like someone with a football brain who likes to play the ball on the ground ,the way Fenlon had us tear in about Celtic was great or me,i cant stand guys not giving less than 100% and the team gave that against Celtic,i would like O'Neill for me or i would take Butcher,never want Harry Potter in a million years,id rather take Mark Venus than Mowbary,
    Now over to you Petrie,please pick the right one as this has got to be the weakest league for the next year or so and i would love us to be doing something rather than just make up the numbers in the league

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    A manager who knows how to spend his budget properly, and sets a team up thats balanced and entertains a little more than the drivel Fenlon and Calderclown have done will do for starters.

First Team Regular gorgie greens's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibbystew7
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    A manager who knows how to spend his budget properly, and sets a team up thats balanced and entertains a little more than the drivel Fenlon and Calderclown have done will do for starters.
    agree Gary ,the only manager to spend money on a player and look who we got,and a good tip is trying to play guys in there natural position,every week you get people comming on here and saying its not Lewis's fault he's playing out of position,we need to play guys like Zoubir and get some width and Harris on the other side will in my opinion put bums on seats

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    If you want the best out of your players you need to get inside their heads, find out what makes them tick and then motivate them.

Mowbray was the best at this by a mile and the players loved him. He got poor players to be average, average players to be good and good players to be excellent.

I'd be amazed if he even considered us.
    Not the case at Celtic. He isnt a winner, but he is an entertainer.

@hibs.net private member
    What we need is a good manager, one that understands tactics and motivating players, who sets there team out to play football.God knows who that man will be but after watching how Di Canio got on at Sunderland I'm not sure just having a manager who is a disciplinarian is really enough.Of all the criticism I would level at Fenlon I've never felt that his teams are unprofessional or look like their not trying on the pitch.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wotherspiniesta View Post
    I've always hard that threatening your staff brings the best out of them.
    Depends on how the individual reacts. Some folk need a kick up the arse.

I thought Tommy Gemmell had retired years ago.

Only the oldies on here will understand that one!

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Pertrie will appoint a licker long before he will appoint a kicker so it may not be all that easy.

Left by mutual consent!
    Arse kicker=Greame Souness.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    If it wasn't already obvious then you should read the thoughts of Paulo Di Canio's players to see that bullying and shouting at players doesn't work. If we ended up with someone like him or Dundee's John Brown then I think I'd need to sit this one out.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Someone with a strong, winning mentality, certainly. Someone who will nurture a collective pugnacity. We're Scottish football's softest touch. Even the Yams know that regardless of how bad things get for them, Hibs are around to cheer them up. This must change if we're ever to be taken seriously and achieve anything.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermac View Post
    A superb example of a Scottish toe up the hole. The German literally went through the air
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

The only point of an arse kicker is that you clearly want more from the players.

Why not get that by him having their respect through good man management and making them part of a winning team?

We don't need a nutbag - we need someone who can get the decent (by SPFL standards) squad we have playing proper, attacking passing football.

That John Collins interview someone posted where he was berating coaches for not following what they were taught sums it up:

When your keeper has the ball you have possession. Why do you want to lump it forward into an, at best 50/50 chance of retaining the ball?

Why are our defenders pinging 50 yard balls forward when we latch on to maybe 1 in 40 or 50?

i want a manager in who understands pass and move football where you find another Hibs player with a shortish pass and then move in to space.

It's not hard and we can play a good brand of it with the guys we have properly managed.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Good managers play players to their strengths.
    Simples.
    Bad managers do the opposite.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    The thing is that these days players have a much bigger influence than they did. They can get out easily if they don't like the treatment they are getting off the manager.

We don't need an arse-kicker, we need someone who can inspire us as fans, who can motivate and instil passion and self belief in his players, and who can organise a team to play the right way.

@hibs.net private member
    Motivating players may include arse kicking.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven_Hibs View Post
    I'd say bring in someone like Di Canio, but it would be John Collins all over again We need someone who knows the game, knows how the basics work. Someone with a european background?
    Why would you want a fascist at Hibernian? Di Canio has caused bedlam at every club he has been at. He is the last person I would want at Hibs

@hibs.net private member Gerard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Why would you want a fascist at Hibernian? Di Canio has caused bedlam at every club he has been at. He is the last person I would want at Hibs
    I would accept a communist if it makes Hibs a better team. The manger's political opinion is his or hers private business.

The days of the arse kicker are gone.

What we need is a manager with a strong personality who knows how to set up a decent team who know when to attack and how to defend.

These days a manager needs respect, not fear.

Who that guy is goodness knows ... Butcher could be the man.