hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes

Which players would you keep?

I had this conversation yesterday with a mate after watching Hibs all year since the Malmo game, finally a full Pat Fenlon selected and settled side. The only players for me that are good enough currently:

Paul Heffernan
    Scott Robertson
    Liam Craig
    Kevin Thomson
    Ben Williams
    Abdellah Zoubir ( lots of potential there )
    Alex Harris

James Collins should be doing better than he is, i'd keep him around.

I knew that Rowan Vine wasn't great but I didn't expect him to be as woeful as he has been, terrible terrible first touch.

We are back to needing almost a whole new team, which is the exact position we were in last year and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that. I have nothing against the players that didn't make my wee list but from watching them this season( and last where applicable) they just don't seem to cut it.

This is based on our regulars I am not including the youngsters just pushing through they all still have time to develop in to decent players.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had this conversation yesterday with a mate after watching Hibs all year since the Malmo game, finally a full Pat Fenlon selected and settled side. The only players for me that are good enough currently:

Paul Heffernan
    Scott Robertson
    Liam Craig
    Kevin Thomson
    Ben Williams
    Alex Harris

I knew that Rowan Vine wasn't great but I didn't expect him to be as woeful as he has been, terrible terrible first touch.

We are back to needing almost a whole new team, which is the exact position we were in last year and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that. I have nothing against the players that didn't make my wee list but from watching them this season( and last where applicable) they just don't seem to cut it.

This is based on our regulars I am not including the youngsters just pushing through they all still have time to develop in to decent players.
    This is getting silly now.

The squad is strong. We're not getting the best we can from them. The buck for that stops with the manager. I'd keep them all.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

Paul Heffernan
    Scott Robertson
    Liam Craig
    Kevin Thomson
    Ben Williams
    Alex Harris

No chance! On paper I was pretty pleased with the squad that Fenlon has put together, we have some very decent players who have shown in glimpses what they can do. No need to empty half of the squad just need a Manager that can get the best out of them.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    No chance! On paper I was pretty pleased with the squad that Fenlon has put together, we have some very decent players who have shown in glimpses what they can do. No need to empty half of the squad just need a Manager that can get the best out of them.
    No often I agree with you but IMO you're on the money here. One or two I'd move on but our biggest problems dinnae lie with the squad of players we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Desperate Dan View Post
    No often I agree with you but IMO you're on the money here. One or two I'd move on but our biggest problems dinnae lie with the squad of players we have.
    Thank you I'm honoured.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    The squad is strong. We're not getting the best we can from them. The buck for that stops with the manager. I'd keep them all.
    I agree. We're not signing loanees from the likes of Coventry and Norwich reserves any more. We have players on proper contracts who have proven themselves at other SPL clubs. So it's crystal clear that Fenlon is the problem, not the squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Utter nonsense. 6 decent players at best. Rest absolutely woeful.
    I cant believe the mediocrity that some Hibs fans accept nowadays. From Petrie all the way down.

Top 4 squad? Dont make laugh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SkintHibby View Post
    I cant believe the mediocrity that some Hibs fans accept nowadays. From Petrie all the way down.

Bollix. 2nd best squad in the league.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: StevenHibs
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Lol, barring a few, most of them wouldn't get a game up the park. 2nd best in the bottom six more like.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Hahahahahhhaaahha!

You should book yourself into the fringe next year. Thats a cracker!

Not so much who I'd keep more who I want to get rid off, I'll start with Vine, OTJ, McPake( back gone ), Clancy (treatment table). Nelson should be here only as cover nothing else but would prefer to see Forster as cover and bring in a proven CH. Until we give Collins the right service, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

There is nothing wrong with the squad. A half decent manager will get more out every one of them.
    Mind you, McPake and Clancy need moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by SkintHibby View Post

Easy to criticise the squad and their abilities when the going gets tough! The fact remains that Fenlon has assembled a squad that on paper looks pretty decent and had most Hibees happy with his signings. These same players have not turned into woeful players overnight, the manager however has had considerably longer.

Quote Originally Posted by jc1 View Post
    Not so much who I'd keep more who I want to get rid off, I'll start with Vine, OTJ, McPake( back gone ), Clancy (treatment table). Nelson should be here only as cover nothing else but would prefer to see Forster as cover and bring in a proven CH. Until we give Collins the right service, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
    Why? He's made a difference to the defence and was sorely missed on Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    There is nothing wrong with the squad. A half decent manager will get more out every one of them.
    Mind you, McPake and Clancy need moved on.
    This! Bang on. and if we can get rid of Vine i would to. Shocking that he gets that no.9 shirt.

Left by mutual consent!
    I actually think the squad is ok and it is widely by Hibs fans, non-Hibs fans and the media thought to be a decent squad.

A better manager would get more out of it. In fact the current manager would probably get more out of it if he played players in their more natural positions. Eg. Robertson, Thomson and Craig would all be better as a central three. Christ, I even think Rowan Vine would be better wide in a front three than through the middle.

Saying we have the second best squad in the league is a bit wide of the mark I would say though. Aberdeen have a better squad than us for starters. Motherwell, ICT, St Johnstone and Dundee United could all lay claim to being just as good.

Said in a thread earlier in the week, my own immediate pressing issues would be change the manager, sign a right back, sign a quality centre half to play alongside Nelson who is decent in his own way but not quality, bring in someone who can offer a wee bit of pace and trickery out wide (that may be Zoubir or the returning Harris) and play them on a week to week basis.

I'd move Clancy and McPake on. I'll reserve judgement on Taiwo and OTJ though having liked Taiwo, I'm going off him and if we try a switch to a three man midfield I'm not sure if there is a place for them. Maybe keep them for the squad.

I would persevere with James Collins just now. He maybe needs benched as if we went three up front Heff would get the nod as the central striker for now. Think Zoubir, Harris, Handling and even Vine could play wide in a front three. Worth a try.

I don't get why people think we have a strong squad when its fairly obvious we have very little pace, very little creativity, not much in the way of width and we don't even have a right back. Doesn't seem much of a squad to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Why? He's made a difference to the defence and was sorely missed on Wednesday.
    Yes but still not the answer is he, ponderously slow and unable to pass the ball to a colleague, we need a proper decent quick CH to dominate and has decent ball skills.

Quote Originally Posted by jc1 View Post
    Yes but still not the answer is he, ponderously slow and unable to pass the ball to a colleague, we need a proper decent quick CH to dominate and has decent ball skills.
    If only Hibs could get players in every position that are complete footballers we would be laughing. As it is it's never going to happen so if we have to settle for a no nonsense defender who defends then so be it.

@hibs.net private member
    Williams
    McGivern
    Nelson
    Hanlon
    Craig
    Robertson
    Thomson
    Zoubir
    Harris
    Stanton
    Handling
    Collins
    Heffernan

We have a good squad of players, that midfield is outstanding and definitely showed it until we got a total sucker-punch on Wed. The problem is not the quality of our players, its the fragile nature of the squad in the sense that as soon as that goal hit, the heads went down and our game changed (9/10 games we would have had us 2-0 up by the point of the hearts goal). That IMO lies in the management structure of the club, if this squad could gain the fighting nature that the yams seem to have, we would be brilliant.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: yekim evol
    Not got an issue with the squad, bar vine tbh. My issue is the way that the squad is being utilised, I feel that fenlon has vastly improved the squad and dealt with many of the issues that was present at the club.

However I feel that he has reached the peek of were he can take the club and that it is time for him to move on. Now we need a mowbray esque manager to take us to the next step, i.e. fenlon can possibly scape top 6 and get to semis/ But I don't feel he can get us winners medals and to the league euro places.

Wink

Paul Heffernan
    Scott Robertson
    Liam Craig
    Kevin Thomson
    Ben Williams
    Alex Harris

Can't say I agree with this. I would say that Fenlon has assembled a pretty good squad, i just don't think he has the tactical nous to get the best out of them. I would like to see us play much more attacking as i feel we have the players to do it. This would be my team.

GK: Williams
    LB: McGivern
    CB: Hanlon
    CB Nelson
    RB: Clancy
    RCM: Robertson
    CM: Thonmpson
    LCM: Craig
    RW: Harris
    ST: Heffernan
    LW: Zoubir

I would give Craig a licence to support the front three, i have thompson playing a more defensive role to support the back 4, with Robertson playing a box to box midfielder role, as from what I've seen, he seems to have excellent stamina. Think Nelson has probably been one of our better signings, and would say that he has really helped Hanlon. My only concern would be Clancy at RB. But the January transfer window can fix that.

Rant Over.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jasmith1875 View Post
    Can't say I agree with this. I would say that Fenlon has assembled a pretty good squad, i just don't think he has the tactical nous to get the best out of them. I would like to see us play much more attacking as i feel we have the players to do it. This would be my team.

CB Nelson

I would give Craig a licence to support the front three, i have thompson playing a more defensive role to support the back 4, with Robertson playing a box to box midfielder role, as from what I've seen, he seems to have excellent stamina. Think Nelson has probably been one of our better signings, and would say that he has really helped Hanlon. My only concern would be Clancy at RB. But the January transfer window can fix that.

Rant Over.
    Is this some Icelandic guy we've signed?

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    I think the new man will need to be given 2 to 3 years to build his own team and then another couple of years for the new players to settle. Then we will get rid and start again.

Keep 'em all. Simples.

This is really getting stupid now. I'm sure if you asked fans of the 9 other SPL teams apart from Aberdeen and celtic they would all take the squad that we have right now

First Team Breakthrough
    I don't think its a bad squad and the likes of Tudor-Jones, Vine & Collins were as we keep getting told, good players last season at their former clubs. I was right when I said we'd miss Nelson.

Fenlon has got in some decent signings, improved us with the players he went for but was tactically naive and this lead to his downfall in the big games.

Clancy and McPake are perhaps the only 2 I'd try to move on but only if we've replacements in those positions as otherwise, they're useful squad players.

Another mass clear out is not what we need - we don't want yet another 'period of transition.'

The brief should be to find a guy who wants to work with the existing squad and get more out of them, certainly in the first instance.

If the chance comes to bring in more pace, width and creativity then we should go for it, but it should be tinkering rather than wholesale changes.

But I'm hoping that fringe players like Cairney, Caldwell and Foster, who've all shown something, force their way back into the reckoning.

Quote Originally Posted by jasmith1875 View Post

CB Nelson

Rant Over.
    This is word for word exactly what I think.