hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Negativity in our club

I am happy to leave myself wide open here, so feel free to fire away. It's what Hibs supporters do best anyway.

I have followed Hibs since........well, the start of time, as far as I'm concerned - probably about 33 years (I'm 38 now)

All I can remember in that time is a negative, inferiority complex, particularly when it comes to our friends from across the city. I watched every single game in that long run without a win (was it 26?? I try to forget), until Big Geebsie slammed in at the far post at Tynecastle. I watched our fans dance on the pitch in pure joy at full time. I thought that was going to be a turning point, like many at the game that day - it wasn't.

What I have felt in my life as a Hibby is this sad negative atmosphere around the place. Yes Hearts have had the upper hand over the last few decades, probably boasting better squads than us in that time, but I wonder how much of this has been self inflicted. I haven't seen Hibs put in a better 30 minutes of an Edinburgh derby in years than we did tonight, I thought we were absolutely brilliant in this period tonight. And our supporters were amazing too. But then the sucker punch goal. We probably all felt it was going to come, we were playing the ****bos after all, right? And let's face it, this happens in football regularly. What saddens me is the supporters reaction from this point onwards.

We had a half chance after that, and then it was the usual from us. As soon on our OUR players made a mistake, the fans were on their backs. We're all used to this, right? The same morons do this if a Hibs player makes a mistake after 30 seconds in any given match, well at home anyway.

And then to hear booing with nearly 30 minutes to go - bloody hell, do these people want to support Hibs or the other team? This must have been music to the Yams supporters/players/management teams ears. Yes we should have done better, Yes we should have created more chances after the Hearts goal, yes Craig should have scored or squared it for the equaliser, but can you moronic "Hibs supporters" who are all doom and gloom not realise that what you transmit from the stands, has a direct effect on our players?

Hearts are ****. We all know that. Yet they have beaten us twice out of 2 this season, scoring 2 to our nil. Is this down to better players? No. Is this down to better management - No. (Don't start slagging Fenlon please, this is not down to him. Is this down to better supporters? Well, not exactly, but could this be down to the difference between positivity and negativity within the two clubs? I firmly believe that's a yes.

We as Hibs supporters have to give ourselves an effin shake here. How many off you feared the worse after fat Stevensons goal tonight? How many of you really believed we would score that equaliser and go on to win? (I mean truly believed, not just hoped). Our negative energy is transmitting from the supporters to the players to the dug out, and if you don't believe me, then you are on another planet.

Supporting Hibs doesn't just mean turning up and cheering when it's nil nil or Hibs are in front - it means' supporting the team when the chips are down. Hibs fans just don't do that.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Agree with some (after reading in full) of what you are saying, but it's the same old story time and time again. This is why it's the way it is!
    Last edited by kdhibees1; 30-10-2013 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanzahibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am happy to leave myself wide open here, so feel free to fire away. It's what Hibs supporters do best anyway.

I have followed Hibs since........well, the start of time, as far as I'm concerned - probably about 33 years (I'm 38 now)

All I can remember in that time is a negative, inferiority complex, particularly when it comes to our friends from across the city. I watched every single game in that long run without a win (was it 26?? I try to forget), until Big Geebsie slammed in at the far post at Tynecastle. I watched our fans dance on the pitch in pure joy at full time. I thought that was going to be a turning point, like many at the game that day - it wasn't.

What I have felt in my life as a Hibby is this sad negative atmosphere around the place. Yes Hearts have had the upper hand over the last few decades, probably boasting better squads than us in that time, but I wonder how much of this has been self inflicted. I haven't seen Hibs put in a better 30 minutes of an Edinburgh derby in years than we did tonight, I thought we were absolutely brilliant in this period tonight. And our supporters were amazing too. But then the sucker punch goal. We probably all felt it was going to come, we were playing the ****bos after all, right? And let's face it, this happens in football regularly. What saddens me is the supporters reaction from this point onwards.

We had a half chance after that, and then it was the usual from us. As soon on our OUR players made a mistake, the fans were on their backs. We're all used to this, right? The same morons do this if a Hibs player makes a mistake after 30 seconds in any given match, well at home anyway.

And then to hear booing with nearly 30 minutes to go - bloody hell, do these people want to support Hibs or the other team? This must have been music to the Yams supporters/players/management teams ears. Yes we should have done better, Yes we should have created more chances after the Hearts goal, yes Craig should have scored or squared it for the equaliser, but can you moronic "Hibs supporters" who are all doom and gloom not realise that what you transmit from the stands, has a direct effect on our players?

Hearts are ****. We all know that. Yet they have beaten us twice out of 2 this season, scoring 2 to our nil. Is this down to better players? No. Is this down to better management - No. (Don't start slagging Fenlon please, this is not down to him. Is this down to better supporters? Well, not exactly, but could this be down to the difference between positivity and negativity within the two clubs? I firmly believe that's a yes.

We as Hibs supporters have to give ourselves an effin shake here. How many off you feared the worse after fat Stevensons goal tonight? How many of you really believed we would score that equaliser and go on to win? (I mean truly believed, not just hoped). Our negative energy is transmitting from the supporters to the players to the dug out, and if you don't believe me, then you are on another planet.

Supporting Hibs doesn't just mean turning up and cheering when it's nil nil or Hibs are in front - it means' supporting the team when the chips are down. Hibs fans just don't do that.
    You're last part is rubbish. You say we don't turn up when chips are down. We have been booted in the nuts god knows how many times by them yet look at the turn out tonight. Hibs are lucky folk are still going at all the ***** we have put up with. I hope to god everyone pies the next match if Pat is still here.

Was it the fans fault at 1-5? was it the fans fault at 0-3? was it the fans fault at 0-7? was it the fans fault at the two defeats this season against a schoolboy hearts team? Shafted again.

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    I couldn't disagree more. The fans have been immense. The "negativity" as you put it is as a result of being kicked in the sacks again and again and again.

@hibs.net private member andy1875's Avatar
    The support is in no way to blame for our performances under this current "manager".

Fenlon isn't good enough and is competely out his depth.

End of.

@hibs.net private member
    Oh good, the old blame the fans crap.

The players? Yes The manager? Oh defo. The people that are NOT to blame for that pish are the fans that turn up and pay their money to suffer that embarrassment.

@hibs.net private member hibeerealist's Avatar

dont blame the fans

Absolute ****, their fans would be every bit as negative if they had to put up with what we have for far too many years. For so many hobbies to turn up tonight after fenlons eye bleeding football says so much about us, their lot would never turn out in same circumstances. fenlon is a fud

@hibs.net private member HiBremian's Avatar

Aye, right. Love the amateur psychology.

Wasn't at ER, but as a Hibs TV Xtra season ticket holder I still roll along the same coasters as the fans in the stands, and boy was I willing the team to equalise after that goal. Trouble is, the reaction and tactics from the team was just pure ****. The players chose to play the ball backwards rather than forwards, and I started to react to THEM.

If you really want to do football psychology, take a look at how the soap dodgers react to going a goal down. Their fans call for a reaction - AND THE PLAYERS GENERALLY GIVE IT - so the fans get behind them. Ever since I've supported Hibs (first game 5-5 against Clyde in 1958) I've quietly admired the way Celtc teams use their fans to get back into a game, but the reaction works two ways. The team has to react. We Hibs fans have given our team every chance to react in the same way after a setback, but there comes a time when the lack of a reaction from the team means that enough is enough.

@hibs.net private member the_ginger_hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OP
    but can you moronic "Hibs supporters" who are all doom and gloom not realise that what you transmit from the stands, has a direct effect on our players?
    What?

There was only a few morons inside Easter Road tonight...all in the Home dugout and all in the green on the pitch.

Hibs fans should be commended for STILL sticking by after years of derby failings and a years worth of horror results (1-0 Hearts x2 , 0-7 Malmo, 0-3 SCF). Your fishing for a reaction if you genuinley believe there is some sort of 'overriding negativity' causing the endless pish we have been subjected to.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

What a load of complete and utter pish, the fans are the ones who have stuck by this club when many would have walked away. Imo people like you are the problem, people like you want to blame probably the most loyal fans in the country for our board and managers failing. Shame on you for suggesting otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by kdhibees1 View Post
    Totally agree with what you are saying, but it's the same old story time and time again. This is why it's the way it is!
    Well I'm not putting up with the way it is anymore .
    **** Petrie , **** Fenlon. No more STs for me.

It's not about 1-5. It's not about 0-3. It's not about Fenlon. Can't you people see what is happening??

I said in my post that this has been happening for 30 odd years! Did you miss that bit?

In 33 years I've seen Hibs win the League Cup twice. That's shocking for a club like ours. Is that down to the players/board/various managers? We've spent plenty of money in this time no?

I'm not solely blaming the fans for this. ****, I'm a fan myself. What I'm saying is it's a negativity running deep within our club, and if we don't change it, then nothing will change.

I agree with a lot of this but use of " moronic " won`t go down well and rightly so . Like all the other clubs in our league with possible exception of Celtic we don`t have good let alone great players so can beat or lose to almost every team . I`m not that bothered about our results against Hearts since I don`t know any Hearts fans and would hope our amitions are higher than just getting good results against them .

First Team Breakthrough
    I remember a player saying that the hibs fans are quick to turn on their team. Easter road isn't an intimidating atmosphere. Not saying that was the problem tonight. Pat has to go.

@hibs.net private member
    Sorry mate but this is a terrible post. As others have pointed out the fans have constantly backed the club. Not just in the last fews years but even going back to us getting relegated in 98 and still getting huge gates in the first division.

We honestly must be one of the worst treated set of fans in the country based on our support for the team and the success we get on the park as a result. Success maybe isn't even the right word, its not just winning games but how we go out playing our game and what we give back (or fail to give back) to the supporters in that way.

We're dire right now and can barely muster a shot on target against halfway decent SPL teams. I paid for myself and my girlfriend to go along against Aberdeen and that was £44 gone to watch a team that doesn't/can't attack and doesn't seem concerned about offering any kind of entertainment to their supporters. I never thought I'd look back at the days of Bobby Williamson with nostalgia but thats how I feel at the moment.

That is just unacceptable and the fans are at the stage now where I think we have every right to be negative about the team, the manager and the club.

The economy is in the tank at the moment, decent jobs are hard to come by, wages are stagnant and with loads of high quality football available on TV these days the club has to do more than just rely on loyalty to keep its supporters. Folk always talk about Petrie being a businessman. Well his current business model is broken and unsustainable.

I'm getting to the stage where I cant justify spending money that should be going towards a flat or a car on going to ER every 2nd week to watch us fail to muster a shot at goal.
    Last edited by neil7908; 30-10-2013 at 08:57 PM.

I will bite - I think your a yam on the wind up.

The fans are the last one who should be blamed in all of this - quite the opposite - the way they back the team in their numbers!

Completely disagree. We should be beating a very poor Hearts team at home. End of. This is the worst Hearts team I have seen since I've followed Hibs. The way the players froze after the Hearts goal was shocking. I expect a team filled with hunger & desire, and we didn't get that, and I have had enough.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenStar View Post
    I will bite - I think your a yam on the wind up.

The fans are the last one who should be blamed in all of this - quite the opposite - the way they back the team in their numbers!
    I don't think you understand the post tbh. There could have been 20,000 of us there tonight, but it's how you support the team that matters.

We all feel negative as Hibs supporters, as there is a feeling of under achieving for many many years as a club. In my 30 years as a Hibby, I have seen many hundreds of players come and go. Many managers, assistants, chairmen, physios etc come and go. But one thing has remained constant - the fans in the stadium. And we are the ones who have had to suffer the poor performances. I am not putting all the blame on the fans. What I am saying is that there is a negative feeling within the club, and we can change this. Get behind the team when the chips are down.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by the_ginger_hibee View Post
    What?

There was only a few morons inside Easter Road tonight...all in the Home dugout and all in the green on the pitch.

Hibs fans should be commended for STILL sticking by after years of derby failings and a years worth of horror results (1-0 Hearts x2 , 0-7 Malmo, 0-3 SCF). Your fishing for a reaction if you genuinley believe there is some sort of 'overriding negativity' causing the endless pish we have been subjected to.
    I have supported Hibs all my life and believe me this is Not (by far) the worse team i have seen and im sure some of the more mature posters on here would back me up on this

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    It's not about 1-5. It's not about 0-3. It's not about Fenlon. Can't you people see what is happening??

I said in my post that this has been happening for 30 odd years! Did you miss that bit?

In 33 years I've seen Hibs win the League Cup twice. That's shocking for a club like ours. Is that down to the players/board/various managers? We've spent plenty of money in this time no?

I'm not solely blaming the fans for this. ****, I'm a fan myself. What I'm saying is it's a negativity running deep within our club, and if we don't change it, then nothing will change.
    What negativety arw you talking about then. When I go to the football I'm generally upbeat about the day ahead as I'm sure most people are. Its the pish on the park that drags most of us down, then to make matters worse I have to listen to idiots like you blaiming me for all the clubs problems. You are so far out of touch its unbelievable.

I agree with alot of what the OP says. The atmosphere tonight was poisonous. We might not have an intimidating atmosphere for away teams but our own players must be ****ting themselves before every home game. When the booing started tonight it must have been better than a home game for Hearts.

I'd stop short of calling everyone moronic - the team playing brutal football and never winning is obviously plays a massive part, but the atmosphere at ER is ****, there's no denying it.

I spend over a grand on this club every year and if I want to moan at the players I'll ****in moan at them

I don't think you understand the post tbh. There could have been 20,000 of us there tonight, but it's how you support the team that matters.

We all feel negative as Hibs supporters, as there is a feeling of under achieving for many many years as a club. In my 30 years as a Hibby, I have seen many hundreds of players come and go. Many managers, assistants, chairmen, physios etc come and go. But one thing has remained constant - the fans in the stadium. And we are the ones who have had to suffer the poor performances. I am not putting all the blame on the fans. What I am saying is that there is a negative feeling within the club, and we can change this. Get behind the team when the chips are down.
    So did we get all negative when we were 3-0 down against falkirk? Nope. We got right behind them and they responded for a change.

I think the team gets excellent support from the fans and we deserve better. I'd happily take dogs abuse for £2-3k a week, not to mention the privilege of pulling on the jersey.

We have a board of directors with no drive or ambition dare I say no pride in anything Hibernian, it's been the case for far too long. As long as the support accepts the sh!!te being dished up and keep on attending games nothing will change!

Managerial appointments suit their agenda, negative and bland, unimaginative and always the cheap or easy option. The manager is the most important position at any football club, it's about time Hibs board employed someone tried, trusted and recognised within the game instead of the constant appointment of untried no-marks that we've suffered for so long.
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    We have a board of directors with no drive or ambition dare I say no pride in anything Hibernian, it's been the case for far too long. As long as the support accepts the sh!!te being dished up and keep on attending games nothing will change!

Managerial appointments suit their agenda, negative and bland, unimaginative and always the cheap or easy option. The manager is the most important position at any football club, it's about time Hibs board employed someone tried, trusted and recognised within the game instead of the constant appointment of untried no-marks that we've suffered for so long.
    Let's go for Bobby Williamson then, shall we?

Mind you, I guess with your thinking you wouldn't want someone like Tony Mowbray who was untried, no? No idea............

Can't agree with any of this - we've turned up with remarkable positivity to a cup final against hearts when we had a terrible team and against a Celtic team who were really pretty good. To games against Malmo and tonight when we were behind the team for much of it but it's easy to lose patience - is it the fans who continually pass sideways and back and get a nosebleed past halfway - they're being guided and coached to play this way and it is not working.

Turning up and paying a fee - either by ST or ticket is a start to supporting your team.

All clubs have a negative element - are we just supposed to sit back and accept the crap we have been given over the last 2 years..2 years too long.

The fans / supporters like section 43 - are the only good thing about Hibs right now - the players / manager / lack of vision from the board are a disgrace.

Your doing a pretty good wind up job if your trying

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    You're right about the part about it being self inflicted.

We're self defeatests. We beat ourselves more than any opposition team do. We create our own short comings. We put all the pressure on ourselves. We turn up knowing that it's just not going to be our day.

It's depressing. It's a dark place to be in. And it's where we've been for quite some time, with only the odd glimmer of light here and there.

Let's go for Bobby Williamson then, shall we?

Mind you, I guess with your thinking you wouldn't want someone like Tony Mowbray who was untried, no? No idea............
    Mowbray was a lucky appointment, a young untried manager who inherited the best group of youngsters Scottish football has seen for some time.

While he had us playing decent football, Mowbray showed no loyalty to Hibs or his players and jumped ship at the first offer, his attentions had been distracted well before he left and performances on the pitch were starting to reflect this. He hasn't set the heather on fire with any of his subsequent clubs since, no coincidence.
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw.