hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Who paid their poppy debt

I'm loving the fact they're being all high and mighty about someone having settled the poppy debt when it came to light, while simultaneously forgetting that (a) they owed it for months in the first place and (b) they shafted their own charity for £34k that they're still conveniently sweeping under the carpet.

Charity thieves
    Last edited by Part/Time Supporter; 28-10-2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: +yams

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member iainm1875's Avatar

Poppies

Got mine today, paid for it up front to avoid any misunderstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Good for you

Quote Originally Posted by iainm1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Got mine today, paid for it up front to avoid any misunderstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Could we perhaps leave the poppies out of the Yam bashing? Heaven knows we've got enough other things to laugh at them for at the moment without indulging in this somewhat tasteless one upmanship about what is - after all - a way of showing respect to the war dead of all conflicts since WWI.

I just took one from Tesco earlier and promised i'd donate a pound at some point.

What i'll do though is offer 1p in about 6 months and deal with losing 15 points of my Clubcard and having to buy own brand beans rather than Heinz for a year.

Seems a fair punishment to me.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Off the bar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post

Could we perhaps leave the poppies out of the Yam bashing? Heaven knows we've got enough other things to laugh at them for at the moment without indulging in this somewhat tasteless one upmanship about what is - after all - a way of showing respect to the war dead of all conflicts since WWI.
    100% this.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney McGrew View Post
    I'm loving the fact they're being all high and mighty about someone having settled the poppy debt when it came to light, while simultaneously forgetting that (a) they owed it for months in the first place and (b) they shafted their own charity for £34k that they're still conveniently sweeping under the carpet.

Charity thieves
    I heard it was Sir Tom that paid the poppy charity for them. Out of his own pocket.

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    I heard it was Sir Tom that paid the poppy charity for them. Out of his own pocket.
    If I was STF I would have absolutely have made a point of doing that

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar

Heard that too, different source than yours but just as credible I reckon

From what I heard he was happy to do it on the quiet. It's STF's style I suppose.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post

Heard that too, different source than yours but just as credible I reckon

From what I heard he was happy to do it on the quiet. It's STF's style I suppose.
    I don't think many people were told about this - as you say he wanted it kept quiet but surely this is news that should be out there?

He deserves the credit - they certainly don't.

Well done STF.

Who paid their poppy debt

I have been away for the weekend and saw a post saying Sir Tom Farmer had paid their Poppy Fund, was this just a Hoax as I have had a great time winding them up, cant find any reference to this but hope to god its true, any help? Now lets all get to ER for Wednesday, we will bounce back after Saturday Mon the Hibs

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Think we could get a big flag of a poppy made up that says "paid for in full" in time for the derby?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Well, it wasn't Heart of Midlothian Football Club.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibercelona View Post
    Think we could get a big flag of a poppy made up that says "paid for in full" in time for the derby?
    Remembrance point scoring: crass, distasteful and definitely not hibs class. We should leave that nonsense to them imo.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Irrelevant distraction and little to be gained from knowing the answer. There's a game to be won stuff outside of that can wait IMO. [grumpy mode tonight sorry]
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    Irrelevant distraction and little to be gained from knowing the answer. There's a game to be won stuff outside of that can wait IMO. [grumpy mode tonight sorry]
    I agree but when arguing with them they have no shame in their actions and this would be a belter if STF paid their debt, was only trying to see if any truth in this so I could shut them up..... but agree its irrelevant, only point scoring but I have been on the wrong end of it for years

Quote Originally Posted by jakeshibs View Post
    I agree but when arguing with them they have no shame in their actions and this would be a belter if STF paid their debt, was only trying to see if any truth in this so I could shut them up..... but agree its irrelevant, only point scoring but I have been on the wrong end of it for years
    If they have no shame then the only consequence of trying to shame them is going to be lowering ourselves to their level.

Quote Originally Posted by South Sub View Post
    Remembrance point scoring: crass, distasteful and definitely not hibs class. We should leave that nonsense to them imo.
    It's just a harmless joke. They deserve a bit of stick for it considering their supposed special relationship with the poppy appeal.

It's just a harmless joke. They deserve a bit of stick for it considering their supposed special relationship with the poppy appeal.
    Really? Harmless? So people who see the poppy as a symbol of the memory of lost relatives will be laughing along I suppose?Crass as ****. Leave them to it without dragging hibs down to their level.

Really? Harmless? So people who see the poppy as a symbol of the memory of lost relatives will be laughing along I suppose?Crass as ****. Leave them to it without dragging hibs down to their level.
    Get a grip.

It's not exactly laughing in the faces of people with lost relatives. You'd have to be somebody looking to be offended in order to be offended by something like this.

Unfortunatly, theres people out there who will look to take offense at absolutely anything, just to cause a fuss over nothing.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeshibs View Post
    I have been away for the weekend and saw a post saying Sir Tom Farmer had paid their Poppy Fund, was this just a Hoax as I have had a great time winding them up, cant find any reference to this but hope to god its true, any help? Now lets all get to ER for Wednesday, we will bounce back after Saturday Mon the Hibs
    I'm led to believe it was Sir Tom.

I'm led to believe it was Sir Tom.
    thank you that is what I heard, only trying to find out if any truth

You'd have to be somebody looking to be offended in order to be offended by something like this.

Even by your staggeringly idiotic standards, that's a belter.

Even by your staggeringly idiotic standards, that's a belter.
    There's a difference between being genuinely offended by something and looking to be offended by something that clearly has no intentions of being offensive.

Clearly you don't understand the difference. So we'll just leave it at that.

There's a difference between being genuinely offended by something and looking to be offended by something that clearly has no intentions of being offensive.

Clearly you don't understand the difference. So we'll just leave it at that.
    once again:

There are some things that shouldn't be brought into football rivalry imo. Just because you don't wish to offend doesn't mean you won't do so when you start bringing such a sensitive issue into things; I'd say that's ignorance on your part. FWIW I'm not offended by the thought of poppy related banners being brought to the derby but I'm aware that others will be and the thought of what the media could and would make of that when broadcast on national tv leaves me quite depressed tbh.
    Last edited by Mr White; 27-10-2013 at 10:11 PM.

Did Hearts fans have a whip round to pay the rest of the charities they bumped?

First Team Breakthrough Nelly070's Avatar
    once again:

There are some things that shouldn't be brought into football rivalry imo. Just because you don't wish to offend doesn't mean you won't do so when you start bringing such a sensitive issue into things; I'd say that's ignorance on your part. FWIW I'm not offended by the thought of poppy related banners being brought to the derby but I'm aware that others will be and the thought of what the media could and would make of that when broadcast on national tv leaves me quite depressed tbh.
    I believe there has already been a 20ft banner produced for Wednesday night as I know the guy who had been asked to screen print it.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelly070 View Post
    I believe there has already been a 20ft banner produced for Wednesday night as I know the guy who had been asked to screen print it.

good, that should suffice (imo), personally not looking forward to listening to songs re: poppies

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    There's a difference between respecting the sacrifices made by many and criticising the Jambos for their poppy-pinching.

The only people I'm offending with my opinions on the subject are the Jambos. If anyone else wants to show mock outrage at it then bash on, I'll struggle to give a toss.

They DELIBERATELY decided not to pay for their poppies whilst also shafting McCraes Batallion Trust. That's deplorable and it deserves mentioning every single time possible. More so when they flumps rejoice about being debt-free and glorify the shafting of others.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"