hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

First round of fixtures nearly done

This is usually a point where many people feel the first real appraisal of a seson can be done. If we beat aberdeen at home on Saturday, I think we can say we have had a pretty decent first round. If results go our way, this is how the table could look come the end of the weekend:-

Celtic - 26
    Inverness CT - 19
    Motherwell - 19
    Hibernian - 18
    Aberdeen - 17
    St Johnstone - 15
    Dundee Utd - 13
    Partick Thistle - 13
    Ross County - 13
    St Mirren - 11
    Kilmarnock - 9
    Hearts - -7

That would leave 5 teams all tucked tightly in together with another three not too far back and the two below them miles ahead of the Yams at the bottom. Would look very good indeed. If results don't go our way:-

Celtic - 23
    Inverness CT - 22
    Motherwell - 22
    Aberdeen - 20
    Dundee Utd - 16
    Partick Thistle - 16
    Hibernian - 15
    St Johnstone - 12
    Ross County - 10
    St Mirren - 8
    Kilmarnock - 6
    Hearts - -4

Not looking so good.

Why do Aberdeen games at home always seem to be big pivotal games? Last season we sort of lost our way a bit after we lost a game at ER v them which had been heavily billed as a big game. That said, they lost their way too not long after that.

2. Log in to remove the advert

If the first happens I think that will be a very decent start to the season trowing in the quarters of the cup aswell.

Mind on the flip side the other table and going out the cup next week would put a very different complexion on this.

very big week or so ahead

Maybe you should do this review AFTER the Sheep game. So far, it involves a bit of speculation.

In fact, maybe after the game against Hearts next week would be a better idea. First round of fixtures past and we'll also know if Hibs are still in the Cup.

I really, really hope we beat Aberdeen. Barring the cup match last year they have had so many breaks at ER in recent seasons. I also can't understand why the media has got quite so excited about what is basically a reasonably decent start by them. Judging by the way Hibs and Aberdeen have been spoken about you would think we are fighting relegation while they are gunning for Celtic.

Most games are huge games, and as said just now its about staying near the top, don't want to be falling behind, but Saturday again is one of those games where a win will lift the whole club, right before a derby too. Can't wait for it, bring on Saturday!!

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe you should do this review AFTER the Sheep game. So far, it involves a bit of speculation.

In fact, maybe after the game against Hearts next week would be a better idea. First round of fixtures past and we'll also know if Hibs are still in the Cup.
    I think it was interesting to raise the point now. I really highlights just how tight the league is at the moment, not just for us. I think the team should see what both tables look like to hammer home how important the averse game is.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    I think it was interesting to raise the point now. I really highlights just how tight the league is at the moment, not just for us. I think the team should see what both tables look like to hammer home how important the averse game is.
    That was why I posted the two tables. It was just to point out how different a weekend's worth of results could make the table look going one way or the other and the different complection it puts on things.

One table was all the results going Hibs way and the other all the results going against us. The reality is the table will probably be somewhere inbetween the two come the end of the weekend. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter as nothing is won or lost by the end of October.

Question Report Card after first round of games complete

That's us now completed the first full round of league games, played everyone once each.

Played Won Drew Lost F A
    11 4 3 4 9 11

What's the Report Card for the team so far?
    Last edited by Keith_M; 26-10-2013 at 04:36 PM.

@hibs.net private member Sprouleflyer's Avatar
    Played off the park in most games, lucky in a few and deserved the points against St Mirren. We are about 10 points better off than we should be.

Wasnt there
    Try a bit fishing
    Fenlon must go

I think it's pretty much as a lot of people imagined.

Heading for a mid-table finish. Very low goal scoring shows the kind of play the team are either set out for or decide for themselves (according to your point of view).

On the plus side, have yet to be really humped by anybody.

@hibs.net private member
    If the opposition get the first goal then thats basically us finished. That for me is one of the biggest issues. We just really struggle as a team to get forward and create anything (the St Mirren game being the exception) and if we go a goal behind we are utterly clueless about how to turn the game.

At the Moment I'd give Fenlon a C-. Not good enough and even a win in mid-week should not be really seen as a big deal given how bad this Hearts team are. I know its a derby but we should be going out and really hammering them. We might we but it'll be by the odd goal.

Mid table mediocrity at best.

But it's progress so whoopy ****ing doo.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Horrible eye bleeding most games with the odd win.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    If the opposition get the first goal then thats basically us finished. That for me is one of the biggest issues. We just really struggle as a team to get forward and create anything (the St Mirren game being the exception) and if we go a goal behind we are utterly clueless about how to turn the game.

At the Moment I'd give Fenlon a C-. Not good enough and even a win in mid-week should not be really seen as a big deal given how bad this Hearts team are. I know its a derby but we should be going out and really hammering them. We might we but it'll be by the odd goal.
    I could have sworn we came from behind to win away at killie and st Johnstone

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Totally average and boring to watch.

Promising signs and hopeful for the future.

However, not scoring enough goals and need to become more of an attacking threat.

Epic fail. for Fenlon - please.

Tell you what tho if he's still here come Jan (and I have no reason to suspect he won't) Then he'll be given more funds in the Jan transfer window.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    Promising signs and hopeful for the future.

However, not scoring enough goals and need to become more of an attacking threat.
    Not sure what the promising signs are when you say that we are not scoring enough goals and need to become more of an attacking threat. I thought that the was the whole point of football was to score goals and attack

@hibs.net private member
    Team improving but still should be doing better. I'd give Hibs a C but PF a D.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    I could have sworn we came from behind to win away at killie and st Johnstone
    And to draw with united, so 7 of our 15 points have been gained after losing the first goal.

@hibs.net private member
    After a poor and pedestrian start to the season there have been some good away performances resulting in 3 of those 4 wins. Fenlon has set us up to be stuffy and has largely succeeded and this works well away - and at home against teams like Celtic who will come and attack at ER - but the majority of performances at home have been dour and uninspiring.

Dour and uninspiring would keep Hibs fans reluctantly happy if it resulted in a steady stream of wins, but that has not been the case with the home record only including 2 performances to be relished - against St Mirren and Celtic. Against that there's been home defeats against two teams we should REALLY be looking to compete with in the league this term - Motherwell and Aberdeen - as well as a desperately dull and insipid 0-0 vs Ross County (just when the **** are we ever going to beat them BTW ).

Away from home it gets better and just as well or the Jambos would be dreaming about catching us rather than Killie, St Mirren and Partick. As stated above, Fenlon seems to have set us up to be a stuffy team who can soak up pressure and hit on the break. While at home this has lead to a dearth of creativity, it has yielded 3 wins on the road - 2 of which came thanks to good performances while we could thank Partick Thistle's profligacy for the other one. At ICT we simply weren't at the races, and at Tynie this time round with the Merricks fielding a virtual youth team, the resulting defeat - throwing away as it did a 4 game undefeated run against THEM - cannot be categorised as anything other than pish poor!

In Fenlon's favour he's had very little luck on the injury front with Cairney and Harris's absence in particular being hard felt and probably contributing to the unadventurous style we've witnessed so far this season.

Overall, (and I'm restricting this analysis to the league and putting European misadventures to the side) considering where we are compared to where we should be aspiring to be (ie European qualification through league placing) I'd give Fenlon a C minus so far - 50% - has shown some promise but MUST DO BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Tell you what tho if he's still here come Jan (and I have no reason to suspect he won't) Then he'll be given more funds in the Jan transfer window.
    Is that a good thing?

Quote Originally Posted by SkintHibby View Post
    Is that a good thing?
    Sorry no it's not a good thing. Didn't finish what I wanted to say and now forgotten. Der!

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Sorry no it's not a good thing. Didn't finish what I wanted to say and now forgotten. Der!

The drugs don't work!

Poor. Lacking in ambition.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    The drugs don't work!
    Wibble!

Average at best (in a very poor league minus Rangers and with a reserve Hearts team).

Severe lack of pace and unentertaining (is that a word?!) at home.

Difficult to be enthusiastic about Hibs if I'm really honest.......