hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar

Who were the founder members of the Hibs list?

Imagine not having a Hibs forum.

Imagine knowing there's Hibees out in the Internet but don't know who or how to connect?

I think I just tried googling and chanced upon the Hibs list would have been around 94-95 but it had already been up and running.

Anyone know the origins and founder members. Stu Crowther, Charlie Mccartan (resident poet); Colin (iirc was based in the Artic) Donno if it was him but there was also a dud in lonely Saskatchewan, Fred in Oz (who sparked the idea for the question as I saw him post on Melbourne Hibs). Andrea Favilli (sp.) Italian Hibs whom I met in Rome.

From small acorns...
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Imagine knowing there's Hibees out in the Internet but don't know who or how to connect?

I think I just tried googling and chanced upon the Hibs list would have been around 94-95 but it had already been up and running.

Anyone know the origins and founder members. Stu Crowther, Charlie Mccartan (resident poet); Colin (iirc was based in the Artic) Donno if it was him but there was also a dud in lonely Saskatchewan, Fred in Oz (who sparked the idea for the question as I saw him post on Melbourne Hibs). Andrea Favilli (sp.) Italian Hibs whom I met in Rome.

From small acorns...
    It was Colin MacPherson who was in Saskatchewan but later moved to San Diego. I met Colin in San Diego in 1977 along with John 'Hate the Huns'. I haven't seen Colin since but John was here for the past two cup finals. Other around at the time included Simon Wallace, Brian Russell, Geoff from Aberdeen (now in Australia).

Thanks for the reminder of some of the "old boys". I'd forgotten (how could I?) about John 'HTTH' but he was kind enough to offer to meet up with a mate of mine - who happened to be of a Rangers persuasion - who was having trouble settling into life (Orange county of course!). A measure of the man. It wasn't needed in the end but the gesture was appreciated.

Its been a bit of a journey.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post

From small acorns...
    You wouldn't have googled anything in 94-95 ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    You wouldn't have googled anything in 94-95 ;-)
    Daftie me - Good ol Mosiac/Altavista!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheBull1875
    Think it was around 93 I joined Erin web. Don't remember Hibs list though. Mike from Malaysia was around, Ian from Alaska too. Altavista was indeed the best search engine EVER!!!!!! :-)

Left by mutual consent!
    Just prior to Colin starting the email group we had a email distribution list of around 40 as I recall. The Hibs list email group is still going despite everything and is by far the oldest Hibs online resource.

Quote Originally Posted by hibs0666 View Post
    Just prior to Colin starting the email group we had a email distribution list of around 40 as I recall. The Hibs list email group is still going despite everything and is by far the oldest Hibs online resource.
    Ill need to see if i can dig out my old old old emails a yahoo group was set up....

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Some great names from the past there...remember when I found the Hibs list...was like finding a while new world.

Started at just a few emails a day and soon grew and grew. Didn't do my career at the Jon I was in much good as I ended up just reading Hibs list emails!

Who would have thought then that something as slick as .net would exist where you could read multiple forums on your mobile anytime, anywhere. Amazing how far things have moved.

Gggrrrrrrr! my old yahoo email address was "recycled" :(

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    It was Colin MacPherson who was in Saskatchewan but later moved to San Diego. I met Colin in San Diego in 1977 along with John 'Hate the Huns'. I haven't seen Colin since but John was here for the past two cup finals. Other around at the time included Simon Wallace, Brian Russell, Geoff from Aberdeen (now in Australia).
    Think that would have been 1997 rather than 1977 John

I was on or around the Hibs list from April 1995 (the time that the Cyberia internet cafe opened on Hanover Street) and then got my own e-mail address in February 1996 when I started working there, at which point I became a regular contributor to the hibs-list.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    Think that would have been 1997 rather than 1977 John
    You are correct James. Just after the meeting with Colin MacPherson and John HTH, we drove up from Los Angeles to San Francisco. I spent forever trying to find a paper with the results of the first match of the season. I eventually found an edition of Scotland on Sunday with a report on the 2-1 Hibs-Celtic match with goals by Lee Power and Chic Charnley. The season ended with Celtic champions and Hibs relegated.

Other characters I recall are Ian Murray, who used to run the sports bookshop on Gilmour Place and Frank Gedrich who worked for the German Consular Service.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Apuleius View Post
    Think it was around 93 I joined Erin web. Don't remember Hibs list though. Mike from Malaysia was around, Ian from Alaska too. Altavista was indeed the best search engine EVER!!!!!! :-)
    In the very early days of reporting at matches, I was sitting in Cappielow in December offering my commentary down a mobile phone line to Stuart Crowther. Stu converted my ramblings to text updates, including when I said I was freezing. A few short minutes later, Ian responded ..... "you're freezing????"
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    In the very early days of reporting at matches, I was sitting in Cappielow in December offering my commentary down a mobile phone line to Stuart Crowther. Stu converted my ramblings to text updates, including when I said I was freezing. A few short minutes later, Ian responded ..... "you're freezing????"

Ah, those text commentaries were the days, John! Remember avidly following them.

What a brave new world it seemed then.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown