hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough Jonny1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Jonny1875

Hibs and Ireland

I'm simply looking for some answers to questions and some information, i do not want this thread to turn into anything its not meant to be such as Hibs Irishness etc.

I started supporting Hibs when i was 4 or 5 simply due to our strip as i loved it, i never based my support on religion or nationality and my dad is not a fan of Scottish football and has never been a part-time Celtic or Rangers fan like many are so i was not pushed in any direction.

Now that I have got all that out of the way i can ask what i want to know, 'was their a period in Hibs history or is there a faction in Hibs support that are anti-Irish?'

I am simply asking this due to some serious googling in the past week, i have come across many Celtic fans accusing us of being "soup-takers" "worse than huns" and Hibs fans boring the Irish national anthem at the Scottish cup final? But on the other hand i have come across Rangers and Hearts fans saying we are almost as bad as Celtic? Im also wondering about the badge changes which contained nothing of the original harp or erin go bragh till the latest change just over 10 years ago.

Thanks GGTTH

2. Log in to remove the advert

I've never heard any anti-Irish comments from a Hibs fan in my life. up until the mid-seventies, many used to sing some of the "tamer" rebel songs, but this died off eventually after some of the atrocities, be it in mainland uk or indeed Irish soil. some Celtic fans may like to assoiate us with everything anti-celtic . the thing about us being anti-celtic is more to do with the facts, from history when they stole our players, and from more recent times when they "enticed" a lot of our players to make the short journey to East Glasgow. most of my friends(Hibs folk) are definitely not anti-irish and lots of them have family history of Ireland, we also have great friends and marriage relatives in Eire and the North, many of which are keen fans of Hibernian. a friend's wife,Dublin born actually despises Celtic and hates the fact that they sing the Irish anthem in English! most of them probably don't even know the first line,in Irish Gaelic.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've never heard any anti-Irish comments from a Hibs fan in my life. up until the mid-seventies, many used to sing some of the "tamer" rebel songs, but this died off eventually after some of the atrocities, be it in mainland uk or indeed Irish soil. some Celtic fans may like to assoiate us with everything anti-celtic . the thing about us being anti-celtic is more to do with the facts, from history when they stole our players, and from more recent times when they "enticed" a lot of our players to make the short journey to East Glasgow. most of my friends(Hibs folk) are definitely not anti-irish and lots of them have family history of Ireland, we also have great friends and marriage relatives in Eire and the North, many of which are keen fans of Hibernian. a friend's wife,Dublin born actually despises Celtic and hates the fact that they sing the Irish anthem in English! most of them probably don't even know the first line,in Irish Gaelic.
    Thanks for that mate, always good to hear from a slightly older im guessing and wiser hibee!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post

Would have loved a productive response,thanks for your insightful opinion.

I cant recall the Irish national anthem being played at the Scottish cup final? Why would it be? If the Celtic fans were singing it, the Hibs fans would have booed in the same way we do when Rangers fans sing God save the Queen etc. I cant remember this at the cup final although i do remember them singing pro Irish rebel songs when trying to compete with our singing

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by GlenrothesHibee View Post
    I cant recall the Irish national anthem being played at the Scottish cup final? Why would it be? If the Celtic fans were singing it, the Hibs fans would have booed in the same way we do when Rangers fans sing God save the Queen etc. I cant remember this at the cup final although i do remember them singing pro Irish rebel songs when trying to compete with our singing
    I seen It on talkceltic probably talking *****.

I don't remember Celtc fans singing at the final....

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny1875 View Post
    Would have loved a productive response,thanks for your insightful opinion.
    Fair enough the cat amongst the pigeons/Can of worms vids weren't working didn't mean to offend but accept a smiley wouldn't have gone a-miss... .

I hadn't heard the term "soup-takers" until I put up a respectful "Dreaming in Green" thread on the Shamrock Rovers forum around the time we were to play Celtic in the SC Final. To be fair I think it was called correctly by the regulars as an OF poster which they were fed up of.

I like to consider myself reasonably culturally aware but that one passed me by - then again perhaps an East Coast upbringing removes you from a lotta that bile...

Since I've been going ('87) I've never heard of an anti-Irish faction. As a club we've embraced diversity and that is in part reflected in the current badge which is diplomacy personified :) not too sure about the origins of the Ball/Crown incantation but change was necessitated due to the unapproved use of the crown. The Duff and Gray era dreamed up the bizarre beer label design and thankfully after the take over STF and co rightly decided a new chapter was in order. So perhaps this move away from the original Harp was perceived as the result of an anti-Irish "faction"?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Seems to have been quite a number of these sort of threads recently. Sniff.

Do we not go through all the national anthems of all the players, staff of the clubs and staff at Hampden and the burger vans outside, all the countries taking the TV pictures and individual supporters?

I dont normally turn up till about 15 minutes before KO so I may have missed it.

Bloody ridiculously thread - I'm away to finish my heinz tomato soup.
    Space to let

What's a soup taker?

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    What's a soup taker?
    I'm not sure, but if it involves taking soup from charities, I think they might have confused us with another Edinburgh club...

What most Celtc (sic) fans object to is the fact that Hibs supporters admit we follow a Scottish club, whilst they're in denial that their club is Scottish as well.

Apparently, if you don't sing Irish rebel songs at games, drape 3,000 tricolours in your stadium and parade the teams onto the pitch with a troop of dancing Leprechauns, it makes you 'anti-irish'.

I'm simply looking for some answers to questions and some information, i do not want this thread to turn into anything its not meant to be such as Hibs Irishness etc.

I started supporting Hibs when i was 4 or 5 simply due to our strip as i loved it, i never based my support on religion or nationality and my dad is not a fan of Scottish football and has never been a part-time Celtic or Rangers fan like many are so i was not pushed in any direction.

Now that I have got all that out of the way i can ask what i want to know, 'was their a period in Hibs history or is there a faction in Hibs support that are anti-Irish?'

I am simply asking this due to some serious googling in the past week, i have come across many Celtic fans accusing us of being "soup-takers" "worse than huns" and Hibs fans boring the Irish national anthem at the Scottish cup final? But on the other hand i have come across Rangers and Hearts fans saying we are almost as bad as Celtic? Im also wondering about the badge changes which contained nothing of the original harp or erin go bragh till the latest change just over 10 years ago.

Thanks GGTTH
    A clue is in your own post, mate.

If drivel were traded on the stock market Celtic fans would all be self-made millionaires and the ones who write such stuff on the internet, billionaires.

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    What's a soup taker?
    Catholics who during the famine etc would take soup from Protestant soup kitchens and be enticed to convert. Throughout history in Ireland and Scotland there has been a lot of this convert for a bowl of soup and some bread "Christian help". Funny comment about us given that we helped many charities to provide food for the poor.

It has always been in celtc interest to put down Hibernian, which has them as the only true paragons of integrity for Irish people in the UK, but the truth is that they are no more quintessentially Irish than the huns are quintessentially British. They portray a very narrow view of Ireland and as we don't fit with their view we in their opinion have somehow betrayed the cause.

Bizarrely I do think there are Hibs fans who don't like Irishness of any kind, but I also know plenty celtc fans who also don't like it and huns who don't like their Protestant nonsense.

Personally I have always loved the connection to Ireland for family and personal reasons. To me it has a certain romance. Singing rebel songs in pubs in Scotland but not actually being prepared to get involved holds no integrity for me at all.

Most of my family are Celtic fans and used to take delight in telling me that,hibs fans would sing Celtic songs and we were there cousins in the east
    I would always point out that it was them who would sing our songs and inform them of the stealing of our players from 1888 and also the theft of our original strip
    Until the birth of the Internet,I was ridiculed and told this was rubbish,now they can't hide from these facts as i send them these historical facts on a regular basis.
    1.they took our players
    2.they took our strip
    3.the one thing they would have loved to take but never could is our name
    HIBERNIAN FOOTBALL CLUB !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    Vinni, thanks for the Soup Takers explanation.

Could I ask you what you meant in the part above about 'getting involved'?
    Too busy getting tanked with buckie before games to bother going to mass...

Gamer IDs

Thanks for all the replys folks as I said some serious googling recently had put me under a slight impression but the souptakers explanation just shows Celtic fans for what they are.

I mind getting back to the pub after beating Celtic (Pat McGinlay scored afaicr) and stopped them qualifying for Europe I think... and within 5 minutes being called dirty orange ******* by Celtic fans along with "you'r supposed to be on our side" ... then "fenian bass" by Rangers fans in the same pub.

Thanks for all the replys folks as I said some serious googling recently had put me under a slight impression but the souptakers explanation just shows Celtic fans for what they are.

Good on you for supporting the correct team. When did you start supporting Hibs?

Gamer IDs

About 2002 when I was 6 and surronded by Celtic fans.

Testimonial Due Capt Mainwaring's Avatar
    look no further than the current Hibs badge to learn all about the 3 components of our history, who we are and what we stand for

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Wouldn't take any notice of anything from Celtic fans mate, a bigger bunch of twonks you'll never meet!

@hibs.net private member

Thanks GGTTH
    I think there may have been a time when our entrepeneur-ish and inspirational off the park leader - Harry Swan - swayed a bit away from the Irish identity in an attempt to be more all inclusive - but anti-Irish??? Don't think so - you hardly go about with a green strip and calling yourself Hibernian FC if you hold some sort of antipathy to the emerald isle do you?!?

First Team Breakthrough superbam's Avatar
    There is some crazy nonsense about hibs perpetuated by celtic fans, it never ceases to amaze me.

Have watched a good few hibs v celtic matches over here with celtic fans in the pub (Galbraith last minute winner was particularly satisfying) - its incredible how the patter can change from nauseating, patronizing brothers in arms ***** when we pose no threat to them to "dirty orange HIV junkie *******s" when we take the lead. Its also pretty entertaining watching Scottish celtic fans come to Dublin and gradually realize that they are not universally worshiped in Ireland.

The most disturbing chat I have heard from them (only on a couple of occasions I should add) is stuff about "hardly any catholics in the hibs support, its mostly protestant" and such like - as an accusation. Questioning the ethnic purity of our support! I know where i have heard that kind of chat before and they dont need to look too far from home. And from a support that sometimes claim to be antifascist...

However, tend to find Irish celtic fans slightly more bearable than the Scottish ones, seem to be able to discuss football with them more often without getting the boak.

Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post
    Wouldn't take any notice of anything from Celtic fans mate, a bigger bunch of twonks you'll never meet!

Never known fans with such a chip on their shoulder.Majority are just phanies

I cant say I've ever noticed any anti Irish element in the Hibs support. There are a few like me who get a bit bent out of shape when we see certain elements trying to push us too far in certain directions. If thats viewed as anti Irish in some quarters ... tough.

I reckon I'm a pretty typical Hibby and for what its worth heres how I view the club and its supporters.

1) Proud of the clubs heritage and they way in which it was born out of poverty and adversity. That appeals to my socialist leanings anyway

2) More than happy with the way the club has managed to marry its Irish roots to its Scottish present. There is no doubt that Hibs are a Scottish football club, but in no way embarrassed by, in fact proud of, where it came from.

3) Most of all. I am delighted with the fact that your average Hibs fan couldnt give a Rats ass what nationality or religion his fellow Hibby is or even if he / she has no religion at all. At kick off time there is no religion and there is only one colour and thats the way it should be.

GGTTH
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 14-10-2013 at 07:36 PM.

Proud of our past, proud of our present and see no reason not to be proud of our future.

Hibs are for everybody.

I was raiser a Catholic and have Irish ancestry, if the guy next to me is Protestant and of English ancestry i couldn't care less.

It will be a cold day in hell before i start worrying about what Celtic fans think about me or Hibs.
    Last edited by Pretty Boy; 14-10-2013 at 08:38 PM.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BOVRIL View Post
    I cant say I've ever noticed any anti Irish element in the Hibs support. There are a few like me who get a bit bent out of shape when we see certain elements trying to push us too far in certain directions. If thats viewed as anti Irish in some quarters ... tough.

I reckon I'm a pretty typical Hibby and for what its worth heres how I view the club and its supporters.

1) Proud of the clubs heritage and they way in which it was born out of poverty and adversity. That appeals to my socialist leanings anyway

2) More than happy with the way the club has managed to marry its Irish roots to its Scottish present. There is no doubt that Hibs are a Scottish football club, but in no way embarrassed by, in fact proud of, where it came from.

3) Most of all. I am delighted with the fact that your average Hibs fan couldnt give a Rats ass what nationality or religion his fellow Hibby is or even if he / she has no religion at all. At kick off time there is no religion and there is only one colour and thats the way it should be.

GGTTH
    Well put.