hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar

How good a manager is Gary Locke?

This is a serious question, - how good a manager is Gary Locke as a manager and how will the experience of managing Hearts this season stand him in stead for his future managerial career?

I`m no aficionado on tactics and what not, but I have wondered if he was to manage to keep Hearts up this season despite the obstacles in their way, which is realistically possible given how poor St Mirren are, could it be the making of him? It goes without saying that I wish him no luck in his quest, but I just wondered if those more knowledgeable about such matters think he is a decent manager in the making or if he really is someone destined for lower league management? (Hopefully with Hearts..)
    Last edited by Part/Time Supporter; 10-10-2013 at 12:12 PM. Reason: +yams

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is a serious question, - how good a manager is Gary Locke as a manager and how will the experience of managing Hearts this season stand him in stead for his future managerial career?

I`m no aficionado on tactics and what not, but I have wondered if he was to manage to keep Hearts up this season despite the obstacles in their way, which is realistically possible given how poor St Mirren are, could it be the making of him? It goes without saying that I wish him no luck in his quest, but I just wondered if those more knowledgeable about such matters think he is a decent manager in the making or if he really is someone destined for lower league management? (Hopefully with Hearts..)
    he is a cheap option and he will fail to keep them up , they might just stick with him tho.

Blog Entries
    No idea about his coaching / managerial ability....but if he manages to do the apparently impossible and polish a turd...then he will have excelled.

Have to say I was impressed with young Hearts (U20's) when they played us recently - both Locke and BB were there although no idea what input / influence they have / had

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    He's the admins uncle Fester, only show in town for the job at the price they could pay at the time, a bit like when the scoured the world for a CL winning manager and came up with some Eastern European no mark hand picked by the dear leader who got carted off to the gulag for wanting to pick his own team.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Testimonial Due
    One things for sure, he's a better manager than McGlynn. I know that's not saying much, but he has less experience at the moment. Still a complete and utter fanny though. Reminds me of yogi when he speaks, doesn't come across as the sharpest tool in the box, must be all that pish he drinks

Ugly man.

Whether he's tactically astute or just a great motivator its difficult to tell but I think more the latter, he's done better than I expected but with such a young/small squad it will unravel as the season goes on, not a dig but the motivational element is the one thing PF lacks.

I think it's the fact that almost all are young players has worked in their favor up till now.
    All running around like headless chickens giving 200 percent.
    Teams should know how to play them now.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    I suggest that his learning curve has been a lot shorter than others.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Dave1875
    I don't think there's much to motivate really there all young guys wanting to make a name for themselves at a club who have been written off as relegation fodder no pressure really and has helped the young guys go out and play how they want too, if say there was no points penalty the big team would be expecting top 4 even with them they'd be toiling under the pressure as would the pee drinker, only a matter off time before the games start running out and the pressure begins to mount then we'll see if he has what it takes....I'm thinking he doesn't

saints win today would be fabulous

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by #FromTheCapital View Post
    One things for sure, he's a better manager than McGlynn. I know that's not saying much, but he has less experience at the moment. Still a complete and utter fanny though. Reminds me of yogi when he speaks, doesn't come across as the sharpest tool in the box, must be all that pish he drinks
    My goldfish is a better manager than Fester but since I can exclusively reveal that it was not approached for the hearts job when they had to appoint a cheaper alternative than Fester I guess it means that Locke could go on to be a better yam manager than my goldfish.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Left by mutual consent!

This is a serious answer....Gary Locke is a grade one knob jockey

I can't stand Locke because of his Hearts connections over the years and all his rantings, but I actually think he is a good manager. It's a hard job he's got at a club with no money and full of youngsters, if, and it is a big if, he manages to keep them up credit where credits due. I still hate Hearts though, and always will, so I'd be really happy if they got relegated.

He could be the first hearts manager in the great history of that most unique institution to guide the team to a points total of less than zero...more realistically he should make it into double figures which might be enough to keep them up depending on whether killie start to pick up points or not...he just needs to keep his team close enough to st.mirren and killie to ensure that they have five cup finals when the split occurs at the end of the season...if he can go into these games with a chance of staving off relegation he will be deemed to have done a good job...still too early to say if he has a long term future in management though.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    He's Pish. Literally.

do they not supply elocution lessons at Heriot Watt?

The hoodied yam could sure do with them. Some of his media talks have been crimeworthy, to say the least.

Gary Locke - missed Hearts 1st trophy in decades due to injury.

Gary Locke - humped off the Hibees at Hampden in a final whilst at Killie.

Gary Locke - Manager of Hearts through default in a season when they are relegated.

Gary Locke - Loser.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    He'll be sinking pints of matured pish tonight to block out the memory of today's defeat in the relegation decider.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

Left by mutual consent!
    He is nothing more than a Stevie Frail mark 2.. Already bleating in the press about how things are difficult etc and playing the sympathy card.. He will be long gone when the next sniff of a job comes up , ( if it ever does )

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Interesting comments by Scott Robinson to BAnderson today...

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.co...ions-1-3130899

“I thought I started the season pretty well,” Robinson told the Evening News. “The two home games against Hibs and Aberdeen were good games and I thought I played well at Ross County. I put my hand up and admit that last week [against Dundee United] I wasn’t in the game at all. I made a few errors and it was one of those days for me. I was really poor in that game.

On Saturday there, I think it was a case of ‘I’ll just pick on him again and take him off’. I didn’t think I was the poorest out of the midfield four. It’s just been me on the day. Obviously, my confidence is really low now again. It’s just the case that, if things are going wrong, I probably know that it will be me coming off. That’s just the way it is. I just need to hope things are going well for the team or I’ll be first to come off.
    Another issue irking Robinson is Hearts’ style of play, for he feels they are best suited to a possession game and is not a fan of the more direct approach taken against St Mirren on Saturday.

“St Mirren did a good job on the day and fully deserved their three points. I thought we did well in the first ten or 15 minutes, but apart from that we just never showed up at all.

“They have done a good job on us, but we’ve really got to be braver and just try to play football. We were playing percentages at times and that’s not going to be good enough to pick up points and get us out of the situation we’re in. We could build up our play a bit more instead of just going longer into channels and just hoping for throw-ins and stuff. Fair enough, that can get you up the pitch at times, but it’s not going to work for the whole game.

“As I’ve said before, I think we’re a better team if we do pass it and move it. Going in behind isn’t a bad ball, but to do that all the time makes it like pinball. In centre midfield, you’re just playing for second balls and it’s a bit scrappy. It’s not great, to be honest.

“I think Jim Goodwin won nearly every ball that came into his area and we played right into his hands. The ball was dropping into Paul McGowan’s feet and I think we were too deep at the back. Who do you put the blame on? Are we not tight enough to McGowan? Is the defence not pushing up enough? I just feel we had to regroup and look a different tactics.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Part/Time Supporter View Post

Proud

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Very proud of Robinson right now. I'm howling here.

Left by mutual consent!
    I think he's great.

From a Hibs perspective.

It's about time the been started analyzing how god awful her is for the yams.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot

Robinson is a wee fave of #allisbarry, wonder how this 'exclusive' came about ? Currently only three comments on story, once their Mums/carers have read it too them fancy it could become a right laugh.

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    The Golden Shower has his say:

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.co...nson-1-3130892

“Scott is like that, he’s that type of boy,” Locke told the Evening News. “He does get a bit emotional and he does react in certain ways at times. On Saturday, I just felt we needed to change things at half-time. If I feel we need to change things and it works, then great. If it doesn’t work, then as a manager you take responsibility.

“It was just one of those things. We weren’t playing that great for 25 minutes before half-time and I felt we needed to go with another striker. That was the reason I changed it and obviously you have to sacrifice players. Unfortunately, this time it was Scott.

“I look at the games as open-minded as I can and, if I feel we need to change one or two things, that’s what I do. It’s a long, hard season ahead. We’ve got players who are going to play games, players who are going to come off in games. It’s very much everybody is in it together.”

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot
    Missed the bit at the end PTS.

"I’ve been delighted with the way the boys have really taken to the training, team selection and what we’re trying to do. That will remain the same for the rest of the season.
    Here's hoping.

This is a serious question, - how good a manager is Gary Locke
    Gary Locke could be called many things, a manager though, is not one of them.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Couldn't believe that interview, hilarious! Can't recall a player slagging off the manager as much. If they drop him because of it then that's a shame as he's absolute gash.

@hibs.net private member hibees 7062's Avatar
    Another issue irking Robinson is Hearts’ style of play, for he feels they are best suited to a possession game and is not a fan of the more direct approach taken against St Mirren on Saturday