hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Goalkeeper

Goalkeeper

Seen the goals from yesterday,Williams was shocking for the first two goals-Do we need a experienced back up goalie to give him competition,maybe he has it too easy??? would have liked us to sign Simonsen before he went to the huns,think it would have made Williams raise his game,as it stands,im not totally convinced.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by hiberactive View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seen the goals from yesterday,Williams was shocking for the first two goals-Do we need a experienced back up goalie to give him competition,maybe he has it too easy??? would have liked us to sign Simonsen before he went to the huns,think it would have made Williams raise his game,as it stands,im not totally convinced.
    This place gets worse and worse.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Ben Williams is by far the best keeper we have had for a long time, we've already been through the scenario of having 3 experienced keepers on the books and look how that turned out. Happy to see him remain in the team.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hiberactive View Post
    he is the best we have had for a long time ( not to hard considering the pish) but some guys on here have him up with leighton and goram no chance he is good but not much better. its about time we started to get a goalie coming through the ranks from the youth set up, think andy mcneil was the last and even he was average.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenArmyyy! View Post

Williams is a decent keeper but is pretty prone to the odd calamitous error every few games, is this due to his concentration or is he getting lackadaisical in his game play, maybe bringing another decent keeper to keep him on his toes would make him better, can't see much wrong with the original post tbh.

Thought that was a fairly balanced op and I've thought the same for a wee while too. O certainly wouldn't drop him any time soon.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Sean Murdoch is there, think he has been around a bit and is by no means a youth player. Williams is the best keeper we have had in years. He's going to make mistakes, what keeper doesn't?

'S' Form
    its been said many times before, a midfielder makes a mistake, a def or fwd picks it up, a def makes a mistake a mid or keeper picks up, if a keeper makes a mistake the opposition scores, everyone will make mistakes, give him a break, he saves more than he lets in.

Agree that Williams is the best goalie we've had for a while. However, we were talking about this on the way down the road yesterday and all agreed that he is too comfortable in his position. Yep, all goalies make mistakes but Williams knows he's going to be playing week in week out regardless.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    Sean Murdoch is there, think he has been around a bit and is by no means a youth player. Williams is the best keeper we have had in years. He's going to make mistakes, what keeper doesn't?
    Cant remember Goram making many mistakes tbh.
    Agree that Williams is the best we have had in years , by a country mile .

Ggtth

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Agree that Williams is the best goalie we've had for a while. However, we were talking about this on the way down the road yesterday and all agreed that he is too comfortable in his position. Yep, all goalies make mistakes but Williams knows he's going to be playing week in week out regardless.
    That's a great point, no pressure on his position and team captain as well. Don't think Fenlon has too much faith in Murdoch, as he hardly gets a look in at 1st team level. On the reverse where is the ambition from Murdoch. Is he happy to sit for 2 seasons in a row playing very little 1st team football.

PS has he played many games in the SPL/SPFL

Quote Originally Posted by GreenArmyyy! View Post

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    Zoff - no wait ...
    Buffon - no wait ...
    Czech - no wait ...
    Zenga - no wait ...
    Schmeicel - no wait ...
    Leighton - no wait ...
    Goram - no wait ...
    if defence and keepers didn't make mistakes there wouldn't be the game we know...
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    That's a great point, no pressure on his position and team captain as well. Don't think Fenlon has too much faith in Murdoch, as he hardly gets a look in at 1st team level. On the reverse where is the ambition from Murdoch. Is he happy to sit for 2 seasons in a row playing very little 1st team football.

Just had a quick look at Murdoch's stats and he's played just over 100 games by the age of 27. A fair chunk of them for Forfar.

When you even think of pre season I don't recall him getting much of a run. Might be wrong though

Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post

Ggtth
    His punch-outs could be a bit hit and miss - Skol cup semi iirc... Fell nicely to Mickey ;)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post

Ggtth
    Let in a 40 odd yarder against European opposition for Hibs . Can't remember what team though. I'm sure that goal stopped us progressing.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post

Maybe his ambition is to play only for Hibs. But for a broken ankle against Dundee I'd like to think Chris Reid would have got a better crack after waiting patiently for his chance for Hibs works at Heathrow last I heard.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    Let in a 40 odd yarder against European opposition for Hibs . Can't remember what team though. I'm sure that goal stopped us progressing.

FC liege, and no keeper in the history of goalkeeping would have saved it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vHS_aIKHVw

FC Liege? Or Anderlecht memory ain't what it used to be - plus the pear cider taking effect ... (Hic!)

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Just had a quick look at Murdoch's stats and he's played just over 100 games by the age of 27. A fair chunk of them for Forfar.

When you even think of pre season I don't recall him getting much of a run. Might be wrong though
    Thought he night have played against Stranraer through the week. Not much preparation for 1st team action if he's required

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar

Let in?
    It was FC Leige and it was a screamer!

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    Maybe his ambition is to play only for Hibs. But for a broken ankle against Dundee I'd like to think Chris Reid would have got a better crack after waiting patiently for his chance for Hibs works at Heathrow last I heard.
    Chris Reid was bloody awful when he got his chance and fell to pieces.
    A six goal mauling at Motherwell springs to mind.

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Williams has been great for us, but a little competition for the place in the team would only make him even better.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Aye right , a 40 yarder that flew in the top corner that No keeper in the world would have saved .

Ggtth

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Handling View Post
    Chris Reid was bloody awful when he got his chance and fell to pieces.
    A six goal mauling at Motherwell springs to mind.
    He was even worse at juvenile level with Hutchison Vale - he was in the same side as Paul Telfer IIRC and to be honest there were far better players in that side than those pair - however Paul worked his tail off and deserved success through sheer determination to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    Sure I watched Chris Reid playing for Scotland schoolboys against England schoolboys whilst getting Hibs Tattoo in Bill Hoopers.

Anybody any idea what year that was (I'm guessing about '84-'86).

Tat was the old crown and football crest. Changed to the "Belhaven" one not long after if I remember correctly

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Just because people say he needs a challenge to up his game doesn't mean we dispute he's the best we've had for years. That's not what is being said. He did make two howlers on Saturday and I personally think he does need a suitable challenge to make him perform better

Left by mutual consent!
    Maybe Sean should be allowed to come in and Park the (Venga) Bus