hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Desire

Desire

No, not a dodgy website

In his post match interview, Pat bemoaned a lack of desire from his players

In his post match summary, Derek Ferguson said of Hearts "they play with a lot of desire"

Didn't make good listening but strengthened my view that folk saying we'll p!ss all over them in the league cup game are way off target
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

There was and is never a chance we will hump Hearts. It will be a tight game decided by the odd goal.

As for Pats lack of desire comment. Who's at fault for that? If the players don't give 100% effort for the club, their team mates and their manager then Pat is partly to blame for that. The players need to take a look in the mirror as well.

Have to agree with you theres NO way we will p!ss all over them in the cup. We will win but it will be a squeaky 1-0 or 2-1

It makes me boak when Fenlon talks like that about his players.

His job is to recruit players who have the right attitude. His other job is to motivate, to instill passion, to get the team up for a game.

If they don't play with desire he is admitting he is failing as a leader. If Petrie lets him away with statements like these it's yet another sign of how we accept a poor culture at our club. Rod should have Pat in his office DEMANDING more desire
    Last edited by RIP; 28-09-2013 at 06:53 PM.

I also though Pat had got rid of all the bad influences in the dressing room yet he's admitting his players don't show desire in all the games they play.

That suggests there is a few bad influences left.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    This gets right on my tits, Fenlon has the cheek to tell us the team lacked desire. He came to the club and told anyone who'd listen he was changing the culture, and would only bring in players who'd do this.

So this team today lacked desire, this is YOUR team Fenlon, YOUR team lacked desire.

Fenlon, i will tell you what YOUR team lacks, it lacks real quality as ****in usual. And that my friend is completely down to you, thanks to you Pat we will have another complete waste of a season of turgid football with YOUR team.

Bring on the next patsy Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I also though Pat had got rid of all the bad influences in the dressing room yet he's admitting his players don't show desire in all the games they play.

Next we will be told todays result is a direct result of the players going to Rods house.

Quote Originally Posted by Gogs43 View Post

His job is to recruit players who have the right attitude. His other job is to motivate, to instill passion, to get the team up for a game.

If they don't play with desire he is admitting he is failing as a leader. If Petrie lets him away with statements like these it's yet another sign of how we accept a poor culture at our club. Rod should have Pat in his office DEMANDING more desire
    His job up to a point. Hibs apparently have the services of a sports psychologist. All I'll say is there's better out there. I know and have offered his services at mates rates! lol.
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This gets right on my tits, Fenlon has the cheek to tell us the team lacked desire. He came to the club and told anyone who'd listen he was changing the culture, and would only bring in players who'd do this.

So this team today lacked desire, this is YOUR team Fenlon, YOUR team lacked desire.

Fenlon, i will tell you what YOUR team lacks, it lacks real quality as ****in usual. And that my friend is completely down to you, thanks to you Pat we will have another complete waste of a season of turgid football with YOUR team.

I'm just curious - did you play football at any decent level at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Gogs43 View Post

If you are going to send a team into a game with a limited ability to adapt tactically then you sure as hell have them up for the fight. Any manager worth their salt should be good at one or the other? Fenlon is questionable on both counts

@hibs.net private member JollyGreenGiant's Avatar
    Have to agree, just as I thought we had turned the corner, the same problem reoccurs! Didn't think Caley were that great today, but they got stuck in right from the off and chased and harried us all over the pitch!

Our attitude in some games is what gets us beat, and for Fenlon to casually say 'we lacked desire' without admitting that this is his responsibility, really infuriates me!

Coaching Staff
    People are reading too much into it - for me it's just a lazy football cliche. The 'lack of desire' cliche really means, in the real world 'we were p*** today' !

Any footballer, at any level, that runs out a tunnel or changing room not wanting to win or 'show desire', isn't a proper footballer.

Hibs by all accounts were rubbish today - I'd say a wake up call but it's not - we've been sleep walking for 3 years and only ever manage 'consistency' against bottom 6 teams - because we are a bottom 6 club in skill and footballing terms.

It's that simple.

Lewis Stevenson at right back !!! Just gonnae no Pat !!

Zoubir should have been stripped at half time and brought on to show Caley we were there to win. Instead he was true to form and 'cautious' - that's what we have folks, a overly cautious manager, scared to take a game by the scruff.

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    I'm also curious, why is this relevant to what he said?

Semi pro in England, why?

Deleted cos well

When your team are lacking desire, and 1-0 down why wait until 62 minutes before changing things?
    Last edited by blackpoolhibs; 28-09-2013 at 07:40 PM.

Next we will be told todays result is a direct result of the players going to Rods house.
    Totally agree Blackpool. Desire is fine but that alone doesn't win games. We didn't lose today because of bad influences in the dressing room (if that indeed is the case). What the team lacks is pace, width and creativity.

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    People are reading too much into it - for me it's just a lazy football cliche. The 'lack of desire' cliche really means, in the real world 'we were p*** today' !

Any footballer, at any level, that runs out a tunnel or changing room not wanting to win or 'show desire', isn't a proper footballer.

Hibs by all accounts were rubbish today - I'd say a wake up call but it's not - we've been sleep walking for 3 years and only ever manage 'consistency' against bottom 6 teams - because we are a bottom 6 club in skill and footballing terms.

It's that simple.

Lewis Stevenson at right back !!! Just gonnae no Pat !!

Zoubir should have been stripped at half time and brought on to show Caley we were there to win. Instead he was true to form and 'cautious' - that's what we have folks, a overly cautious manager, scared to take a game by the scruff.

My my how fickle the Hibs supporter is these days.
    I went to Inverness today like most on the back of recent results but wary of the old Hibs way of just thinking they had to turn up.

This Inverness team were not top of the league for nothing, they don't have flash players but have players who play to their best ability and chase everything. They didn't give Hibs any time at all on the ball and challenged for every ball whilst we sat back and waited for the ball to come to us.

Fenlon who was being praised last weekend and during the week on here is back to getting pelters from you all. His biggest mistake to me has been to change the defence when it was at last playing well.

i hate to say it but Maybury was doing a good job, i dont know if he is injured or not, but bringing back McGivern and switching Lewis AGAIN has disrupted the rhythm of the team when they were beginning to at last gel together.

As for the desire quote, if any footballer pulling a Hibs jersey over his head has NO desire to win then he shouldn't be in the jersey in the first place!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    No, not a dodgy website

In his post match interview, Pat bemoaned a lack of desire from his players

In his post match summary, Derek Ferguson said of Hearts "they play with a lot of desire"

Didn't make good listening but strengthened my view that folk saying we'll p!ss all over them in the league cup game are way off target
    The bit in bold, I completely agree JB (and I said as much in the "League Cup Draw" thread).

IMHO we are an average side and we aren't that much better than Hearts. Most of the time that we play Hearts they are more up for it than us.

Like yourself, I have been let down too many times by Hibs, especially against Hearts.

That said, I think we may beat them in the cup, but I certainly can't see it being the walk in the park that some people seem to think it will be !

Quote Originally Posted by Stantons Angel View Post
    I went to Inverness today like most on the back of recent results but wary of the old Hibs way of just thinking they had to turn up.

This Inverness team were not top of the league for nothing, they don't have flash players but have players who play to their best ability and chase everything. They didn't give Hibs any time at all on the ball and challenged for every ball whilst we sat back and waited for the ball to come to us.

Fenlon who was being praised last weekend and during the week on here is back to getting pelters from you all. His biggest mistake to me has been to change the defence when it was at last playing well.

i hate to say it but Maybury was doing a good job, i dont know if he is injured or not, but bringing back McGivern and switching Lewis AGAIN has disrupted the rhythm of the team when they were beginning to at last gel together.

As for the desire quote, if any footballer pulling a Hibs jersey over his head has NO desire to win then he shouldn't be in the jersey in the first place!
    Good post Stanton. We are a better defensively when Maybury plays. He organises things, plays to his strengths and knows his limitations.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar

You are right about the defence. When the change was made at half time against Stranraer the defence suddenly looked wide open against a poor 1st div side . It is no coincidence that the defence was all over the place today. For a big guy McGivern is very poor in the air and is constantly caught out of position.

Agree with the defence comments, but we also have no width, and no real creativity.......Heffernan and Collins were feeding off scraps......It was horrific to watch.....
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

It's worse than that. It suggests a culture of cant-be-arsed mediocrity at the club which means even when we sign good players they start playing like average ones.

The margins between success and failure in football are small. The best players don't rely on their reputations but bust a gut to prove why they are the best every single game. We need that attitude.

Being an eternal optimist, I hope Pat was using this comment as a brief summary of his post-match team talk. I would like to think he had made our XI think about the desire shown by the lesser-paid Inverness team to provoke a reaction from our players in the next game.

Pat & HIS players

I'm not surprised by todays result as I think Inverness are a better team, maybe not individuals but as a team they always seem to play as a unit and Hibs under Pat don't do that enough.

Pat said we didn't have the desire and that worries me as every player should have desire. I can accept players not having the ability and giving their all ... What I can not accept is players who have ability and not giving their all

It really annoys me is the way we capitulate every time we lose under Pat .. how many times do we concede 3 or more goals, it's as if once we lose 1 we just accept we will be beaten and let teams score at will.

to me Pat has had enough time to get the players he wants in and they should be giving their all in every game, Terry Butcher & Stuart McCall seem to have their players fighting for the jersey, so Why does Pat not have have the same effect??

Sorry Pat but time for you to go.

I reckon another two years and Pat will have some desire in them.

Absolutely ridiculous thread. Time for Pat to go after losing 1 in 7, no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenArmyyy! View Post
    Absolutely ridiculous thread. Time for Pat to go after losing 1 in 7, no problem.
    Nothing to do with Today, it's what has gone on before.....Our home wins in league under PF sitting at a mere 26%....
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull