hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 72 - 91 - 07

Question 72 - 91 - 07

For those who attended or are old enough to remember our three League Cup successes, which win would you say was the biggest achievement, not necessarily the best result, and which gave you the most satisfaction?

1972 - Our first major trophy since the exploits of the Famous Five.

1991 - Winning the cup following financial hardships and the failed hostile takeover by Wallace Mercer.

2007 - Winning with a young squad of players following a switch of manager mid campaign.

For me it's close between the first two but achievement wise, for everything the club had gone through, the 1991 side just edges it.

In terms of satisfaction it has to be the 1972 success and to see the greatest team I've ever witnessed winning something tangible during an era when their play deserved so much more reward.

If it wasn't for Celtics all conquering 9 in a row side, the Tornadoes team would have emulated the exploits of the Famous Five side some 20 odd years before them.
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw.

2. Log in to remove the advert

i would go with 1991. even the semi was like a cup final win. never forget big keiths header v the huns or him slotting past rhodes in the final. after everything we had just been through i would say that cup win meant the most.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Hadn't turned 1 yet. But 1991 was the most memorable for me.

We not only pulled off the near impossible, we rammed it right up those trumpets while doing so.

I would go with 07 because its the only time I've ever seen Hibs win a bloody cup!

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    without any doubt 72 although we had a very good team at that time, beating a rather good sellick team that still had a couple of players from the Lisbon Lions team (that won the European cup just 5 years earlier) and included players like kenny Dalgleish/Harry Hood/Lou Macari, and of course jinky johnstone, in a national cup final in weegieland was a superb feat

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

If it wasn't for Celtics all conquering 9 in a row side, the Tornadoes team would have emulated the exploits of the Famous Five side some 20 odd years before them.

very much so damn jock steins sellick :(

As I was born in 72 that one came a bit too early for me. 1991 for me as this was the first cup win I had seen....hopefully we wont have to wait as long for another one!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    without any doubt 72 although we had a very good team at that time, beating a rather good sellick team that still had a couple of players from the Lisbon Lions team (that won the European cup just 5 years earlier) and included players like kenny Dalgleish/Harry Hood/Lou Macari, and of course jinky johnstone, in a national cup final in weegieland was a superb feat
    Agree - 1972 - Of the 3 trophies, this was the best performance, our finest ever team and the team we played against was the most difficult of the 3 opponents, plus it was the only final of the 3 that I was at ...

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    91 for me.

72 I was only 5 and can't remember much about anything.

91 especially the SF v the huns was HUGE!

07 watched via the internet from here in France - not the same buzz.

Has to be 1972 for me
    having been old enough to enjoy the " Famous Five " everything was a bit of " after the Lord Mayor's show " in football terms for a number of years

This team gave us all something to really celebrate
    Jim Heriot, John Brownlie, Erich Schaedler, Pat Stanton, Jim Black, John Blackley, Alex Edwards, Jimmy O’Rourke, Alan Gordon, Alex Cropley and Arthur Duncan. The substitute was Johnny Hamilton.

Happy days !!

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Saw the thread title and thought it was the 'vital stats' of the Get Vlad Out lass.

1991 for me.

1st trophy i watched Hibs win and was abgreat acheivement after the events of the previous couple of years.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    72 for me. First time I saw us win anything important and I was there with my Celtic supporting uncle and cousin. Excellent journey home added to the experience ;. As has been mentioned before it was a great team beating another great team in stein's celtic but doing it in style. There was nothing lucky about that win and we witnessed possably the stand out performance of any Hibs player in any game. Pat Stanton was absolute class that day.

07 was pretty special too, first, and so far only, time we won anything when I had both my daughters at the game with me.

Left by mutual consent!
    72 - Not just for beating the 'Soap-Dodgers' but for the style that we played it in ............ pure velvet !!

72 for me but mainly due to the opposition. Also, I think everybody underestimates our achievements winning the Drybrough Cup twice. For a start only the top scorers of both divisions qualified, but twice we beat a strong Rangers team twice in the semi finals in front of almost 30,000 fans, then beat a VERY strong Celtic team at Hampden 5-3 and 1-0. Both half of the Old Firm took these games seriously but people seem to think this tournament was just some pre-season kick about. PS Does anyone else remember seeing the open top 'vehicle' that drove round the pitch with the Cup ahead of a friendly with West Brom I think?

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Can't split 91 and 72. 91 because of what we had just gone through and survived. 72 because we were a fantastic attacking side who were good enough to bounce back after a 6-1 cup final defeat to a very good Celtic side and play them off the pitch. That was still far and away the best hibs side I have ever seen.

Completely agree comments above re Dryburgh cup.

91 for me as it was the first cup i'd seen us win. I'll never forget thr scenes and the amount of Hibbys that where on the street.
    I'd estimate at 400,001

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    Agree - 1972 - Of the 3 trophies, this was the best performance, our finest ever team and the team we played against was the most difficult of the 3 opponents, plus it was the only final of the 3 that I was at ...
    Pat,s finest game. Best Hibs player i have ever seen but that day he was majestic. "Hail King Paddy" screamed the headlines !

First Team Regular howdenthehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribiv1875 View Post
    This! The only time ive seen us gub the smellies in a national cup final.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I was at all 3 finals, and when i was starting to pick one as my favorite, i'd think of something about one of the others and change my mind.

72 was great, we beat a great team and we were a great side ourselves.

91 was great too, just because of the year before.

07 was great, and probably my greatest weekend watching Hibs, as we had a fantastic time on the Saturday night before, and the same again on the Sunday. I obviously remember this one more than the others, but they were all great.

I just can't separate them.

@hibs.net private member Leithenhibby's Avatar
    Being old enough to have attended all 3..
    I find this hard to choose, as each one has it best memories.

72 - as it was our best team since the famous five and Celtic were a strong team at that time.

91 - as many others have said because of the previous year! reduced to tears....

07 - as I had my young sons with me and that meant everything. ....

72 - purely because we beat them in Glasgow, and played some wonderful stuff. I can still see Alan Gordon's shot being cleared off the line to make it 3-0...

2007, it was the only one I was at

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibercelona View Post
    Hadn't turned 1 yet. But 1991 was the most memorable for me.

We not only pulled off the near impossible, we rammed it right up those trumpets while doing so.
    How can you're most memorable be something you're no auld enough tae remember?

Was around 72 but no auld enough tae remember it so it has tae be 91 for me both for the semi against the stickies and the final. Coming just efter the hands off Hibs it was some achievement. Had green and white wig and green and white face paint for the final

Quote Originally Posted by Desperate Dan View Post
    How can you're most memorable be something you're no auld enough tae remember?

Was around 72 but no auld enough tae remember it so it has tae be 91 for me both for the semi against the stickies and the final. Coming just efter the hands off Hibs it was some achievement. Had green and white wig and green and white face paint for the final
    Yer no one eh these clowns, are ye?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Attached Images Attached Images

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFamous1875 View Post
    Yer no one eh these clowns, are ye?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Nah, never had a tea cosy face was totally painted, one half green, one half white, same as the wig but reversed.

They are all special but 07 for me. We hammered a team that many thought would beat us. The performance, the atmosphere and sunshine on Leith at the end was special. Say what you like about John Collins but he knew what it meant to us and you could see what it meant to him. A special day for our club.

Was at 91 and 07 but will have to go with 07. Mainly because I was old enough to celebrate that one more. And the sunshine on leith was very special indeed.

2007 for me as I was there.

Wasn't around for 72 and watched 91 on the telly with my rellies. :-D

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Wasn't there in 72, but it cemented in me the idea of being a Hibby.

Was there in 91, with my Dad, and it was the best day in my Hibby life.

Until 2007, when I was there with my Dad and my 2 boys.

Next time with the grandkids?

Quote Originally Posted by southsider View Post
    Pat,s finest game. Best Hibs player i have ever seen but that day he was majestic. "Hail King Paddy" screamed the headlines !
    I have to go for the 1972 final due to the fact that this must have been the upteenth final between the best two teams of that time.

Anyone not around at that time cant appreciate how good a team Hibs were and Only Celtic could touch them in footballing ability, just superb!

as the poster above says this was "God's" game where he showed just what it meant to be a Hibs supporter and play for your team!