hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No segregation

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar

No segregation

Just back from the Scotland v Belgium. I was in the South Stand, and as well as the corner of the Wedt Stand, the Belgium supporters had the centre section of the South with little or no segregation between both sets of fans. They were mixing with the Scotland fana in the concourse area before, during and after the game.
    Great to see that fans can mingle freely at football matches, although very unusual in our country!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BoltonHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just back from the Scotland v Belgium. I was in the South Stand, and as well as the corner of the Wedt Stand, the Belgium supporters had the centre section of the South with little or no segregation between both sets of fans. They were mixing with the Scotland fana in the concourse area before, during and after the game.
    Great to see that fans can mingle freely at football matches, although very unusual in our country!
    Yes, I was in that area too. Great to see. Clapped and sang through Scotland songs as well as their own.

@hibs.net private member hibee_nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoltonHibee View Post
    Yes, I was in that area too. Great to see. Clapped and sang through Scotland songs as well as their own.
    Waffle
    45 AND RISING

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I am from the generation who knows nothing else other than segregation at games, and to be honest I`m quite happy with that. I don`t see mingling with opposition fans during a game as being more appealing than sharing the range of emotions of 90 minutes of football with your fellow fans and like minded people. Don`t mind it before a game or post match, but during it is not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    I am from the generation who knows nothing else other than segregation at games, and to be honest I`m quite happy with that. I don`t see mingling with opposition fans during a game as being more appealing than sharing the range of emotions of 90 minutes of football with your fellow fans and like minded people. Don`t mind it before a game or post match, but during it is not for me.
    I would actually be put off going to the football if I was mixed in with opposition supporters.

It's not something that's ever likely to be introduced in league football though.

First Team Breakthrough
    I think relations between fans have worsened since segregation. It makes people more tribal.
    From the 1960s, right up to the mid-80s, for example, I would go to Tynie and although there was occasional handbags and banter, nothing much happened. You got problems, but fans were generally self policing. Don't think it would work now, after years of it and bitterness between clubs.

@hibs.net private member hibee_nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    I think relations between fans have worsened since segregation. It makes people more tribal.
    From the 1960s, right up to the mid-80s, for example, I would go to Tynie and although there was occasional handbags and banter, nothing much happened. You got problems, but fans were generally self policing. Don't think it would work now, after years of it and bitterness between clubs.
    That is bollox, in the 70's there was self segregation. The OF used to take over 3 quarters of ER and you fought to keep our bit. It was not all lovey dovey by any stretch of the imagination.
    45 AND RISING

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    My first Hibs game was in 1975 at Tynecastle. In those days there was no segregation at games but Hibs fans would predominantly stand at the McLeod Street end of Tynie. I went to the game with my Brother in law who was a jambo and I was in the Shed with him (bang in the middle of the Hearts end). I was only 8 years old but had my Green and White scarf and tammy on. I can remember before kick off there were Hibs fans who had entered from the Wheatfield Rd turnstiles, who walked past me to get to the McLeod Street end who stopped to shake my hand. I can remember it felt brilliant being the only Hibs fan in the Hearts end that day, but truth be told I only got away with it because I was a kid. To make the day Pat Stanton scored a 97th minute equaliser for the Hibees

Saw this on the TV. Belgium fans dancing past Scotland fans who looked non-plussed, just observing fans enjoying themselves. Amazing to see. We won't see this in the domestic game though. Not in these days.

This is the way forward, football could learn a lot from Rugby here.

Quote Originally Posted by spike220 View Post
    This is the way forward, football could learn a lot from Rugby here.
    Happens in other countries too, particularly Germany, however both 'types' of fans are catered for where there appears to be segregated and non-segregated areas.

Anyone know what this banner is about?

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/...69_634x389.jpg

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I remember the non segregation days when i first started going in the 60s, in the 70s when playing the old firm we'd often dance with each other in the old east terrace, think it was the eightsome reel.

At the turnstiles all the Belgium fans were going in the same turnstile as us, wondered what was going on. Well done to the SFA in allowing this. At 1st I thought, what was going on here, but at half time we were all together and not a sign of trouble

Obsessed with the Hibees son of haggart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    My first Hibs game was in 1975 at Tynecastle. In those days there was no segregation at games but Hibs fans would predominantly stand at the McLeod Street end of Tynie. I went to the game with my Brother in law who was a jambo and I was in the Shed with him (bang in the middle of the Hearts end). I was only 8 years old but had my Green and White scarf and tammy on. I can remember before kick off there were Hibs fans who had entered from the Wheatfield Rd turnstiles, who walked past me to get to the McLeod Street end who stopped to shake my hand. I can remember it felt brilliant being the only Hibs fan in the Hearts end that day, but truth be told I only got away with it because I was a kid. To make the day Pat Stanton scored a 97th minute equaliser for the Hibees

and he was a mile offside

not that I'm bitter or anything

Fans of opposite persuasions standing together? Used to happen all the time. But then people used to have a bad habit of behaving at football matches.
    They went along to see the game & regardless of the outcome at twenty to five[yup, 10 minutes for half time ]they left the ground to have a beer together. None of the stupidity that is[not in every case] the norm nowadays.
    Pity.

I mind years ago when I first started watching Hibs, the old cow shed behind the goals against Celtic was always full of them. Even though it was meant to be segregated. Mind a game we lost 3-0 and when the first went in everyone around me jumped up. I thought I'm I in the wrong end here?!

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ****pile View Post
    Fans of opposite persuasions standing together? Used to happen all the time. But then people used to have a bad habit of behaving at football matches.
    They went along to see the game & regardless of the outcome at twenty to five[yup, 10 minutes for half time ]they left the ground to have a beer together. None of the stupidity that is[not in every case] the norm nowadays.
    Pity.
    You`re painting an idyllic picture of how things used to be in your eyes, but let`s face it, there must have been good reason to introduce segregation in the first place. I don`t think my dad took me certain games in the 70`s like Rangers at Easter Road because there was no segregation.
    Last edited by Carheenlea; 07-09-2013 at 12:29 PM.

We should combine no segregation with allowing people to drink at the football. Get the game back to how it used to be in the good old days.

It wasnt an SFA choice. There was close on 10k fans over for the game. Those without tickets for their end bought up the tickets for our end. Pretty much in the same way the tartan army do for wembley and when we played france and spain.
    For me football is all about tribalism. Take it away and youd take away a chunck of what makes it special. Cant think of anything worse than taking up my seat at ER to find I was surronded by yams or infirm fans.

@hibs.net private member surreyhibbie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by son of haggart View Post

I was there, right behind the goal as well, getting ready to leave..

It was a brilliant goal. And IF it was offside, that made it all the sweeter at the time!

Alcohol IS the answer, but I forget the question...

First Team Breakthrough HibbyRod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by son of haggart View Post

I'm not that persuaded that he was offside! However, I would say that wouldn't I! Genuinely, I don't think he was.

Oh for a Paddy Stanton in our team now!

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyRod View Post
    I'm not that persuaded that he was offside! However, I would say that wouldn't I! Genuinely, I don't think he was.

Oh for a Paddy Stanton in our team now!
    Or just one less Paddy.

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    We should combine no segregation with allowing people to drink at the football. Get the game back to how it used to be in the good old days.
    would be interesting

@hibs.net private member Big90inOz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day View Post
    would be interesting
    Being in Oz my sport interests has turned to Aussie Rules following the Fremantle Dockers. Usual crowd is 35,000 with no segregation at all and despite " good nature" banter I have not seen any trouble. Earlier today I watched a final qualifying game with 96,000 in attendance with no segregation.
    Simple case of self regulation with your own supporters quick to tell you to pull your head in if things get too heated
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence,therefore, is not an act but a habit.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Or just one less Paddy.

The clubs should be opening up mixed family sections now with the long term aim of ditching segregation for good. . We complain about over policing of our game yet we still have a large number of adults who can't control themselves if somebody near them shouts support for another football team.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    The clubs should be opening up mixed family sections now with the long term aim of ditching segregation for good. . We complain about over policing of our game yet we still have a large number of adults who can't control themselves if somebody near them shouts support for another football team.
    Do St Johnstone still have the mixed support family stand behind the goals?

I go to the rugby league and you can stand or sit where you want. You can also drink in the stand while watching the game.

Do I think it will work in football? No. I just think its different at football, no club would risk this even without drink.
    Cougars!!!

Do St Johnstone still have the mixed support family stand behind the goals?
    I don't know.. Aberdeen did this for a while several years when they used to have their kids section sitting with the kids sections from other clubs. That ended when their own equivalent of Hibs kids was ditched.. Given the gaps in all our grounds on match days finding a suitable area shouldn't be a problem.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    I don't know.. Aberdeen did this for a while several years when they used to have their kids section sitting with the kids sections from other clubs. That ended when their own equivalent of Hibs kids was ditched.. Given the gaps in all our grounds on match days finding a suitable area shouldn't be a problem.
    I remember a number of years back sitting in there with Saints fans. Not sure they even open this stand now due to decreasing crowds. Might have a look on my way to the game on Saturday