hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: Do you support the idea of a Safe Standing Area in the Famous Five Lower for 'Ultras'

Voters
313. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I like the idea and I would consider moving there

154 49.20%
  • Yes, I like the idea but I'd probably stay where I am

126 40.26%
  • No, Keep it the way it is (add reason?)

26 8.31%
  • No opinion either way

7 2.24%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Safe Standing Area in Famous Five Lower Poll

It would be good to get a big response to this poll, so we know what kind of support the idea has.

And just as Importantly, is there anyone who currently sits in Famous Five Lower behind the goals who would be unhappy about moving to another area of the ground?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Not just consider...but would.

it would allow better atmosphere and when there is some eejit shouting stuff I don't appreciate...it would be like the old way...just move...when mates come to the odd match...no problem being together (rather than can't / all have to move from ST seat)

just add in some beer and edible nosh and it might be a bit of an antidote for the football

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just for ultras?

Actually, now I come to think about it, what's an ultra?

Could I be one and not know it?
    Section 43 types, those who like flags, singing etc. Call them whatever you like

What about the lower west and lower south too?

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Section 43 types, those who like flags, singing etc. Call them whatever you like
    I like flags and I love singing.

I'm a frickin ultra! Yaay!

Whoda thunk it?

Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    What about the lower west and lower south too?
    Change the question title if you want :aok: I was just trying to see if the principle had a lot of support.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Not for me, but Crystal Palace have an area in their lower section behind the goals (not sure if its standing or not), but what a racket they make for 90 mins

Works for them in Germany. I'd like it. Sadly it'll never happen. Authorities wouldn't be open minded enough to let it or even trial it. And there would be cost involved in adapting the ground for it.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Being serious, I'm in favour of a standing area although I probably wouldn't use it.

The atmosphere would be better and it might be a bit cheaper for season tickets so it could well be full every week.

I think it should be trialled in one area first to determine popularity.

I don't think standing areas would increase overall attendance though, so we couldn't afford too many of them.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Hibs have led the way in the past.
    I have a feeling Hibs will lead the way with this.

Family Section should be lower West.

Famous Five lower should be Supporters Section - Safe standing or not - should be an area where more noise is generated and the East / West will join in as often as possible.

Flags on any empty seats(side blocks) until the section fully grows - move people to the West and make it busier there and the stadium will have a better feel to it.

The only issues are I am more concerned about what's happening on the pitch right now than off it!!!

What happens to Section 43 - as they are doing a good job in the East with the noise currently - at times getting a decent amount of the stand joining in.

Relocating Famous 5 ST holders who may have been there for a while.

This is a test of supply

Should it not be a test of demand?

My family group have been standing in the East for years. Why do we need a second standing area?

More importantly, who will want to start a second group?

First Team Breakthrough BVB Hibs's Avatar
    Standing would have me a hell of a lot more likely to get to a game. I'm definitely the singy, shouty, jumpy type at a football match and anything that can improve the amount of that at easter road would make me a very happy man.

An absolute must. A great opportunity for Hibs to be at the forefront once again. Most importantly, it would help the team receive that extra push in the second half. It's win-win. We'd love it, the players would love it, and the board would look good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I already stand there along with a few others that sit beside me, as I have a ST in the back row and have no one behind us telling us to sit down.

Quote Originally Posted by Gogs43 View Post
    This is a test of supply

My family group have been standing in the East for years. Why do we need a second standing area?

It would be completely different if it was a safe terraced area though.

And we don't need a group for it. It would just essentially be a terraced area in the ground which we don't currently have. Terracing naturally lends to better atmosphere at the football.

That's my take on it anyway.

First Team Breakthrough Moon unit's Avatar
    Go for it!

Why not the east? As I see it, they're the ones putting all the effort in just now.

This is a no brainer for me.

I voted for the idea, but would probably move to a seat either in the FF upper ( if I could persuade my pal ) or to a seat in the East near the FF coz I'm a bit too long in the tooth now for standing for 90 minutes and a bit too wee for that matter if theres a 6' tall guy standing in front of me. But hopefully would be able to join in with the singing from the FF

But IMO Easter Road really needs this ..... as somebody has said in another thread the increase in size of the East has not done the atmosphere any favours. In big games yes it can be noisy and really good, but for the most part in bog standard matches the size drowns the singing section. Given the fact that time after time a small away support in the South can out noise a bigger or similar sized section in the East ( anybody who was at the Motherwell match will know what I mean ) the evidence is there that this could be a good thing.

As far as I am aware the idea of trialing some standing areas in the SPL was mooted about a year ago and to my recollection Hibs were not against the idea. As I have said before, there is plenty of room in the East to relocate the family section which currently resides in the FF lower. I for one would be happy to move to see this happen.

The, for want of a better term, Ultra's section at ER has been located in many areas, from the north end of the old main stand to the enclosure in front of that area to name but two.

Its time to bring some of the fun and atmosphere back to Easter Road and IMO giving the lower FF over to a singing section ( standing or not ) is the way to go about it. All around the World football clubs have a section of their stadiums given over to the more boisterous and noisy fans in the support .... these fans like to think of that part of the ground as their own. I cant think of many fans who would want to see their 'Ultra's' section squeezed to the side of a huge stand.

Surely its better to have a self contained area of the ground dedicated to this than a wee bit of a huge stand. I never heard anybody at the Scottish Cup ties at Ayr the season before last or Kilmarnock last season complain about not being in a huge stand. The atmosphere created by the Hibs support in both games was as good as I have been part of in any game I've been to since the 70s.

In fact the Killie game was a prime example of what could be achieved at ER given that everybody, including Killie fans and staff, went on about what a great atmosphere it was .... even though the other three sides of the ground were far from full.

I rest my case.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 03-09-2013 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    Why not the east? .
    It's too steep.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    It's a yes from me. Someone email the club about it and inform them about the support its gaining. Petrie get it sorted.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    Why not the east? As I see it, they're the ones putting all the effort in just now.

Its too big and also only a single tier.

Standing in FF lower would be where I'd be heading if it was an option, must hold close on 2k in there, 500 of us in Malmo sounded bang on & I'd imagine there'd be FULL signs up for the FF lower for most bigger games once fans got a taste of it. Def gets my vote..

@hibs.net private member tamsonsbairn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bovril View Post
    this is a no brainer for me.

I voted for the idea, but would probably move to a seat either in the ff upper ( if i could persuade my pal ) or to a seat in the east near the ff coz i'm a bit too long in the tooth now for standing for 90 minutes and a bit too wee for that matter if theres a 6' tall guy standing in front of me. But hopefully would be able to join in with the singing from the ff

but imo easter road really needs this ..... As somebody has said in another thread the increase in size of the east has not done the atmosphere any favours. In big games yes it can be noisy and really good, but for the most part in bog standard matches the size drowns the singing section. Given the fact that time after time a small away support in the south can out noise a bigger or similar sized section in the east ( anybody who was at the motherwell match will know what i mean ) the evidence is there that this could be a good thing.

As far as i am aware the idea of trialing some standing areas in the spl was mooted about a year ago and to my recollection hibs were not against the idea. As i have said before, there is plenty of room in the east to relocate the family section which currently resides in the ff lower. I for one would be happy to move to see this happen.

The, for want of a better term, ultra's section at er has been located in many areas, from the north end of the old main stand to the enclosure in front of that area to name but two.

Its time to bring some of the fun and atmosphere back to easter road and imo giving the lower ff over to a singing section ( standing or not ) is the way to go about it. All around the world football clubs have a section of their stadiums given over to the more boisterous and noisy fans in the support .... These fans like to think of that part of the ground as their own. I cant think of many fans who would want to see their 'ultra's' section squeezed to the side of a huge stand.

Surely its better to have a self contained area of the ground dedicated to this than a wee bit of a huge stand. I never heard anybody at the scottish cup ties at ayr the season before last or kilmarnock last season complain about not being in a huge stand. The atmosphere created by the hibs support in both games was as good as i have been part of in any game i've been to since the 70s.

In fact the killie game was a prime example of what could be achieved at er given that everybody, including killie fans and staff, went on about what a great atmosphere it was .... Even though the other three sides of the ground were far from full.

I rest my case.
    this.

The Kilmarnock game.. There was part of me at that match that felt that we had A LOT to do with going on to win that game. We galvanised the team because our presence was beyond mega that day. If we had that every Saturday, think of how much better we'd be off...

Quote Originally Posted by BVB Hibs View Post
    Standing would have me a hell of a lot more likely to get to a game. I'm definitely the singy, shouty, jumpy type at a football match and anything that can improve the amount of that at easter road would make me a very happy man.
    at the risk of boring some on here those were the days. loved being able to move about and even f off if you wanted to. but it would create a much much better atmosphere. Mikey mentions the south dunbar end too, but i'd be dead against encouraging opposing fans creating more noise for them/their team. the 3 or 4 busloads of the small teams usually make mair noise than us as it is! would definitely like to see standing re-introduced for US.

Totally behind the reintroduction of standing areas.
    I'm currently in the FF lower cause I take the kids, though I would never move back to the west lower.
    I had a season ticket there for a number of years and hated the fact that there is so little leg room between the seats. Spent the entire 90 mins with knees against the rim of the seat in front. All other sections of the ground are much better.
    If there is any part of the ground that could do with having the seats ripped out, its the west lower.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFamous1875 View Post
    The Kilmarnock game.. There was part of me at that match that felt that we had A LOT to do with going on to win that game. We galvanised the team because our presence was beyond mega that day. If we had that every Saturday, think of how much better we'd be off...

heartily agree . was a FANtastic day for us

@hibs.net private member neilmartinrocks's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sum1stolemytag
    Quote Originally Posted by sadtom View Post
    Totally behind the reintroduction of standing areas.
    I'm currently in the FF lower cause I take the kids, though I would never move back to the west lower.
    I had a season ticket there for a number of years and hated the fact that there is so little leg room between the seats. Spent the entire 90 mins with knees against the rim of the seat in front. All other sections of the ground are much better.
    If there is any part of the ground that could do with having the seats ripped out, its the west lower.
    I've only been in the west lower once and hated it for this reason and I'm only 5' 11". Thought I was just pissed off coz my mate got tickets for there instead of the east. Just along from the dug outs.
    MORTUI SED IGNORANTI M M

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gogs43 View Post
    This is a test of supply

Nobody would be stopping your family from staying exactly where you are? As someone else said. the group of around 500-600 that went to Malmo made a hell of a racket, the full ends at Ayr and Kilmarnock recently have shown just how we as a support can get behind the team better if we are in a smaller area.

I did sit along from where you are situated, and could hear the opposition support much more than section 43, even if it was Inverness or Ross County's 150 fans.

I know you are against this, and nobody is forcing you to move. I hope it takes off, and we start to fill one end of our ground with boisterous noisy fans, and i feel it will grow much quicker than anything organised in the east, its just too big at the moment.