hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Two Fantastic Assists

I'm not sure we've given enough credit to Rowan Vine and Lewis Stevenson for two fantastic deliveries which set up both goals. Vine's was undefendable, whipped in perfectly right onto Craig's head, and Lewis' was just as good, perfectly weighted right behind the defence, reminded me a bit of a long ball Zemmama played through for a Stokes volleyed goal against der Hun a few seasons back. The kind of service we've been missing badly in recent seasons, long may it continue

All SPL goals

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QPfK0jl...ature=m-ch-fea

Stokes v Der Hun
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JMOg0n_rVnA
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 25-08-2013 at 05:57 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Well said.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    But Stevenson is never a player???!!!.

Apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Apparently.

I thought that was just at Right Back, or is it in ANY position?

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post

Apparently.
    The whingeing about that one went quiet again this week. Same as last week. Quite a few early on in the match update thread.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    The whingeing about that one went quiet again this week. Same as last week. Quite a few early on in the match update thread.
    I like the laddie Andy..I really think some folk just like to bump their gums..When switched to RB against Dundee utd last week he never gave GMS a sniff.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I have stuck up for Stevenson more than most, but call me old fashioned i'd rather we played a right back at right back, and we have 2 available without switching Lewis over.

And the reason i want that is purely for the balance of the team, Stevenson is restricted in how he goes forward and plays the ball forward, which affects the way we go forward and attack as a team.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I have stuck up for Stevenson more than most, but call me old fashioned i'd rather we played a right back at right back, and we have 2 available without switching Lewis over.

And the reason i want that is purely for the balance of the team, Stevenson is restricted in how he goes forward and plays the ball forward, which affects the way we go forward and attack as a team.
    Great ball though eh?

Coaching Staff

If rather we did too but only of the ones available will do a better job than him. Are the two Mullen and Maybury? Or Forster who seems to have barely played full back in his puff and never at first team level?

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Great ball though eh?
    It was a decent ball and Craig did well to fight off his man and finish well. What about the rest of my post?

Hopefully Collins isnt far away from his goal then.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Great ball though eh?
    One man's assist is another man's 'hoof' up the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    If rather we did too but only of the ones available will do a better job than him. Are the two Mullen and Maybury? Or Forster who seems to have barely played full back in his puff and never at first team level?
    Forster and Maybury, Mullen is nowhere near the standard of an SPFL footballer. I'd rather we played our sub keeper at right back than him, or even Stevenson.

Forster is a good player, and someone who looked a fantastic find last season. I believe he'd fit in just nicely at right back, and yes i'd play him there before Maybury, who'd be my 2nd choice at the minute.

It was a decent ball and Craig did well to fight off his man and finish well. What about the rest of my post?
    Prior to the Dundee Utd game I'd have agreed with you about Lewis at RB. The problem is he's actually performing well there in the last two games, he was excellent when Mullen went off and he was switched against Dundee Utd, and did well again yesterday, even the Lewis sceptics seem to agree.

@hibs.net private member hibbymick's Avatar
    Prior to the Dundee Utd game I'd have agreed with you about Lewis at RB. The problem is he's actually performing well there in the last two games, he was excellent when Mullen went off and he was switched against Dundee Utd, and did well again yesterday, even the Lewis sceptics seem to agree.
    He is an average player. Nothing more nothing less, lets no be bummin a player up too much just because they stuck in a decent cross, that's the least they should be able to do on the money they earn.

I have not seen the game, only the goals but i'm still not going to sway towards playing a player who unbalances the side as much as he does.

And i firmly believe we'd be better with Forster or even Maybury there, especially going forward.

As per the other thread, credit where it's due. It was a good ball through from Stevenson for the second goal. And he's done fairly well at right back last week and yesterday.

The Stevenson argument is an old one that will never go away whilst he is playing with us. The team is where it is from having to play guys like that out of position. A guy that for the best part of a year hasn't been good enough to get a game in his own position.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbymick View Post
    He is an average player. Nothing more nothing less, lets no be bummin a player up too much just because they stuck in a decent cross, that's the least they should be able to do on the money they earn.
    It wasn't an OP about Lewis, it was about two decent deliveries from Vine and Lewis so No-ones 'bummin' anyone up, shame credit can't be given when it's due.

Left by mutual consent!
    Be nice if we could have stuck tae the topic of the thread instead of using it as another player bashing exercise. I'm no keen on Stevenson at RB, sometimes it has worked, sometimes it hasnae, when it works great, when it disnae it's hardly his fault, he's playing there because he's being asked tae. If there's a problem with that, it lies elsewhere, no with him, he never gives less than 100%. .

I agree with the OP
    Last edited by Saorsa; 25-08-2013 at 07:17 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Two very good balls through. Vine's cross was perfect - Craig didn't have to move a muscle to direct it in. Credit to Killie's goal also. What a volley.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Good OP. Haven't seen the highlights yet but well done to Vine as well by the sounds of it. He's been slaughtered lately and was getting 2/10 etc in the player rating threads. His CV suggests he is potentially a good signing so hopefully this is something he can build on.

I'm not sure we've given enough credit to Rowan Vine and Lewis Stevenson for two fantastic deliveries which set up both goals. Vine's was undefendable, whipped in perfectly right onto Craig's head, and Lewis' was just as good, perfectly weighted right behind the defence, reminded me a bit of a long ball Zemmama played through for a Stokes volleyed goal against der Hun a few seasons back. The kind of service we've been missing badly in recent seasons, long may it continue

All SPL goals

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QPfK0jl...ature=m-ch-fea

Stokes v Der Hun
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JMOg0n_rVnA
    And there goal started from.....................A HIBS THROWN IN.

We have always been dreadful at retaining possession from Thow Ins.

Really good build up to the 1st goal, brilliant passing and movement.

Wonder how many refs would have blown for a free kick with our winner?
    Last edited by macca70; 25-08-2013 at 07:25 PM.

Never get tired watching that Stokes goal. Wonderful skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Wotherspiniesta View Post
    Never get tired watching that Stokes goal. Wonderful skill.
    Shame about Zemmama's hoofball spoiling it

Aye Gary, just think what might actually happen if Lewis is played at left midfield where he belongs, might even allow Craig to play his more natural central attacking midfield position, the position he found himself scoring both goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinho08 View Post
    Hopefully Collins isnt far away from his goal then.
    I'm convinced Collins will come good his touch is good & he links well with other players, was involved in the moves for the first goal yesterday & also the great move for the Vine finish ruled offside.

He'll deffo score a few this season but will also contribute greatly in helping create others, he's a young lad who is still settling in but will be a great asset to Hibs.

Let's not forget that Griifiths only scored 8 from 30 games in his first season with Hibs & Stokes didn't score his first for Hibs until Sept 19th (5 games I think).

Darren Barr ....ha ha , paid back slightly for the lucky cup final goal.

Two goals scored after play out wide instead of just battering it through the middle-who would ever thought of that as a tactic-will it catch on?

Forster and Maybury, Mullen is nowhere near the standard of an SPFL footballer. I'd rather we played our sub keeper at right back than him, or even Stevenson.

Forster is a good player, and someone who looked a fantastic find last season. I believe he'd fit in just nicely at right back, and yes i'd play him there before Maybury, who'd be my 2nd choice at the minute.
    But wouldn't that be laying a ch at rb? Wat have you seen from him that would have you pick him over 3 fullbacks?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    The Vine cross for our first was perfection - totally unplayable from the defence's point of view.

Lewis's ball into the box for the second didn't look like a hoof up the park to me; it was well-directed and well-weighted and put Barr in a lot of trouble when Craig arrived. I'm pretty sure Lewis could see Liam and played the ball in accordingly.

We all know that lots of people don't rate Lewis - I do, and in this instance credit is due and should be given.

Like the OP says ...