hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fenlon wants hibs player to have mental fortitude

THIS IS A QUOTE FROM TODAY'S SCOTSMAN-A man under pressure thanks to a poor start to the season, he says he is thick skinned enough to cope with that but he wants his players to prove they also have the mental fortitude to cope with the weight of match day expectations.
    I think we’ve got good players but they’ve got to go and show that now. Because when you come to a big club, as Hibs is, you’ve got to be prepared to handle the pressure of that. That’s something you’ve got to stand up and do, whether that’s as a player or a coach or a manager. We’ve got to make sure we get the best out of everybody and drive each other on but it’s about finding that balance and getting a bit of confidence and then I think they’ll kick on.”

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Fair enough.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    I agree with what he is saying, but I dont understand why they arent able to cope with match day expectations? The majority of them are more than capable footballers as we have seen in the past, and at the moment I think all the fans want to see is them play the game properly (ie not booting it long), which we have also seen them do in patches - if they can do that we will at least be competitive, and it will get a lot of the fans back on side.

Quote Originally Posted by too_many_djs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree with what he is saying, but I dont understand why they arent able to cope with match day expectations? The majority of them are more than capable footballers as we have seen in the past, and at the moment I think all the fans want to see is them play the game properly (ie not booting it long), which we have also seen them do in patches - if they can do that we will at least be competitive, and it will get a lot of the fans back on side.
    Correct you will never win any sport without having a strong mind, unfortunately Hibs have had their fair share of weak minded players in the past, hopefully Pat can install some belief, because it sounds to me he is concerned

Just as Jimmy Nichol said to that geezer on George Street the other night.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    I agree with what he says. But I don't agree with his ability to make it happen.

Players can go out there with all the confidence in the world. But if there's no proper game plan in place, it counts for nothing.

When was the last time players looked as if they had a clue what they were doing on the pitch?

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    They should be fine tomorrow then playing infront of a couple of thousand fans against Killie.

No pressure.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibercelona View Post
    I agree with what he says. But I don't agree with his ability to make it happen.

Players can go out there with all the confidence in the world. But if there's no proper game plan in place, it counts for nothing.

When was the last time players looked as if they had a clue what they were doing on the pitch?
    I think the first 50% of both halves against Motherwell we were fine (without creating many clear cut chances), there was a pattern to our play and we got the ball to Harris regularly - sadly he had a mare in the 1st half, but was our most threatening player in the 2nd up til his injury.

However, we have been completely flat and hopeless since then, as we have no creative outlet, nor anyone with pace in the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    Just as Jimmy Nichol said to that geezer on George Street the other night.
    That geezer was me and I was shot down from many on the Hibs net for mentioning it, it seems this is the general feeling of the Hibs Management

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    I think the first 50% of both halves against Motherwell we were fine, there was a pattern to our play and we got the ball to Harris regularly - sadly he had a mare in the 1st half, but was our most threatening player in the 2nd up til his injury.

However, we have been completely flat and hopeless since then, as we have no creative outlet, nor anyone with pace in the team.
    The problem I have with this Stevie is that we always seem very reliant on one player to perform in a game, when there should be multiple attacking options.

As you say, we look completely flat and appear to lack any real creativety or game plan. We had a player last season who could pick the ball up at the half way line and run up and score a goal. Harris certainly won't do that for us (when fit to play) and I don't think it would be fair to place such expectations on him.

Every player needs to dig in and be on the same wavelength. We look very disjointed all over the park. It's the managers job to fix this.

He can talk about confidence and effort all he wants. But he has to have some sort of game plan. Something we're seriously lacking.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Is this not part of the managers job, making sure he signs the right types, not weak shy players frightened of their own shadows?

The excuses are getting more ridiculous each season.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Is this not part of the managers job, making sure he signs the right types, not weak shy players frightened of their own shadows?

The excuses are getting more ridiculous each season.
    This

All that has been mentioned by PF I would fully expect a pro player signing on at not just Hibs but any SPL club to do as standard.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    The problem I have with this Stevie is that we always seem very reliant on one player to perform in a game, when there should be multiple attacking options.

As you say, we look completely flat and appear to lack any real creativety or game plan. We had a player last season who could pick the ball up at the half way line and run up and score a goal. Harris certainly won't do that for us (when fit to play) and I don't think it would be fair to place such expectations on him.

Every player needs to dig in and be on the same wavelength. We look very disjointed all over the park. It's the managers job to fix this.

He can talk about confidence and effort all he wants. But he has to have some sort of game plan. Something we're seriously lacking.
    I don't disagree with much of that, whilst Cairney and Harris' injuries are unfortunate, we should still have other focal points in the side, and a discernible pattern to our play, and I'm in no way trying to excuse Fenlon as the blame lies squarely with him.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WestStandMoaner View Post
    Correct you will never win any sport without having a strong mind, unfortunately Hibs have had their fair share of weak minded players in the past, hopefully Pat can install some belief, because it sounds to me he is concerned
    Name some.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar

The excuses are getting more ridiculous each game.
    Changed that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    Name some.
    You just have to look at how many times over the last few years a Hibs team have bottled it in front of big crowds to no know. Assuming you go to the games

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    THIS IS A QUOTE FROM TODAY'S SCOTSMAN-A man under pressure thanks to a poor start to the season, he says he is thick skinned enough to cope with that but he wants his players to prove they also have the mental fortitude to cope with the weight of match day expectations.
    I think we’ve got good players but they’ve got to go and show that now. Because when you come to a big club, as Hibs is, you’ve got to be prepared to handle the pressure of that. That’s something you’ve got to stand up and do, whether that’s as a player or a coach or a manager. We’ve got to make sure we get the best out of everybody and drive each other on but it’s about finding that balance and getting a bit of confidence and then I think they’ll kick on.”
    Players that have come from other SPL teams who have out performed Hibs, a player that scored a hat trick against Stoke in the FA cup and others who have played in England in front of bigger crowds are suddenly feeling the pressure at Hibs! I don't buy any of that at all.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    You just have to look at how many times over the last few years a Hibs team have bottled it in front of big crowds to no know. Assuming you go to the games
    I couldn't name anyone in this lot who are frightened of playing in front of a big crowd? I wonder when a small crowd turns into a bigger one for them, and is it the same number for all?

I wonder if some are frightened at 7k some at 8k some at 9k and the rest at 12k. If only our fans could cause a wee bit of trouble and get the ground closed for a while, we could quite easily win the league if only our fans cared enough?

I couldn't name anyone in this lot who are frightened of playing in front of a big crowd? I wonder when a small crowd turns into a bigger one for them, and is it the same number for all?

I wonder if some are frightened at 7k some at 8k some at 9k and the rest at 12k. If only our fans could cause a wee bit of trouble and get the ground closed for a while, we could quite easily win the league if only our fans cared enough?

I care enough not to turn up for games these days. I'm happy knowing that i'm helping the players out by reducing the attendance figure.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Wish some of our fans had more mental fortitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberlin View Post
    Personally, I think its a miracle that over 9,000 still turn up for games.

I'll say this for the last time. ITS HIS JOB! If he thinks they are letting him down he should drop them and let a boy take their place. Stop cuddling the little shiyites. Im sick to death of the rubbish that he continues to spout. Its the SPL not the ****** World Cup!

Personally, I think its a miracle that over 9,000 still turn up for games.
    Hope eternal! What being a fan is about, come rain come hail!

You can't blame the fans at all -the team getting the following it's had over the last few years considering we have been terrible - many teams crowds would have seriously dropped more than us.

Fenlon talked when he arrived about signing players with a better mentality and Hibs used the slogan - team with more bottle.

Surely when identifying a player this is a key consideration ?

Some strange things coming out of his mouth recently - if all else fails go off on complete tangents and try and blame someone / something.

Left by mutual consent!
    That geezer was me and I was shot down from many on the Hibs net for mentioning it, it seems this is the general feeling of the Hibs Management
    or another excuse for their failure?

Hope eternal! What being a fan is about, come rain come hail!
    So you think being a fan is about being taken for a ride?

Because that's what the clubs doing. I don't believe the board value the fans, unless it involves how much money they have in thier back pocket on match day.

I'm all for following the team through thick and thin. But we actually need a team first.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenStar View Post
    You can't blame the fans at all -the team getting the following it's had over the last few years considering we have been terrible - many teams crowds would have seriously dropped more than us.

Fenlon talked when he arrived about signing players with a better mentality and Hibs used the slogan - team with more bottle.

Surely when identifying a player this is a key consideration ?

Some strange things coming out of his mouth recently - if all else fails go off on complete tangents and try and blame someone / something.
    Not blaming the fans, just suggesting that the expectations might be a bit high. With the exception of a few blips of sunshine it's been pretty dire being a Hibby the last 40 or so years and the recent manager revolving door hasn't changed that and I see no reason why another change will make any difference.

Not blaming the fans, just suggesting that the expectations might be a bit high. With the exception of a few blips of sunshine it's been pretty dire being a Hibby the last 40 or so years and the recent manager revolving door hasn't changed that and I see no reason why another change will make any difference.
    How can expectations be too high? Nobodies asking Hibs to win the league.

Top 6 should be standard. Top 3 should be expected. That's not high expectations, that's simply where we should be.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Aye well Pat that was one of your stated objectives when you were first appointed so it seems as though you've failed miserably up until now.

So you think being a fan is about being taken for a ride?

Because that's what the clubs doing. I don't believe the board value the fans, unless it involves how much money they have in thier back pocket on match day.

I'm all for following the team through thick and thin. But we actually need a team first.
    Aye, a rollercoaster ride. Football's like that, you spend much more time going up than you actually spend up.