hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Caldwell and Handling up front? (merged)

Wondering who everyone thinks will score more goals this season?

Can see them being the type to have a bet like oconner and riordan did as they seem very good pals. Personally I think Danny will edge it as think theirs more to his game.

Ross seems to of started very well and looks naturally suited to spl cause of his strength. Thing that I like about him is when one of the youth coaches described him as a "perfectionist" and he's not happy until he's scored even if he's played well and confidence doesn't effect him.

Danny on the other hand seems a more intelligent player who finds himself in pockets of space which leads to chances. Although may take him a while longer to settle cause of his build but I think his football brain makes up for it.

Iv been very impressed with the youngsters though to me they all seem to have a certain swagger about them and don't seem to phased. Also liked the look of the link up between Danny Ross and Alex

Exciting times! :D

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wondering who everyone thinks will score more goals this season?

Can see them being the type to have a bet like oconner and riordan did as they seem very good pals. Personally I think Danny will edge it as think theirs more to his game.

Ross seems to of started very well and looks naturally suited to spl cause of his strength. Thing that I like about him is when one of the youth coaches described him as a "perfectionist" and he's not happy until he's scored even if he's played well and confidence doesn't effect him.

Danny on the other hand seems a more intelligent player who finds himself in pockets of space which leads to chances. Although may take him a while longer to settle cause of his build but I think his football brain makes up for it.

Iv been very impressed with the youngsters though to me they all seem to have a certain swagger about them and don't seem to phased. Also liked the look of the link up between Danny Ross and Alex

Exciting times! :D
    Caldwell.

@hibs.net private member R'Albin's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Razza96
    No offence to Danny, but if he avoids injury then Caldwell will by a pretty big margin IMO.

Caldwell.

I'm quite excited about him, he looks cool and calm in front of goal, puts a shift in and is a big, strong guy.

Handling still has a lot of work to do imo.

Handling for me

Impressed by Caldwell too tho.

fitba folk ken fit the score is!

First Team Regular West hamBERNIAN's Avatar
    Hard to say ATM, Danny has been getting in some good positions. If he improves his composure he could hit double figures. To be fair sparky lacked a little composure when he was first here I thought. I'll say Caldwell.

First Team Breakthrough Leighonel's Avatar
    If they play upfornt together then probably danny, but if they play with another partner then probably caldwell.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: stevesyb
    I seem to recall Danny not playing up front too often. Caldwell looks more suited to an out and out striker role so I'd say he'd get more goals based on that. As much as I think both are good prospects we really need 1 or 2 more experienced heads in their even to help their development if anything else.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Caldwell will have a bigger impact this season because his physique will get him through against the huddies and thugs.

Danny appears to have the basic tools to be the better player, but will need learn to take the game by the scruff of the neck and not be bullied.

Caldwell for me, think he'll get more game time plus a bit more advanced as a player.

First Team Breakthrough VivaHiberña's Avatar
    Maybe an unfair comparison, as Caldwell seems to be more of a proper centre-forward whereas Handling has played in midfield. So I suppose my answer has to be Caldwell. Hopefully they can make it as Scotland's 2nd best group of youngsters, along with some less-seen faces like Stanton, Donaldson etc who should be playing a bit more next season.

Quote Originally Posted by HibeeBigFly View Post
    fitba folk ken fit the score is!
    LTSF

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    Reckon Caldwell will shade it, but really is a hugely exciting time for our club again, can see both players having a big impace in our future along with the rest of the youth in the set up. The futures bright

Left by mutual consent!
    Caldwell imo. I do like Handling though!

@hibs.net private member
    Handling for me. A goal early on in the season will do wonders for his confidence. His finishing ability is up there with the best I've seen at such a young age. He needs that wee bit more confidence to have a dig now he's in the first team though. But that will come.

Caldwell. Handling hasn't impressed so far IMO. Looks great at Under 20s so here's hoping he can step it up!

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    Caldwell will have a bigger impact this season because his physique will get him through against the huddies and thugs.

Danny appears to have the basic tools to be the better player, but will need learn to take the game by the scruff of the neck and not be bullied.
    Good summary.

Funnily enough with their build and Characteristics; Danny and Ross remind me a lot of Riordan and O'Connor!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meh View Post
    Funnily enough with their build and Characteristics; Danny and Ross remind me a lot of Riordan and O'Connor!
    Caldwell by some margin IMO. Looks much more like a striker to me and has the confidence and technique. Not too sure what to make of Handling yet, he doesnt seem to strike the ball well and his finishing was a bit wayward the times I have seen him. He gets into good positions though and seems an intelligent player with the ball to feet maybe he is more a midfielder

I don't really see the O'Connor/Riordan thing. caldwell and O'Connor I get, but Handling and Riordan look vastly different players.

Caldwell, NO doubt about it .

I can see this being a sorta benji zouma connection, maybe danny will assist more but ross has score two excellent goals at the end of the season.

Any one know there squad numbers? I see ross being a number 9 guy and danny a 10 (obv in future)

Left by mutual consent!
    Don't think either will get that many as got a feeling Fenlon will sign someone as his main man up front and then play a system of one up front with players such as Harris, Craig and Robertson supporting. He might even sign two strikers which could see Handling and Caldwell slip further down the pecking order.

Big season for them both. How old are they? 19? By this age Fletcher and O'Connor had well and truly broken through. Riordan was just about to hit the heights. We haven't seen enough of either to suggest how far they will or won't go in the game, maybe be able to judge it better this time next year.

To answer the question, who will score more goals, all relative really to who get more opportunity but that notwithstanding, I would go for Caldwell. I just get a feeling that he has more of a killer instinct. Handling looks like he could be a exciting but frustrating player to watch and seems more tricky and mobile but out of the two Caldwell looks like he could be the more natural scorer.

Left by mutual consent!

Are they ready yet?

Just wanted peoples opinions on whether or not you think Handling and Caldwell are ready yet? I'm not starting this thread to try and a have a go/basing it on what I saw last night because that wouldn't be fair. So, does anyone think they are ready?

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    I think handling is a million miles away from being ready, he works hard enough but I can't renember ever seeing a forward offer such little threat, looks miles out his depth imo.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    I dont think Handling is ready, but picked because he is considered to be more versatile; Fenlon seems to see him as someone who can play as a front two or out wide depending on how the game is.

Caldwell seems to look like more of a first team player imo, but still very raw. Hes someone I wouldnt mind coming off the bench more this season, and starting a few games here and there.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by too_many_djs View Post
    I dont think Handling is ready, but picked because he is considered to be more versatile; Fenlon seems to see him as someone who can play as a front two or out wide depending on how the game is.

Caldwell seems to look like more of a first team player imo, but still very raw. Hes someone I wouldnt mind coming off the bench more this season, and starting a few games here and there.

I still think handling is a bit lightweight and can be muscled off the ball (saying that he put in the only meaty challenge I can remember last night) therefore not posing much of a threat at the moment.

caldwell has good potential IMO. He finishes well, shows strength and has shown loads of enthusiasm when getting a chance. Been mentioned on another thread previously but he would do well playing alongside a Brewster type strike partner and learning his trade (did GOC a world of good as a player).

potential in both but need to be playing in a confident team with a supportive atmosphere which isnae us at the moment unfortunately.

Both are ready imo. Handling is a good finisher not shown it as much yet but if you watch youth and when he was on loan he was very good. He's more of a intelligent player who works little 1-2s in and around the area. Last night he showed his intelligence alot IMO in and around their area, their was a point in first half it was very congested and pinged a cracking pass to Mullen who then whipped in the cross.

Caldwell is a bull dozer type foward who will go through anything or one and scored some good goals last season. They play best IMO when their with each other as they know what they will be doing. That understanding will take time to develop with new players such as vine and Craig

Alot of people are forgetting them 2 and Harris were our bright spark at end of season and it's difficult enough for guys like vine whose 30? Playing in a game like that last night never mind 19 year olds who alot of the support don't seem to have faith in. Theirs plenty of time yet and everytime I see them play their the ones trying to make something happen and don't look out of place imo

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Both are ready imo. Handling is a good finisher not shown it as much yet but if you watch youth and when he was on loan he was very good. He's more of a intelligent player who works little 1-2s in and around the area. Last night he showed his intelligence alot IMO in and around their area, their was a point in first half it was very congested and pinged a cracking pass to Mullen who then whipped in the cross.

Caldwell is a bull dozer type foward who will go through anything or one and scored some good goals last season. They play best IMO when their with each other as they know what they will be doing. That understanding will take time to develop with new players such as vine and Craig

Alot of people are forgetting them 2 and Harris were our bright spark at end of season and it's difficult enough for guys like vine whose 30? Playing in a game like that last night never mind 19 year olds who alot of the support don't seem to have faith in. Theirs plenty of time yet and everytime I see them play their the ones trying to make something happen and don't look out of place imo

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    Quote Originally Posted by coco22 View Post
    I still think handling is a bit lightweight and can be muscled off the ball (saying that he put in the only meaty challenge I can remember last night) therefore not posing much of a threat at the moment.

caldwell has good potential IMO. He finishes well, shows strength and has shown loads of enthusiasm when getting a chance. Been mentioned on another thread previously but he would do well playing alongside a Brewster type strike partner and learning his trade (did GOC a world of good as a player).

potential in both but need to be playing in a confident team with a supportive atmosphere which isnae us at the moment unfortunately.
    I think thats an important point. Neither seem to be the (albeit rare) sort of player that breaks through and regardless of age are instant 'superstars' (by that I mean the best player at the club, or the ability to carry a team etc), so they will need time and patience as they develop. Its not going to do either any good to be played out of position in a team that is on the end of hidings every other week.

Quote Originally Posted by too_many_djs View Post

I agree with this wholeheartedly. My only concern is the effect the likes of last night can have on these young lads. Handling looked ready to burst into tears and slit his wrists at full time (I know most of us felt the same) and its nice to see he cares however it is unfair to expose such young and raw prospects to that and whilst i understand they have to learn that kind of performance and result can end up doing more damage than good.

I like Caldwell and I think he is probably closer to a first team player than some of the others but it is clear Fenlon sees him as no more than a bit part player otherwise he would have partnered Griffiths up front more often last season.