hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad luck

Bad luck

Without sounding like a happy clapper I think we have been quite unlucky. People wanting shiels in for Fenlon, a manager who finished 9th 6 points behind us is not the answer. I know people will be saying 6 points is nothing but if we had a extra 6 we would of finished 3rd. The spl was very tight last year and we were very unfortunate not to get in the top 6 and the games after the split we were looking good.

new season starts and we bring in players who were key in teams that finished above us such as Craig, vine and Tudor jones. Along with them we bring in a promising right back and a striker who got 18 goals last season. Added on to that Thomson and Robertson have a full pre season and are putting in good performances. We also signed a experienced no nonsense centre half.

im not saying the start of this season has been good, not by a long shot as we expect better. But in the 2 games this season we haven't been worse than Motherwell and hearts they have just gotten the lucky break IMO. All of our creative players are out injured so he is putting out a team to make us harder to beat and in fairness we do look more solid. People saying we're not attacking enough need to remember we got hammered 7-0 at home, a result like that takes time to get out of the players and coaching staffs system so by making us harder to get beat and not concede as much will slowly make them more confident and eventually play their normal game which a lot of them are not doing right now as they seem terrified and under immense pressure.

we have our captain mcpake, first choice right back Clancy, 2 main attacking threats and flair players carney and Harris who on their day can rip any defender to shreds all out injured. Our first choice left back is just recovering from a injury aswell. Pat looking at his team pre season with everyone fully fit would of been confident, he couldn't of guessed our 2 wingers would get injured by the first game so right now he can only play the players available unitill he can recruit someone new, it takes time to find the right player for the right price etc.

If we started the season with a fully fit team and not on the back of a 7-0 gubbing the players would of been confident and a line up of either

williams Williams

clancy. Mcpake Nelson. Mcgivern. Clancy. Mcpake. Nelson. Mcgivern

harris. Thomson. Craig. Cairney. Thomson. Craig

Vine. Collins. Harris. Cairney. Vine

Collins

Would IMO have people excited, everyone on top of their game would be very hard to beat for every spl team. This is still leaving a bench to make up of either

robertson
    taiwo
    stevenson
    hanlon
    forster
    handling
    caldwell
    stanton
    Mullen
    Tudor jones

that to me is a very strong team with a lot of quality players and options. Unfortunately we have possibly our most influential players missing in cairney and Harris, even when they were fit we were looking for another winger so the fact this has happened so soon is just unlucky.

also losing 7-0 to a team, I don't care what anyone says is the players fault, Fenlon picked a team most of us would of picked and at the end of the day they never turned up, he has no control over them once the game starts and nothing he would of told them to do would of made them lose 7-0, that result IMO is solely based on the players. You can say he never motivated them or whatever which I imagine he would of! But even if he never.... If you can't motivate and get buzzing for a European game at home with 16000 fans supporting you, then your a lost cause and shouldn't play.

anyway just a wee bit of perspective after a hard couple of weeks and day! We will get better....... I hope

2. Log in to remove the advert

Apologies the team formation never went to plan was meant to read

williams

Clancy mcpake nelson mcgivern

harris Thomson Craig cairney

Vine collins

or

williams

clancy mcpake nelson mcgivern

Thomson. Craig

harris. Cairney. ViNe

Collins

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    A team that cannot play three passes together more than 5 times in 90 minutes, cannot get the ball to their strikers, cannot get out of each others way and cannot pass through midfield because they would rather punt is NOT UNLUCKY!!

It is just feebly poor.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Were we just "unlucky" 9 times against Malmo?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A team that cannot play three passes together more than 5 times in 90 minutes, cannot get the ball to their strikers, cannot get out of each others way and cannot pass through midfield because they would rather punt is NOT UNLUCKY!!

It is just feebly poor.
    Thats what I'm saying the lead up to this has made them have 0 confidence and not want the ball, the only one who always wants it is Thomson. A couple of games should see the confidence and flair come back

Quote Originally Posted by Hibercelona View Post
    Were we just "unlucky" 9 times against Malmo?
    I did touch on that, that's the players fault. The manager can set up his team however he likes but if they don't do the business on the park it's hopeless. No one can say how we set up is the reason we lost 7!

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Forget about Malmo

Yes we havent been that much worse than Well or Hearts (they should be the worst team in the league btw).

BUT...we, yes focus on our team have been pathetic

Even if we drew 0-0 both games...thats not the football we should be playing. hoof and hope. We actually have ball players, who we contunually miss out

We look devoid of ideas, extremely pedestrian and slow.

Shiels may have finished 6 points behind us....but on what fraction of our Budget? I seem to remember Killie played some decent stuff too.

Sheils does waffle a bit, but most of it was defending his club...fighting there corner - I'll have some of that please.

Ive defended Pat....but really yesterday was so similar to Well, which is not good enough. I fully expected a reaction, for us to take the game by the scruff of the neck and dominate

We didnt. The players looked scared....they must take some blame, but I think they have given up on Fenlon

Pat should have came out and lambested that performance, because its plan for everyone to see its not good enough. Instead we get the unlucky line. We probably didnt deserves to lose, but we did not deserve to win. And against a largely u20's side, thats simply not good enough.
    Last edited by Callum_62; 12-08-2013 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Thats what I'm saying the lead up to this has made them have 0 confidence and not want the ball, the only one who always wants it is Thomson. A couple of games should see the confidence and flair come back
    Whats going to happen over the next 2 games to see us playing with "confidence" and "flair"?

2 things we haven't had for 6 years.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    How does punting the ball back to the opposition give us confidence and how can flair come back when there isn't any to begin with?

Whats going to happen over the next 2 games to see us playing with "confidence" and "flair"?

2 things we haven't had for 6 years.
    Maybe go a goal or two up in a match?

Flair I'll give you as that's up to the observer to judge but confidence?

People, and I'm talking about those who attend, have short memories.

I do appreciate the points you make and I do believe that confidence being low is playing a part. But 4-5-1 at home against motherwell despite 7-0 at home and then a similar if not marginally more attacking 4-5-1 against a weak Hearts team is just not good enough. I would be more accepting of the 'bad luck' line if we were playing football, but we are not being set up to win games at the moment, and with players on paper that should be in the top 4 despite our current injuries-whether or not they aren't performing 100%-the blame has to fall on the manager.

Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post
    Maybe go a goal or two up in a match?

Flair I'll give you as that's up to the observer to judge but confidence?

People, and I'm talking about those who attend, have short memories.
    Aye, because we look like scoring a goal anytime soon right enough.

You're right about the short memories. If you can remember as far back as last season, we had 1 exceptional player that saved us from a relegation scrap. He's gone now.

I think you'll be in an extremely small minority if you think last season was full of "flair". It wasn't.

You're right about the short memories. If you can remember as far back as last season, we had 1 exceptional player that saved us from a relegation scrap. He's gone now.

I think you'll be in an extremely small minority if you think last season was full of "flair". It wasn't.
    I think you're being harsh with your first two paragraphs and overly critical. It's all about opinions mate and you're entitled to yours.

With the last one you're showing that you aren't truly digesting what you're quoting and perhaps letting anger with the club get in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post
    I think you're being harsh with your first two paragraphs and overly critical. It's all about opinions mate and you're entitled to yours.

With the last one you're showing that you aren't truly digesting what you're quoting and perhaps letting anger with the club get in the way.
    I don't think i'm being too critical at all. I think as a club, we're not nearly critical enough. We put up with far more ***** than any other club. Why is this?

You're right about one thing though. I am angry.

No, i'm furious.

First Team Breakthrough BVB Hibs's Avatar

Agreed, last season the squad was awful, but we had LG to pull us through it. The goals he scored that came out of absolutely nowhere were the only reason we had a sniff of the top 6 last year. Last year we had probably the most dull side in the league and those talking about negative football this year should look at how we were set up last year, when it really was route one and we were disgraceful in defence.

I'm actually not too worried about flair in the side. I actually thought there wasn't too far too go from yesterday til we actually have some decent attacking football, composure was poor and we could do with some pace somewhere. There's still too much long ball football being played, but compared to last year we look like Barcelona. Our best attacks came from legitimately good play, and while I'd like to see more of it it's certainly a start.

This talk of regression is a joke. We've finally looked solid at the back. We conceded one off a lucky ball over the top and we've conceded one off a brilliant cross into the box. That's not poor defence, is just downright bad luck, we could easily have started with 2 clean sheets. Yesterday's team also had more attacking intent than the side had in the entirety of last year. We don't have a LG to pull us out this year, but I do have faith that goals can come from more than one player this year. What we need now though is the players to work had for each other and for the club. Maybe Fenlon isn't the manager to get the best out of the players, but as far as I'm concerned the two losses have not been down to tactical deficiencies, rather players regressing into a "same old same old" mentality on the park. Yesterday was the first time I've seen Fenlon look genuinely annoyed on the sideline, and in the second half it seemed to be when we played a ridiculous long ball over the top. Maybe he isn't the problem eh? There's too much blame attached to the manager within British football, and that's why we'll never have the stability we see from many of the European sides.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot
    Quote Originally Posted by BVB Hibs View Post
    This talk of regression is a joke. We've finally looked solid at the back. We conceded one off a lucky ball over the top and we've conceded one off a brilliant cross into the box. That's not poor defence, is just downright bad luck, we could easily have started with 2 clean sheets.
    Have ye ever heard of Malmo ?

I can't believe some are STILL defending him. You can't be Hibs fans surely, or watch that week in week out? A fully fit Hibs team CAN'T pass the ball, a fully fit Hibs team CAN'T score goals.

Please, just please stop it with the "we might just get a wee break or a goal stuff". He's out his depth for Christ sakes. The football under him since he's came in has been so bad it's eye bleeding its not going to change he's had 2 years. Teams needs to gel aye? Like Caley and Dons teams do? Some folk just can't bring themselves to say he's ***** and they are wrong.

Sorry if that's harsh but it's like when someone is trapped in a daze and needs a good slap across the face to wake them out of it.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    I don't think i'm being too critical at all. I think as a club, we're not nearly critical enough. We put up with far more ***** than any other club. Why is this?

You're right about one thing though. I am angry.

No, i'm furious.
    Spot on.

As a group if fans we accept crap far too easily and come up with loads of excuses for it.

Finally most fans seem to be united on the removal of PF although it took some longer than others!

Funny how everyone is lucky when they play Hibs.

First Team Breakthrough BVB Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
    Have ye ever heard of Malmo ?
    Using Malmo as a judgement of anything is ridiculous. That was a horrendous game all round, simple as that. Every single player played awfully, and thus you can't use that as an accurate judgement of performance. Sure, Arsenal lost 8-2 to United a few years ago, does that mean they've an awful defence and an inept manager? Of course not, it means they put in an awful performance.

As far as I'm concerned that game is a write off, and any judgement of the side and Fenlon has to be made off the league campaign. Having one terrible result cloud your vision doesn't mean you can really put in an impartial opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    I can't believe some are STILL defending him. You can't be Hibs fans surely, or watch that week in week out? A fully fit Hibs team CAN'T pass the ball, a fully fit Hibs team CAN'T score goals.

Please, just please stop it with the "we might just get a wee break or a goal stuff". He's out his depth for Christ sakes. The football under him since he's came in has been so bad it's eye bleeding its not going to change he's had 2 years. Teams needs to gel aye? Like Caley and Dons teams do? Some folk just can't bring themselves to say he's ***** and they are wrong.

Sorry if that's harsh but it's like when someone is trapped in a daze and needs a good slap across the face to wake them out of it.
    Spot on.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot
    Using Malmo as a judgement of anything is ridiculous. That was a horrendous game all round, simple as that. Every single player played awfully, and thus you can't use that as an accurate judgement of performance. Sure, Arsenal lost 8-2 to United a few years ago, does that mean they've an awful defence and an inept manager? Of course not, it means they put in an awful performance.

As far as I'm concerned that game is a write off, and any judgement of the side and Fenlon has to be made off the league campaign. Having one terrible result cloud your vision doesn't mean you can really put in an impartial opinion.
    Get off your high horse. You chose to ignore the Malmo game(s) to emphasise your 'bad luck' theory. Have you considered the SPFL games this season are the exception rather than the rule. A much changed Motherwell side and a glorified U20 team. Its not 'bad luck' when you lose a goal with a header from midfield over the top beats your whole defence as happened against 'well. Was it 'good luck' when Williams saved 10 minutes earlier in that game when again one ball beat the whole defence for an identical chance.
    Those foreign teams never sack their managers.

Some folk need to get a grip. It's not just the start of this season. We were dire last season and if it weren't for Leigh we'd have been in serious do-do. I have no problem losing games but the way we go about it is ridiculous and is totally unwatchable at times. What's the point of setting up the team not to get beat every week if we keep getting beat every week? It's Fenlon who sets the formation and tactics (lets just hoof it up the park) so it's Fenlon who carry's the can. That squad should be good enough to compete in this league and we just need a manager who'll let them off the leash and go play. NOT someone who sets them up to NOT get beat against an U20s team of fuds.

@hibs.net private member tamsonsbairn's Avatar

Bad luck

Although I don't believe in such a thing as bad or good luck I think our club hasn't been the same since we sacked Franck Sauze. I reckon there is a curse on our club since then. Whatever happened at that time has left a big scar on Francks heart, for a man who professed his love for our club to have nothing to do with us since then says it all. There is,as said so many times by other people something deeply wrong within our club, all the management changes etc can't all be bad appointments. I think we almost found the root of the problem when John Collins was manager with the players revolt and not backing him financially, I think there was more to it than just these two, what, I cannot put my finger on but the sooner we can resolve this the better. I am not one of the ones to call for the managers head, I will leave that decision to the board, I will stand behind my team no matter what, like many people I have been a season ticket holder for god knows how long and before that a pay at the gate customer. Does anybody have a theory on why we are so bad, be interested to hear any. :pfgwa

OH....MY.... GOD!!

Arsenal didnt go into that game playing eye bleeding football or suffering from horrific cup final results did they? To even compare the two teams ends this discussion for me.

Apologies the team formation never went to plan was meant to read

williams

Clancy mcpake nelson mcgivern

harris Thomson Craig cairney

Vine collins

or

williams

clancy mcpake nelson mcgivern

Thomson. Craig

harris. Cairney. ViNe

Collins
    That's where your point falls down to me.
    Most would agree we have a decent SPFL squad, lack of depth in a couple of areas.

We should be putting a team on the park that can compete with the better teams.
    We aren't competing, we don't seem to have a game plan, players consistently out of position, balance all wrong.
    Play 4 5 1 and just miss out the midfield completely, is that it.

There is being unlucky and digging a hole for yourself. Time to stop digging IMO.

@hibs.net private member
    I'd agree we were unlucky to lose to both Hearts and Motherwell. The issue however is that we didn't create a single chance over the whole 180 minutes.

Its all good and well talking about 'luck' in but in no way we did we look even close to winning either game. The best we could have got out the last 2 games was 0-0 draws, combined with eye bleeding football and a team that cant pass a ball.

I think another poster said it but it your team cant pass a ball or create any chances you wont win football matches, simple as that, nothing to do with luck.

The Malmo and 1-5 cup final were unforgivable results but I think what has really got to most fans the last 2 games is not just that we've lost, its the way we've lost.

No attacking threat, a team that cant seem to pace a ball, no pace, no width, no creativity, no entertainment.

That combined with the Malmo and Hearts results is simply unacceptable.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Makaveli View Post
    This x100.

5 competitive games in a row without a goal isnae unlucky, its pish!
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 12-08-2013 at 12:46 PM.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Makaveli View Post

And it's equally strange that we're the only team that apparently suffer from bad luck, injuries and suspensions.