hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pace, Width and Creativity

We don't have any. With Harris injured and no Griffiths this flaw in the squad is becoming even more apparent. No wingers and no proper fullbacks although when McGivern came on today he initially improved things. I actually think PF has assembled a reasonable bunch of players, certainly an improvement from Coco - it's just a shame they all seem to be defensive midfielders. McCourt coming in might help. I don't see Stanton being the answer just now. Solutions?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Crab apple View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We don't have any. With Harris injured and no Griffiths this flaw in the squad is becoming even more apparent. No wingers and no proper fullbacks although when McGivern came on today he initially improved things. I actually think PF has assembled a reasonable bunch of players, certainly an improvement from Coco - it's just a shame they all seem to be defensive midfielders. McCourt coming in might help. I don't see Stanton being the answer just now. Solutions?
    We need at least one wide player to come in before the end of the month, that will allow Craig to go into his best position, which is in the middle just behind the strikers.

A midfield of;

McCourt
    Thomson
    Robertson
    Craig

Would hopefully do quite well.

It was one of the key problems when Fenlon took over.

It's still a problem now. Go figure.

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    We have a right winger at the club, Mullen came through the youth ranks at Tiny as a right winger, only when needed he covered at right back (ala spoony!) proved today he is not the greatest tackler. mind you that might solve the right wing issue but would still need a right back!

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

I suppose that's what I was getting at PB. Given we can all see it's a problem why can't he? The only signing rumours we hear about are Claros who is a good player but would only add to the DM overload. Fenlon's not going to resign although I think if we're put out in the League Cup by lower league opposition again then Petrie might be forced to act.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    We need at least one wide player to come in before the end of the month, that will allow Craig to go into his best position, which is in the middle just behind the strikers.

A midfield of;

McCourt
    Thomson
    Robertson
    Craig

Would hopefully do quite well.
    What has Craig done to show you he can be successful playing out wide?

Quote Originally Posted by lr19 View Post
    Eh?

I said at the start of that post what I would do with Craig.

I dont think pace is everything ,if you can beat your opponent then attack and run into the space the momentum is then with you . I think the problem is nobody seems able or willing to do so. Is it lack of confidence or team instructions?

@hibs.net private member
    With Harris injured for a while we need to sign a couple of wingers and possibly someone in midfield who plays more centrally that can bridge the gap between defence and attack. Robertson and Craig may be able to achieve this but wide players are essential.

I also think our fullbacks need to get forward more, the OP is right that McGivern made a difference going forward today and I'd really like to see us getting the ball out wide to someone like McCourt, McGivern overlapping on and then people like Robertson and Craig getting into the box or offering options centrally.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Played many games there for st Johnstone?

inclluding some great performances there against us.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Craig's never a wide player

Coaching Staff
    Our chairman prefers rugby and is on record as saying it - he's done a good job allowing the manager to put together a rugby team. Slow, cumbersome, physical and nearly always put the ball over the bar. Pat wouldn't know a pacy player if it ran past him like Speedy Gonzales, did a few megs on him, then slotted it into the net - clearly he doesn't like wingers, it's obvious.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post
    We have a right winger at the club, Mullen came through the youth ranks at Tiny as a right winger, only when needed he covered at right back (ala spoony!) proved today he is not the greatest tackler. mind you that might solve the right wing issue but would still need a right back!
    He is far too slow to be a right winger.

Fenton is stuck in the Irish league which looks individually at players and their skill rather than building a gelling, physical team with pace to fight opposition.

Only need one or two crafty players to build a winning team around.

If Paddy McCourt is the answer to all our problems then we really are Donald Ducked.

I do agree though, we're in dire need of some pace through out the team.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    If Paddy McCourt is the answer to all our problems then we really are Donald Ducked.

I do agree though, we're in dire need of some pace through out the team.
    Rod Petrie standing aside, getting in a Director of Football, is the answer the Hibs problems - and if someone wants to buy the club off Tom, then perfect.

The problem is in the DNA of the club now, and Rod has been at the helm for all the failed years - surely to anybody, not just the most ardent Hibs fan, the answer is clear. Remove Rod Petrie.

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    He is far too slow to be a right winger.
    This! How can a professional of his age be so slow?

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    Eh?

I said at the start of that post what I would do with Craig.
    I apologize, never read it properly.

Pretty sure Stanton is a centre midfielder being played out of position, classic Pat Fenlon.
    Last edited by mentalhibee; 12-08-2013 at 05:52 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    What do these 3 words mean?

We don't have wide midfielders so why set your team up with players who can't play that position well, with the players we have a narrow midfield is what we get, so you need to get your fullbacks pushing up the park to add width (with the defensive midfielder covering for them) and let the attacking-most midfielder (Craig?) get on the ball with options ahead of and wide of him to spread and move the play around.

McGivern has shown before her can provide width and energy and we need Mullen or whoever on the opposite flank to do the same if we don't sign any wide players!

---------------Williams
    -----Mullen Nelson Hanlon McGivern
    --------------Thomson
    ----------Robertson Taiwo
    ---------------Craig
    ------------Vine Collins

Can this work?!?

Thumbs Down

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Rod Petrie standing aside, getting in a Director of Football, is the answer the Hibs problems - and if someone wants to buy the club off Tom, then perfect.

The problem is in the DNA of the club now, and Rod has been at the helm for all the failed years - surely to anybody, not just the most ardent Hibs fan, the answer is clear. Remove Rod Petrie.
    Absolutely correct.
    However with STF having said that he could do with another 100 Petries
    during an AGM a couple of years ago the possibility of this happening is
    very remote as it would make Tam look foolish, and that is something his ego
    would not allow.
    The whole club is stagnating under Rod's direction and our absentee owner
    is incapable of addressing the issue.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post

We need a right back anyway. I think a lot of our problems come from full back, we don't defend well in that area and we get very little going forward. With all our defensive midfielders to provide cover we should be able to get two attacking full backs out there to provide pace and width, instead we get slow cumbersome guys like Clancy or Stevenson who give us nothing positive.

Title of the thread sums it up perfectly.

Most goals result from one of the following:
    - killer pass
    - pace into space behind a defence
    - beating a man to get a cross or cut back in

Been a while since we've had players who can do any of the above on a regular basis and Leigh Griffiths last season simply masked this with consistent individual brilliance.

We're utterly woeful in the final third.

@hibs.net private member TrinityHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Our chairman prefers rugby and is on record as saying it - he's done a good job allowing the manager to put together a rugby team. Slow, cumbersome, physical and nearly always put the ball over the bar. Pat wouldn't know a pacy player if it ran past him like Speedy Gonzales, did a few megs on him, then slotted it into the net - clearly he doesn't like wingers, it's obvious.
    None of that shower that turned up yesterday would get a look in on a rugby field. A rugby team is made up of a combination of body forms and players who offer something different. To suggest Carlin Isles or Brian Habana are slow is just wrong. Rugby teams generally play as a unit, support each other, offer a lot of movement, offer a lot of commitment, possess basic game skills, have at least one playmaker, look to move forward at all times, have two pacey wingers and do not accept passengers. You see where I am going with this one. They also generally win as a team or lose as a team and don't look for scapegoats but that's another thread.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by TrinityHibs View Post
    None of that shower that turned up yesterday would get a look in on a rugby field. A rugby team is made up of a combination of body forms and players who offer something different. To suggest Carlin Isles or Brian Habana are slow is just wrong. Rugby teams generally play as a unit, support each other, offer a lot of movement, offer a lot of commitment, possess basic game skills, have at least one playmaker, look to move forward at all times, have two pacey wingers and do not accept passengers. You see where I am going with this one. They also generally win as a team or lose as a team and don't look for scapegoats but that's another thread.
    I like rugby myself mate - I was comparing Hibs players to a poor rugby teams forward set up - the kind of set up that's been out the night before up the Cowgate,got in at 3am, half eaten kebab and curly wurly wrapper on the floor, shrapnel in pockets, slept in and then asked to play football half asleep 😊

@hibs.net private member Dirkster23's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    We don't have wide midfielders so why set your team up with players who can't play that position well, with the players we have a narrow midfield is what we get, so you need to get your fullbacks pushing up the park to add width (with the defensive midfielder covering for them) and let the attacking-most midfielder (Craig?) get on the ball with options ahead of and wide of him to spread and move the play around.

McGivern has shown before her can provide width and energy and we need Mullen or whoever on the opposite flank to do the same if we don't sign any wide players!

---------------Williams
    -----Mullen Nelson Hanlon McGivern
    --------------Thomson
    ----------Robertson Taiwo
    ---------------Craig
    ------------Vine Collins

Can this work?!?
    Not when the manager sends the team out to defend right from the off.
    Happy as Larry!

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Yes - and what does Fenlon do to address the lack of pace, width and creativity. Bring in players who lack all three! Baffling!

First Team Breakthrough Persevere80's Avatar
    The three key factors the club has been missing for a while now and this is why we are in the trouble we are in.

Quote Originally Posted by The Leith Dutch View Post
    Title of the thread sums it up perfectly.

Most goals result from one of the following:
    - killer pass
    - pace into space behind a defence
    - beating a man to get a cross or cut back in

Been a while since we've had players who can do any of the above on a regular basis and Leigh Griffiths last season simply masked this with consistent individual brilliance.

We're utterly woeful in the final third.

Quote of the day for me. This sums up how i feel.

Three years on and it's still the same