hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Flares on Sunday

FOOTBALL fans have been warned against using flares at this weekend's Edinburgh derby.

A supporter was injured when flares were thrown at Tynecastle stadium the last time Hibernian took on Hearts in May.

Police say fans face arrest and a future match ban if caught acting dangerously at the ground on Sunday.

Superintendent Gavin Philip said: "While the vast majority of supporters attending the match will do so in a manner which will allow both them and their fellow supporters to enjoy the event, there are a small minority who are determined to put themselves and others in danger by throwing flares.

"It is only a matter of time before someone suffers a serious injury due to their actions and, as such, we will work with both clubs and stewards to do all we can to prevent such dangerous behaviour.

"An enhanced policing presence will be in place and searches will be carried out on those who are suspected of carrying flares, both inside and outside the ground."

The police have the support of both clubs.

David Southern, Hearts managing director, said: "No right-minded football fan of either club should want to expose their club and its supporters to safety threats and football sanctions. It's really not worth it and we would urge supporters not to take flares to the ground.

"We are confident that we'll be able to put on a great advert for Scottish football on Sunday."

A Hibs spokesman said: "Hibernian Football Club fully supports Police Scotland's stance and cannot ever condone any form of anti-social behaviour at matches.

"The only talking point to emerge from Sunday's Edinburgh derby at Tynecastle should be the 90 minutes of football and we urge all of our supporters to conduct themselves in the appropriate manner."

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Does this mean we'll encounter the same over-zealous policing between the bridges Bawbags.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does this mean we'll encounter the same over-zealous policing between the bridges Bawbags.
    Setting off flares gives then the reason to do what they want. It's up to those taking them in as to whether it's a price worth paying.
    (I enjoy them but they are illegal.)
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    I only hope that both sets of fans are being treated equally here. So if hibs fans have been told not to use flares then hearts fans have surely been told not to wear them.

So smoke bombs are fine then :)

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    I turned the clock back to my youth and domination of Hearts by getting black Adidas Sambas, they are now five derbies undefeated and will be worn again on Sunday.

However I am drawing the line at wearing flares or my high waister cords.

I can't see the point of throwing the flares on the pitch cos the Lothian and Borders Finest will simply arrest the guy standing in his boxers.

Roll on Sunday.

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MixuPutALineOn View Post
    FOOTBALL fans have been warned against using flares at this weekend's Edinburgh derby.

A supporter was injured when flares were thrown at Tynecastle stadium the last time Hibernian took on Hearts in May.

Police say fans face arrest and a future match ban if caught acting dangerously at the ground on Sunday.

Superintendent Gavin Philip said: "While the vast majority of supporters attending the match will do so in a manner which will allow both them and their fellow supporters to enjoy the event, there are a small minority who are determined to put themselves and others in danger by throwing flares.

"It is only a matter of time before someone suffers a serious injury due to their actions and, as such, we will work with both clubs and stewards to do all we can to prevent such dangerous behaviour.

"An enhanced policing presence will be in place and searches will be carried out on those who are suspected of carrying flares, both inside and outside the ground."

The police have the support of both clubs.

David Southern, Hearts managing director, said: "No right-minded football fan of either club should want to expose their club and its supporters to safety threats and football sanctions. It's really not worth it and we would urge supporters not to take flares to the ground.

"We are confident that we'll be able to put on a great advert for Scottish football on Sunday."

A Hibs spokesman said: "Hibernian Football Club fully supports Police Scotland's stance and cannot ever condone any form of anti-social behaviour at matches.

"The only talking point to emerge from Sunday's Edinburgh derby at Tynecastle should be the 90 minutes of football and we urge all of our supporters to conduct themselves in the appropriate manner."

That's great news, I take it they have either fixed their shanty town stand or tore it down then, happy days

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Setting off flares gives then the reason to do what they want. It's up to those taking them in as to whether it's a price worth paying.
    (I enjoy them but they are illegal.)

Does it though.

The police need a reason to stop and search you, just because a few smoke bombs were let of at the last derby doesn't give them reason to search you on Sunday.

Heavy handed tactics imo.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Does it though.

The police need a reason to stop and search you, just because a few smoke bombs were let of at the last derby doesn't give them reason to search you on Sunday.

Aye ..& what do you think their reason will be ? ..

Fill yer boots Silv.

http://www.urban75.org/football/rights.html

Edit prob English law but Scots won't be too much difference. Section 60 is a catch all

Quote Originally Posted by wearethehibs View Post
    So smoke bombs are fine then :)
    Beat me to it.

FOOTBALL fans have been warned against singing loudly at this weekend's Edinburgh derby.

A supporter was injured when loud singing was notable among an aggressive minority at Tynecastle stadium the last time Hibernian took on Hearts in May.

Superintendent Gavin Philip said: "While the vast majority of supporters attending the match will do so in a manner which will allow both them and their fellow supporters to enjoy the event, there are a small minority who are determined to put themselves and others in danger by singing offensive songs at an unnacceptable volume."

A Police Scotland spokesman was not available to comment on those reckless supporters who insist on standing at matches, but it's thought that possible measures for violent, persistent standers include slaughter of their firstborn child and/or mandatory castration.

Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    Aye ..& what do you think their reason will be ? ..

So does every driver get stopped by the police on Ferry Rd because some one got caught speeding there last week.

No need for the heavy handed tactics by the police on Hibs fans, will the yams attending the game be treated to the same police tactics, i doubt it.

Does it though.

I agree it's heavy handed. They have their excuse though. I am guessing it won't affect me so much as the younger guys who will be targeted.
    So you can relax too.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

So does every driver get stopped by the police on Ferry Rd because some one got caught speeding there last week.

No need for the heavy handed tactics by the police on Hibs fans, will the yams attending the game be treated to the same police tactics, i doubt it.
    Im talking aboot the game on Sun, no driving along Ferry road..for years I was searched before going into tynie, doesn't bother me in the slightest ..if you have nowt tae hide then you have nowt tae worry aboot ..you know the drill ..

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
    Fill yer boots Silv.

http://www.urban75.org/football/rights.html

Edit prob English law but Scots won't be too much difference. Section 60 is a catch all

Is under the bridge a confined area though, section 60 is a toughie

Anti-global protesters.

http://scalp.noflag.org.uk/legal-guide/#6
    Last edited by silverhibee; 09-08-2013 at 09:24 PM.

The policing last year was way over the top! The smokebombs were class though so hopefully folk manage to get them in.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    I turned the clock back to my youth and domination of Hearts by getting black Adidas Sambas, they are now five derbies undefeated and will be worn again on Sunday.

However I am drawing the line at wearing flares or my high waister cords.
    Grey trackies again then

flares.jpg Basically boys and girls we cant dress like this on Sunday

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    The policing last year was way over the top! The smokebombs were class though so hopefully folk manage to get them in.
    Magic outlook Frazer - thus risking Hibs getting at the very least a 4 figure fine, someone injured amongst our own and then risking not getting into Easter Road after a court ban - aye, they're class right enough. I want fans going to games, not banned from grounds and watching in pubs.

Until the law changes regards flares etc, just gonnae no - it risks the club being punished financially and then makes police presence far more likely to be 'robust' rather than friendly.

Im talking aboot the game on Sun, no driving along Ferry road..for years I was searched before going into tynie, doesn't bother me in the slightest ..if you have nowt tae hide then you have nowt tae worry aboot ..you know the drill ..

Its not the being searched as you enter the ground i am concerned about, i understand that, what i don't get is the heavy handed tactics at the bridge well before you are near the ground and the way every Hibs fan is stopped and searched by Scottish Police, this won't happen to the yams as they enter the ground and they have the more previous for throwing flares at derbies, if they did do it they might find some stoopid yam with some medals in there pocket, so why are the Hibs fans being targeted for the heavy handed tactics as we go there.

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Magic outlook Frazer - thus risking Hibs getting at the very least a 4 figure fine, someone injured amongst our own and then risking not getting into Easter Road after a court ban - aye, they're class right enough. I want fans going to games, not banned from grounds and watching in pubs.

Until the law changes regards flares etc, just gonnae no - it risks the club being punished financially and then makes police presence far more likely to be 'robust' rather than friendly.

Who cares, if you have nothing to hide then why you so bothered about being searched?!

What else could you possibly be carrying; keys, wallet/money, packet of chewing gum and yer ticket.

If searching folk for stuff that is ILLEGAL makes it a safer placer to watch the game, why does it bother folk so much?

Flares weren't set off at the derby in may, smokebombs yes.

Either way we all know that they mean smokebombs too, and I'm not going to the game but I know people who are and will have the urge to continue use. I'm not friends with them but it's obvious someone will set them off.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage East View Post
    FOOTBALL fans have been warned against singing loudly at this weekend's Edinburgh derby.

A supporter was injured when loud singing was notable among an aggressive minority at Tynecastle stadium the last time Hibernian took on Hearts in May.

Superintendent Gavin Philip said: "While the vast majority of supporters attending the match will do so in a manner which will allow both them and their fellow supporters to enjoy the event, there are a small minority who are determined to put themselves and others in danger by singing offensive songs at an unnacceptable volume."

A Police Scotland spokesman was not available to comment on those reckless supporters who insist on standing at matches, but it's thought that possible measures for violent, persistent standers include slaughter of their firstborn child and/or mandatory castration.
    Outstanding

After reading the title of the thread I thought the '70s Bar that was opposite Ryans had opened up again! ;-)

Been stopped and searched at better places that Tynecastle, cant say it bothers me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day View Post
    Been stopped and searched at better places that Tynecastle, cant say it bothers me at all.
    Same, every bloody time at airports ..even got fired intae the x-ray machine at Glasgow airport a couple o months ago !! ..

Wink

Same, every bloody time at airports ..even got fired intae the x-ray machine at Glasgow airport a couple o months ago !! ..
    Never get fricked by the good looking blonde girl always the old fst ugly guy

Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    People refusing to follow the ground rules is the reason everyone will be getting searched going into the ground in the first place. And it's why sets of erseholes like the Green Brigade now find themselves emptied from Septic Park.

It's illegal to bring them, it's causing hassle for fellow fans and it's far from 'class'
    Last edited by Barney McGrew; 10-08-2013 at 08:49 AM.