hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Significance of this derby

Ok it's already a massive game just for being a derby and potentially the last ever at Tynie but this is a huge game for both clubs as a marker for the season ahead.

For them this is already the most important game of the season. Needing to make inroads in to their points deficit they will have a huge baying crowd cheering them on, a siege mentality, young laddies running around and flying in to tackles. A win will give them the confidence boost and hope to push on and make up the points.

Us, we are low on confidence, creativity and pace but a victory here would go a long way to helping our confidence to return. Even a draw whilst not the result we want or indeed not enough maybe to kep Fenlon in a job will keep us 15 points ahead of them and put a dent in their hopes.

Whilst we may be two of the poorer teams in the league a win for us could actually confirm their status as the leagues's whipping boys for the year. Let's do it.

Hopefully Fenlon instills this in the team and goes for it.
    Last edited by Part/Time Supporter; 09-08-2013 at 12:26 PM. Reason: not yams specific

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok it's already a massive game just for being a derby and potentially the last ever at Tynie but this is a huge game for both clubs as a marker for the season ahead.

For them this is already the most important game of the season. Needing to make inroads in to their points deficit they will have a huge baying crowd cheering them on, a siege mentality, young laddies running around and flying in to tackles. A win will give them the confidence boost and hope to push on and make up the points.

Us, we are low on confidence, creativity and pace but a victory here would go a long way to helping our confidence to return. Even a draw whilst not the result we want or indeed not enough maybe to kep Fenlon in a job will keep us 15 points ahead of them and put a dent in their hopes.

Whilst we may be two of the poorer teams in the league a win for us could actually confirm their status as the leagues's whipping boys for the year. Let's do it.

Hopefully Fenlon instills this in the team and goes for it.
    It's massive - Crazy thinking..IF we managed to beat them x3 times this season that would mean 9 points - with the -15 mark - we could play a massive part to relegating them as the gap of points they need to stay up would be even harder to make up.

Though this is Hibs and derbies...Gary Cocke will have them fired up more than ever - if we aren't up for this one then we really have problems.

Love or dislike Fenlon - everyone has to pull in the same direction Sunday

Anything other than a Hibs win is unthinkable. To lose to them on Sunday, when they're in such a state, is totally unacceptable.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Anything other than a Hibs win is unthinkable. To lose to them on Sunday, when they're in such a state, is totally unacceptable.
    This was my thinking pre season until we got gubbed by Malmo and lost to Motherwell with a team that looks low in confidence. A draw won't be the end of the world and could steady the ship but agree a defeat would be a disaster Mikey.

Testimonial Due
    Agreed that its unacceptable, but sadly it's not unlikely. Their team isn't significantly weaker than the last time we played them. From what I've seen so far, our team is.
    I think this has 0-0 written all over it.

This was my thinking pre season until we got gubbed by Malmo and lost to Motherwell with a team that looks low in confidence. A draw won't be the end of the world and could steady the ship but agree a defeat would be a disaster Mikey.
    Nah, win only for me. We've got players coming back into contention and should be brushing their U21 team aside.

Anyone who watched hearts last night on Alba will see exactly how bad they are. They honestly were terrible. To lose to them would be horrific and from the poorest hearts team in my memory.

Nah, win only for me. We've got players coming back into contention and should be brushing their U21 team aside.
    Spot on, exactly what I was going to post.

This is like the scene in Star wars when they have to destroy the Death Star. It's all or nothing and the fate of the whole galaxy relies upon it.

Darth (Locke) Vader is hissing away, plotting to destroy all that stands in his path. Use the force, Luke.. eh, sorry, Pat.

They are so weakened that a draw is a defeat IMO.

It's the hibs way that even though hearts are in complete turmoil and playing u21 side I'm still not overly confident about it.

We need to finally enjoy these Derbys and a good early goal is vital.

Quote Originally Posted by Makaveli View Post
    I hate to say it but still think they carry more of a goal threat than us. We can't keep clean sheets and can't score.

This is a huge derby IMO. Their young laddies will be right fired up for this. To beat us would be the much needed morale boost they need atm with everythings thats going on.

As mentioned above lets put the baying for Fenlons head to one side, we need to go in to this derby with togetherness. The jambos will no doubt be giving Fenlon it tight so lets not join them in doing it aswell. Love him or hate him, lets get right behind him and the boys on Sunday.

Come on the hibees

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Makaveli View Post
    This is the kind of arrogance that has undone us before. A st Johnstone team much better than us only won 1-0 at home.

The pressure and tension in this game is going to be massive and whilst we are still not playing our strongest team they very much are playing their strongest team and it's a derby at Tynie and as we know anything can happen.

A win for either side is going to be a massive springboard for the season ahead.

This is a MUST win. Put aside arguments about the future for a day and back the Hibees

not going into this one over confident despite them having a weak side. We all know what hibs are like when it comes to derbies. We need to get an early goal and start frustrate them from the start. Normally hearts have a big physical side and use 'bully boy" tactics to out muscle us. This time, their squad doesn't have the same amount of physical presence.

First Team Breakthrough
    Only a win will do on Sunday. We need to go there & go at them from the start, an early goal for us and their young lads will panic as the derby will be a lot different to the atmosphere they had at St Johnstone.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenPJ View Post
    I hate to say it but still think they carry more of a goal threat than us. We can't keep clean sheets and can't score.
    Says it all, really ... if only Fenlon realised this too.
    Last edited by PeeJay; 05-08-2013 at 06:26 PM.

First Team Breakthrough McLeod1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: WeepHFC
    110% must win for Fenlon, even a draw could see him being forced to walk. They are a shambles at the moment and for us not to take 3 points off them is embarrassing IMO. Can't say I'm too confident cause our side aren't much better and Fenlon's useless tactics aren't going to get us goals. Anyway I will be there in full voice and really hope to see us sell out the away end like we used to, if we win it will be a full on party!!! Glory Glory.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenStar View Post
    It's massive - Crazy thinking..IF we managed to beat them x3 times this season that would mean 9 points - with the -15 mark - we could play a massive part to relegating them as the gap of points they need to stay up would be even harder to make up.

Though this is Hibs and derbies...Gary Cocke will have them fired up more than ever - if we aren't up for this one then we really have problems.

Love or dislike Fenlon - everyone has to pull in the same direction Sunday
    Im sure locke had them fired up against st johnstone,didnt work though

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    I've got a feeling Rowan Vine will get his first goal for us on Sunday.

First Team Breakthrough DanHFC1875's Avatar
    I think it's already a joke under Fenlon. Would love a resounding victory to put a smile right back on everyone's faces. 7-0 anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by South Sub View Post
    I've got a feeling Rowan Vine will get his first goal for us on Sunday.
    Was thinking the same about Collins, and Caldwell has a good record v them from youth team upwards

This is the kind of arrogance that has undone us before. A st Johnstone team much better than us only won 1-0 at home.

The pressure and tension in this game is going to be massive and whilst we are still not playing our strongest team they very much are playing their strongest team and it's a derby at Tynie and as we know anything can happen.

A win for either side is going to be a massive springboard for the season ahead.
    When is before? There is no precedent for a Hearts side being anything like this weak. This is a new situation and there is no excuse for not beating them.

I think this is a bigger game for us to be honest. Hearts have less to prove in Edinburgh derbies and given the **** they're in just now, there's probably less pressure on them than normal.

We've had one disgraceful result and one poor result, if we lose to a makeshift hearts team, there'll be an outcry.

We have to win and they have to win. Huge game.

Sadly after recent performances we are likely to have less than a full stand backing us, the team only have themselves to blame for that though.

Hopefully those of us who are there can put our differences aside for the day and roar us to what I think will be a nervy 1-0 win.

First Team Breakthrough DanHFC1875's Avatar
    I'm struggling to see how my avatar, Pep Fenlon, will put out an attacking team at tynie when he set up so negatively at home. I hope he gets the result he, hibs, everyone needs. Just play collins, vine and caldwell. GGTTH ps. If two striker do get injured during the game. He'll just end up with the amount of strikers he prefers to play at home in first game of the season. Inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenPJ View Post
    They have not got a decent forward to speak of, even the Yams think they will have trouble scoring this season.

Not 1 shot on target yesterday, where will their goal threat come from?

If we approach this game with confidence & are not intimidated by their fans we should win.

There is no way their team carry much of a goal threat.

A draw might be ok, for me it depends on how we get it if it ended up that way.
    Get it by defending then GTF, get it by having a decent go then it's acceptable from where we are just now.

I can't call it until the team is announced, he needs to get us set up right.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    I think it will be a situation of 3 points, or Pat walking right there and then.

Sure, they'll be fired up to maximum for this one. But shouldn't we be fired up to maximum as well?

If both teams are fired up to maximum, we'll beat them. If we don't beat them, its because Fenlon failed.