hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    First Team Regular

Target for this year

3rd Place as a minimum.

I look at our squad and we have by far a good enough squad to be sitting at least 3rd in this league this year. Anything below that will be a failure in my eyes, and I hope this is the kind of attitude and mentality that is now being installed within the dressing room.

Hard work, commitment and the ability to speed up play and act with urgency are vital this year.

As fans we have been kicked so many times but will continue to back this team as normal, time for a huge turnaround from the club itself.

Lets get it done

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Top 4 and I'd say we are improving.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Probably Hanlon or Stevenson.............................oops sorry I thought the title meant something else

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    I dont think we have a hope of finishing third. If we can get some organization in the team then we should finish around mid-table, but against the quicker/trickier teams I think we will get taken to the cleaners. A couple of good signings and I may feel differently, but thats my opinion about where we are right now.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by too_many_djs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dont think we have a hope of finishing third. If we can get some organization in the team then we should finish around mid-table, but against the quicker/trickier teams I think we will get taken to the cleaners. A couple of good signings and I may feel differently, but thats my opinion about where we are right now.
    That won't be good enough for me, we need to be top 4 and playing a style of football that doesn't bore people to death, anything else and fenlons contract shouldn't be renewed.

Realistically I think we have to look at top 6 being the minimum target based on the last few seasons.
    A good target would be 5th/4th
    I'd be hoping for third, but at this point I think we have to look at that as a stretch goal.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Surely the target from day one should be to win the league however unlikely that is, aspire to be first not second, third or even worse.

Avoid relegation.

;-)

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Top 4. Anything else is failure and should result in no contract renewal.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    That won't be good enough for me, we need to be top 4 and playing a style of football that doesn't bore people to death, anything else and fenlons contract shouldn't be renewed.
    I agree with you, especially when the league isnt all that great, but its just how I rate our chances.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Progress will be evident if we make the top 6, but I'm not pinning my hopes on any particular league position.

In a league as tight as ours (3 points separated the 3rd to 5th teams) too many factors outside our control can influence that (e.g. injuries, disallowed goals, non-penalties) so I'm not going to declare any particular finishing place as failure.

Just give me a team which looks like it knows what its doing. One which competes in every game from the start of the season till the end and which is in the mix for the Euro places come the split.

I want to see our midfield control games and use skill and guile to create opportunities for our strikers.

Anyone demanding 2nd or third as a minimum, clearly weren't at the Malmo game!
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by too_many_djs View Post
    I agree with you, especially when the league isnt all that great, but its just how I rate our chances.
    Correct, we accept failure to easily and this has to stop, by we I mean the club not the fans! Top 3 as a minimum anything less is not acceptable in this piss poor league.

A style of football that involves passes along the ground with purpose, movement on an off the ball, a quick tempo, a couple of players who get me off my seat when they have the ball and run at a player and just generally a style of play that doesn't have me thinking Bobby Williamson wasn't so bad after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Surely the target from day one should be to win the league however unlikely that is, aspire to be first not second, third or even worse.

With the physical pressence of our squad now being on par with Selick i would like to see us push on. Only thing missing is that consistent creative player that can unlock teams (maybe Collins) although, our midfield does have some intelligence in the likes of Thomson, Craig, Harris, OTJ, players that can find that final killer ball.

I would hope that our ambition is to secretly challenge. If we do challenge and we start to wilt away come March - April time I'd be happy.

Also I'd like to win the Scottish and get to the semi's at least in the League Cup.

So for me finishing the season in 2nd only 10 points behind the winner, win the Scottish and a semi appearance in the League Cup would i then renew Fenlon's contract.

The targets are being reevaluated. I guarantee that sixth in May will be painted as some sort of success.

First Team Breakthrough
    Think top 4 is what we should be hoping and aiming for. Although I'd be accepting of top 6 and a cup win. Hopefully we'l some nice football being played and some of the younger players achieving their potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Progress will be evident if we make the top 6, but I'm not pinning my hopes on any particular league position.

In a league as tight as ours (3 points separated the 3rd to 5th teams) too many factors outside our control can influence that (e.g. injuries, disallowed goals, non-penalties) so I'm not going to declare any particular finishing place as failure.

Just give me a team which looks like it knows what its doing. One which competes in every game from the start of the season till the end and which is in the mix for the Euro places come the split.

I want to see our midfield control games and use skill and guile to create opportunities for our strikers.

Anyone demanding 2nd or third as a minimum, clearly weren't at the Malmo game!
    Think the midweek Champs League game between Selick and Elfsborg proved the Swedes are no mugs, and Malmo are walking it.

We have also singed two players since then, with a couple more hopefully to come in, our league is poor and with 6 good players, 2nd is more than achievable.

Based on how we played last season, players out and in, and the quality of teams we are competing with

1st - Miracle
    2nd - Minor miracle
    3rd - Excellent
    4th - Good
    5-6th - Decent/OK
    7-8th - Poor
    9-10th - Grim
    11th - Unacceptable
    12th - Horror show

Still think a lot of teams around us are reasonably strong, and we have no idea yet how we will adapt to not having Griffiths. Hopefully it will encourage us to attack more/better...

Quote Originally Posted by JustSimplyHibs View Post

With the physical pressence of our squad now being on par with Selick i would like to see us push on. Only thing missing is that consistent creative player that can unlock teams (maybe Collins) although, our midfield does have some intelligence in the likes of Thomson, Craig, Harris, OTJ, players that can find that final killer ball.

I would hope that our ambition is to secretly challenge. If we do challenge and we start to wilt away come March - April time I'd be happy.

Also I'd like to win the Scottish and get to the semi's at least in the League Cup.

So for me finishing the season in 2nd only 10 points behind the winner, win the Scottish and a semi appearance in the League Cup would i then renew Fenlon's contract.
    Then we can all dream of European football nights at Easter Road...

First Team Breakthrough
    I think Motherwell will push for 2nd again but Aberdeen will be up there with then. Dundee Utd could be strong also. With Fenlon still at the helm i can't see Hibs above the likes of ICT, Ross County or St Johnstone, clubs with far less revenue than Hibs.
    If we finish in the top 6 with Fenlon i'd be extremely surprised but unless it's top 6 pushing for second i'd be extremely disappointed as it will be yet another season of failure in my eyes. I don't think those in charge realise how big a loss Claros will be. The replacements are no where near as good.

Maybe i set my targets to high but when i was introduced to football we were challenging for the league title, not worrying about a top 6 finish. There aren't 6 top clubs in Scotland and probably the biggest is in the 3rd division.
    Last edited by OrdHibby; 02-08-2013 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spike220 View Post
    Then we can all dream of European football nights at Easter Road...

Wouldnae go that far, let's get ourself sorted in our own country first before going that far...

Realistically top 6 and avoiding any further additions to the Fenlon Apology reel would probably do.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    We have to be looking at a top 4 finish. When everyone is fit that is a strong squad, we really need to get another good striker in though, if vine or collins gets injured i cant see us scoring many

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Top 6 with no capitulations.

I won't hope for amazing football either, like the myth that we are some sort of team well known for amazing football, in my life time we had the McLeish team and the Mowbray team really playing good football, the rest 50/50 sometimes good sometimes awful.

Win more than we lose, beat hearts as many times as possible, cup runs are a bonus.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Targets are relative to where we have been and how long and how much Pat has had to work with: -

- Top 3 should be the target
    - Would accept top 6 IF the football is good and entertaining and we are squeezed out to 5th or 6th by an exceptionally tight league
    - Missing out on top 6 on the last day of the split should see Fenlon leave at the end of his contract
    - Being nowhere near relegation but nowhere near top 6 after Christmas should see Fenlon removed
    - Anywhere close to the bottom of the league before Christmas should see him sacked
    - Another embarrassing result of any kind should be instant dismissal
    Last edited by Stevie Reid; 02-08-2013 at 08:38 AM.

First Team Breakthrough
    Oh aye. If we fail to win the first derby then FENLON should be sacked before he leaves the *****hole for the team bus.

With the present squad up to this point I'd guess that top 6 should be a realistic target.

Given the lack of Servco and Hearts at the basement we really should be aiming at top 3. There is one more season without Rangers (after this) and a good chance Hearts will be relegated and more so the next 2 seasons are critical if Hibs are to re-establish themselves at the top of Scottish football.

Given recent mediocrity and the loss of Grffiths my expectations are not high but frankly, given our resources against the others, top should be the Boards minimum target with perhaps a League Cup consolation prize.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    Targets are relative to where we have been and how long and how much Pat has had to work with: -

- Top 3 should be the target
    - Would accept top 6 IF the football is good and entertaining and we are squeezed out to 5th or 6th by an exceptionally tight league
    - Missing out on top 6 on the last day of the split should see Fenlon leave at the end of his contract
    - Being nowhere near relegation but nowhere near top 6 after Christmas should see Fenlon removed
    - Anywhere close to the bottom of the league before Christmas should see him sacked
    - Another embarrassing result of any kind should be instant dismissal
    Would go along with this. Regardless of the performance against Malmo, Fenlon has played the 'progress' card for long enough. Based on our resources and structural advantages 3rd has to be the target and if Fenlon doesn't get close to it (ie top 5/6) then I'd suggest he has to move on.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    A European spot by league position is the minimum i expect, anything else and its complete failure in my opinion.