hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Good Piece by Spiers in the Herald today

A painful read, but a good opinion piece by Graham Speirs in the Herald today. Not sure how to put in a link. It's hard to read but sometimes the truth hurts. Check it out, would be interested to know what others think....

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar

sad but so very true

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Pushovers for to long. He got that right.

Hibs have the heart of a mouse.

Sums up a collection of views from here and is accurate in summing up. He stops short of saying what needs to happen next yet it is obvious that those looking in from the outside see the problems that need fixing. No easy answers though.

Fenlon is lucky to still be in a job but must have a very short rope to play with now.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, I'm sorry, he's got it all wrong......

Falkirk weren't managed by Steven Pressley in the Cup Semi.

The rest is bang on.

Agreeing with Spiers goes against almost everything I stand for.

But that piece pretty much nails it.

As a club we are ridiculously soft and only actions as opposed to words will change that.

100% Spot on. Couple on here won't like it!! Everyone in the game knows what Petrie is like. He may get the odd deal and save a couple of pounds.

It's time there was a huge shake up at the club. Starting from the top. His choice of managers is Terrible. Thanks for steadying the ship but enough is enough.

110% spot on Mr Speirs

there will be others out there who could still steady the ship but do far, far better for this club!

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Who is going to buy petrie out though? there is no money to be made in scottish football unless you pump mega millions in to get into the latter stages of europe by which point you are probably only going to get back what you have spent anyway

A good article by Speirs seems to sum things up well.

Just find it hard to believe Fenlon is still with Hibs, he is obviously not up to the job and Thursday has left him mortally wounded.

Better to get someone new in now whilst there is still a month of the transfer window left and he has a chance to bring in his own players than leave it till later when there is no chance of this, Petrie needs to act now.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    A few points about Spiers article:

With our budget and league we play in more or less any managerial appointment is a bit of a gamble. But given his record in ROI Fenlon's appointment looked to be a decent one. Dundee Utd seemed to think he was worth appointing and they tend to do OK with their appointments.

Yet another reference to something being wrong at the heart of the club, but the only constant throughout our steady decline as players, managers and coaching staff and board members come and go is Rod Petrie. I fully believe he has far too much control over everything that happens at ER and Fenlon is the latest manager to find working with him to be "difficult"

It's been said before but if Fenlon does leave then Petrie has to follow him, otherwise I have no doubts we will find ourselves in a similar position in a few years.

100% correct in that piece.

We need a much more ruthless set up and must have an owner and a board that match what we want.

Far too many "sheep" at Easter Road, quite happy to trot away into the night after another embarrassing defeat and turn up at the next game as if nothing is wrong.

Time to show some steel and get this great club back on top.

I've said if for years now but like I always say It won't happen soon, I want STF to invite tenders to buy the club even just to test the water and see who comes forward with an offer, I think even he knows the system in place although a very good business set up just isn't working where it counts, on the pitch.

Hope it happens....very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia Na Eir View Post
    there will be others out there who could still steady the ship but do far, far better for this club!
    Not aimed at you but the phrase 'steadying the ship' gets right on my tits. It's such an uninspiring ambition to be given to any manager.

Can just see fans in the pub now:

'I really enjoyed that steady 1-1 draw', 'that narrow 1-0 defeat and dull performance was nice and steady', 'YES! A 7th place finish, steady does it'.

He has most of it correct. Though it's an awful result for us it does show how bad a 0-7 defeat at home is. Oh it must have destroyed the yams in 73. A result we must always be proud of.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Not aimed at you but the phrase 'steadying the ship' gets right on my tits. It's such an uninspiring ambition to be given to any manager.

Can just see fans in the pub now:

'I really enjoyed that steady 1-1 draw', 'that narrow 1-0 defeat and dull performance was nice and steady', 'YES! A 7th place finish, steady does it'.
    Spot on again. I think we usually disagree on stuff as well do we not.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Agreeing with Spiers goes against almost everything I stand for.

But that piece pretty much nails it.

As a club we are ridiculously soft and only actions as opposed to words will change that.
    I'm the same, I never agree with him but that is a very good article. Petrie fans will find that hard to swallow. Thing is most of us who want Petrie to go appreciate what he's done. But it's what he's now doing is the problem.

Any argument against him we just hear, but look at our neighbours!!! What folk dont understand is we won't go down that way, we're not stupid. But look at how good Well have done, or Ross County or ICT. Hibs need a new direction. People who are panicking if Petrie goes are either the ones he speaks to or the ones who get match day tickets from and can't see past him.

All I'm saying is look at the bigger picture here! We have had this man at the helm for a long, long time. He sorted us in a bad time and I'll always be thankful. But the past 4 years stink, maybe longer so I hope to god he leaves soon and a new man with a new vision takes us forward.

Who that man is? We don't know, that's what the owner of the clubs job is not mine.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    RP does the money side better than any other SFPL Chairman but his football judgment is suspect. Sometimes successful people lose sight of where their own abilities start and end and maybe it will take an equally strong and successful person to point that out. I would pay Geoff Brown at St Johnstone a hefty finders fee to get a new manager for us.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    A few points about Spiers article:

With our budget and league we play in more or less any managerial appointment is a bit of a gamble. But given his record in ROI Fenlon's appointment looked to be a decent one. Dundee Utd seemed to think he was worth appointing and they tend to do OK with their appointments.

Yet another reference to something being wrong at the heart of the club, but the only constant throughout our steady decline as players, managers and coaching staff and board members come and go is Rod Petrie. I fully believe he has far too much control over everything that happens at ER and Fenlon is the latest manager to find working with him to be "difficult"

It's been said before but if Fenlon does leave then Petrie has to follow him, otherwise I have no doubts we will find ourselves in a similar position in a few years.
    I'd agree with that . I think that's also the point Speirs is making . Without new leadership and a different ambition , nothing will change . Petrie has taken us nowhere for since Mowbray left . Frankly he has been too long in charge . All companies need fresh leadership and new thinking . His strategy has failed. He has failed to bring football success , failed with management appointments , failed to bring in new income and also failed to sell the club (although he has tried ) . New leadership , new ambition and new manager required .

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Yep, spot on.

We are a club with a great stadium, training complex and history, sadly we have no soul. This is what being sensibly run like a business does to a football club, which is why most football clubs are not run this way.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Everyone has a shelf life in football and Petrie is past his. I feel he should have walked after the whole calderwood debacle - appointing him was bad enough but to knock back money and then have to pay him off later showed a staggering lack of judgement that cost the club.

Left by mutual consent!
    The fact Petrie survived the whole CC debacle then got backed after it if I remember correctly by STF just shows how difficult change there is and that is key area needing a fix.

Petrie should have resigned the day he sacked CC.

Still can't believe Fenlon is still in a job.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    It may be standard practice across all clubs in Scotland, I don't know, but a source of frustration for Fenlon throughout his time at Hibs is how the playing budget is used. At all other clubs he was with he was given a budget and allowed to spend it however he saw fit. so if that meant he had a few high earners supplemented by a number of lower paid players that was his choice to make. Not so at Hibs where Petrie has full control. More than once Fenlon has been left wondering how he has lost out on players to the likes of Motherwell and St Mirren......

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    A painful read, but a good opinion piece by Graham Speirs in the Herald today. Not sure how to put in a link. It's hard to read but sometimes the truth hurts. Check it out, would be interested to know what others think....
    Yep,hes spot
    The feeling gets worse each day after that.
    Shame is there is no easy fix as i along with a lot of others thought we might be going places.

We should make andy webster an offer,yeah hes slow but good pro and would improve us at the back

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Does Rod Petrie not own part of the club? 10% perhaps?

If so he isn't just going to walk away now is he?

The choice of manager over the years has been poor, Mowbray, Collins and McLeish being the exception.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    Does Rod Petrie not own part of the club? 10% perhaps?

If so he isn't just going to walk away now is he?

The choice of manager over the years has been poor, Mowbray, Collins and McLeish being the exception.
    He can still be a shareholder without being Chairman.. He can still be ousted. It would require Farmer to want it to happen.

I don't fully understand company setups so apologies if this is ridiculous but -

Why can't Petrie run the business of the club and someone else be in charge of all the football related decisions?

Petrie would set the budget and then the football side of the business would run with it.