hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes

Lewis Stevenson, Professional Footballer? (merged)

I have been waiting for ages to make a thread about him and this is as good a time as any now we have truly hit rock bottom.

He is not a midfielder, he is not a right back, he is not a left back, he is not a professional footballer.

He has made a career out of being man of the match once in 2007, he seems unsackable.

I am sure he is a nice guy as well, but he is not even close to being a SPL level starting 11 player and never really has been.

I will be berated for this as I know he can do no wrong for some people here.

Other things from tonight, fantastic crowd, thousands of them put off never to return until the next cup final.

Pat Fenlon, why did you play an injured James McPake? Why was Lewis at right back? If Mullen was fit enough to come on 20 mins in he was fit enough to start.

Fenlon has to go if we start the season poorly, two of our worst results ever under his stewardship.

To the fans around me, cheer the **** up. Constantly hearing about how Rowan Vine is no Leigh Griffiths, Griffiths would have made 0 difference tonight, stop crying, he's gone. As soon as a hibs player has one bad touch the vitriol for them is astounding.

Let's not lay the blame 100% at the board and behind the scenes, we can pretend we are great fans but the amount of negativity is staggering.

If you left at 1-0 or 2-0 and chucked your scarf away, how many times have you actually watched hibs? Were you really unaware of the gulf in class between Malmo and ourselves, did you not see us play in the last two cup finals? Manage your expectations and you won't need to leave in a rage next time.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    better get the ready, although i've noticed a few of the wee lewis fan club are decidedly quiet tonight/recently, decent young laddie that gives his all(100%+ and that's a fact) but....infact...i think i'l leave it at that

p.s. cant say i heard any vitriol from anyone around me
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 25-07-2013 at 11:50 PM.

First Team Breakthrough
    Totally agree with OP. You can never question his effort but unfortunately theres more to playing football than effort. He cannot make a forward pass without stopping first. When any of the opposition show any signs of closing him down he turns back. In all my years watching football i have never seen a more negative player. He's terrified of losing the ball. He's a major part of the reason we under achieve as a club when guys like him are offered new contracts on their ability to show plenty effort but lack basic footballing skills like passing and movement off the ball.

To answer your question: yes, Lewis Stevenson is a professional footballer. He plays for Hibernian FC, one of a number of Scottish football clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by AllyF View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To answer your question: yes, Lewis Stevenson is a professional footballer. He plays for Hibernian FC, one of a number of Scottish football clubs.
    Yes he is. Yes he does. Yes we are. But he is and always will be pish

This is a night where you can't really have a go at Stevenson, he is a largely left sided midfielder who can do a turn for you as a left back. I'm pretty sure he din't ask to play at right back but will do so for the team when called upon, he put in quite a few decent performances at left back, equally at midfield and at times was one of our most consistent performers. A man with a brain the size of a pea could see he's very uncomfortable there but Fenlon for some weird strange reason likes to have players capable of playing in multi positions, what would be nice to see for a wee change is players playing in the positions best suited to their individual skills, it's not rocket science.

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
    I have been waiting for ages to make a thread about him and this is as good a time as any now we have truly hit rock bottom.

He is not a midfielder, he is not a right back, he is not a left back, he is not a professional footballer.

He has made a career out of being man of the match once in 2007, he seems unsackable.

I am sure he is a nice guy as well, but he is not even close to being a SPL level starting 11 player and never really has been.

Other things from tonight, fantastic crowd, thousands of them put off never to return until the next cup final.

Pat Fenlon, why did you play an injured James McPake? Why was Lewis at right back? If Mullen was fit enough to come on 20 mins in he was fit enough to start.

Fenlon has to go if we start the season poorly, two of our worst results ever under his stewardship.

To the fans around me, cheer the **** up. Constantly hearing about how Rowan Vine is no Leigh Griffiths, Griffiths would have made 0 difference tonight, stop crying, he's gone. As soon as a hibs player has one bad touch the vitriol for them is astounding.

Let's not lay the blame 100% at the board and behind the scenes, we can pretend we are great fans but the amount of negativity is staggering.

If you left at 1-0 or 2-0 and chucked your scarf away, how many times have you actually watched hibs? Were you really unaware of the gulf in class between Malmo and ourselves, did you not see us play in the last two cup finals? Manage your expectations and you won't need to leave in a rage next time.
    You won't be berated from me as I've been saying this for YEARS!

Alot of Hibs fans are completely off their heads when it comes to Lewis Stevenson, he is garbage, totally garbage. He lives off of ONE performance in the 2007 Cup Final, and as you say, he seems unsackable. Some Hibs fans have this very weird thing that if they are - a trier, small, hard tackler, cute, etc, then they are good enough to be in the squad, it's mind-blowing sometimes what Hibs fans will come out with regarding Lewis Stevenson.

Let me reiterate. Players such as Stevenson, Hanlon, Wotherspoon, are part of the reason for why Hibs have been so so poor for the past few years. However we will continue to persist (Wotherspoon aside in which I was DELIGHTED that sense was finally seen to get rid of him) with these jokers and be on the end of embarrassing results and performances like tonight.

Stevenson will continue to pop up in people match day teams no doubt. Bloody wake up guy's!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by OrdHibby View Post
    Totally agree with OP. You can never question his effort but unfortunately theres more to playing football than effort. He cannot make a forward pass without stopping first. When any of the opposition show any signs of closing him down he turns back. In all my years watching football i have never seen a more negative player. He's terrified of losing the ball. He's a major part of the reason we under achieve as a club when guys like him are offered new contracts on their ability to show plenty effort but lack basic footballing skills like passing and movement off the ball.
    After reading your post, this is it in a nutshell, well said!

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1 View Post
    This is a night where you can't really have a go at Stevenson, he is a largely left sided midfielder who can do a turn for you as a left back. I'm pretty sure he din't ask to play at right back but will do so for the team when called upon, he put in quite a few decent performances at left back, equally at midfield and at times was one of our most consistent performers. A man with a brain the size of a pea could see he's very uncomfortable there but Fenlon for some weird strange reason likes to have players capable of playing in multi positions, what would be nice to see for a wee change is players playing in the positions best suited to their individual skills, it's not rocket science.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    Ad have stevenson before hanlon and day of the week.

The whole team was gash tonight. I like Lewis but tonight wasn't his best night, same goes for them all. I,m more bothered that the manager started with a left back at right back and a centre half at left back when we had a right back on the bench. Baffled from Powderhall.

How can he live off of one performance yet win our player of the year in a separate season?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wright Jnr View Post
    How can he live off of one performance yet win our player of the year in a separate season?
    It's a mystery. And why have so many different Hibs managers seen fit to keep offering him another contract and/or praise his contribution and keep picking him.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

I disagree with a lot of criticism on this thread though and think he is a great player to have at the club.

I can't help wondering how he would have developed had he left four years ago and held down a constant midfield position at another club.

Probably be first pick for Scotland

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Stevenson was hung out to dry by Fenlon playing him at right back.

Lewis has proved time and again that he's a useful squad player but he shouldn't be a first pick imho.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: EdinburghHibee86
    I really feel for Lewis he is a decent player to have around the club however like someone has said PF's terrible tactical awareness had hung Lewis out to dry.

Most folk, who watched the game last week said Lewis was the weak link in the defence, what does our manager do??? Plays him in the same position!!! PF must take the hit for this and last weeks result. For me it's a thanks but not good enough paddy!!

Thank god its no just me. Stevenson is an utterly dreadful player who sums up the complete mediocrity that some Hibs fan absolutely revel in just cos "Wee Lewis is a great wee guy who tries and tries his hardest"

Makes me want to puke.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: EdinburghHibee86
    Quote Originally Posted by The Baldmans Comb View Post
    Thank god its no just me. Stevenson is an utterly dreadful player who sums up the complete mediocrity that some Hibs fan absolutely revel in just cos "Wee Lewis is a great wee guy who tries and tries his hardest"

Makes me want to puke.
    Keep in mind he's not a left back and has never ever been a right back I think your being harsh. It's like playing aguero defence mid why would you do it PF has been in the heroin all week!!

I've never doubted Lewis' commitment and effort, as I've said earlier hes at best a squad player, just like Hanlon, but to rip him apart for being played continually out of position is unfair on the guy. Yes he's no full back and especially on the right!!!, WTF was pat thinking?, sorry, the buck stops wi the guy who picks the team!!, if we played Thomson up front and ripped into him for no scoring is that his fault???, Fenlon is well out his depth now, a blind man on the moon could see the areas were short in!!, but, the pr dept at Easter road

spot on

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by The Baldmans Comb View Post

Makes me want to puke.
    Never was a truer word spoken! He's bloddy dreadful!

Blaming Stevenson for anything that has happened tonight is utter nonsense.

Sorry OP but your thread is just a rant.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    It's a mystery. And why have so many different Hibs managers seen fit to keep offering him another contract and/or praise his contribution and keep picking him.
    Because he was debatably our best player through one of them and deserving of it. He's not let any of his managers down.

I too wouldn't have him in my first eleven but he can patch up positions. His problem now is that he's never going to get anywhere near our centre midfield so it's left back only and that's not much good to him or us.

Left by mutual consent!
    Stevenson's poor performance was exacerbated by the fact that Malmo can actually spot a weakness and capitalise on it!!

Rantie up front had a field day but Hibs defence and tactics allowed him that opportunity - the difference is Pat Fenlon can't spot weaknesses, cant set up his team to capitalise, can't learn from lessons/bad performances and is tactically out of his depth.

The high line we played against pacy front men who are match fit was suicide.....why have Handling up front as he cannot compete with his back to the goals as he had, Harris was diabolical, McPake shouldn't have started, we as a team cannot pass the ball first time forward, we as a team cannot pass the ball first time full stop.

We as supporters need to acknowledge and manage our expectations.....our squad is poor, our manager is not of the quality we need, we have a Chairman who is hell bent on money and not the first XI.....and when that happens you get results like tonight.

Only a tactically inept lunatic would play a 100% left sided midfielder at right back over 2 legs when he was ripped a new one in leg 1.

There were coaching errors and tactical mistakes strewn all over that pitch last night

Hopefully Kevin Thomson has the balls to go one step further than he did at Hampden and chin that incompetent dwarf

Surely the players have lost all confidence in him now?

I really am at the end of my tether with Hibs at the moment. The lack of skill, preperation, desire and pace (with and without the ball) is shocking and Lewis Stevenson epitomises this in spades. My heart sinks when I see his name on the team sheet. What does he actually bring to the team because he can't head the ball, can't tackle, can't pass, can't drive forward, can't control the ball, is slow and can't man mark a player....yes he tries 100% but so would I if I played for Hibs. He isn't anywhere near good enough to be near a Hibs first team squad. At the fourth goal he showed a left footed player inside only for him to bang one in - any player with half a brain would know not to do this. The boy Mullen showed in 60 odd minutes that he is a far better player, at least he drives on and tries to create things.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Behave yourself. I'll gi ye he's no a right back but he's more than demonstrated he's good enough over the last couple of days

What does he offer apart from passing the ball backwards , he's gash

@hibs.net private member
    Lewis got ripped apart in Malmo by them but PF played him again ar RB. In the SPL he is an average squad player. He can come in and do a job. But let's not blame him for that shambolic performance. He was part of the team that let us down. But individual mistakes by Thompson, McPake, Williams all contributed to the goals. These are senior players who were very poor on the night

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Gogs43 View Post
    Only a tactically inept lunatic would play a 100% left sided midfielder at right back over 2 legs when he was ripped a new one in leg 1.

There were coaching errors and tactical mistakes strewn all over that pitch last night

Hopefully Kevin Thomson has the balls to go one step further than he did at Hampden and chin that incompetent dwarf

Surely the players have lost all confidence in him now?
    He's not a right sided player, but as soon as he went to left back he showed their boy inside instead of out and he scored easily. It was a horrendous bit of defending.