hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Alan Maybury - player/coach contract (merged)

Contract expires end of this month.

Was told Maybury and Kuqi started their UEFA A badge last week - I assume both are thinking to the future and not sure if Hibs have offered Maybury another deal as a player yet.

Personally I would keep him around working with the younger players as seems like a good professional.

While he wasn't always a fans favourite I think Maybury did pick up some form last few league games of the season. However would like to see more of an attacking full back - however Maybury did bring experience to a young back 4.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenStar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Contract expires end of this month.

Was told Maybury and Kuqi started their UEFA A badge last week - I assume both are thinking to the future and not sure if Hibs have offered Maybury another deal as a player yet.

Personally I would keep him around working with the younger players as seems like a good professional.

While he wasn't always a fans favourite I think Maybury did pick up some form last few league games of the season. However would like to see more of an attacking full back - however Maybury did bring experience to a young back 4.
    I would give him another year shown enough in the games he played to demonstrate he can still contribute though probably more as cover. His coaching and playing experience were probably influential in guys like Forster looking so calm when in the first team.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I wouldn't offer him a new deal, he won't be first choice, we would be better placed playing one of the youth team as cover

That would be why he was in Largs last Friday then. Maybury, that is. I didn't see Kuqi.

@hibs.net private member
    Maybury MAY be worth keeping on as a player coach for a season - giving him a chance to develop his coaching while providing cover to the 1st team. But should defo wave bye bye to Kuqui who has sadly been a bit of a waste of space.

@hibs.net private member neilmartinrocks's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sum1stolemytag
    I would keep him as cover for 1st team and/or a coach for the youngsters.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    I would give him another year shown enough in the games he played to demonstrate he can still contribute though probably more as cover. His coaching and playing experience were probably influential in guys like Forster looking so calm when in the first team.

Would like to keep him for all of those reasons. Had a better season at RB than anyone since Whittaker IMO, and has filled in well at LB too. His days of being a first choice are long gone, but if the right deal can be struck to take advantage of his experience, adaptability and desire to coach, I'd be happy.

Fenlon said that he was the kind of person that was good to have at the club before he signed him. Let's keep him here if we can.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    Maybury MAY be worth keeping on as a player coach for a season - giving him a chance to develop his coaching while providing cover to the 1st team. But should defo wave bye bye to Kuqui who has sadly been a bit of a waste of space.
    According to PF, Kuqi has proved his worth in a coaching sense. In that respect, he's probably more valuable than AM.

Although he didn't play much, seemingly his experience was invaluable with the younger forwards, who all learnt a lot from him.

@hibs.net private member JollyGreenGiant's Avatar
    I wouldn't give him a contract, Clancy and Lewis can play there, so can Spoony if he stays and I would rather a young laddie be given a shot if none of the others could play!

Is it not the case that both of these guys were being kept on in a coaching capacity

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1 View Post
    Although he didn't play much, seemingly his experience was invaluable with the younger forwards, who all learnt a lot from him.
    Surely we are not seriously considering keeping Kuqi on?

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    I think he's been released but PF said he'd been good to have around the place to help the young strikers.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    What's the big problem if its just as a coach?

Quote Originally Posted by jc1 View Post

I think that is Fenlon's excuse for making what was a dreadful signing and a complete waste of money.

I would imagine we already have our full quota of coaches at the club, unless they are prepared to stay on and work for nothing i can't see either of them staying.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    What's the big problem if its just as a coach?

Kuqi Coachy sounds like a song.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    I think that is Fenlon's excuse for making what was a dreadful signing and a complete waste of money.
    Fenlon is in record as saying Kuqi didn't feature as much as he himself would have wanted. He expressed no regrets at not having played him more. I think it is implied that the signing was a bust on the playing front.

No excuses required. He took a chance on experience and pedigree and it didn't pay off. It happens. If he wasn't good to have around and his experience and attitude weren't positive I doubt there'd be any need to soft soap it.

I like to think he is a good professional who made the best of his abilities. A good role model for any footballer starting out. All the best Shefki.

Maybury should be our first choice right back IMO.

Lewis is about third choice and I'm not sure Spoony will ever play RB again

Clancy seems to spend a fair bit of time on the treatment table

I'd keep Clancy as cover when fit

Quote Originally Posted by Gogs43 View Post
    Maybury should be our first choice right back IMO.

Lewis is about third choice and I'm not sure Spoony will ever play RB again

Clancy seems to spend a fair bit of time on the treatment table

I'd keep Clancy as cover when fit
    If we want to achieve anything next season we need better than maybury. He is a decent honest journeyman pro who always tries his best but we need better.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    If we want to achieve anything next season we need better than maybury. He is a decent honest journeyman pro who always tries his best but we need better.
    Agree only on the basis of the 11 that go on the park but we have had such a dearth of honest pros in the last few years that I would be loathe to see Maybury and possibly Kuqi go. Are they a large part of what looks like a more professional approach? If yes then retain them, it takes years to build up a culture of professionalism much as it took years of sloppy habits to reach the point we were at last season. If they truly help Caldwell and Forster turn into top SPL performers then their wages are well covered in (a) The fact these young lads will be on initially smaller contracts and (b) If they become SPL stars on bigger contracts then they should have sale value and again justifies the 'coach' situation.
    In my mind I would far rather have this background professionalism and young academy stars coming through than billy big shot has/never beens we seem to have been lumbered with for years

No my point was he was nearing the end of his career and his experience was invaluable with the youngsters(Caldwell/Handling)

If Maybury can be kept on as pure back up, he's doing his badges then we're getting a 2 for 1 deal. We have many youngsters coming through the ranks and Maybury has seemingly been a very good influence on them, it's all about professionalism, something Fenlon has been changing at the club.

Despite only playing about 1 game Kuqi has been working hard with the young guys. He's not a wage thief and when he realised he couldn't play much he did work in other senses. Apparently Caldwell learned a lot from him.

I,d give Maybury another year. Good to have a bit experience to step in if required. With Clancy being injured a lot and only young guys as cover we might need it.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    Kuqi Coachy sounds like a song.
    Pass the Coachy on the Kuqi side...

No for me.

Not for me either ,far too slow

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Fenlon is in record as saying Kuqi didn't feature as much as he himself would have wanted. He expressed no regrets at not having played him more. I think it is implied that the signing was a bust on the playing front.

No excuses required. He took a chance on experience and pedigree and it didn't pay off. It happens. If he wasn't good to have around and his experience and attitude weren't positive I doubt there'd be any need to soft soap it.

I like to think he is a good professional who made the best of his abilities. A good role model for any footballer starting out. All the best Shefki.
    When you look at the guys we have had with much more talent than Kuqi, and think about the fact that some of those guys are finished by the time they are 30 while Kuqi is now 36, he can only be a good role model for the younger guys. I wouldn't have any complaints if there was a role for him at east mains, as long as it didn't impact on the playing budget.

Same for Maybury, who I thought was our best option at RB last season. Both these guys can only be a good influence on the younger lads. Seems like the scottish lads struggle to keep a career going after the age of 30, while the lads that come through the ranks in england always seem to go on till their mid 30's.

Quote Originally Posted by scuttle View Post
    Not for me either ,far too slow
    Rubbish. He isn't the quickest but far too slow is a bare faced lie tbh, his experience and defending ability also makes up for his lack of pace, another year at least for me.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    He's done a job for a season, but please let us get someone in who's a wee bit better than him.