hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer thread

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Belhaven are about to launch a 'craft' range.

5 beers in all. Tried 4 the other day: An IPA, a lager, a stout and I can't remember the other. The IPA was ok and the stout was very good (and gave a nice glow at 7.2%).

The 5th, which the rep didn't have for sampling, was aged in Speyside whisky casks.
    Interesting. Should be quite widely available in the pubs they own I take it? I quite like the current ipa they do, pretty similar to deuchers and a decent option in some places where beer choice is otherwise limited to lager.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyHibbie View Post
    Do any of you lot do home brew ..?..
    It's never appealed to me GH, got a few mates who have produced some cracking beers (ones a professional so only to be expected) but I've never fancied the hassle tbh. I'd drink it way faster if I had loads sat in the house and also for the same reason I'm not too interested in learning to cook really well- I don't want to lose the mystery of not knowing how the professionals produce something I enjoy. Could save a fair bit of cash though...
    Last edited by Mr White; 01-03-2014 at 08:54 PM.

Had friends round yesterday and we sampled.......

London Porter, 5.5%
    St Peter's Mild, 3.7%
    Einstock Icelandic Toasted Porter, 6.0%
    Pearl Necklace Oyster Stout, 5.5%
    Profanity Stout, 7.0%

They were all pretty good and I would have them again.

Tempest Chipotle Porter, 5.6% - Too spicy for me. Spicy food aye, spicy beer naw!!

Tempest Red Eye Flight Mocha Porter, 7.4% - OK, but a bit strong for my liking. You could taste the strength in it and that's not always good.

Greenwich Smoked Bock Beer, 6.0% - Dreadful stuff

And a bottle or two of Anchor Steam which is one of my favourites.

And I don't have a sore head

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Had friends round yesterday and we sampled.......

London Porter, 5.5%
    St Peter's Mild, 3.7%
    Einstock Icelandic Toasted Porter, 6.0%
    Pearl Necklace Oyster Stout, 5.5%
    Profanity Stout, 7.0%

They were all pretty good and I would have them again.

Tempest Chipotle Porter, 5.6% - Too spicy for me. Spicy food aye, spicy beer naw!!

Tempest Red Eye Flight Mocha Porter, 7.4% - OK, but a bit strong for my liking. You could taste the strength in it and that's not always good.

Greenwich Smoked Bock Beer, 6.0% - Dreadful stuff

And a bottle or two of Anchor Steam which is one of my favourites.

And I don't have a sore head
    Had a pint of the Chipotle porter last Christmas. I didn't have a second, couldn't help thinking the chile ruined an otherwise excellent beer.

Quote Originally Posted by South Sub View Post
    Had a pint of the Chipotle porter last Christmas. I didn't have a second, couldn't help thinking the chile ruined an otherwise excellent beer.
    I thought that both Tempest beers were just trying too hard to be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I thought that both Tempest beers were just trying too hard to be different.
    Didn't really enjoy the red eye mocha porter either actually whereas their paler efforts like long white cloud and face with no name have always been much more enjoyable. There was a 2.8% tempest in growler last time I was in that was pretty good too. Ball park perhaps?

It's never appealed to me GH, got a few mates who have produced some cracking beers (ones a professional so only to be expected) but I've never fancied the hassle tbh. I'd drink it way faster if I had loads sat in the house and also for the same reason I'm not too interested in learning to cook really well- I don't want to lose the mystery of not knowing how the professionals produce something I enjoy. Could save a fair bit of cash though...
    A colleague does home brew ..a novice he admits but kits nowadays are far more simpler ..as in measure your water ..make sure everything is steralised ..add the ingredients ...wait ..then syphon ..5 weeks later ..yer brew .. ..most things are pre measured & pre packed nowadays ..all it needs is a bit TLC ..

My work colleague a (novice) is buying kits that produce 40 pints for the eqv of 25p a pint ..once you have the kit then the world is yer oyster ..

A colleague does home brew ..a novice he admits but kits nowadays are far more simpler ..as in measure your water ..make sure everything is steralised ..add the ingredients ...wait ..then syphon ..5 weeks later ..yer brew .. ..most things are pre measured & pre packed nowadays ..all it needs is a bit TLC ..

My work colleague a (novice) is buying kits that produce 40 pints for the eqv of 25p a pint ..once you have the kit then the world is yer oyster ..
    Yeah I've been very impressed by some beers that friends have made from kits, a lot of them I would never have guessed were home brewed if I hadn't known. And it's undoubtedly cost effective but I can't keep beer in the house and not drink it every night so it'd be pretty disastrous for my liver if I brewed my own

Yeah I've been very impressed by some beers that friends have made from kits, a lot of them I would never have guessed were home brewed if I hadn't known. And it's undoubtedly cost effective but I can't keep beer in the house and not drink it every night so it'd be pretty disastrous for my liver if I brewed my own
    Mines would be in a shed outside ...however ..working in Diagnostic Radiology day in day out ..you have a point regards the liver ...aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhh !!!!!

Mines would be in a shed outside ...however ..working in Diagnostic Radiology day in day out ..you have a point regards the liver ...aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhh !!!!!
    You going to take the plunge? I see there's a big home brew supply shop now up on newington road, I believe it's the reincarnation of the wee one that used to be on the corner of Elgin terrace and edina st? that could be wrong though.

Taken a wee shine to Peroni, but actually can't believe the price, how come it's so expensive? Is it handmade it someone's kitchen in Italy?!! An Italian buddy of mine has mentioned a few times that a lager called Moretti (sp?) is a helluva lot more popular in Italy than Peroni is, although I've never heard of it, more of an ale drinker really!

You going to take the plunge? I see there's a big home brew supply shop now up on newington road, I believe it's the reincarnation of the wee one that used to be on the corner of Elgin terrace and edina st? that could be wrong though.
    Will need another wee shed..however that has been passed wi the Wife ..the brew shop you mention has had rave reviews ..the first one I ever remember was the wee shop nearby the Corrie Inn ..put it simply ..why spend £sssss in a boozer when ye can spend & enjoy pretty much the same stuff doing it yersel at a fraction o the price ..

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    Taken a wee shine to Peroni, but actually can't believe the price, how come it's so expensive? Is it handmade it someone's kitchen in Italy?!! An Italian buddy of mine has mentioned a few times that a lager called Moretti (sp?) is a helluva lot more popular in Italy than Peroni is, although I've never heard of it, more of an ale drinker really!
    Speciality imported beer/lager ..you may pay that bit more for imported but sometimes its worth paying ..

Will need another wee shed..however that has been passed wi the Wife ..the brew shop you mention has had rave reviews ..the first one I ever remember was the wee shop nearby the Corrie Inn ..put it simply ..why spend £sssss in a boozer when ye can spend & enjoy pretty much the same stuff doing it yersel at a fraction o the price ..
    Removing the social aspect of drinking whilst increasing the rate of consumption? Your gp might not approve

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

Moretti is far more popular in Italy, have seen it in Sainsburys but never tried it.

Peroni was introduced with a high price tag and it worked. Sometimes a great marketing ploy to introduce a new product to the market and price it much higher than it's competitors, it's target market accepted it so it was a winner.

Cairngorm Wildcat for me tonight. Pretty decent stuff.

Also had a pint of Williams Joker IPA on keg rather than cask. I'll admit to being a bit of a keg sceptic but this was definitely better from the keg.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Will try Moretti, apparently you can get a 660ml bottle in Tesco for £1.60 something, may buy 6 bottles just to be sure!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Moretti is far more popular in Italy, have seen it in Sainsburys but never tried it.

Peroni was introduced with a high price tag and it worked. Sometimes a great marketing ploy to introduce a new product to the market and price it much higher than it's competitors, it's target market accepted it so it was a winner.
    a mate told me about this

www.thefreelibrary.com
    www.bitterwallet.com/italians-drink-like-scottish-tramps

quite staggering that tennents super is viewed rather differently in italy. Quality headline too.
    Last edited by Mr White; 02-03-2014 at 08:01 PM.

Removing the social aspect of drinking whilst increasing the rate of consumption? Your gp might not approve
    aye ..tae a point ..but ..me & big bro are competitive & like tae get wired intae Tig Woods or whatever (we aint golfers) so ..a few bottled ales at pretty much zero price ..efty sesh ..total plan ..win win ...

aye ..tae a point ..but ..me & big bro are competitive & like tae get wired intae Tig Woods or whatever (we aint golfers) so ..a few bottled ales at pretty much zero price ..efty sesh ..total plan ..win win ...
    Nice one, all the best with it I've tried a home brew that was made with a black jelly bean in each bottle instead of the sugar lozenge that come as part of some kits. Gave the beer a slight aniseed flavour. No doubt there are other wee tweaks and alterations to be found on brewing forums to customise the beer.

Just sampling " Birds & Bees 4.3 % brewed by Williams in Alloa

A lovely ale

I remember when we were doing a spot of al fresco drinking before the Scotland game in Bari a lot of the locals were on the Tennents Super Lager, was quite amusing to see.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    Had a Stronzo MacLovin last night which was superb.

Just polished off a Beavertown Bloody 'Ell which I'll certainly look to get more of.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Was in a pub in London last night and had a pint of Robinson's Trooper and a pint of Allsop Ale, both lovely.

Moretti is nicer than Peroni IMO - father in law drinks it whenever we go out for dinner at their local Italian in Lanark.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I remember when we were doing a spot of al fresco drinking before the Scotland game in Bari a lot of the locals were on the Tennents Super Lager, was quite amusing to see.
    Super was very popular in parts of France at one time (not sure if it still is) was served in half pint or wine glasses & was a decent tipple with a meal ..

Super was very popular in parts of France at one time (not sure if it still is) was served in half pint or wine glasses & was a decent tipple with a meal ..
    It's weird how the same product can be viewed so very differently between different places!

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    You'll get birra moretti in most supermarkets. It's usually £4 for four bottles. I prefer it to the peroni nastro azurro, I do however quite like the standard peroni with the red label.

I had a few bottles of cerveza pacifico Clara the other night, made by the same mob that make corona but this one actually had a taste. Quite malty but not too bad.

Tonight's choices are, cause the fridge is running empty are warsteiner or pilsner urquell.

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    I was looking that home brew store website and think I might invest in their Oktoberfest starter kit at 50 notes.

It's weird how the same product can be viewed so very differently between different places!
    It's the same with regular Tennents as well.

It's reputation here is so so but I've had Germans and Czechs come into my work and absolutely rave about how good it is.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by degenerated View Post
    I was looking that home brew store website and think I might invest in their Oktoberfest starter kit at 50 notes.
    I need tae invest in my garden shed (brewery) first ..