hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer thread

First Team Breakthrough Rossco1875's Avatar
    A few of my favourites at the moment are Black Isle Yellowhammer, Cairngorm Tradewinds, A few of the Alchemey beers and Williams brothers.

Good pub on our very door step at Easter Road for Real ales is the Mash Tun.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Rossco1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A few of my favourites at the moment are Black Isle Yellowhammer, Cairngorm Tradewinds, A few of the Alchemey beers and Williams brothers.

Good pub on our very door step at Easter Road for Real ales is the Mash Tun.
    The Mash Tun is excellent with staff that know their stuff. I was in on Saturday and got a pint that was quite clearly near the end of the cask so it wasn't quite right. Asked to change it and it was done no bother at all. Try that is some pubs and the bar staff will argue to the death until the cask runs out about a pint and half later to prove you right.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quaffing a pint or two of Righteous Ale (American Craft Beer) in AGB's. 6.3%, so better watch what I'm doing! :-)

Tastes even stronger, a pint or two then on to something else methinks!
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 24-12-2013 at 02:15 PM.

I am thoroughly enjoying sweet and flowery Birds and the Bees over the festive period. Normally considered a summer drink but who cares

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I am thoroughly enjoying sweet and flowery Birds and the Bees over the festive period. Normally considered a summer drink but who cares
    My favourite williams brew good all year round imo, i love elderflower in beer.

First Team Breakthrough deeks01's Avatar
    Got myself a nice 6 pack of Bacchus Fromboziabiere (very doubtful that is correctly typed but I cannot be bothered checking the label) to do me tomorrow! A lovely raspberry flavoured Belgian beer. Not my normal kind of beer but tried a bottle of it on a night out in Carlisle & fair enjoyed it so thought I'd go for something different!

Me & my mate have a Brew Dog beer in for hogmanay. Comes in a tiny wee 30CL bottle so we plan to slip one each of it in our pockets and have it at the bells. It is called Watt Dickie Ice Distilled Beer. It is lethal sounding but hey... it's hogmanay.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by deeks01 View Post
    Got myself a nice 6 pack of Bacchus Fromboziabiere (very doubtful that is correctly typed but I cannot be bothered checking the label) to do me tomorrow! A lovely raspberry flavoured Belgian beer. Not my normal kind of beer but tried a bottle of it on a night out in Carlisle & fair enjoyed it so thought I'd go for something different!

Me & my mate have a Brew Dog beer in for hogmanay. Comes in a tiny wee 30CL bottle so we plan to slip one each of it in our pockets and have it at the bells. It is called Watt Dickie Ice Distilled Beer. It is lethal sounding but hey... it's hogmanay.

The Watt Dickie stuff is really nice. It's meant to be treated as a spirit so I tried it neat, with a touch of water and with a couple of cubes of ice. Definitely best with the ice imo.

First Team Breakthrough deeks01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The Watt Dickie stuff is really nice. It's meant to be treated as a spirit so I tried it neat, with a touch of water and with a couple of cubes of ice. Definitely best with the ice imo.
    I did not know that, thanks! We were just going to drink it straight as it is beer (even if it is 'ice distilled') but wasn't sure it'd be particularly pleasant given the strength of it! Will try it with ice & water as you say, like I would a good malt whisky.

Enjoyed a good days drinking yesterday and have concluded that the best bottled ale to accompany a single malt is bitter and twisted. Got many I prefer more in their own right but b&t proved to be a fine partner to a wee glenrothes select reserve.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Seven Giraffes and Good Times both by William Bros for me tonight. Very nice.

Got a bottle of spice orange Edinburgh Gin to get stuck into tomorrow.
    Got a Williams Bros pack yesterday, plus a few others...still got a few left! Some cracking beers, Birds & Bees is first up today

P1010630.jpg

Got a 5 litre mini keg of Stewart pentland ipa to see the bells in tonight. First pint went down nicely :-)

@hibs.net private member SneakersO'Toole's Avatar
    For those that like Belhaven Black, had 7 pints of this wonderful heaven in a glass yesterday in the Safari Lounge at Abbeyhill.

What a transformation this place has had incidentally. Excellent food also. Thoroughly recommend a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by SneakersO'Toole View Post
    For those that like Belhaven Black, had 7 pints of this wonderful heaven in a glass yesterday in the Safari Lounge at Abbeyhill.

What a transformation this place has had incidentally. Excellent food also. Thoroughly recommend a visit.
    Certainly has changed for the better as has The Artisan.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Certainly has changed for the better as has The Artisan.
    God it's been a long long time since I have been in there.

Quote Originally Posted by SneakersO'Toole View Post

Saw the new version for the 1st time when I was back at home at Xmas. What a transformation. The old place looked so dingy it was a constant butt of jokes amongst my mates.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    The Corry Inn had Westons cider as a guest cider last night great stuff, managed to sink many pints of it while watching Liverpool pump Everton.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    The Corry Inn had Westons cider as a guest cider last night great stuff, managed to sink many pints of it while watching Liverpool pump Everton.
    Is that about 7%? How was your head this morning?

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by South Sub View Post
    Is that about 7%? How was your head this morning?

Not sure how strong it was, head was fine. I seem to be immune to sore heads when drinking cider, if I had drank the equivalant in bog standard lager it would have been banging!

My girlfriends old man sent me a few bottles last week. Pick of the bunch were:

Jennings Bitter
    Jenning Cockerhoop
    Brakspear Oxford Gold
    Wainwright Golden Ale
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

The Cork & Cask on Marchmont Rd sells every Scottish bottled beer. There's a micro brewery from Kelso called Tempest who do some amazing beers, Brave New World being one. Worth a browse if you're round that way.

Was drinking McEwans Champions Ale 7% plus. That and Jokers IPA. Very refreshing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cropley10 View Post
    The Cork & Cask on Marchmont Rd sells every Scottish bottled beer. There's a micro brewery from Kelso called Tempest who do some amazing beers, Brave New World being one. Worth a browse if you're round that way.
    If you like tempest beers growler on Morningside rd always has a couple of their beers in the cask that they fill up into 1,2 or 3 litre bottles, works out a bit cheaper than the bottle shops.

I was in The Vintage earlier, wide choice of beers, a tad costly though.

Haven't trawled through the whole thread to see if anyone's mentioned my favourites but Jarl by Fyne Ales is the dug's baws and as refreshing an outburst of fruit as it's possible to get. Try especially on a hot summer's day! Others are Hurricane Jack and Avalanche by the same brewery and Black IPA and Edinburgh Gold by Stewarts and Punk IPA by Brewdog.

Only thing that cheeses me off is the price, which I can appreciate with the smaller breweries, but such as Brewdog are making decent quantities of the stuff yet the price of a 30cl bottle can be the same or more than larger bottles from other smaller breweries.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pointer View Post
    Haven't trawled through the whole thread to see if anyone's mentioned my favourites but Jarl by Fyne Ales is the dug's baws and as refreshing an outburst of fruit as it's possible to get. Try especially on a hot summer's day! Others are Hurricane Jack and Avalanche by the same brewery and Black IPA and Edinburgh Gold by Stewarts and Punk IPA by Brewdog.

Only thing that cheeses me off is the price, which I can appreciate with the smaller breweries, but such as Brewdog are making decent quantities of the stuff yet the price of a 30cl bottle can be the same or more than larger bottles from other smaller breweries.
    Funny you should say that, Jarl is just about my least favourite pint. You would be cheaper just pouring some washing up liquid into a glass and downing it

Tonight's tipples for me are.......

Maclays 56 shilling, 6.9% - 5/10

......and Brewdog Brixton Porter, 5.0 % - 5/10

I'm very strict with my scoring so 5/10 isn't too bad

Just for info............

Scottish Real Ale Festival 2014
    10-13th July (provisional)
    Edinburgh Corn Exchange, New Market Rd.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Funny you should say that, Jarl is just about my least favourite pint. You would be cheaper just pouring some washing up liquid into a glass and downing it

Tonight's tipples for me are.......

Maclays 56 shilling, 6.9% - 5/10

......and Brewdog Brixton Porter, 5.0 % - 5/10

I'm very strict with my scoring so 5/10 isn't too bad
    If you get your hands on one of the other prototypes, Interstellar, then you're in for a treat.

I had Jarl on keg for the first time this week and thought it was decent! It was on at the same time as Tempest Long White Cloud though so was made to look bad.

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    If you get your hands on one of the other prototypes, Interstellar, then you're in for a treat.

I had Jarl on keg for the first time this week and thought it was decent! It was on at the same time as Tempest Long White Cloud though so was made to look bad.
    I had one of the other prototypes, hobo pop. It was damn decent stuff.

Do any of you lot do home brew ..?..

Belhaven are about to launch a 'craft' range.

5 beers in all. Tried 4 the other day: An IPA, a lager, a stout and I can't remember the other. The IPA was ok and the stout was very good (and gave a nice glow at 7.2%).

The 5th, which the rep didn't have for sampling, was aged in Speyside whisky casks.