hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 364

Thread: Beer thread

  1. #121
    First Team Breakthrough Rossco1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Forrester Park
    Posts
    227
    A few of my favourites at the moment are Black Isle Yellowhammer, Cairngorm Tradewinds, A few of the Alchemey beers and Williams brothers.

    Good pub on our very door step at Easter Road for Real ales is the Mash Tun.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A few of my favourites at the moment are Black Isle Yellowhammer, Cairngorm Tradewinds, A few of the Alchemey beers and Williams brothers.

    Good pub on our very door step at Easter Road for Real ales is the Mash Tun.
    The Mash Tun is excellent with staff that know their stuff. I was in on Saturday and got a pint that was quite clearly near the end of the cask so it wasn't quite right. Asked to change it and it was done no bother at all. Try that is some pubs and the bar staff will argue to the death until the cask runs out about a pint and half later to prove you right.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  4. #123
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    49
    Posts
    17,565
    Quaffing a pint or two of Righteous Ale (American Craft Beer) in AGB's. 6.3%, so better watch what I'm doing! :-)

    Tastes even stronger, a pint or two then on to something else methinks!
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 24-12-2013 at 02:15 PM.

  5. #124
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    50
    Posts
    25,223
    I am thoroughly enjoying sweet and flowery Birds and the Bees over the festive period. Normally considered a summer drink but who cares

  6. #125
    @hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    8,852
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am thoroughly enjoying sweet and flowery Birds and the Bees over the festive period. Normally considered a summer drink but who cares
    My favourite williams brew good all year round imo, i love elderflower in beer.

  7. #126
    First Team Breakthrough deeks01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    219
    Got myself a nice 6 pack of Bacchus Fromboziabiere (very doubtful that is correctly typed but I cannot be bothered checking the label) to do me tomorrow! A lovely raspberry flavoured Belgian beer. Not my normal kind of beer but tried a bottle of it on a night out in Carlisle & fair enjoyed it so thought I'd go for something different!

    Me & my mate have a Brew Dog beer in for hogmanay. Comes in a tiny wee 30CL bottle so we plan to slip one each of it in our pockets and have it at the bells. It is called Watt Dickie Ice Distilled Beer. It is lethal sounding but hey... it's hogmanay.

    Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

  8. #127
    Quote Originally Posted by deeks01 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Got myself a nice 6 pack of Bacchus Fromboziabiere (very doubtful that is correctly typed but I cannot be bothered checking the label) to do me tomorrow! A lovely raspberry flavoured Belgian beer. Not my normal kind of beer but tried a bottle of it on a night out in Carlisle & fair enjoyed it so thought I'd go for something different!

    Me & my mate have a Brew Dog beer in for hogmanay. Comes in a tiny wee 30CL bottle so we plan to slip one each of it in our pockets and have it at the bells. It is called Watt Dickie Ice Distilled Beer. It is lethal sounding but hey... it's hogmanay.

    Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
    The Watt Dickie stuff is really nice. It's meant to be treated as a spirit so I tried it neat, with a touch of water and with a couple of cubes of ice. Definitely best with the ice imo.

  9. #128
    First Team Breakthrough deeks01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Watt Dickie stuff is really nice. It's meant to be treated as a spirit so I tried it neat, with a touch of water and with a couple of cubes of ice. Definitely best with the ice imo.
    I did not know that, thanks! We were just going to drink it straight as it is beer (even if it is 'ice distilled') but wasn't sure it'd be particularly pleasant given the strength of it! Will try it with ice & water as you say, like I would a good malt whisky.

    Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

  10. #129
    @hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    8,852
    Enjoyed a good days drinking yesterday and have concluded that the best bottled ale to accompany a single malt is bitter and twisted. Got many I prefer more in their own right but b&t proved to be a fine partner to a wee glenrothes select reserve.

  11. #130
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    62
    Posts
    15,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seven Giraffes and Good Times both by William Bros for me tonight. Very nice.

    Got a bottle of spice orange Edinburgh Gin to get stuck into tomorrow.
    Got a Williams Bros pack yesterday, plus a few others...still got a few left! Some cracking beers, Birds & Bees is first up today

    P1010630.jpg

  12. #131
    @hibs.net private member vein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cheesetoon
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,798
    Got a 5 litre mini keg of Stewart pentland ipa to see the bells in tonight. First pint went down nicely :-)

  13. #132
    @hibs.net private member SneakersO'Toole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    4,437
    For those that like Belhaven Black, had 7 pints of this wonderful heaven in a glass yesterday in the Safari Lounge at Abbeyhill.

    What a transformation this place has had incidentally. Excellent food also. Thoroughly recommend a visit.

  14. #133
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    49
    Posts
    17,565
    Quote Originally Posted by SneakersO'Toole View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For those that like Belhaven Black, had 7 pints of this wonderful heaven in a glass yesterday in the Safari Lounge at Abbeyhill.

    What a transformation this place has had incidentally. Excellent food also. Thoroughly recommend a visit.
    Certainly has changed for the better as has The Artisan.

  15. #134
    @hibs.net private member Aldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Leven
    Age
    50
    Posts
    23,211
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Certainly has changed for the better as has The Artisan.
    God it's been a long long time since I have been in there.

  16. #135
    Coaching Staff lyonhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zurich
    Age
    35
    Posts
    12,821
    Quote Originally Posted by SneakersO'Toole View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For those that like Belhaven Black, had 7 pints of this wonderful heaven in a glass yesterday in the Safari Lounge at Abbeyhill.

    What a transformation this place has had incidentally. Excellent food also. Thoroughly recommend a visit.
    Saw the new version for the 1st time when I was back at home at Xmas. What a transformation. The old place looked so dingy it was a constant butt of jokes amongst my mates.

  17. #136
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    53
    Posts
    20,864
    The Corry Inn had Westons cider as a guest cider last night great stuff, managed to sink many pints of it while watching Liverpool pump Everton.

  18. #137
    @hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    8,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Corry Inn had Westons cider as a guest cider last night great stuff, managed to sink many pints of it while watching Liverpool pump Everton.
    Is that about 7%? How was your head this morning?

  19. #138
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    53
    Posts
    20,864
    Quote Originally Posted by South Sub View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is that about 7%? How was your head this morning?

    Not sure how strong it was, head was fine. I seem to be immune to sore heads when drinking cider, if I had drank the equivalant in bog standard lager it would have been banging!

  20. #139
    My girlfriends old man sent me a few bottles last week. Pick of the bunch were:

    Jennings Bitter
    Jenning Cockerhoop
    Brakspear Oxford Gold
    Wainwright Golden Ale
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  21. #140
    Coaching Staff Cropley10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Side, Edinburgh
    Posts
    6,792
    The Cork & Cask on Marchmont Rd sells every Scottish bottled beer. There's a micro brewery from Kelso called Tempest who do some amazing beers, Brave New World being one. Worth a browse if you're round that way.

  22. #141
    @hibs.net private member Aldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Leven
    Age
    50
    Posts
    23,211
    Was drinking McEwans Champions Ale 7% plus. That and Jokers IPA. Very refreshing.

  23. #142
    @hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    8,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Cropley10 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Cork & Cask on Marchmont Rd sells every Scottish bottled beer. There's a micro brewery from Kelso called Tempest who do some amazing beers, Brave New World being one. Worth a browse if you're round that way.
    If you like tempest beers growler on Morningside rd always has a couple of their beers in the cask that they fill up into 1,2 or 3 litre bottles, works out a bit cheaper than the bottle shops.

  24. #143
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    49
    Posts
    17,565
    I was in The Vintage earlier, wide choice of beers, a tad costly though.

  25. #144
    First Team Regular The Pointer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Two hours west of the weege.
    Posts
    846
    Haven't trawled through the whole thread to see if anyone's mentioned my favourites but Jarl by Fyne Ales is the dug's baws and as refreshing an outburst of fruit as it's possible to get. Try especially on a hot summer's day! Others are Hurricane Jack and Avalanche by the same brewery and Black IPA and Edinburgh Gold by Stewarts and Punk IPA by Brewdog.

    Only thing that cheeses me off is the price, which I can appreciate with the smaller breweries, but such as Brewdog are making decent quantities of the stuff yet the price of a 30cl bottle can be the same or more than larger bottles from other smaller breweries.

  26. #145
    @hibs.net private member Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    52
    Posts
    55,217
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pointer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Haven't trawled through the whole thread to see if anyone's mentioned my favourites but Jarl by Fyne Ales is the dug's baws and as refreshing an outburst of fruit as it's possible to get. Try especially on a hot summer's day! Others are Hurricane Jack and Avalanche by the same brewery and Black IPA and Edinburgh Gold by Stewarts and Punk IPA by Brewdog.

    Only thing that cheeses me off is the price, which I can appreciate with the smaller breweries, but such as Brewdog are making decent quantities of the stuff yet the price of a 30cl bottle can be the same or more than larger bottles from other smaller breweries.
    Funny you should say that, Jarl is just about my least favourite pint. You would be cheaper just pouring some washing up liquid into a glass and downing it

    Tonight's tipples for me are.......

    Maclays 56 shilling, 6.9% - 5/10

    ......and Brewdog Brixton Porter, 5.0 % - 5/10

    I'm very strict with my scoring so 5/10 isn't too bad

  27. #146
    @hibs.net private member Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    52
    Posts
    55,217
    Just for info............


    Scottish Real Ale Festival 2014
    10-13th July (provisional)
    Edinburgh Corn Exchange, New Market Rd.

  28. #147
    @hibs.net private member Calvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,910
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Funny you should say that, Jarl is just about my least favourite pint. You would be cheaper just pouring some washing up liquid into a glass and downing it

    Tonight's tipples for me are.......

    Maclays 56 shilling, 6.9% - 5/10

    ......and Brewdog Brixton Porter, 5.0 % - 5/10

    I'm very strict with my scoring so 5/10 isn't too bad
    If you get your hands on one of the other prototypes, Interstellar, then you're in for a treat.

    I had Jarl on keg for the first time this week and thought it was decent! It was on at the same time as Tempest Long White Cloud though so was made to look bad.

  29. #148
    Veni, Vidi, Posti degenerated's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    At a post-punk postcard fair
    Age
    49
    Posts
    10,303
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: dave7062
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you get your hands on one of the other prototypes, Interstellar, then you're in for a treat.

    I had Jarl on keg for the first time this week and thought it was decent! It was on at the same time as Tempest Long White Cloud though so was made to look bad.
    I had one of the other prototypes, hobo pop. It was damn decent stuff.

  30. #149
    Do any of you lot do home brew ..?..

  31. #150
    Belhaven are about to launch a 'craft' range.

    5 beers in all. Tried 4 the other day: An IPA, a lager, a stout and I can't remember the other. The IPA was ok and the stout was very good (and gave a nice glow at 7.2%).

    The 5th, which the rep didn't have for sampling, was aged in Speyside whisky casks.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)