hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer thread

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    A couple recommendations guys: Game Bird by the Borders Brewery and Northern Light from Orkney. Couple of really nice ones and they're usually on tap if you're ever passing by Allanton!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Live very close to a Brewdog bar. Think it was only a one off but they had a rhubarb and demerara sugar porter that was brilliant.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I see Brewdog are doing a takeover of Dukes Corner in Dundee this weekend and I'm not there :(

Had a couple of pints of Kelpie last night which I was amazed to find on draft down here - love that stuff
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Hobgoblin is a decent pint, brewed in my home town

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Live very close to a Brewdog bar. Think it was only a one off but they had a rhubarb and demerara sugar porter that was brilliant.
    Rhubarbarian? The Aberdeen bar did that before I worked there (so a long time ago!)

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbybob View Post
    Only seen this twice and neither was in Edinburgh. Absolutely loved it! Tesco have it in cans but it's just not the same.

Anybody know of any Edinburgh pubs that have Belhaven Black?
    The Leith Beer Co has it Bob, used to be the Waterline.

just had a bottle of Iron Maidens "Trooper" ale....very nice..

@hibs.net private member hibbybob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    The Leith Beer Co has it Bob, used to be the Waterline.
    Cheers, I'll give it a go.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    Rhubarbarian? The Aberdeen bar did that before I worked there (so a long time ago!)
    Possibly! Was fantastic anyway.

Gamer IDs

I've been all about Oskar Blues brewery from Colorado this past couple of weeks. I've tried 9 or 10 of their beers and never been disappointed. Their G'Knight red ale aged in Port barrels is one of the best beers I've had this year. Saying that, I'm going to an Evil Twin beer dinner on Friday so that could change yet!

Gamer IDs

I've been all about Oskar Blues brewery from Colorado this past couple of weeks. I've tried 9 or 10 of their beers and never been disappointed. Their G'Knight red ale aged in Port barrels is one of the best beers I've had this year. Saying that, I'm going to an Evil Twin beer dinner on Friday so that could change yet!
    I really need to get back to Scotland - we don't get any exciting craft beers down here unless I head into London - plenty of local ales but I do miss having something like a Fuller Thompson on my doorstep.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by The Story So Far... View Post
    I really need to get back to Scotland - we don't get any exciting craft beers down here unless I head into London - plenty of local ales but I do miss having something like a Fuller Thompson on my doorstep.
    It's the same in most places though - up here I only ever drink at BrewDog even on my days off as even though most bars and pubs are beginning to latch onto craft beer a bit, still only have a very limited selection. Edinburgh and London are the only real exceptions to this in my experience.

However I suppose even the one FT or BrewDog bar is better than nothing at all! Is it mostly local cask stuff down there or do you get a decent kegged selection?

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: FleshCabbage
    Long White Cloud from the Tempest brewery is a thing of beauty, tastes a lot like grapefruit, fantastic beer. Another personal favourite of mine is Black Cork from Knops Brewery, I wrote an article on the revival of real ale when I was at university and, rather annoyingly, the guy I was writing the article with didn't spell my name right when it was put online! Here is a link to it and it explains what the Black Cork is: http://www.impulsemag-online.com/?p=3731 and it should be Stephens not Stevens

Gamer IDs

It's the same in most places though - up here I only ever drink at BrewDog even on my days off as even though most bars and pubs are beginning to latch onto craft beer a bit, still only have a very limited selection. Edinburgh and London are the only real exceptions to this in my experience.

However I suppose even the one FT or BrewDog bar is better than nothing at all! Is it mostly local cask stuff down there or do you get a decent kegged selection?
    Primarily local casked ales to be honest - we do get the odd gem kegs but it's mostly just really nice continental beers on tap rather than any craft beers (our local at the moment has Goesser, Leffe, Veltins and Weihenstephaner).

I found myself being excited the other day that our Union suddenly had Tiger on tap...

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    The term "craft beer" is it just a modern take on what used to be known as beer from micro breweries?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    The term "craft beer" is it just a modern take on what used to be known as beer from micro breweries?
    With a knicker surcharge added for the hipster.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    That's certainly part of it, but it's a broader term. I would certainly still class Sierra Nevada as craft beer despite their brewery being absolutely massive, and Goose Island are owned by InBev yet are still a craft brewer.

For me it comes down to ethos. Not making lowest common denominator stuff full of cost cutting measures and preservatives.

There are a lot of microbreweries that I wouldn't class as craft so while there's a lot of overlap, they're not interchangeable.

May have been mentioned already but there is a cracking wee beer shop at the shore beside the Sainsburys express. I try to pop in every few months to treat myself and try to pick up a few obscure beers I havent tried before.

Off the top of my head the best I have tried from there are Jaipur and Big Swell IPA. Love the Stewart beers with Radical Road being the one I've enjoyed the most. Also enjoy most of the Williams brothers beers, Good Times and Ceasar Augustus (Had to Google Ceasar Augustus as I couldnt remember the name and seen Grozet which was pretty nice too!) The one Williams brothers I just couldnt take to though was Roisin which is made with tayberries IIRC, that had stuff floating around in it which put me right off!

Tonight I'm currently drinking a bottle of Avalanche by Fyne Ales which is not bad. Went to Morrisons to get the fridge stocked up today with some Harviestoun Wild Hop IPA which is a favourite of mine, Sierra Nevada which I tried a few weeks ago after reading this thread and a couple of bottles of IPA to try, I think the name is Shepard Neame, will report back if its any good!

Had a bottle of March of the Penguins by William Bros. Best stout I have ever tasted, lovely stuff, really brilliant.

Went straight back to the Beerhive and bought another 6 bottles.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Gamer IDs

It is Zwanze day tomorrow, pretty exciting!

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    I'm liking the 4 newish Williams- prodigal sun, hipsway, gonny no brew that and the honey thief.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Only £1.32 a bottle in Tescos tonight for Northern Light, Raven Ale, Nimbus and reduced prices on most Williams Bros beers and many more

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Only £1.32 a bottle in Tescos tonight for Northern Light, Raven Ale, Nimbus and reduced prices on most Williams Bros beers and many more
    1.83 for black isles yellowhammer! Good value seeing that for less than 2 quid.

Couple of pints of Harviestoun Natural Blonde last night.

Think it was good but the excessive whisky consumption that came later has left the memory a tad hazy.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

BrewDog is absolutely everywhere here in Wellington now. Not that I'm complaining, the Punk IPA is a nice bevvy.

Gamer IDs

Well the combination of Zwanze Day and my last night in Aberdeen has given me a hangover right up there with the best today. Must have drank 30+ beers last night, the pick of which was a Hair of the Dog Doggie Claws Barleywine from 2003!

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Belhaven Best (Scotland)
    Peroni (Italy)
    Keith's I.P.A. (NS, Canada)

Oh hell, I'm thirsty now.

Looking forward to the opening of Growler on morningside road- they'll have a few casks, craft kegs and cider on for filling up 1, 2 or 3 litre bottles for off-sales only. Spoke to Stuart the guy running it briefly last week and he hopes to be open in the next few days. Seems a pretty good idea.
    Last edited by Mr White; 29-09-2013 at 08:05 AM.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by South Sub View Post
    Looking forward to the opening of Growler on morningside road- they'll have a few casks, craft kegs and cider on for filling up 1, 2 or 3 litre bottles for off-sales only. Spoke to Stuart the guy running it briefly last week and he hopes to be open in the next few days. Seems a pretty good idea.
    Sounds good, the options are expanding so rapidly in Edinburgh!

I went to The Kernel's brewery yesterday morning which was pretty cool. Then went to a wee pub for a gig last night whose two and bottle list was unexpectedly brilliant. Londoners really do have the right idea! Ended up with a Hackney Hopster by London Fields.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lofarl
    If you like real ale, craft beers and hard to come by beers, you are well served on Easter Road. Cornelius at the top of the road is a shop I frequent often solely to buy Augustina Helles which is a personal fav. I stay in Blackburn and I often travel into Edinburgh just to buy a few bottles. But I usually pick up a few real ales and craft brews.

Down the road, you have the mash tun which is my pre/post match boozer due to their fantastic real ales and craft beer selections. Annoyingly Hearts/Celtic seem to take over that bar when we play them.