hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer thread

On a similar vein i noticed last night that Wetherspoons Cider Festival continues until next Sunday. Sampled a couple, Philospher probably the best and easy to drink although its around 6-6.5%

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by South Sub View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Californian common, was a style developed during the gold rush I think. They've been around a while but bob knops has just moved out to new premises at archerfield after previously brewing at TSA.
    That's the one! I hadn't heard of them before, nice beer.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
    That's the one! I hadn't heard of them before, nice beer.
    Musselburgh broke and black cork are decent beers too, I think they're looking to expand now that they've moved to their own premises so id expect to see more of their beers appearing out and about now.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    On a similar vein i noticed last night that Wetherspoons Cider Festival continues until next Sunday. Sampled a couple, Philospher probably the best and easy to drink although its around 6-6.5%

Sampled a few in Corstorphine this afternoon myself, nice to have some decent cider away from the mass produced ****** that I sometimes revert to on a sunny day.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Had an Espresso Stout from some Japanese brewery last night.

Very pleasant.
    Hitachino Nest?

On the note of California Common, that's an alternative name for steam beer, of which Anchor Steam is the original and best example.

Currently drinking a Fantom Saison. Not a huge Belgian fan (Lambics excluded) but this has just enough sourness.

Craft beer has really taken off in Wellington in the last couple of years and now I struggle to drink any of the mainstream beers (admittedly after a period of resistance, mainly due to the craft beers being pretty expensive - about $10 / £5 a 425ml glass is standard here). IPA's seem to be my favourites. A few good ones I've had are............

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    London Pride is a lovely pint.

Rarely seen it here though.
    Agree. My drink of choice. My fridge is well stocked and live in London so get it in a few locals.

Bombardier and Black Sheep also deserve a mention. Old Hookey is good as well.

I'm beginning to see Deuchars down south a bit more although the way some of the southerners pronounce it is hilarious: Doo-shaars, doychers... I've even been corrected by a bar maid for pronouncing it properly.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    Craft beer has really taken off in Wellington in the last couple of years and now I struggle to drink any of the mainstream beers (admittedly after a period of resistance, mainly due to the craft beers being pretty expensive - about $10 / £5 a 425ml glass is standard here). IPA's seem to be my favourites. A few good ones I've had are............
    Those sound pretty good, I'll look to get my hands on some. Shipping time is the only thing that holds us back from getting more NZ beers over here. Saying that, I'm reasonably familiar with Epic and 8wired, Rennaisance too.

NZ breweries have an advantage in my eyes in that they can use Nelson Sauvin, my favourite hop, as fresh as it comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    Those sound pretty good, I'll look to get my hands on some. Shipping time is the only thing that holds us back from getting more NZ beers over here. Saying that, I'm reasonably familiar with Epic and 8wired, Rennaisance too.

NZ breweries have an advantage in my eyes in that they can use Nelson Sauvin, my favourite hop, as fresh as it comes.
    Yip, 8 Wired Tall Poppy is good, as is their Rewired, and Super Conductor (which I see is for sale via Brewdog's website, if you're interested). Epic is probably the one I go for most. Hop Zombie is great, and the Epic Pale Ale is good too. Liberty are another NZ brewery that have a few good ones, and there's also Croucher, as well as Parrotdog. Parrotdog Bloodhound is a really nice beer. I live about a 5 minute walk from both Parrotdog and Garage Project breweries and at both of them you can get beer fresh from the tap in a 2 litre bottle.

Do they have any of those NZ beers in the pubs in the UK?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    Yip, 8 Wired Tall Poppy is good, as is their Rewired, and Super Conductor (which I see is for sale via Brewdog's website, if you're interested). Epic is probably the one I go for most. Hop Zombie is great, and the Epic Pale Ale is good too. Liberty are another NZ brewery that have a few good ones, and there's also Croucher, as well as Parrotdog. Parrotdog Bloodhound is a really nice beer. I live about a 5 minute walk from both Parrotdog and Garage Project breweries and at both of them you can get beer fresh from the tap in a 2 litre bottle.

Do they have any of those NZ beers in the pubs in the UK?
    Only 8wired and Epic. As far as 8 Wired goes, I've had Hopwired, Super Conductor, Tall Poppy, Saison Sauvin, ReWired and iStout in the BrewDog Aberdeen bar recently, but haven't seen Epic for a while. However I've never even heard of any of the others you mention. There's a possibility that they don't even ship or distribute to the UK but I'll keep an eye out for them in the bottle shops.

drinking a malinsons nelson sauvin just now, beautiful. I spent a couple of years in nz ten years ago and craft brewing was getting pretty big back then, I imagine there's some fantastic beers made there now, I'm going to keep am eye out for the ones you've mentioned.

Just found out that The Scottish Real Ale Festival has been on at The Corn Exchange all w-end, thats a bit of a blow, usually make an effort to attend on at least one of the days :-(

Gamer IDs

Does anyone else on here have Untappd?

Left by mutual consent!
    Just found out that The Scottish Real Ale Festival has been on at The Corn Exchange all w-end, thats a bit of a blow, usually make an effort to attend on at least one of the days :-(
    I was there on the Saturday

Gamer IDs

So we've all had a teetotal few weeks?

I can't get enough of Black Racer by Bear Republic just now. The new BrewDog AB:14 is really unique too so have been sampling a fair bit of it. Our collaboration with the aforementioned 8wired has launched too, but I'm really not a pilsner man.

It's the GBBF down in London next week and I'm very tempted to head down. Some of the American beers that they have on draft look simply amazing.

So we've all had a teetotal few weeks?

I can't get enough of Black Racer by Bear Republic just now. The new BrewDog AB:14 is really unique too so have been sampling a fair bit of it. Our collaboration with the aforementioned 8wired has launched too, but I'm really not a pilsner man.

It's the GBBF down in London next week and I'm very tempted to head down. Some of the American beers that they have on draft look simply amazing.
    I'm tempted to head along to the GBBF the night before the game at Wembley next week, looks worth a trip. I'm staying in Shoreditch though which makes it a bit of a trek!

Gamer IDs

I'm tempted to head along to the GBBF the night before the game at Wembley next week, looks worth a trip. I'm staying in Shoreditch though which makes it a bit of a trek!
    I reckon you could get across London in half an hour, and will probably be worth it. Shame that they're still keg-sceptic. There are a few good beer bars in Shoreditch at least.

It opens to the public at 5pm I arrive in London early in the morning, I think the damage will already have been done by the time it opens!

I've read a lot about The Wenlock Arms near Old Street, might just pay that a visit instead.

Gamer IDs

It opens to the public at 5pm I arrive in London early in the morning, I think the damage will already have been done by the time it opens!

I've read a lot about The Wenlock Arms near Old Street, might just pay that a visit instead.
    Ah of course. I think I have a trade ticket if I want it, and if I do I'll probably head down. Not so keen now I've realised the football's on though.

Wenlock Arms is quite traditional I think, although it's not a bar I've ever visited.

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    Tonight I shall mostly be drinking
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375816786.516173.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1375816798.431343.jpg
    And given I'm on holiday just now I might have quite a few

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Ah of course. I think I have a trade ticket if I want it, and if I do I'll probably head down. Not so keen now I've realised the football's on though.

Wenlock Arms is quite traditional I think, although it's not a bar I've ever visited.
    You should take the ticket and give it to some welcoming fellow in the vicinity
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by The Story So Far... View Post
    You should take the ticket and give it to some welcoming fellow in the vicinity
    Found out tonight that my boss has taken the ticket. Next time!

Been necking a fair few pints of Avalanche by Fynes Ales recently, very nice.

Alright? and Cream Ale by Mikkeler werw also most enjoyable.

Oh and Titan IPA by Great Divide. For those who like their hops!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Oh and Titan IPA by Great Divide. For those who like their hops!
    If you like that then try Hercules, their IIPA. Their chocolate oak aged yeti stout is unreal too.

Hopefully I'll get to try the latest Mikkeller spontan series this week.

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    If you like your niche and obscure beers, my mate has just opened a new boozer at Abbeyhill (the old Station Bar) gone through a serious bit of renovation, kept some of the old features and re-opened as the Safari Lounge, loads of decent beers on draft and bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post
    If you like your niche and obscure beers, my mate has just opened a new boozer at Abbeyhill (the old Station Bar) gone through a serious bit of renovation, kept some of the old features and re-opened as the Safari Lounge, loads of decent beers on draft and bottles.
    Was in before the malmo game, they've done a good job, had a pint of Houstons peters well. 3 cask ales, west and custom lager from belhaven on keg. Will be back there for sure, food was decent too

These guys are very good too, from New Zealand. Had one tonight called "Oh, Brother", and IPA. Liberty Brewing Co. are the brewery, few of their beers pictured below. Can also get Brewdog on tap here now which I am pretty pleased about

@hibs.net private member hibbybob's Avatar

Belhaven Black

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Belhaven Black is by favourite beer right now.

Dark, rich and most hellish tasty.

Only seen this twice and neither was in Edinburgh. Absolutely loved it! Tesco have it in cans but it's just not the same.

Anybody know of any Edinburgh pubs that have Belhaven Black?
    Last edited by hibbybob; 15-08-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbybob View Post
    Only seen this twice and neither was in Edinburgh. Absolutely loved it! Tesco have in in cans but it's just not the same.

Anybody know of any Edinburgh pubs that have Belhaven Black?
    The Worlds End has the cask version.

I tried McEwans Red the other day. Is this just a rebranding of Export? Because that's what it tastes like. Also tried Caledonian Three Hops Lager. Was ok but nothing special.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years