hibs.net Messageboard

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Beer thread

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinGoBraghHFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not a fan of Spaten but I can’t get enough of Lowenbrau, their oktoberfestbier on PD is unbelievable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Love lowenbrau beautiful stuff. Not sure if I drank it last year at Octoberfest, not sure of anything, hofbrau was the best tent and beautiful beer

2. Log in to remove the advert

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    Love lowenbrau beautiful stuff. Not sure if I drank it last year at Octoberfest, not sure of anything, hofbrau was the best tent and beautiful beer
    Not been to Octoberfest, seems just too busy for my liking, I was at Canstatter Volksfest in Stuttgart a few years back and that was fun. Been to hofbrau place in Munich and it's decent beer. I do like lowenbrau a lot, I usually get lowenbrau, Spaten and unfiltered Stella for the perfect draft

Would still say that of all beers that Augustiner Helles beer is the king.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by degenerated View Post
    Not been to Octoberfest, seems just too busy for my liking, I was at Canstatter Volksfest in Stuttgart a few years back and that was fun. Been to hofbrau place in Munich and it's decent beer. I do like lowenbrau a lot, I usually get lowenbrau, Spaten and unfiltered Stella for the perfect draft

It's bizarre but surprising calm for hundreds of thousands of drinkers, can't see it in uk. About 8 massive tents of 5k plus and other smaller tents. Some tents deliberately very quite, some tents a party. No sure I'd do again but more pleasant than I expected, although I probably am not the best judge after a few litres

It's bizarre but surprising calm for hundreds of thousands of drinkers, can't see it in uk. About 8 massive tents of 5k plus and other smaller tents. Some tents deliberately very quite, some tents a party. No sure I'd do again but more pleasant than I expected, although I probably am not the best judge after a few litres
    Canstatter in Stuttgart is the 2nd biggest and definitely worth a visit. I was on a jolly with a supplier and we had a table in one of the big massive chalets. Was pretty lively inside.

Just remember walking in to a wall of heat and an oompah band playing AC/DC songs and stuff like that.

Few Guinness through the nitrosurge as I’m off tomorrow. Cheers guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

When I first started drinking, American beers over here were all pretty similar bland light beers from the multinationals... changed times.
    Rolling Rock was nice when they imported it. Really refreshing. Then they started brewing it under license in burton-on-Trent and it tastes like all the other slop that comes out of that town.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    Rolling Rock was nice when they imported it. Really refreshing. Then they started brewing it under license in burton-on-Trent and it tastes like all the other slop that comes out of that town.
    This is becoming quite a problem for many beers. Finding beers that are genuine imports from Europe or North America is getting increasingly difficult. One of my favourite beers has always been Leffe, but I noticed the 4 pack x 330ml bottles have started being brewed under license in the UK and there's a notable difference in taste.

I've always been a sucker for Czech lagers, but again, finding a genuinely produced Staropramen or Budvar from Czechia is becoming increasingly difficult. Pilsner Urquell remains superstar tier for me, and thankfully that still seems to be genuine import still...

The craft beer revolution that swept the US happened about the time I started drinking and we used to get all sorts of truly lovely stuff readily imported from the US, but the options have been significantly throttled in recent years - even finding previous staples like Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, Brooklyn is becoming harder - even then, I think both Sam Adams and Brooklyn are both UK produced!

It all comes down to the water - the chemistry of the UK's water sources is completely different to that which produces beers in Belgium, Germany, East/West of the USA, so you can replicate the brewing process to the letter, but with a change in the base ingredient, you're never going to properly recreate these beers.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This is becoming quite a problem for many beers. Finding beers that are genuine imports from Europe or North America is getting increasingly difficult. One of my favourite beers has always been Leffe, but I noticed the 4 pack x 330ml bottles have started being brewed under license in the UK and there's a notable difference in taste.

I've always been a sucker for Czech lagers, but again, finding a genuinely produced Staropramen or Budvar from Czechia is becoming increasingly difficult. Pilsner Urquell remains superstar tier for me, and thankfully that still seems to be genuine import still...

The craft beer revolution that swept the US happened about the time I started drinking and we used to get all sorts of truly lovely stuff readily imported from the US, but the options have been significantly throttled in recent years - even finding previous staples like Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, Brooklyn is becoming harder - even then, I think both Sam Adams and Brooklyn are both UK produced!

It all comes down to the water - the chemistry of the UK's water sources is completely different to that which produces beers in Belgium, Germany, East/West of the USA, so you can replicate the brewing process to the letter, but with a change in the base ingredient, you're never going to properly recreate these beers.
    Definitely.

You even see it when beers move to different regions of the UK. McEwans was never going to win many plaudits from the beer aficionados but 70 and 80 were solid cask and latterly keg beers when brewed in Edinburgh. Since moving down south they are markedly different and not for the better imo.

With foreign beers there is almost an element of deception to it. A beer like Madri takes that to the extreme but even among beers that were originally imported the 'brewed under license in the UK' information is usually so small and tucked away that you need a magnifying glass to see it. All the marketing alludes to them still being an imported and genuine product and they just aren't.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by degenerated View Post

Do you know anywhere to get the helles beer in Uk? had a few bottles of this randomly in Munich a few years ago actually think I got them from a vending machine in a bakers or something for back at the hotel room and they where incredible

Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    Do you know anywhere to get the helles beer in Uk? had a few bottles of this randomly in Munich a few years ago actually think I got them from a vending machine in a bakers or something for back at the hotel room and they where incredible
    Beer hive on Rodney street used to have them.

A warning for folk with the Philips PerfectDraft.

On the Facebook page I'm on there seems to be a lot of machines breaking down around the 2 year mark. The liklihood of it breaking down is increased if the machine is switched off for a period of 3 or 4 weeks or more.

It's apparently a simple fix if you know how or £50 by Philips if you're outwith the 2 year manufacturers warranty.

Mine broke down with a week to go till that warranty ended and by official underhand means which others are unlikely to get, I'm getting a new machine!

As Degenerated has said the Beer Hive on Rodney Street stock it. They have a great selection of German and Czech lagers, pilsners etc along with their wider craft offering.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    Sell it in Brauhaus. If you want a similar Edinburgh beer Paulozzi beer is great. Can get it lots of bars also in Aldi and Sainsbury's. They have a bar and restaurant on Forest Rd, restaurant is a nice modern Italian. If in the Weej St Mungos lager by West brewery is a great German style beer, can get it a few pubs now and also Lidl

@hibs.net private member
    Sell it in Brauhaus. If you want a similar Edinburgh beer Paulozzi beer is great. Can get it lots of bars also in Aldi and Sainsbury's. They have a bar and restaurant on Forest Rd, restaurant is a nice modern Italian. If in the Weej St Mungos lager by West brewery is a great German style beer, can get it a few pubs now and also Lidl
    St Mungos is nice, never tried the Paulozzi though I’ll give that a go, lidls also stock the Victoria Malaga now mentioned further up the thread looks like trump is on the label a decent drop as well

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post

On the Facebook page I'm on there seems to be a lot of machines breaking down around the 2 year mark. The liklihood of it breaking down is increased if the machine is switched off for a period of 3 or 4 weeks or more.

It's apparently a simple fix if you know how or £50 by Philips if you're outwith the 2 year manufacturers warranty.

Mine broke down with a week to go till that warranty ended and by official underhand means which others are unlikely to get, I'm getting a new machine!
    Thanks for heads up I will probably fall foul to this since mine is off more than it’s on, think it’s been in the cupboard since early summer

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post

Thanks for this. Good to know (although I think I must be just over the 2 years and mine is more often on than not). I have a Perfect Draft and a Sub Compact. The Sub broke a month after the warranty ended. Two things actually went wrong. The handle unit wouldn't go flush with the machine meaning it didn't stop pouring when you lifted it back to the resting position. Now it doesn't cool the beer/cider at all.

On the imported beer point, you notice a difference with these machines. Stella, for example is the higher strength Continental version on the Perfect Draft. Stella is my father-in-law's favoured pint and he brought some over. We had the tail end of a Stella keg from the machine followed by the cans he brought. Like night and day.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Thanks for this. Good to know (although I think I must be just over the 2 years and mine is more often on than not). I have a Perfect Draft and a Sub Compact. The Sub broke a month after the warranty ended. Two things actually went wrong. The handle unit wouldn't go flush with the machine meaning it didn't stop pouring when you lifted it back to the resting position. Now it doesn't cool the beer/cider at all.

On the imported beer point, you notice a difference with these machines. Stella, for example is the higher strength Continental version on the Perfect Draft. Stella is my father-in-law's favoured pint and he brought some over. We had the tail end of a Stella keg from the machine followed by the cans he brought. Like night and day.
    Yeah, the Stella is the real deal. Others, like Corona are brewed under licence. I might do myself a wee table of real deal/brewed under licence 😆
    Space to let

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    St Mungos is nice, never tried the Paulozzi though I’ll give that a go, lidls also stock the Victoria Malaga now mentioned further up the thread looks like trump is on the label a decent drop as well
    Paolozzi is probably one of my favourite beers - used to order boxes of the stuff during lockdown as they did home delivery.

Spent many a night utterly ******ed on the stuff.

Edited to add - they used to sell the unfiltered stuff by the tank in Brewhemia, but no longer stock it sadly. You can still get their unfiltered stuff in cans (direct from Edinburgh Beer Factory's website), and it's very tasty indeed.

EBF's other stuff is a bit hit or miss for me - Paolozzi definitely their superstar.
    Last edited by Sylar; 22-11-2023 at 06:23 PM.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

@hibs.net private member
    Had Paolozzi a couple times and I can’t say I see what the fuss is about. Usually horrendously over priced and imo an average at best lager.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    Had Paolozzi a couple times and I can’t say I see what the fuss is about. Usually horrendously over priced and imo an average at best lager.
    That what I thought too.

Anyone been to the pilot taproom at bonnington? Looking to buy some cans of peach sour and the Hibs ones