hibs.net Messageboard

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer thread

Was in Cologne recently and I must say that their locally brewed lager Kölsch was fantastic.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by adhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I realy enjoyed the festival on saturday night, everything about it was excellent. Hopefully it returns next year. I might even go for a full weekend ticket.
    Went on Saturday afternoon and it was good. The inclusive drinks were a real bonus rather than mucking about with cash/tokens etc. As ever with these things, hard to even recall many of the beers I had or what my favourites were! I know there were some goodies though!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    Went on Saturday afternoon and it was good. The inclusive drinks were a real bonus rather than mucking about with cash/tokens etc. As ever with these things, hard to even recall many of the beers I had or what my favourites were! I know there were some goodies though!
    The inclusive drinks definately added to the experience. I'm likewise in forgetting a number of the things i tried, were definately more highlights than disapointments though
    Last edited by adhibs; 31-05-2017 at 09:56 PM.

German Bier Tent in Princes Street Gardens from 1-4 June, £3 per half pint, no ta!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    Glad to hear it - I know the guys behind it so had no doubt it would go well. Definitely need to make it up the road next year - looking forward to the London edition in early August though!

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    Glad to hear it - I know the guys behind it so had no doubt it would go well. Definitely need to make it up the road next year - looking forward to the London edition in early August though!
    My only minor gripe was the programme - clearly a well put together publication, but far too big and impossible to carry around all day. I ditched it in the end. A small brochure with a map and brief description of each beer is all that is needed at these things IMO.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Tennent Caledonian of all people have 3 cracking new beers on sale in Tesco just now. Caledonia 3 Hop, Outpost Ale (I think) and a whisky cask one. Can't quite believe how good they and only £1.65. When I saw they were Tennents I wasn't going to pick them up which is poor on my part but luckily I gambled!

I've been drinking Shipyard American pale ale recently. Mostly from Sainsbury's but I have seen it in a couple of pubs. Tastes a bit like Camden Pale Ale if anyone has had that.

Had a couple of abashiri blue beer.

It's a blue beer.

From japan.

Tasty but very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Had a couple of abashiri blue beer.

It's a blue beer.

From japan.

Tasty but very expensive.
    Never heard of blue beer before but will keep an eye out for it. How would you describe it?

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holmesdale Hibs View Post
    Never heard of blue beer before but will keep an eye out for it. How would you describe it?
    Probably bitter!

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Probably bitter!
    Tee hee! I see what you did there.

Had a few realy nice things over the last couple weeks. The cloudwater helles and citra dipa were both excellent.

The six d north/12 triangles - sourdough, was a bit strange but enjoyable as well. Sour to begin then followed by rye, good summer session beer for the 2.2% abv.

Thornbridge - Tart, was another good sour. Being stocked in tesco at realy reasonable prices.

Cornelluous had added Goller - kellerbier, to their German section last week. Not a style ive drunk much of but was realy good.

Had a couple good ipas recently in Brewski - Pango, and basqueland brewing project - impareable.

Testimonial Due
    Just recently discovered this thread so apols if already mentioned.

Absolutely love Tempest Unforgiven, amazing dark, smokey flavour - but it seems to hsve disappeared from the face of the earth. Used to have it in Holyrood 9a but not anymore.

Agree about Innis & Gunn lager, really enjoy that.

Im starting to get into porters and stouts - quite enjoy Brewdog Black Heart and ive been recommended Orkney Porter which i need to try.

The Brass Monkey on Leith Walk does a mean pint of Schiehallion too.

The rate of change and variety is brilliant, and it must be brillisnt for all of these small local breweries.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post

Im starting to get into porters and stouts......
    Get yourself a bottle of Black Gold and have it at room temperature, not from the fridge. The major supermarkets all have it.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Get yourself a bottle of Black Gold and have it at room temperature, not from the fridge. The major supermarkets all have it.
    March of the Penguins is my favourite stout. One of the few Scottish stouts I can actually get over here fortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    Just recently discovered this thread so apols if already mentioned.

Absolutely love Tempest Unforgiven, amazing dark, smokey flavour - but it seems to hsve disappeared from the face of the earth. Used to have it in Holyrood 9a but not anymore.
    Almost certain beets on Bernard Street had that in stock last week. Is a realy nice beer.

I'm not really sure to be honest... it's heavier than a lager, but not particularly heavy. Its worth a drink anyway. Only seem to be able to order it online. £20 for 8 cans though!!

Had some hop house 13 recently too and they were quite nice. Nothing special but decent enough.

Drank a Becks I got bought. F me it was bogging!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    March of the Penguins is my favourite stout. One of the few Scottish stouts I can actually get over here fortunately.
    I like that one too although its not really a summer drink. Midnight Sun is good too.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 05-07-2017 at 09:16 AM.

As an aside The Scottish Real Ale Festival is on at The Corn Exchange this week (6th-8th), £6 entry.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 05-07-2017 at 09:21 AM.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Had a few bottles of "****ing Hell" last night. It's called "****ing" after the Austrian town of the same name and "Hell" because that's German for light in colour". Wasn't too bad a brew.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    I am in a book club where subscribers can choose between crime or non-fiction and for £10 a month plus postage you are sent a new book and 2 cans or bottles of beer. Great way of finding new breweries
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Non-alcoholic beers can be so hit or miss, but I actually tried one over the weekend that I really enjoyed (and it was only 36 calories a can, which is fine as I'm currently trying to lose some weight).

Infinite Session was the brewery, and I really enjoyed their American Pale Ale.

I also quite liked the Brooklyn effort that our local Tesco are currently stocking and I tried last week.

First Team Regular StevesFamau5's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ImFamau5nStuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Non-alcoholic beers can be so hit or miss, but I actually tried one over the weekend that I really enjoyed (and it was only 36 calories a can, which is fine as I'm currently trying to lose some weight).

I also quite liked the Brooklyn effort that our local Tesco are currently stocking and I tried last week.
    Still yet to find one I actually enjoy, Becks Blue is vile, Heineken & Bud prohibition brew are tasteless.

I did try the Camden Brewery week nite (low alcohol), really enjoyed it but at £1.80 a tin and 7 quid for a 4 pack, it's a tad pricey.

Hate to admit it but I actually am enjoying Micheleob Ultra atm, the USA cans not the poor UK effort

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post

I have tried most on the market and concluded that I enjoy drinking Lime and Soda far more than any of them.

Just come back to this as I don't even remember having posted in here!

The beer was fine, I'm not a huge lager fan (I'll happily drink tennents tbh). It was interesting enough though!

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StevesFamau5 View Post
    Still yet to find one I actually enjoy, Becks Blue is vile, Heineken & Bud prohibition brew are tasteless.

I did try the Camden Brewery week nite (low alcohol), really enjoyed it but at £1.80 a tin and 7 quid for a 4 pack, it's a tad pricey.

Hate to admit it but I actually am enjoying Micheleob Ultra atm, the USA cans not the poor UK effort
    I was the same until someone introduced me to Krombacher alcohol free Weizenbier with a shot of pink grapefruit juice. Absolutely delicious and great served ice cold on a hot day.

Quote Originally Posted by StevesFamau5 View Post

Try the Brewdog one. Though it might be 0.5%. It was surprisingly nice I thought.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Try the Brewdog one. Though it might be 0.5%. It was surprisingly nice I thought.
    It's called Nanny State and is not bad at all.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    It's called Nanny State and is not bad at all.
    Have a try of Punk AF too. There's a sour called Raspberry Blitz also - all 0.5%.