hibs.net Messageboard

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer thread

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have a try of Punk AF too. There's a sour called Raspberry Blitz also - all 0.5%.
    Tried 2 pints of the Punk AF in the Doghouse in Glasgow today. For an alcohol free beer, it's really good!

I also tried a bottle of Moretti Grani Antichi (from my local Tesco of all places) tonight, and it was absolutely glorious! Quite like a blonde Leffe, but much more intense. One of the tastiest beers I've ever tried, but at £5 for a 750ml bottle, it's not cheap.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I see Fierce are opening a bar on Rose Street this weekend. Definitely one on my list of places to try.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Anyone know of a decent place for a drink in Dingwall? Seems to be a choice of the Mallard or Caledonian.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Craft Beer Festival at The Biscuit Factory this w-end, if I'm reading the t&c's correctly it seems awfy dear for a 6 pint limit.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Anyone know of a decent place for a drink in Dingwall? Seems to be a choice of the Mallard or Caledonian.
    Good while since I've been in Dingwall but that's pretty much it. Oscars is/was a not bad sports bar but it's a bit out, on the Strathpeffer road.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    The Royal and National hotels have bars. Wouldn't bother really but the Royal is just across the road from the Caley

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    The Royal and National hotels have bars. Wouldn't bother really but the Royal is just across the road from the Caley
    Cheers guys. Had a pint of average ipa in the caledonian and now in the Mallard and have eaten and on the second pint of an OK pint of Belhaven derived ale.

Enjoying a nice cold bottle of Northern Light from Orkney, really nice pale ale

The pre-match pint of Belhaven Best in the Hoppy was very brisk. Somewhere around 3 glasses poured to get one proper pint. After a minor mix up at the taps, my pint had a quick injection of Strongbow. Amazingly, it didn’t taste any worse.

Not something I would order again though. 😂

I had a pint of Melba by Thornbridge in the Bow Bar yesterday. Peach IPA, very decent. Also had a pint of something dark and very malty, proper Scottish heavy type beer in the Guildford but I was too pished to remember the name by that point. I think it was good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Also had a pint of something dark and very malty, proper Scottish heavy type beer in the Guildford but I was too pished to remember the name by that point. I think it was good though.
    That's the sort of stuff I tend to go for if getting involved in beer, very rarely in the summer months though, March of the Penguins and Midnight Sun from Williams Bros or Orkney Dark Island.

Gamer IDs

I had a couple of Stewart Brewing's "First World Problems" earlier - didn't realise quite how strong it was on top of other stuff I'd drunk, so I'm currently on water....lovely tipple though!

I had a couple of cans from Lost Pier Brewing, Apa Actually American pale ale and Paddleboarder Pale Ale. I got them through the book club I'm a member of...

Books and Beer, monthly parcel of a crime novel and 2 cans of different beers, £10 plus postage a month 😎📖🍺

Gamer IDs

I've switched to a lot of alcohol free beer in the past couple of weeks (alcohol doesn't mix with new medication I'm on). Cap tipped to Brewdog - they have a growing, and really nice variety of alcohol free beer. I already liked their Nanny State, but their Punk AF, Hazy AF, Lost Lager AF are all very good imitations.

Prior to that, I was doing my best to keep the Edinburgh Beer Factory in business - I've gone through about 5 cases of their Paolozzi since lockdown started back in March.

Also, I was lucky enough to get a box of the Brewdog Barnard Castle Eye Test, which arrived today - it's the one exception I've made to alcohol free in the last 14 days and it was very tasty indeed.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    I've switched to a lot of alcohol free beer in the past couple of weeks (alcohol doesn't mix with new medication I'm on). Cap tipped to Brewdog - they have a growing, and really nice variety of alcohol free beer. I already liked their Nanny State, but their Punk AF, Hazy AF, Lost Lager AF are all very good imitations.

Prior to that, I was doing my best to keep the Edinburgh Beer Factory in business - I've gone through about 5 cases of their Paolozzi since lockdown started back in March.

Also, I was lucky enough to get a box of the Brewdog Barnard Castle Eye Test, which arrived today - it's the one exception I've made to alcohol free in the last 14 days and it was very tasty indeed.
    I’ve bought the Barnard Castle Eye Test as well. Looking forward to it arriving!

I went a few weeks earlier in the year alcohol free and ended up trying the punk and hazy AF. Wasn’t a huge fan of the punk but the hazy AF was good and I would happily drink a few at a bbq or whatever if I had to stay sober.

Best one I found though was the Erdinger Alkoholfrei, tasted just like normal beer and it’s isotonic so I’m pretty confident it was good for me too :-)

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Started on beers from Winton Brewery in Dunbar. Can get draft on takeaway from Station Yard. My first Swally of draft last week was bliss, simple pleasures these days. Going to trying a few of their offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    Started on beers from Winton Brewery in Dunbar. Can get draft on takeaway from Station Yard. My first Swally of draft last week was bliss, simple pleasures these days. Going to trying a few of their offerings.
    Beer Garden is available for bookings.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Beer Garden is available for bookings.
    I live in Leith, visit the town for family and golf, so sadly can’t use the garden and then drive home 😡

M&S are selling alcohol free beer from Staropramen. It’s labelled as Czech Lager and 0.5%.
    It’s very good £1.50 per bottle .

I'd love a beer but I'm waiting till The Abbotsford opens. My favourite pub. I wouldn't go into any of the pubs around Corstorphine. Too many old tossers coughing their livers out.

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    Not just old tosses that cough there livers out

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    I'd love a beer but I'm waiting till The Abbotsford opens. My favourite pub. I wouldn't go into any of the pubs around Corstorphine. Too many old tossers coughing their livers out.
    I was in Winstons yesterday, not an old tosser or a cougher to be seen. Just a landlord and his team giving great service and great beer to a limited capacity of 23 customers.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    The Cumberland and Guildford are both open so wouldn't imagine the Abbotsford will be far off reopening.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I was in Winstons yesterday, not an old tosser or a cougher to be seen. Just a landlord and his team giving great service and great beer to a limited capacity of 23 customers.
    It's a bit cliquey. Sorry if you're one of them! I always feel I'm entering someone's living room.

The staff are good, I admit. It's a well run place, or used to be.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Is there a reason that alcohol free beers always have low levels of alcohol in them? Is it to do with the brewing process?

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Is there a reason that alcohol free beers always have low levels of alcohol in them? Is it to do with the brewing process?
    Not sure but I believe it is because it all starts the process as normal beer until the boiling process burns off the alcohol, the trace is to retain the flavour of beer.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Not sure but I believe it is because it all starts the process as normal beer until the boiling process burns off the alcohol, the trace is to retain the flavour of beer.
    You're quite right in that most alcohol free beers are close to normal beers but with the alcohol stripped out at the end. There are a few ways to do this but whatever way it happens, it's traditionally been an illogical process as you have to make something whole and then destroy a bit of it. For example, the amount of grain it takes to ferment a beer up to 4% is a lot more than it would take to ferment a beer to 0.5%. Therefore a more modern way of doing it is just to strip down the malt bill, lessening the amount of sugars available for fermentation and stopping the ABV getting higher. This also comes with the benefit of not stripping anything out and retaining better flavour.

For the original question, having the 0.5% leeway allows for better flavour and a low level of fermentation while still not clocking in as an alcoholic drink. It's pretty impossible to make beer that is 0.0% using a good method (in much the same way that orange juice isn't 0.0% due to the nature of the ingredients.)

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    I've no vested interest in this, but I see that Broughton Brewery in the Borders has started a crowdfunder to help them keep afloat through the difficulties they're experiencing as a business due to Covid. I'd imagine there'll be a few in the same boat. I've always had a soft spot for Broughton as they were the first small, localish brewery I was aware of in my early boozing days, thanks to my old man. They've always done pretty interesting beers their Greenmantle was probably my introduction to anything other than fizzy lager, and it would be a shame to see them go down the tubes, so to speak.

Details of the crowdfunder is here: https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/save-t...wery-broughton

First Team Regular StevesFamau5's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ImFamau5nStuff
    Quote Originally Posted by G15 Hibs View Post
    I've no vested interest in this, but I see that Broughton Brewery in the Borders has started a crowdfunder to help them keep afloat through the difficulties they're experiencing as a business due to Covid. I'd imagine there'll be a few in the same boat. I've always had a soft spot for Broughton as they were the first small, localish brewery I was aware of in my early boozing days, thanks to my old man. They've always done pretty interesting beers their Greenmantle was probably my introduction to anything other than fizzy lager, and it would be a shame to see them go down the tubes, so to speak.

Details of the crowdfunder is here: https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/save-t...wery-broughton
    Aye I saw that as well.

Grew up in the village so I was introduced to Greenmantle and Auld Jock at a young age.

It would be a damn shame if they were to fold.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk