hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer thread

Beer thread

There's been a couple of threads like this before but you can't beat a good discussion about beer.

Currently a huge fan of:

William Bros Seven Giraffes
    Timothy Taylor Landlord
    Brewdog JackHammer
    Cairngorm Trade Winds
    Stewart Pentland IPA
    Fallen Smokehouse Porter
    Peroni Gran Riserva
    Pretty much everything by Harviestoun.

Anyone else got any favourites at the moment?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

When I first started drinking, American beers over here were all pretty similar bland light beers from the multinationals... changed times.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Fix - a dark Greek beer that recently (to my knowledge) has been appearing sporadically in a few off licences.....sexy as hell.

Also, March of the Penguins...don't know much about it apart from it's well tasty
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's been a couple of threads like this before but you can't beat a good discussion about beer.

Currently a huge fan of:

Timothy Taylor Landlord
    Brewdog JackHammer
    Cairngorm Trade Winds
    Stewart Pentland IPA
    Fallen Smokehouse Porter
    Peroni Gran Riserva
    Pretty much everything by Harviestoun.

Landlord I put up with John Smiths....bogging stuff!
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Currently a huge fan of:

Stewart Pentland IPA

These 2 definitely and most Williams Bros beers, Ceaser Augustus, Birds and Bees are both barry for the summer...

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Discovered a lot of nice local ales since moving down to Surrey including Hogsback T.E.A, Hamerpot, Hambledon bitter which are all nice enough.

Was recently in Belgium with work and discovered a real love for both draft Juliper and Leffe - beautiful beers.

Before moving from Scotland, our local pub in Dundee had a great range of beers on tap including Brooklyn, Anchor Steam, Fraoch, Kelpie, Sierra Nevada and Mikkelour.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I used to be a fan of real ale but sadly I just find it's not served cold enough for my liking so never bother with it anymore.

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    I'm a massive fan of Innis & Gunn - both the taste and its local origins.

I love all the flavours I have tasted so far and have just noticed there is a Scottish Pale Ale variety which I have yet to sample.

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    I'm a massive fan of Innis & Gunn - both the taste and its local origins.

I love all the flavours I have tasted so far and have just noticed there is a Scottish Pale Ale variety which I have yet to sample.
    I concur I love Innis & Gunn, mostly bottles I drink but I have had the odd pint of draught.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    London Pride is a lovely pint.

Rarely seen it here though.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Belhaven Black is by favourite beer right now.

Dark, rich and most hellish tasty.

Gamer IDs

One I forgot from my list which I discovered at the start of the week was Fuller's Honeydew. Beautiful summer pint!

I'm not a Lager fan but do enjoy a pint of West St Mungo Lager.

I grew up in Liverpool drinking a pint of Golden (1/2 Lager over 1/2 Bitter) or a Brown Bitter ( 1/2 bitter in a pint glass topped with a bottle of brown)
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 12-07-2013 at 09:29 AM.

I'm not a big real ale drinker, but, do enjoy a nice porter type pint now and again.

Don't get involved much during the summer, but, I do enjoy Orkney Dark Island, Black Paw Dark Seam, Mordue Workies Ticket and Batemans 4XB. Not had Batemans for years though, not sure it still exists.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 12-07-2013 at 09:23 AM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

When I first started drinking, American beers over here were all pretty similar bland light beers from the multinationals... changed times.
    Despite having tried hundreds and hundreds of craft beers over the last couple of years, I think that if I could only drink one beer for the rest of my life then Sierra Nevade Pale Ale would be a genuine contender. So consistent, so refreshing and balanced, and despite Sierra Nevada being such a big brewery now, they have not compromised on quality.

Quote Originally Posted by The Story So Far... View Post
    Before moving from Scotland, our local pub in Dundee had a great range of beers on tap including Brooklyn, Anchor Steam, Fraoch, Kelpie, Sierra Nevada and Mikkelour.
    Was it Duke's that you drank at?

Funnily enough I'm wearing my Mikkeller t-shirt today. I was out at his bars on Copenhagen in May - just simply phenomenal.

On Wednesday it was Brodie's Haggis Basher takeover in Edinburgh. Really good to get an extensive selection of Brodie's stuff up here. His Fruits of the Forest sour is just immense. Was very impressed with the Kiwi PA too.

I had my very first Pliny the Elder by Russian River last week. I can see why it has the reputation it does. Still not sure that it beats Stone Ruination for me if you're after an imperial though.

On the Scottish side of things, everything coming out of Cromarty just now is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I concur I love Innis & Gunn, mostly bottles I drink but I have had the odd pint of draught.
    Have you found anywhere that sells full pints? Anywhere I have seen it on draught, it's always half pints - I presume because of the strength.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I'm not a big real ale drinker, but, do enjoy a nice porter type pint now and again.

Don't get involved much during the summer, but, I do enjoy Orkney Dark Island, Black Paw Dark Seam, Mordue Workies Ticket and Batemans 4XB. Not had Batemans for years though, not sure it still exists.
    Oh aye and Orkney Skull Splitter too, quite an apt name if imbibed to excess!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    Despite having tried hundreds and hundreds of craft beers over the last couple of years, I think that if I could only drink one beer for the rest of my life then Sierra Nevade Pale Ale would be a genuine contender. So consistent, so refreshing and balanced, and despite Sierra Nevada being such a big brewery now, they have not compromised on quality.

Was it Duke's that you drank at?

Funnily enough I'm wearing my Mikkeller t-shirt today. I was out at his bars on Copenhagen in May - just simply phenomenal.

On Wednesday it was Brodie's Haggis Basher takeover in Edinburgh. Really good to get an extensive selection of Brodie's stuff up here. His Fruits of the Forest sour is just immense. Was very impressed with the Kiwi PA too.

I had my very first Pliny the Elder by Russian River last week. I can see why it has the reputation it does. Still not sure that it beats Stone Ruination for me if you're after an imperial though.

On the Scottish side of things, everything coming out of Cromarty just now is excellent.
    It was, aye. They're probably the best bar in Dundee as far as I'm concerned with the array of beers (both craft and more well known) they have and they regularly rotate them.

I've not heard of a lot of the ones you've just ran off so it gives me some new ones to seek out

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Have you found anywhere that sells full pints? Anywhere I have seen it on draught, it's always half pints - I presume because of the strength.
    Pretty sure I had a pint in the Canon's Gait though that was a couple of years back.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    Quote Originally Posted by The Story So Far... View Post
    It was, aye. They're probably the best bar in Dundee as far as I'm concerned with the array of beers (both craft and more well known) they have and they regularly rotate them.

I've not heard of a lot of the ones you've just ran off so it gives me some new ones to seek out
    All of the Fuller Thomson pubs are really quite good. They had Lagunitas IPA on in their Edinburgh bars this week which suited me well - first time I've seen it for a wee while.

It's Edinburgh Independent Beer Festival this week. Probably the best week of the year to be in Edinburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Pretty sure I had a pint in the Canon's Gait though that was a couple of years back.
    Fair shout - not been in there. Had half pints a few places. Apparently Malones is getting I&G on draught so will see what they offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    All of the Fuller Thomson pubs are really quite good. They had Lagunitas IPA on in their Edinburgh bars this week which suited me well - first time I've seen it for a wee while.

It's Edinburgh Independent Beer Festival this week. Probably the best week of the year to be in Edinburgh.
    The Hollyrood 9a is good for craft beer. It had a few of the other Sierra Nevada beers including The torpedo and their wheat beer not long ago. Not that far from Easter Road either.

First Team Breakthrough
    15 cans of Carling for a tenner out of Sainsburys at Straiton. There's no many left, and I mean in the fridge here, plenty up at Straiton

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Belhaven Black is by favourite beer right now.

Dark, rich and most hellish tasty.

Just spent the whole day in Dunbar with family (missing the match fortunately) and was introduced to this in can form.

This will be the stout of choice from now on. It has a subtle taste and goes down well yet isn't watery. Lovely ice cold too

Had sierra nevada last night, brilliant pint.

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    My fridge is typically full of warsteiner, bitburger, jever, augustiner, paulaner or something like that. You can't beat the crisp refreshing taste of a German bier on a hot summers day.
    On the beer side of things I like a red cuillin, innes and gunn beers, the punk or hardcore ipa's by brewdog and most of the Williams bros stuff I've tasted.

Had an Espresso Stout from some Japanese brewery last night.

Very pleasant.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Not that you'd think it from my avatar but I'm a big fan of tryst beers just now. Their hop trial varieties over the last couple of years have been fantastic. Other than that if I had to pick my top 3 favourite craft brews just now it would be kernels table beer, black isles yellowhammer and oakhams citra.

Regularly drink-
    Brewdog Punk IPA
    Black isle blonde
    Innis and gunn

There are some excellent Scottish beers around just now. As part of my job I occasionally test beer and had one in recently that was quite tasty, Knops Californian something or other, think it's a new brewery and I've not seen it around yet.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
    Regularly drink-
    Brewdog Punk IPA
    Black isle blonde
    Innis and gunn

There are some excellent Scottish beers around just now. As part of my job I occasionally test beer and had one in recently that was quite tasty, Knops Californian something or other, think it's a new brewery and I've not seen it around yet.
    Californian common, was a style developed during the gold rush I think. They've been around a while but bob knops has just moved out to new premises at archerfield after previously brewing at TSA.